United-States
save some popcorns for Davis/Smolkin :devil: you're going to need them
Just saw the score....
1696010043785.jpeg

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Once in a while, I feel like going for the nuclear option when doing my predictions. And I did it for Ice Dance here, going with my heart rather than my brain.
I get it, exactly. But going with heart, unless it aligns generally with current stats, talent & ability, plus status, rep, and politics, your points margin in the prediction contests will not be high. 🫤

I didn't see the RD, and I didn't get my predictions in either. But looking at the scoring results to me reads like a kind of political blueprint. Fear& Gibson are solid favorites with a political juggernaut behind them. And yes, they are highly entertaining, but these are not their best programs, and she is not as skilled an ice dancer as he is.

Gleb is a very good ice dancer, while Diana is just Eteri's daughter. She gets by slightly in the RD, in the shadow of Gleb's excellence. Diana is awful in the Black Swan FD. Looking at her failure to launch as a graceful ballet swan, hurts my eyes.

Zingas/ Kolesnik have huge talent & potential, and their coach is super skilled in fs politics. I look forward to seeing their programs this season. Vadym obviously also has a lot of buzz as a former World champion in junior ice dance, with Avonley Nguyen. Plus, U.S. fed is solidly behind this team.

Taschlerova/ Taschler are fun to watch when they are on. I have enjoyed some of their performances. I'm not sure they are better than Lajoie/ Lagha, though. But the ice dance status quo apparently kicks in here, but it didn't with Zingas/ Kolesnik. 🤔 It goes without saying that Fear/ Gibson are untouchable in this field. 🫡 Moreover, in the case of 2nd place team, while Gleb carries the partnership, Diana is just along for the ride, and her mother is... yeah we know. 🤷

There should be a class called: Figure Skating Politics 101. And another entitled: IJS: The Art of Manipulating PCS Scores for Placement Outcomes. 😬 📚 📝 🎻 ⚖️

Last edited:

throw_triple_flip

Final Flight
Country
United-Kingdom
Judges' breakdown

Canadian judge managed to place L/L first
Ukrainian judge had Davis/Smolkin first
Slovakian judge had Zingas/Kolesnik second
Czech judge had the Taschlers second
The politics complaints on social media always get targeted toward certain teams.
I wonder how much of pass the Canadian judge will get, considering their scoring could possibly be construed as them supporting a 'fan favourite' team (a team that some of their fanbase loves to infantilise to what I consider quite an unhealthy degree).

throw_triple_flip

Final Flight
Country
United-Kingdom
But looking at the scoring results to me reads like a kind of political blueprint. Fear& Gibson are solid favorites with a political juggernaut behind them. And yes, they are highly entertaining, but these are not their best programs, and she is not as skilled an ice dancer as he is.

Gleb is a very good ice dancer, while Diana is just Eteri's daughter. She gets by slightly in the RD, in the shadow of Gleb's excellence. Diana is awful in the Black Swan FD. Looking at her failure to launch as a graceful ballet swan, hurts my eyes.

Zingas/ Kolesnik have huge talent & potential, and their coach is super skilled in fs politics. I look forward to seeing their programs this season. Vadym obviously also has a lot of buzz as a former World champion in junior ice dance, with Avonley Nguyen. Plus, U.S. fed is solidly behind this team.

Taschlerova/ Taschler are fun to watch when they are on. I have enjoyed some of their performances. I'm not sure they are better than Lajoie/ Lagha, though. But the ice dance status quo apparently kicks in here, but it didn't with Zingas/ Kolesnik. 🤔 It goes without saying that Fear/ Gibson are untouchable in this field. 🫡 Moreover, in the case of 2nd place team, while Gleb carries the partnership, Diana is just along for the ride, and her mother is... yeah we know. 🤷

There should be a class called: Figure Skating Politics 101. And another entitled: IJS: The Art of Manipulating PCS Scores for Placement Outcomes. 😬 📚 📝 🎻 ⚖️
With all due respect, how can you possibly know any of that is true?

Where did it come from? Did anyone genuinely in the know tell you this? Or is coming from fan speculation/ the gossip side of things? You clearly have strong opinions but that doesn't make them reality.

Personally, i think Fear and Gibson have some very good programs this year. I'm not even a huge fan of them (I thought the past couple of year they played it too safe), but that free is a standout, an inventive and fun crowd pleaser. I also think audience reaction will sway judges in terms of component in the performance component score. So it's clever.

And I'm not a huge Davis and Smolkin fan, but I do get why judges appreciate some of their qualities. You come across as blinded by a dislike for her mother, which is really unfair (even if there was some truth to the alleged shenanigans that got them an Olympic spot).

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Well.. I finally got to watch LaLa.

I loved their RD. Fine. Mistakes. But it brought me back to Thriller vibes, one of the first LP my older brother bought. We watched the video as kids and for a very rare time with these 80s RD, I felt brought back ! People have complained that sometimes Zach doesn't bring enough personality to the ice : well it was certainly there today !

The Canadian judges are usually well-known for tough love on their athletes. An example of that happened right here today as the Canadian judge had BB in 7th, a spot lower than the overall panel. So, one Canadian judge exceptionally ranked favourably one of their own teams? Oh WELL. The Earth will not stop turning, especially since the scores are very close, most of the gain was on GOE and aside the twizzles, the rest is not really far off. PCS wise, the Canadian judge went with Lilah and Lewis in first place. It makes me believe that the Canadian judge may simply not have forgotten that Lala were substitutes for GPF last year and not saved their GOE for later skaters, despite Lala skating first.

The British judge put Lala in 8th place. Why nobody is mentioning that puzzles me. The beneficiary may look like it was Fear Gibson at first glance but it really is Phebe and James who were ranked 4th by the British judge :) The British judge even had them as 3rd place in PCS. So yeah... :)

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
a team that some of their fanbase loves to infantilise to what I consider quite an unhealthy degree
what do you mean by that ? I am part of their fanbase for sure. Just here. I don't do other social medias. Some of us were following Zach and Marjo when they were very young skaters, maybe some nicknames stuck, some comments too... but infantilising? You got me puzzled here. Care to explain?

rain

Record Breaker
what do you mean by that ? I am part of their fanbase for sure. Just here. I don't do other social medias. Some of us were following Zach and Marjo when they were very young skaters, maybe some nicknames stuck, some comments too... but infantilising? You got me puzzled here. Care to explain?

I was really puzzled by this particular comment, too. I don't follow juniors, so didn't see this pair until they became seniors. I've never seen any fans here infantilize them, but I don't tend to wander all the social media either. Some of it horrifies me, lol.

But I can't imagine being infantilized is what any team would want in SENIOR dance, or that such a thing would be an asset.

Anyway, I was not thrilled (pun intended) when I heard they were skating to Thriller, but I was pleasantly surprised by the edit they've chosen and how well it works for them.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Once in a while, I feel like going for the nuclear option when doing my predictions. And I did it for Ice Dance here, going with my heart rather than my brain.

I was so tempted to put Marjorie and Zachary at the top, but after reading that they were starting at #1 (thank you @rain for pointing that out. I don't normally pay too much attention to the start orders), I decided to be cautious and put them in 2nd position instead! :p

Instead, I put my kids Emilea and Vadym on top! And Nadiia and Peter in 3rd!

Oh, and then I had the two British partnerships, but with Phebe and James ahead of Lilah and Lewis.

I know that as a result of this, I'm probably going to crash and burn. But, I don't care! Since so many of my favourites are here, I want to show myI don' support for them for a change!

CaroLiza_fan
I don't think they will end up on top but a medal is definitely a possibiity.

I often say "skaters skate now for their GPS next year" and that's what Phoebe and James are doing. I love them! He's Gracie's boyfriend who got her to skate last season so I will love them whether they can skate or not.

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I don't think they will end up on top but a medal is definitely a possibiity.

Looking at the scores for the Top 4, Lilah and Lewis may have a 4.07 point lead, but it is not a big advantage. If they make a mistake or two, everything could be up for grabs. There is only 3.28 points covering the next three partnerships, so Emilea and Vadym have a good shot of climbing to 2nd. But, they have just as good a shot of dropping to 4th. So, they will have to make sure they have a good Free Dance.

I have to say, I am disappointed that Majorie and Zachary (5th) are 4.34 points behind the Taschlers (4th). I thought they were a sure bet for 2nd. Or at least would have been right in the battle for the podium positions. That said, I see that the PCS for the two partnerships is exactly the same, at 32.65 points.

And what a nice round TSS that Marjorie / Zachary have: 70.00 points!

I often say "skaters skate now for their GPS next year" and that's what Phoebe and James are doing.

I know this is not what you were getting at, but this sentence just put an image in my head of skating by SatNav.

"Twizzle for 10 yards and then Combination Spin". "Combination Spin".

"At the Triple Axel, turn left." "Turn left".

After a fall on first part of a combination jump: "Recalculating".

It was so funny! :laugh:

I love them! He's Gracie's boyfriend who got her to skate last season so I will love them whether they can skate or not.

Wow! I didn't know about James and Gracie! I never would have imagined that they would even know each other, never mind be dating.

I have loved Phebe since I first saw her in her previous partnership. She was talented beyond her years!

Plus the fact that she is absolutely gorgeous helps! :love: ;)

CaroLiza_fan

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
btw.. watched both F/G and D/S. Have you guys noticed how both Lilah and Diana often are slightly tilted on the second set of twizzles in the other direction ? It's like they often lose balance on there.. yet they get away without losing GOE nor levels ?
I am not a dance expert but if I can see this awkardness in real time ( not need for slo-mo) I wonder why the lack of balance is not penalize. If it's something judges are lenient on for everyone, fair enough but at the same time, some teams do not have this issue.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Looking at the scores for the Top 4, Lilah and Lewis may have a 4.07 point lead, but it is not a big advantage.
In dance, that's a huge advantage.
I have to say, I am disappointed that Majorie and Zachary (5th) are 4.34 points behind the Taschlers (4th). I thought they were a sure bet for 2nd. Or at least would have been right in the battle for the podium positions. That said, I see that the PCS for the two partnerships is exactly the same, at 32.65 points.

And what a nice round TSS that Marjorie / Zachary have: 70.00 points!
There is nothing nice about this score :) Yes, they made a mistake but skating first really wasn't helpful. Some of the GOES received were very stingy. Marjorie and Zachary shouldn't be held up. That's not what I am saying. However, their RD, despite the twizzle error, was a real thrill ! :) and it wasn't rewarded enough for what it was. The consolation is that it's their first competition of the year, they scratched from ACI. So clearly, it's going to get better and better. They are over 10 points under their PB so that score for them is atrocious.