2016 Canadian Nationals Senior Women FS | Page 10 | Golden Skate

2016 Canadian Nationals Senior Women FS

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
IMO, it is quite clear who is not ready go to Boston. As much as I agree that Kaetlyn's skating is far superior, she is definitely not in competitive shape at the moment. There is no chance that she would score anywhere close to Gabby or Alaine had she skated like that in front of international judges.

is .12 clear cut?

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I think the overall environment at Orser's rink is a big part, the motivation seeing your competitor every day is another, and both clearly love skating and have talent. I would guess the overall combination of all of these things and more has brought about this result.

I agree so send Kaetlyn and Patrick there:) I agree Alaine and Gabby have their strengths but Kaetlyn is a natural in respect to quality and jumps reminiscent of Joannie or Josie when on. It needs to be nutured. ditto for Patrick. why can't Canada send their best to the best in Canada. I know I know Orser has so many pupils. Lets hope Walia is not another Joanne McLeod - for whatever reason her skaters underachieve badly. I wonder who coached Walia when he was a competitive skater - time to google:); it would be funny or ironic if it was McLeod.

nadster

Final Flight
I agree so send Kaetlyn and Patrick there:) I agree Alaine and Gabby have their strengths but Kaetlyn is a natural in respect to quality and jumps reminiscent of Joannie or Josie when on. It needs to be nutured. ditto for Patrick. why can't Canada send their best to the best in Canada. I know I know Orser has so many pupils. Lets hope Walia is not another Joanne McLeod - for whatever reason her skaters underachieve badly. I wonder who coached Walia when he was a competitive skater - time to google:); it would be funny or ironic if it was McLeod.

I don't think Ravi was coached by Mcleod because at that time Mcleod would still have been teaching in and around the Toronto area ( mainly in Richmond Hill ).

Ravi is originally from BC.

Anyway , don't blame the coach when injuries have been the main problem

Osmond definitely has the mental stuff and the technique to do well. She just needs a prolonged period without injuries.

Regarding Mcleod, it will be interesting how Walia does with Eric Liu ( promising 14 year old junior ) who has just moved there from Mcleod.

Sabrina

Record Breaker
For the small difference between Gabby and Kaetlyn you should ask judges who gave points for her beautiful eyes. I think the difference today was bigger than the .12 points. The GOE must have been in the lower 60s and they would have been great. But over 70 for a flawed program...that's too much inflation. I don't think anybody has a doubt about who goes to Boston. Kaetlyn had great results in Canada, and I don't remember anything else. In Sochi, Kaetlyn ended last in the team competition, though she did no mistake. I love her, but I think she needs big 3Lz3T and other similar jump combinations, to be competitive in worlds.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
It is so tough because I would love to go with Gabby or Alaine - neither convincingly won but show great talent. For some reason I don't feel they have the it quality - almost like POlina Edmunds on the interational scene but these ladies aren't even super strong or guaranteed top ten. Osmond has problems and yes time being free of injury. If we wait another worlds will the judges forget her - they recognize she has the skating quality which arguably cannot be learned. evan was a great skater and oly gold but I don't think he could ever truly achieve the pcs or quality of Lambiel or buttle he just didn't have it. Osmond as odd as it may seem has it - the glide, the stroking, the edge. Alaine and Daleman don't. But regardless of what we say and I think we shoud not be looking at just Osmond versus Daleman but Chartrand - all three are so close - no one has had super international skates this y ear and as rough as a time Osmond has had she still has that gold at that one b event. I say let them skate at 4ccs and then decide but who am I to say :)

peg

Medalist
I think that they should have a skate-off between Gabby and Kaetlyn at 4CC. From what I've read/heard, Kaetlyn's big problem now is that she needs more experience doing competitions to get back that competitive mindset. Physically, she's doing well and apparently skating better than she ever has in practice. I also find tat the quality of her skating, her lines/extension are vastly improved over previous years and way ahead of the other two. And really, none of the Canadian girls has been all that consistent on the GP circuit this year, but for me, I think Kaetlyn has been steadily improving through the season. If she can improve some more by 4CC and beat Gabby, then I think she deserves to go.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker

Thank you ericka.

I didn't know much about Alaine until she joined and GP circuit and really impressed me with her light and beautiful skating. But this is so different from my image of her. In this FS, she is guns a blazing, with so much speed and power. There has not been such an exhilarating performance in Ladies/Women event in Canadian Nationals for a long time. Well, at least since Gabby just before her. :) Well deserved win, Alaine.

Her win is reminiscent of Javi's Worlds 2015, coming in 2nd in both programs and incredulous to the overjoyed new champs. Canada is getting depth in Women finally and it happened so fast. With depth often comes the dilemma of choosing the Worlds skaters. I understand the hard choice between Gabby and Kaetlyn. There are precedences of skate off in 4CC, usually resulting in under-performances from both skaters because of the pressure. Maybe this time, if there is a skate off, it would be a good test of mental strength of these new tough Canadian Women.

I can see the advantages of Kaetlyn being left at home to rest up some more and of her getting more competition practice and experience to get her closer to her Worlds contending potential.

Another consideration is which two would be more likely to win three 2017 spots for Canada.

I'm glad I'm not responsible for these decisions. I congratulate all three and wish them all the best.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I doubt Canada has a chance for 3 spots at worlds with the crop of Russians and Japanese women out there.... add the Americans to this and making top ten will be awesome... STILL I BELIEVE..

I agree that Kaetlyn should be resting after 4cc... Maybe they could send her to WTC .... (the team event)

The three are all very good and another day may have brought other results but Alaine has been pushing all year to get there, and finally she has done it! YAY!
Thank you ericka.

I didn't know much about Alaine until she joined and GP circuit and really impressed me with her light and beautiful skating. But this is so different from my image of her. In this FS, she is guns a blazing, with so much speed and power. There has not been such an exhilarating performance in Ladies/Women event in Canadian Nationals for a long time. Well, at least since Gabby just before her. :) Well deserved win, Alaine.

Her win is reminiscent of Javi's Worlds 2015, coming in 2nd in both programs and incredulous to the overjoyed new champs. Canada is getting depth in Women finally and it happened so fast. With depth often comes the dilemma of choosing the Worlds skaters. I understand the hard choice between Gabby and Kaetlyn. There are precedences of skate off in 4CC, usually resulting in under-performances from both skaters because of the pressure. Maybe this time, if there is a skate off, it would be a good test of mental strength of these new tough Canadian Women.

I can see the advantages of Kaetlyn being left at home to rest up some more and of her getting more competition practice and experience to get her closer to her Worlds contending potential.

Another consideration is which two would be more likely to win three 2017 spots for Canada.

I'm glad I'm not responsible for these decisions. I congratulate all three and wish them all the best.

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
It is a really super crazy busy weekend! :laugh: Back and forth to Canadian and US Nationals.

Congratulations to the top finishers.

artsciboy

On the Ice
I think that they should have a skate-off between Gabby and Kaetlyn at 4CC. From what I've read/heard, Kaetlyn's big problem now is that she needs more experience doing competitions to get back that competitive mindset. Physically, she's doing well and apparently skating better than she ever has in practice. I also find tat the quality of her skating, her lines/extension are vastly improved over previous years and way ahead of the other two. And really, none of the Canadian girls has been all that consistent on the GP circuit this year, but for me, I think Kaetlyn has been steadily improving through the season. If she can improve some more by 4CC and beat Gabby, then I think she deserves to go.

Honestly, Kaetlyn has always been in search of the right competitive mindset. It wasn't just this season that she's been hit and miss. She's always been this way, even when she first debuted and we were hyping her as the next big thing. It's rare for her to land more than 4 triples in a FS and I think the judges need to stop holding her up on the basis of her promise and just wait until she finally delivers.

peg

Medalist
Kaetlyn doesn't need more rest at this point. She is fine physically.

What she needs is more competition experience to regain her competitive mindset and confidence level.

Anyway, whether they send her to Worlds or not, I hope she goes to 4CC and skates well there.

withwings

On the Ice
It certainly IS Orser's touch. It is. Thank you, Orser.

Somehow I believe, that it might be utmost necessary for Veronic Mallet to find new coaches. It does not mean, that I say her coaches are not good, not at all. I believe Mallet needs a new environment, she HAS TO develop HER unique potential ( if it is already too late).
Kaetlyn...Kaetlyn is very gifted and, I hope, everything will be alright with her either with her current coach or with someone else. Though, I have to admit that I wished her to go to Orser from the very beginning of her skating career...sorry

I think that whatever Orser touch was, Alaine improved her jumps a lot. She still had a couple of small issues today, but not those two feet landings that plagued her skating. Gabby also seemed to benefit as she used to overcook some jumps. So, is Orser behind this or just the athletes?

peg

Medalist
Honestly, Kaetlyn has always been in search of the right competitive mindset. It wasn't just this season that she's been hit and miss. She's always been this way, even when she first debuted and we were hyping her as the next big thing. It's rare for her to land more than 4 triples in a FS and I think the judges need to stop holding her up on the basis of her promise and just wait until she finally delivers.

Her first year she usually skated a clean short and made one major error in her FS. But even with errors, she never let go of the performance.

Then she got hit with injuries, which affected her performance. Last year, she was off for the entire season and for a long time couldn't practice jumps because her leg needed time to heal. She was in good shape physically at the start of this season, but at SC had trouble controlling her excitement which led to that freak fall on her spin entry and a minor injury. That has also healed, but she now doubts herself more than she used to. Even in her SP, she was far more tentative than she used to be. She used to just go for everything, and if she fell, she'd pop right back like nothing had happened. She needs to get back to that mindset. Sure, she may not be perfect every time out, but how often has either Gabby or Alaine been perfect? How many URs have they gotten? I would say that in her first international season, Kaetlyn was more consistent than either Alaine or Gabby have been.

Kissx3

Final Flight
Personally, I don't really worry about any of them more or less than the others at this point in time consistency-wise and I don't think it's an important enough year to cause any drama. Canada should just be happy to have three world class women, an embarrassment of riches given how the ladies program has played out historically. Daleman isn't disposable a la Lacoste. She still has the potential to do great things, as shown right here in this competition. There's no reason to publicly bury her for a shaky Osmond.

jersey1302

On the Ice
Country
Canada
What a fantastic ladies FS this year for the Canadian women. Its been a long time since we have had ladies that can do these elements. I was watching earlier and was thinking to my self "wow am I really watching Canadian nationals?" seeing scores of over 200 points?! Very entertaining.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Kaetlyn does not need more time to rest imho. she missed a whole season. If she needs a rest then all those uber Jason Brown fans should definitely put an end to him petitioning to go to worlds and we should see such posts. bravo to all three ladies I am glad skate Canada has not made a decision. by the way what is fair and what is best to regain 2 or 3 spots is possibly two different things. And am I wrong but everyone says Gabby and Osmond should battle it out but all three girls are pretty close (I can't believe no one else notes that Gabby won the free and it wasn't like any of he scores were that far ahead overall or behind). I know we all have our faves but really this is one big mess - great for Canada because it looks like here is hope but I fear that Michelle Leigh's notion that they can compete with the Americans, Japanese or Russians is a bit premature - there is potential but I don't think until the girls start getting consistent they are much threats and sadly from the scoring really only Osmond has shown stronger potential of scoring well - yes some hope with Chartrand but the thing is pc wise Osmond may not be as strong technically yet but she has a lot more it factor and skating quality. the jumps are getting back but it is not like daleman and or Chartrand are that consistent or have amazing jumps. REmember another Canadian Jennifer Robinson had sometimes 6 or 7 triples but the quality was never there.

randomfan

Record Breaker
Despite being a Canadian myself, I (ironically) never had Canadian Nationals as a priority. The times this year did not work well for me either, so I didn't watch it live. I decided to tag into it right now, and I have to say, I'm so happy to have watched the top 4. Once big thing is that the top 4's SP and FS programs are all spectacular in their own ways!

1. Alaine Chartrand: Her SP has been one of my favourites this season since COR. Like COR, it was again absolutely stunning to watch! Considering the PCS of Kaetlyn and since it was nationals, I thought Alaine's PCS were VERY low in comparison. It was good for her that they did not have much of a difference though. The FS...that was just simply beautiful. I have never cried watching a sport, but I was near tears watching Alaine skate. This program is actually very well-choreographed and the music edit is something to die for, but people just don't realize it because the 3A in the GP series interrupted everything. I think it was a good idea to ditch the 3A, and seeing as how she did here, maybe they should save the 3A for later. If Alaine skates like this at Boston, this deserves at least 128+. Really! I'm not exaggerating!
2. Gabrielle Daleman: Gabby's SP was very nice to see. The 3T-3T was one of the best 3-3s I've seen this season. It was too bad that she wasn't clean, but it still left a strong impression. The FS was much better than her already great skate at SC. Her reaction when she saw her scores was so heartwarming. I'm so excited to see her at 4CC and Worlds! And I loved her mom's reaction at the end. :laugh2:
3. Kaetlyn Osmond: She had mistakes in both programs, but that enjoyable factor in her overall skating is always there. The combo in the SP was wonky, but everything else was very well done. The FS had more flaws, but being the good fighter and great performer she is, Kaetlyn did a great job not dropping the performance. I hope that she has a good showing at 4CC!
4. Veronik Mallet: As a lover of classical music, I loved the music choices she had for both programs. The SP was wonderful and kind of reminded me of Mao Asada's Nocturne. The flying sit spin was well-timed, and despite the error, the performance was nice. And the FS was gorgeous as well. Like Kaetlyn, the mistakes did not disrupt the flow of the program too much. She did very well here!

Did I mention that the programs are all spectacular? Seriously, I think that the Canadian women are well-packaged this year. :hap85:

Last edited:

Sugarpova

#EmpressAirlines #SinKatsapologist
Record Breaker
CTV Broadcast of the Ladies FS last group: https://youtu.be/6ED2b4aYcCg

Skating Order:
Roxanne Rheault
Larkyn Austman
Véronik Mallet
Gabrielle Daleman
Alaine Chartrand
Kaetlyn Osmond

The hugging and crying between Alaine and Gabby at backstage is just too cute! Congrat girls!

aw what a great day with this & Shibs winning!:yahoo:
Congrats bb Alaine! Her & Gabrielle's friendship is adorable!