nice peacock costume

3A
3F+3T
FCSp
StSq
3Lz
CSSp
CoSp

Wow what an improvement on the jumps! Good for him!

Hiroaki Sato (of Naked Bolero fame) is in the top 6! Hooray! I loved his program. So wacky and true to who he is.

Last edited:

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
You know how to read selectively, I'll give you that. Context. Anyway, I'm out. Enough of this.

Khoai

Match Penalty
But regarding 'haters gonna hate', if people really think just pointing out that Shoma didn't deliver at the major 2nd season events so far or that his jumping technique is far from ideal is nothing but hate... then you're also being pretty blind here. Heck, Yuzu also has trouble delivering at worlds because he always pushes himself too hard and gets injured - pointing that out also has nothing to do with hate. But if 'haters gonna hate' is the only thing people can hold against it... have fun with that :confused2:
Agree with this. The truth is, skaters always have their issue and people pointing out those issues and complaining that they do not deserve the scores for the poor technique and construction of their programs. These are all valid. None of the top men get no criticism for all the things they do.

My biggest issue is Mr. Uno does not get punishment for the pre-rotation issue he has. And he is getting the same and even much higher PCS with other men who have much less crossovers and more skating and body transitions than him. And if people look at the scores Mr. Uno got at Cup Of Russia this season, some of his jumps with very weak landings still got good GOE. How is that fair?

That said, Mr. Uno is guaranteed to win Japan National this time. I can not see any scenario in which Mr. Mura can win this.

Last edited:

kornkorn

Rinkside
There is no need to "elevate Yuzu's greatness". He is doing it by himself. But oh, you say we should stop being critical to Uno? Why? So everyone can bash Yuzuru, Chan, Jin and so on, just the little Shoma should get a special treatment? Okay then.....

Yuzu is phenomenal, he's way beyond anyone in the field when he's at his best. I get that, I think that myself. Yuzu is arguably the greatest male skater of all time already at such a young age.
Whereas Shoma still has flaws. Apologies if my comment was misinterpreted, I just wanted to mention that it's a tad annoying how @khoai would always compare him to Yuzu one way or another in every comment regarding Shoma. Everyone get that he's not at Yuzu's level, so why the comparison? :confused2:

Khoai

Match Penalty
Yuzu is phenomenal, he's way beyond anyone in the field when he's at his best. I get that, I think that myself. Yuzu is arguably the greatest male skater of all time already at such a young age.
Whereas Shoma still has flaws. Apologies if my comment was misinterpreted, I just wanted to mention that it's a tad annoying how @khoai would always compare him to Yuzu one way or another in every comment regarding Shoma. Everyone get that he's not at Yuzu's level, so why the comparison? :confused2:
Go check my history and you will see that I don't even comment about them much. The end.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Let's not get into bickering, please?
I'm sorry Shoma didn't have the best outing here, but it's been like that all season hasn't it? I think the SP is what is getting him off to a shaky start. My money is on him to be brilliant in the FS as he has been all season.

Highlight of the night, of course, MURA! Yeeessss. So good. And his ankles held up for him so far. I hope he can do his FS to his satisfaction no matter where he ends up on the podium.
-I already mentioned Hiroaki didn't I? for those of you who only watch the top guys from Japan, please take a moment to watch a guy go out there and be crazy and land his jumps and have fun. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StCIXWM-H1M
-Keiji was a little tentative and had a few stumbles but STILL, for a guy who used to pop all his jumps when the pressure was on, he stood up on everything and didn't back down. Proud of him.
-I still can't see much art in Ryuju's skating, but his smile of happiness at the end of his perfect program was great to see.

The scores...well. It's the expected Nationals scoring. It's been like this for years and every year we complain about it. Here we go again.

Shoma, of course, got the huge benefit of being Japan's No.1 skater in absence of Yuzu so his PCS was always going to be 40+ no matter what he did.
Mura, was actually scored about right for me, but seems underscored compared to Shoma
Keiji, about right, it seems.
I would have switched Ryuju and Hiroaki JUST BECAUSE I liked Hiroaki's engagement with the music, skating and performance sooooo much.

All-in-all, very entertaining, though I miss Yuzu being in the mix. :sad21:

Last edited:

yelyoh

Medalist
Country
United-States
The results page shows nothing. Does someone have a link to a page in English where one can see the tech and PCS.

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker
Damn. Yuzuru Hanyu is a little fool, isn't he? I'm so glad he decided to prioritize his health over this nonsense this time around.

My condolences to anyone who isn't Shoma Uno.

DiamondDust

Final Flight
Agree with this. The truth is, skaters always have their issue and people pointing out those issues and complaining that they do not deserve the scores for the poor technique and construction of their programs. These are all valid. None of the top men get no criticism for all the things they do.

I agree with this. Every skater get their share of criticism. Defending them is good but the debates, arguing and criticism won't end for as long as there are others who prefers other skaters skating, and the cycle goes on. Perhaps it is the fans that need to calm down a bit in taking criticisms of their favorite skaters. :slink:

On to Nationals, can't watch it live :( . It looks like Shoma didn't do well but let's see how he does at FS (I'm still thinking he's got this in the bag). However, I'm happy to know Ryuju and Keiji did well. I'm looking forward to seeing Mura skate (I'm still hoping for him to win though :laugh: ). Will watch it later at YT. :hap10:

Geek On Ice

On the Ice
The results page shows nothing. Does someone have a link to a page in English where one can see the tech and PCS.

I have all the links to result page, panel of judges and judges scores (now I edited so that all go to English pages) on my data analysis thread, but as far as I remember, the Judges scores usually took so long to show up in the past. Maybe even after both SP and FS are over... I may be wrong. (SP results are up now though.)

http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?62044-2016-Japan-Nationals-Data-Analysis-Men

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker
If there is anything, I feel funny about Mr. Uno's field of crossovers and pre-rotation issue. How long judges are going to reward such technique I am unsure. I love that judges give a short program with 24 crossovers over 44 PCS so consistently. Have you counted how many crossovers the ladies do in their short programs? Even someone who is tiny like Miss Miyahara only does 12 crossovers.

He is currently Japan's #2. It is funny, and sad, and as far as I am concerned not good for Shoma's health, but he'll keep getting away with it, and being rewarded for it, until a new skater shows up who can be competitive on the international scene and who has fewer issues than Shoma. There are a couple of good juniors coming up, so we'll see how that goes.

Geek On Ice

On the Ice
Oops! I guess mikaboo already provided the link to the result page!
Anyway... can I just say....

:yes2: :hap93: :hap10: :yahoo: :hap57:

My man, :love: MURA :love: !!! It was FANTASTIC!
As soon as I saw his face at the beginning I knew he was so determined to do well!!
I'm so happy for him! I just hope he doesn't sprain his ankle again before FS like he did in SC and he'll do good on FS!
YOU CAN DO IT! GO TAKAHITO GO!!!!!

Okay, I'd like to comment more but right now, I just need to watch his SP a couple more times!! :luv17:

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Oops! I guess mikaboo already provided the link to the result page!
Anyway... can I just say....

:yes2: :hap93: :hap10: :yahoo: :hap57:

My man, :love: MURA :love: !!! It was FANTASTIC!
As soon as I saw his face at the beginning I knew he was so determined to do well!!
I'm so happy for him! I just hope he doesn't sprain his ankle again before FS like he did in SC and he'll do good on FS!
YOU CAN DO IT! GO TAKAHITO GO!!!!!

Okay, I'd like to comment more but right now, I just need to watch his SP a couple more times!! :luv17:

I thought of you when Mura finished his SP. 'Geek on Ice will be so happy!'

mcq

Record Breaker
I just caught up with the TJ men.

The result is surprising but not really. I didn't expect Shoma to deliver a clean SP but I also didn't expect him to bomb in a way that he would not lead the short. However, Shoma is more of a FS skater anyway. Some skaters (even the top ones) are just better at doing FS and not so good and consistent at doing SP (e.g : Patrick, Javi). It is just the way it is (perhaps a mental thing).

Still, with his tech content, as long as he did not bomb his FS, I am still confident he will win this. Mura and Keiji is a bit unreliable in the FS and they have less BV, while judging from earlier competition this season Shoma is pretty reliable in the free (usually just 1 or 2 mistake at best).

Aside of Mura ahead of Shoma, the rest is a bit predicted. Looking at the score and the result, the field is indeed not as deep as it was, say, in 2013, where realistically 6 men have equal chance of making the podium. But it is still entertaining, I have a few young ones I am keeping an eye on :biggrin:

Marin

"Efforts tell lies, but it will not be in vain."
Record Breaker
Justice for Mura #jesuisTakahito :devil:

gladiolusc

Medalist
Just caught up with the videos *v*

So excited for Mura :D :D :D He's been my favorite beside Yuzu... and his SP just now was beautiful :D
Hoping for the best in FS!

Geek On Ice

On the Ice
I thought of you when Mura finished his SP. 'Geek on Ice will be so happy!'

Awww. That is so sweet of you... :eek::
Yes, I did my own standing ovation for him in front of my pc!

I know with that relatively small lead, who knows what will happen in FS... but I'm already happy that he delivered that SP when he absolutely had to, which shows he's much stronger mentally now, so hopefully he can keep it together for FS too. ;)

Of course there were many other wonderful performances too!
I love watching Japan National because we get to see skaters that we don't get to see often, you know.
I liked Kohei YOSHINO's program... especially knowing that this may be his last JN, his beautiful skate moved me.
Apparently his FS will be dedicated to his coach, Takeshi Honda... :sad21: (Maybe Takeshi will cry at the commentator seat?!)