2015 World Team Trophy Mens SP Apr 16 | Page 20 | Golden Skate

2015 World Team Trophy Mens SP Apr 16

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
Max's SP (Apologies for the poor quality, it's the best I've come across so far... well, only thing I've come across so far. :laugh: )

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
Sorry, misspelled his name, corrected it. Aaron always gets me, always has. That double A! :disapp:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
My baby Han Yan did so well today :) that was really beautiful. Still problematic on the 4t but the rest was perf!! Now he can say adios to this very unfortunate choice of music and work on a stellar program for next season.

My other baby Yuzu was so upset, that was quite sad. But I think he still skated really well.

On another note, ISU really should stop with this judges' anonymity thing. Literally, the scores are all over the place!!

Your other baby Yuzu should not be sad. Wow. He still would have been over 90 with another fall. This is absolutely killing the sport. There have been complaints about Carolina and Patrick and even Megan and Eric but as much as Yuzu is adorable his skating skills are not of the extraordinary level of Lambiel, Buttle or Chan and his programs are not the masterpieces of Kwan Torill and Dean or G and G; he is one step down which is way ahead of the rest. But how can we rationalize such generous marks. this is pretty scandalous. His performance level wasn't up to his best with the big mistake. Most skaters are a bit down other than maybe Gracie and Weaver and Poje. Really disappointing to see such a ridiculous score. Brown and Han should have been closer. Very sad indeed.

Scovies

Final Flight
Can we PLEASE just stop with so and so's being overscored , the judges are being generous, no one should get PCS that high bandwagon! I'm sick of it everytime Hanyu gets his scores the first thing people do is scream overscored.😣 We're NOT the judges! The WTT is a fun event and I want to enjoy it without this drama!

Well, then what else do we have to talk about? ;)

I'm sorry, I just laughed because your post is the first one I read when I came to the thread to throw in my two cents on the scoring. :laugh: I do think it's important to discuss the scoring, because while WTT is a fun event and something that's good for all of the skaters who participate -- they're all guaranteed a nice payday and it never hurts to build a fanbase in Japan if you want to make a career skating in shows -- it can be symptomatic of scoring problems in competitions that "matter" more.

I adore Hanyu's SP, and I was holding my breath for him to finally give a clean performance of it (I left late for work this morning just so I could watch it!). It's such a beautiful program, and I thought he gave a lovely performance of it.

But... it's really strange to me that he scored over 2 points higher this time around compared to the GPF where he had the exact same fall on his 3Z-3T, even though he had an UR jump today on top of the error in the GPF. And while I wouldn't necessarily object to his GOEs and most of his PCS if I only watched his performance, I do have some issue with how he was scored relative to the field. I don't think Han Yan should be scoring a point lower than Hanyu on SS, and Jason Brown should at the very least be equaling Hanyu on spin GOEs. And while it's my own personal opinion, I really don't think that a SP with a fall that forces someone to fall behind the music in their step sequence should get scores in the 9s for P/E. I felt the same way at Cup of China, when he got 8s in P/E for an LP with 5 falls and nearly identical PCS to a clean Misha Ge, who's no slouch himself in the artistry department.

I really like Hanyu! Go back to the GPF thread, and you'll see me defending his SP score versus Machida's, for instance. This isn't about Hanyu, but the judges, and this is the kind of scoring that has the potential to make figure skating fans turn on him a bit in the same way some did with Patrick Chan. And that's a really stupid thing to happen to one of the most likable, talented skaters I've ever seen. It's also unfair to the skaters who compete against him and may deserve comparable (or even better, in some cases) scores to Hanyu's but don't get them. This sport can get very frustrating to watch if the judges decide that a skater is almost unbeatable even if they make multiple errors. For what it's worth, I agreed with the placements. I just don't think Hanyu should have been scored that high relative to Han and Jason. It doesn't matter much here, but that kind of thing matters very much during the Grand Prix, 4CC, Europeans, and Worlds.

In other news, I desperately want Han Yan to work with Daisuke Takahashi for a few months on how to use his head and shoulders when he performs. He has great skating skills and I really like his programs, but I feel like he never moves from the clavicles up.

Edit: Yay, Max's SP! Thanks so much, sabinfire! I'm a little shocked at how well Nessun Dorma works for him. He clearly needs more time to work on the program, but I really liked his step sequence despite his slight stumble. Something about the booming voice of Pavarotti and Max's speed (and much-improved presentation, IMO) really meshed well together. I think this could be a great program for him once he gets more time to work on it.

Last edited:

Bumdid

Record Breaker
Tks Sabinfire for the Max's video. I actually like this program infinitely than Footloose though there was so much two foot skating in it. Hopefully he'll continue to work on his skating skills on the off season.

Meoima

Match Penalty
So it wouldn't matter to you if Gracie Gold is now the World Record Holder for the Ladies SP? :unsure:
no problem at all. Honestly, this is a fun event. They didn't rob her off the first place. I don't care much. People often call WTT a not serious event, so why now over enthusiastic about it?

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
no problem at all. Honestly, this is a fun event. They didn't rob her off the first place. I don't care much. People often call WTT a not serious event, so why now over enthusiastic about it?
These things count for WRs and PBs--that's why I care. And no, I don't personally hold stock in scores (we all know a clean SP from 2005 would get the same score as an SP with ~2 errors today). But these things go down in records. It would be rather unfair to Mao Asada if her WR randomly got broken by Gracie Gold with no 3A only one year later.

unico

Final Flight
I wouldn't have given Hanyu a SB for this performance, and I don't think other fans of him would either, the rut that he seemed to hit on his 3A-spread eagle was distracting and the < fall was more disruptive than at the GPF. But I also wouldn't have given a PB to Jason Brown, whose PB before came from the Olympics, where he skated an absolute stunning program with better/comparable jump and spin quality, but definitely better CH/PE/IN and no ! call on the lutz. But score inflation this season is pretty high among all disciplines, and of course it would be highest of all at cheesefest-of-cheesefests WTT. I would lower Hanyu's PCS by about 2-3 points to reflect the fall and give him slightly lower +GOE on the 3A, but ultimately, I don't think it's worth griping about the scoring at a not-so-serious competition and one where segment ordinals matter more so than points. Even though they technically "count", I'm sure most people think of the scores with a "*" next to them.

On spin GOE, I will say that even though Brown has amazing (perhaps the best) centering, positions, and speed on his spins, Hanyu is the only one here who really uses his spins as choreography, not just changing positions to the music, but see the way he uses his arms and wrists to reflect subtle nuances.

Your other baby Yuzu should not be sad. Wow. He still would have been over 90 with another fall. This is absolutely killing the sport. There have been complaints about Carolina and Patrick and even Megan and Eric but as much as Yuzu is adorable his skating skills are not of the extraordinary level of Lambiel, Buttle or Chan and his programs are not the masterpieces of Kwan Torill and Dean or G and G; he is one step down which is way ahead of the rest. But how can we rationalize such generous marks. this is pretty scandalous. His performance level wasn't up to his best with the big mistake. Most skaters are a bit down other than maybe Gracie and Weaver and Poje. Really disappointing to see such a ridiculous score. Brown and Han should have been closer. Very sad indeed.

Do you just copy+paste these same comments over and over? Don't worry, when Chan comes back we can all have a field day complaining about who is most overscored and most killing-the-sport between Chan, Hanyu, Fernandez, Ten, Brown, and whoever else we don't like on that day.

Meoima

Match Penalty
These things count for WRs and PBs--that's why I care. And no, I don't personally hold stock in scores (we all know a clean SP from 2005 would get the same score as an SP with ~2 errors today). But these things go down in records. It would be rather unfair to Mao Asada if her WR randomly got broken by Gracie Gold with no 3A only one year later.
;) maybe a WR is too much as we all know Gracie is far from that, but even if they gave it to her I don't mind honestly. As for PB in a not so serious event, why so worked up about it? Even Russian fed officials do not mind at all if you read their interviews. This is a "commercial event" after all. They didn't rob anyone of their medal.

but ultimately, I don't think it's worth griping about the scoring at a not-so-serious competition and one where segment ordinals matter more so than points. Even though they technically "count", I'm sure most people think of the scores with a "*" next to them..
yeah right, WTT is supposed to be fun. What make me a bit sad is that team Japan look so "unimpressed" with the event the most. Kanako looked like she was trying to be funny but in vain. Satoko was too shy. Mura simply stood there and did nothing much. The junior pair is too new they didn't seem to feel comfortable enough. And Yuzuru's reaction was technically like this: :unsure::scowl::disapp:

Last edited:

ruffledgrouse

Record Breaker
Let's stop being debbie-downers! WHO'S EXCITED FOR THE FREE SKATE!!!!!! :hb::rock::party:

ME! :party2:

Has anyone managed to locate a video of Max's skate, yet? Has ISU made any statement why the stream went out? I'm beginning to worry that it may not have been recorded, which...poor Karne :laugh:

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
;) maybe a WR is too much as we all know Gracie is far from that, but even if they gave it to her I don't mind honestly. As for PB in a not so serious event, why so worked up about it? Even Russian fed officials do not mind at all if you read their interviews. This is a "commercial event" after all. They didn't rob anyone of their medal.
Well, if it's just for fun, don't let the scores count for PBs and WRs then. The skaters are getting money, so I don't think they need those as extra incentives.

I don't really have issues with, say, Yuzuru's 96 since no one wuzrobbed and it set no WRs or PBs. But if he scored he broke his own WR with that, it would be a little baffling, no? Imagine someone checking his ISU profile, seeing where he got his SP PB, looking up the performance and going :scratch:.