2015 Ondrej Nepela Trophy Ice Dance SD and FD | Page 11 | Golden Skate

2015 Ondrej Nepela Trophy Ice Dance SD and FD

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I like them too. (Their SD was strangely awesome :yes:.) But the Shibs are my pair, and that program was amazing, and even without the levels, it was the best program there. So I was not happy with the result. Good for G/P, though! That's got to be a great confidence boost.

Understandable. I'm happy for G/P and even more excited cause only 20 days until Skate America! GASP!!!!! LESS THAN 3 WEEKS!

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It made me happy to see G/P's reaction. It's no secret the aren't my favorite team in general, but to see people so happy in the K&C is very nice.

I felt exactly the same. I think their joy of skating and new energy, being excited about a new direction, showed in this program. I like the program very much. Even though it was yet another mechanical doll thing. I repeat, that idea must have been floating through the air, knocking on everyone's door the past 6 months!

Barb

Record Breaker
OMG! I am done, first Sara and Adria´s disaster and now this, fortunately Mao saved my day.
Anyway poor Shibs, their program is fabulous, I LOVE IT:love::love:. And since when C/B are with Igor? Why Igor went to Nepela with C/B and no Marina with Maia and Alex?

Mohacz

Medalist
Country
Poland
OMG! I am done, first Sara and Adria´s disaster and now this, fortunately Mao saved my day.
Anyway poor Shibs, their program is fabulous, I LOVE IT:love::love:. And since when C/B are with Igor? Why Igor went to Nepela with C/B and no Marina with Maia and Alex?

A couple of months ago I read somewhere that the British federation forced C/B to change coaches. That's why they left Evgeni Platov. From what the skaters said, I assume they weren't satisfied with this movement and it was a really tough decision.

bramweld

Record Breaker

Marina is working with Katsalapov and Sinitsina. The Shibs are with Massi.

chezzu

On the Ice
Finally watched the ShibSibs; wow that program has SO MUCH POTENTIAL. I hope they get someone to work with them on levels (admittedly I am not an ice dance expert so I couldn't see what was wrong) because this program would be such a waste if they throw the TES away.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Igor was there with more than one team. Maybe that made a difference. But I really really think Marina should have been there with her top current couple.

Marta25

Medalist
It`s only 3 weeks until Skate America, S/K`s first Grand Prix and the Challengers showed it`s tough to get the World`s minmum for the SD, which they still need. I guess Marina stayed in Detroit to ensure S/K are as well prepared as they can be, considering Nikita`s injury.

Meoima

Match Penalty
It`s only 3 weeks until Skate America, S/K`s first Grand Prix and the Challengers showed it`s tough to get the World`s minmum for the SD, which they still need. I guess Marina stayed in Detroit to ensure S/K are as well prepared as they can be, considering Nikita`s injury.
:disapp: so she ditched the Shibs for S/K?

belladashwood

Rinkside
How did C/B get higher PCS than the Shibs though?

Well, it helps Coomes & Buckland that they recycled their FD from last season, it really is beautifully choreographed. What Igor did is help improve their tech elements with more added difficulty while also improving their skating skills. Like Chock & Bates, Coomes & Buckland have a significant height difference, what Igor helped them with is matching their leg lines which helps them look more aesthetically pleasing which is just one reason why they passed the Shibs.

This is a warning to Zueva's group, not an indictment on the Shibs. The program is not technically savvy. They need to fix this if they want their teams to be serious contenders.

I have to agree, I saw where so many points were left on the table for the Shibs. Zueva's group definitely needs a strong tech coach, the Shibs aren't hitting their levels. Their combo spin could've been more difficult (more catch-foot positions, Chock & Bates had 2 in theirs). The Shibs also need to skate closer together and more closed hand holds. They have a great skating skills, deep edges, & amazing twizzles; but they need more difficulty.

Honestly, this doesn't look good for Maia & Alex because by not beating Gilles & Poirer here their standing as US #2 is in jeopardy. If Maia & Alex don't improve on their SD & FD, then I look for Hawayek & Baker to jump up grab that #2 spot at nationals come January.

Last edited:

gmyers

Record Breaker
:disapp: so she ditched the Shibs for S/K?

Shibs are far more established and aren't desperate to be a real team with sd tech minimums. Until s/k get tech mins they aren't even a real team and I'm sure marina wants them to be a real team.

tulosai

Record Breaker
I have to agree, I saw where so many points were left on the table for the Shibs. Zueva's group definitely needs a strong tech coach, the Shibs aren't hitting their levels. Their combo spin could've been more difficult (more catch-foot positions, Chock & Bates had 2 in theirs). The Shibs also need to skate closer together and more closed hand holds. They have a great skating skills, deep edges, & amazing twizzles; but they need more difficulty.

Honestly, this doesn't look good for Maia & Alex because by not beating Gilles & Poirer here their standing as US #2 is in jeopardy. If Maia & Alex don't improve on their SD & FD, then I look for Hawayek & Baker to jump up grab that #2 spot at nationals come January.

Their spin actually got level 4. The issue is the step sequences where they got a level 2 and a level 1. For both step sequences together they only got about 11 points, versus about 15.5 points for C/B and G/P. Essentially that WAS the difference.

Hyena

Tous les whiskys
Medalist

Maia and Alex got level 4 on their spin, but level 2 on the circular step sequence and level 1 on the diagonal step sequence. The GOE could've been better on the steps and on their first two lifts as well. I'm glad they got good GOE for the third lift (rotational), because it was the most impactful part of the program for me, along with their twizzles.

EDIT: Haha, tulosai beat me to it :) Great minds think alike?

Last edited: