2016-17 Japanese Nationals Men SP | Page 7 | Golden Skate

2016-17 Japanese Nationals Men SP

tsuyoboogie

"Dedicate your heart" & Slay like an Ackerman
Record Breaker
Awww. That is so sweet of you... :eek::
Yes, I did my own standing ovation for him in front of my pc!

I know with that relatively small lead, who knows what will happen in FS... but I'm already happy that he delivered that SP when he absolutely had to, which shows he's much stronger mentally now, so hopefully he can keep it together for FS too. ;)

Of course there were many other wonderful performances too!
I love watching Japan National because we get to see skaters that we don't get to see often, you know.
I liked Kohei YOSHINO's program... especially knowing that this may be his last JN, his beautiful skate moved me.
Apparently his FS will be dedicated to his coach, Takeshi Honda... :sad21: (Maybe Takeshi will cry at the commentator seat?!)

Agree!:yes::agree:

Alchamei

Record Breaker
I had the nerves to look at the results now, and while they might be unexpected, I can't say I'm really suprised. Everyone hailed Shoma as new Nats champ after Yuzuru withdrew and I didn't like that all. Shoma is pretty consistent but his SP can be quite weak and the nerves sometimes get to him, too. And Takahito may be inconsistent as hell, but he can have great skate and it was today. And Tanaka seems to have a good season as well.

Anyway, one of them will be the subrising Nats champion and whoever that will, I bet he will be thriled! Now I only hope for clean FS so the best may win.

ioanna

Record Breaker
Hearing Daisuke Takahashi comment on the programs made me feel the absence of all the retired men of the famous last group from the 2013 Nationals. It was strange but that's probably because I've been spoiled by the past Nationals. Takahito Mura and Keiji Tanaka were by far the highlight for me. Unfortunately Shoma Uno made me want to copy paste Tatsuki Machida's Ladies in Lavender SP from 2014 Nationals here (predictable, I know). Hiroaki Sato is the Akio Sasaki the Japanese Nationals needs. I keep remembering his SP at the 2015 Jr Worlds. What a legend.

Elaine666

Final Flight
Finally dont have to get up early for the nat. Slim chance for Mura, but job well done:dance:Hang on the free program and get yourself a greater-than-ever X-mas gift:agree:

HanDomi

Record Breaker
This is propably the only one chance for Mura to get the national title. He needs to go all out tomorrow, possibly he will need to do those 3 quads

sallycinnamon

Medalist
This thread is so lonely. Seems like the Yuzuru fans really only like Yuzuru. TV coverage is focusing on Shoma it seems, I hope he can handle the pressure.

No, it's just a very busy last working day before Christmas. :) Give us a break :) As soon as I got home I switched on the TV, rooted for Kolyada and rewatched Shoma's and Mura's performances!

Elaine666

Final Flight
This thread is so lonely. Seems like the Yuzuru fans really only like Yuzuru. TV coverage is focusing on Shoma it seems, I hope he can handle the pressure.

Opps, didn't realize that was the expectation for Hanyu fans:confused2:Should have known it better that I could have gotten up earlier to root for Mura and Honda. I thought there was no real live stream like usual.

Khoai

Match Penalty
This is propably the only one chance for Mura to get the national title. He needs to go all out tomorrow, possibly he will need to do those 3 quads
I don't see that happening. Mr. Mura is not the favorite. He can hardly skate clean and still loses. I can only see him at his best having the silver.

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
I'm so happy for Takahito! :cheer: The differences are small though, everything will be decided by FP, but I'm glad he is taking his chances :)

Last edited:

deedee1

Record Breaker
The biggest shocker of the night for me is Fuji TV did air 18 Men SPs LIIIiiiiVE :shocked::hb:, which I had been dreaming of, complaining to my husband and demanding to Fuji, Asahi and J-Sports for the last, um, 100 years! :yahoo:

Takahito's step sq was gorgeous! :love: Well deserved first place.
Job well done, Keiji! :clap: He seems to learn how to control his nerve finally. Such a breakthrough season indeed for him.
Sad for Shoma. He went for the new jump layout 4F-3T and 4T, and had to pay for it. Hope he comes back strong in the free. :yes:

Koshiro, Sei Miyake, Taichi's 'Cotton Eye Joe', Kamata's funny 'Lupin the Ⅲ', Sei Kawahara's emotional tango, Jun Suzuki's 'Dementia' (Yuka Sato's choreo! :luv17:), Sato's 'Totem' full of originality!:cool:, Yoshino, Shu's 'Feeling good'. Overall, I pretty much enjoyed Men SPs. Except the top 3 here, jump contents may not be high enough to compete well on int'l competitions. However, who would have imagined, say, 10 years back from now, that such many Japanese boys actually can skate fun programs, gorgeous steps, smooth skating, beautiful lines, emotions, etc? Kudos to all skaters and coaches! :thumbsup:

Such a shame Shu missed the final group in the free less than 1 point... Personally I wouldn't mind if Takahito goes clean again tomorrow and win the whole thing.

Anyway, good luck again to all boys and let the best one win. It's not over till it's over! :clapper:

eta

Medalist

Thread is lonely because of Yuzu fans? :palmf:

Well, I apologize for not watching live due to wanting to get more than 45 minutes of sleep before work. :rolleye:

Just looked at the results for SP and I'm kind of surprised (YAY MURA!), will catch up with videos and posts later, thank you everyone for your pbp/comments/etc., hope all the men have good FS and no injuries~

JustRozy

On the Ice
Country
United-States

Hi, I'm first of all a Hanyu Yuzuru fan since early 2013 and for more than two years I've loved Shoma's skating as well. I feel so thankful to watch them both! I went to SA for Shoma this year, and SC for Yuzu. I set my alarm this morning at 4:35am EST to see Fuji livestream of Shoma's SP. Trying to find the skating order for tomorrow's Men's FP! The general time I've found is JST 17:55--19:45? But not sure this is current & correct. And I have no information about the skating order!!! Can anyone help me? I work in a bookstore & they are willing for me to come in to work tomorrow morning after Shoma skates his FP (!!!) but I want to give them a more exact time. Grateful for information here!

Last edited:

Fayruza

Match Penalty
Thread is lonely because of Yuzu fans? :palmf:

Well, I apologize for not watching live due to wanting to get more than 45 minutes of sleep before work. :rolleye:

Just looked at the results for SP and I'm kind of surprised (YAY MURA!), will catch up with videos and posts later, thank you everyone for your pbp/comments/etc., hope all the men have good FS and no injuries~

Absolutely, Yuzu fans had to follow the competition without him. Even when it's not possible given geo-blocking etc.
Hey, Yuzu fans also deserve some quiet and peaceful Christmas once in a while, eh?

Khoai

Match Penalty
Some people are funny. They have to accept this fact, in figure skating, ladies will always get more attention than men (unless of course, if you're Mr. Hanyu). You ask me do I want to watch many beautiful Russian ladies in a difficult competition or a boring men event with only ONE contender?
Russian ladies win all the time.

carotide

Rinkside

Wait a sec they are actually holding the event? I thought after Hanyu's withdrawal they'd just give Shoma the trophy and send the guys home for the holidays.. :scratch2:

tsuyoboogie

Record Breaker
Some people are funny. They have to accept this fact, in figure skating, ladies will always get more attention than men (unless of course, if you're Mr. Hanyu). You ask me do I want to watch many beautiful Russian ladies in a difficult competition or a boring men event with only ONE contender?
Russian ladies win all the time.

Well, I choose the men's event where you finally get a chance to see skaters you usually only hear and read about. Sure, maybe the tech isn't all that but these guys are still capable of delivering very entertaining and passionate performances. Plus you never know when you might see an unexpected, breakthrough performance.
I can watch the beautiful and talented Russian ladies anytime. To each their own. :)

Khoai

Match Penalty
Well, I choose the men's event where you finally get a chance to see skaters you usually only hear and read about. Sure, maybe the tech isn't all that but these guys are still capable of delivering very entertaining and passionate performances. Plus you never know when you might see an unexpected, breakthrough performance.
I can watch the beautiful and talented Russian ladies anytime. To each their own. :)
Judging from the views of Russian ladies thread, it's obvious how the majority see it. I have enough time watching so so skaters at my rink daily already.

Lys

Match Penalty
Wait a sec they are actually holding the event? I thought after Hanyu's withdrawal they'd just give Shoma the trophy and send the guys home for the holidays.. :scratch2:

You are correct. At least that is what judges tried to implement.

tsuyoboogie

Record Breaker
Judging from the views of Russian ladies thread, it's obvious how the majority see it. I have enough time watching so so skaters at my rink daily already.

I like what I like and have no problem being in the minority. The fact that I don't have the privilege to watch even mediocre skaters in person on a daily basis makes me appreciate the efforts of all these amazing athletes even more.