2024 World Championships Rhythm Dance | Page 45 | Golden Skate

2024 World Championships Rhythm Dance

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The early groups were on Peacock but there was about a 20 min loss of feed in the middle.
And I’m currently watching the replay of the early groups. They put up a “RD Part 1” and “RD Part 2” with part 2 being up before part 1. I’ll be interested to see if they’ve repaired the middle or just left it out.

So sad James and Phoebe did not make it. So close.

DancingCactus

Final Flight
This is pissing me off.

C/B are good. But they aren't good enough to justify this big a lead. I've accepted that the judges will never give Piper and Paul what they deserve for whatever reason. I don't like the Italians, but they are by far better skaters than C/B.
Maddie is the most beautiful woman in all of figure skating and their lifts are amazing. But she's been spending more and more time posing and being lifted instead of skating. Their rhythm dance is blah.

I don't get it.

Also, what the hell Davis/Smolkin.

GGFan

Record Breaker
Sorry but this post will be focused on ice dance politics. Last year I worried that ice dance was heading in a 90s direction after having a pretty decent period of about 15 years or so. After the short I'm still worried. If you're going to manipulate things you should at least let the storyline follow the situation at hand and not go off the rails. This is not the quad of a couple or two who are way above the rest. You have three teams with different strengths who all have flaws (sorry but none of your faves this quad are Virtue/Moir level). If I was writing this storyline I would give each team one world championship* so that all of the fans are on their toes for the Olympics (of course throw this all out if P/C come back).

If they go with where I think they're going--Maddie and Evan winning two straight with decent margins of several points--it's going to piss people off. As someone who enjoys C/B a lot I also don't think that's good for them. Traditionally in ice dance when one camp is favored too much eventually there's a backlash. I think every other fed/camp is going to be pointing out every single flaw in C/Bs skating over the next couple years and that could end up eventually hurting their scores. Fans could also begin to turn on them if they sense favoritism.

At this point it would be naive of me to think that politics will completely leave ice dance, but they need to back off on being so heavy handed.

*This year you give it to G/P at home and next year you give it to the Italians so that Italy is excited going into the 2026 Olympics.

Last edited:

LadyB

Record Breaker
A big hug for Tashlers. Poor babies, they always give it all on the ice, but such things sometimes happen 🤷‍♂️ Well, it was also wobbly sometimes for Hubbell and Donohue but they eventually got their Olympic medal. I wish the same for this nice couple.
I defo wish the Tashlers all the best in future. They'll be around for a bit, they will build on previous strong results.

kolyadafan2002

Fan of Kolyada
Final Flight
You have three teams with different strengths who all have flaws (sorry but none of your faves this quad are Virtue/Moir level).
Then mark their strengths and flaws fairly.
If skating skills are Chock/Bates weakness, don't give them the highest skating skills in the event. The other teams have no chance to win based on their strengths, as their strengths are being marked below Chock/Bates weaknesses. And likewise, Chock/Bates are never marked down for their flaws. Even when falling in a world championship last season.

muptgirl

On the Ice
this is another one that doesn't sit well with me... FBS mess up the twizzle and they lose 5 ranking spots... or so... and some teams make a glaring mistake and get a season's best.
Understandable. But the twizzle is a required element, the fall last year was in a transition between elements. So only the deduction for the fall, not loss of BV on element like FBS got

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
The early groups were on Peacock but there was about a 20 min loss of feed in the middle.
In the middle? I don't see any of the early groups on the replay. It starts with Davis/ Smolkin with no explanation about a loss of feed. Peacock is horrible! 😡

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Understandable. But the twizzle is a required element, the fall last year was in a transition between elements. So only the deduction for the fall, not loss of BV on element like FBS got
I am aware of that ;) they lost levels... but their PCS was heavily factored down... which wasn't the case with the fall on not-an-element-leading-to-a-season-best-score deal :)

Axel Rose

On the Ice
I was in the arena yesterday and I think standing ovation perspective depends on where you’re sitting. I heard a huge ovation for Chock and Bates, people leapt to their feet in my section.

I was surprised to hear loud cheering for FBS/S. It was certainly not muted, as Christine Brennan tweeted. There might be some measure of confirmation bias with her. I was expecting boos or people refusing to clap. It was the opposite - there were a lot of people standing to cheer. I expect a lot of people in the audience don’t know about the accusations.

Personally I think the top 3 skated well, but P/P are noticeably slower. The Italians’ glide is so impressive in person. C/B also had a great performance, I came out thinking what a “complete” and confident program from start to finish.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I was in the arena yesterday and I think standing ovation perspective depends on where you’re sitting. I heard a huge ovation for Chock and Bates, people leapt to their feet in my section.
Yup. Very true. That's why I posted about it because my section went crazy for LaLa and Piper and Paul... nobody else in the RD.
I was surprised to hear loud cheering for FBS/S. It was certainly not muted, as Christine Brennan tweeted. There might be some measure of confirmation bias with her. I was expecting boos or people refusing to clap. It was the opposite - there were a lot of people standing to cheer. I expect a lot of people in the audience don’t know about the accusations.
That is my feeling as well.
Personally I think the top 3 skated well, but P/P are noticeably slower. The Italians’ glide is so impressive in person. C/B also had a great performance, I came out thinking what a “complete” and confident program from start to finish.
I agree P/P are slower... but they are skating with their music... It will be interesting to see if they have more flow today as their FD has some moments with big sweeping phrases. I agree with the Italian having the best glide. I also agree with CB giving a great performance. I don't agree with the "complete" program feeling but that's okay... We don't have to agree on everything :) haha :)

GGFan

Record Breaker
Then mark their strengths and flaws fairly.
If skating skills are Chock/Bates weakness, don't give them the highest skating skills in the event. The other teams have no chance to win based on their strengths, as their strengths are being marked below Chock/Bates weaknesses. And likewise, Chock/Bates are never marked down for their flaws. Even when falling in a world championship last season.
I don't know if you missed the point of my post. Of course the dream is for the judges to just judge fairly. That's what everyone wants--that's never been in dispute.

My point is that given the history of the sport it's naive to think that politics will disappear. The goal should be to keep it in check and right now the signs point to us being in a period where it might be getting out of hand again. On the one hand while I think it has been good to allow for more creativity, completely moving away from objectivity has left way too much room for the judges to play around.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States

Canadian coverage of C&B's RD.

Commentators are Asher Hill (ice dancer) and Kurt Browning. The camera angles are different from the ISU feed and the synch between the music and the video seems better.

Interview by Canadian media post FD.

Thanks to @siberia82 for the upload :cheer:

Lamente Ariane

Skating Skills -5, Fashion +3, Camp +4
Record Breaker
Shot in the dark here, but does anyone have working links to the early groups of the RD (or the FD)? Even with VPN I am struggling… I’d particularly like to see KoKo, Bekker/Hernandez and rewatch Carreira/Ponomarenko. So frustrating infrontsports is blocking everything as usual…

slider11

Medalist
I wonder how Parsons and Green feel not being on the team and seeing Bratti and Somerville not make the FD.
Hopefully, this will motivate Green and Parsons to rest and then rev up for a new season. There was a vague comment after Nationals of "chronic" injuries. Hopefully, those are addressed and the Michigan team can guide them to better vehicles that highlight their technical skills and innovative style. I was curious why only Greg Zurlein was at Worlds; Detroit is not that far from Montreal. Hoping that school is prospering and not feeling overwhelmed by the Montreal school.