2016 Finlandia Trophy Ladies FS | Page 26 | Golden Skate

2016 Finlandia Trophy Ladies FS

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I know that the judges disagreed with me, but it's nice of you to remind me of that ;). But when you watch Katelyn's FS you see without any doubt that she underrotated her 3T, nearly << imo. And I don't think that a clean skate is necessary. But in my opinion Katelyn didn't do a clean 3-3. So in that case I prefer Mao's clean skate. Normally I'm all for 3-3's, 3-1/3-3's. I like big jumps.

I appreciate your answer.

Really, though, Mao did make a case for skating clean even if it means only 4 triple jumps and 5 doubles. But then of course, she had to rely on Anna to make mistakes.

I loved Kaetlyn's skate and I think she deserved to win this event.

But I don't pretend to be an expert on underrotations. I think the penalties for them are way out of whack.

wanderlust

Rinkside
Mao was only behind overall by 1.11 points. Had she just added a 2T or 2Lo to her last jump, she would have won (and still with only 4 triples). The second 3F in her program, which she doubled, was intended to be part of a 3 jump combo, 3F+2Lo+2Lo (worth 9.79 points in the second half). She left a lot of points on the table there.

Last edited:

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Yup, all she has to do is to specify the design to the head tailor of prison.

:rofl: :rofl::rofl:

I don't know what prisons you've frequented lately, but I didn't realize they had tailors on staff for the jumpsuits. :laugh:

Oh dear. Isn't that so Ontario centric - centre of Canada lol. Forgetting about Quebec and Alberta. LOL

Oh come on now, I've never been to Alberta, and I never went to Quebec in the period of my life when knowing the legal drinking age was a necessity. Sue me. :p :p

Last edited:

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
Medvedeva and Miyahara for sure are better, and even Mirai, Ashley W, and Gracie at their best would likely place ahead of these ladies' performances at Finlandia.

If you looked at the scores from Boston last year, Kaetlyn's scores here (which some feel were held, particularly her pcs) would have placed her in the top 10 at Worlds, bumping Mirai out of 10th place and finishing just behind Gabby. This was Mirai and others in their prime of the 2016 season, with a home crowd advantage. There is no doubt that Kaetlyn should be considered a threat versus all competitors you've mentioned.

It should also be mentioned that she bested 2 former World Champions and the current World Bonze medalists in the process. No pressure, ...right :)

Last edited:

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm gonna go completely off topic here but I really wish someone would use a Tat avatar on GoldenSkate Forums :dance2:

MasterB

Final Flight
The problem with this competition is that no one skated clean.

1. Congrats to Kaetlyn, when she skates clean she can beat anyone in the world. The question is, When was the last time she nailed a clean program?

2. Mao - My Queen, I love that she hung around for another cycle. Her programs this year are heavenly. Yes, she needs to add more content to be competitive. Like many others she has a shot at the title should she skate clean.

3. Pogo - she finally has grown on me. I love both her programs this year and her costumes are less uglier. Her jumps are great when she is on. I feel she is more consistent that Mao and Kaetlyn and should do better in her next events.

4. Hicks - things are not looking well right now but, I hope she will skate better soon.

5. Tut - I feel for her so much. She is not the most gifted skater when it comes to style. In her last competition I sensed her weakness more than ever before and here it showed greatly. I have no idea what is up with her physically. The Russian ladies are too competitive for her to be mediocre. She has a tougher battle than anyone else I know.

Last edited:

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
I appreciate your answer.

Really, though, Mao did make a case for skating clean even if it means only 4 triple jumps and 5 doubles. But then of course, she had to rely on Anna to make mistakes.

I loved Kaetlyn's skate and I think she deserved to win this event.

But I don't pretend to be an expert on underrotations. I think the penalties for them are way out of whack.
:) I wouldn't want to be on the tech panel (not that it's even an option), but the tech panels sometimes miss things, not that I want to blame them. They can't review every jump after all. I only want to add that Kaetlyn is a very very good skater, definitely one of the most talented. She's my favourite Canadian female single skater, I think she has a bright future and I have her on my list for 2018. I just don't care much for her FS this season and she has to work on her combos, but she's on the right track and I hope to see her at Worlds this season.

cinnamon

On the Ice
Mao's skating was just exquisite, and soo polished compared to the rest

I totally agree with you.

I am happy for Kaetlyn after having such hard two years. (Btw she has very different looking with and without makeup.)

And was interesting that top five girls wore black in SP, and all three on the podium wore red this time.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Ah, I don't know. Not very exciting at all. I like Courtney Hicks' sp, but she completely fell off in confidence with her fp. I thought Hicks deserved better scores in the sp, but her fp music is not doing her any favors.

Mao seems to be slowing down technically a bit, and getting little love from the judges in the process, although she is as expressive and lovely as ever. Liza had a decent showing in her debut comeback this season, but she's not offering anything fresh or exciting artistically. Pogorilaya's opportunity was lost in the fp with too many mistakes strewn throughout. I suppose Kaetlyn Osmond was the lucky lady with perhaps the least mistakes? But still it was not the strongest of performances for Osmond, although better than what she was showing last season.

Medvedeva and Miyahara for sure are better, and even Mirai, Ashley W, and Gracie at their best would likely place ahead of these ladies' performances at Finlandia.

Agreed but getting Wagner and Gold and Nagasu OR Polina to skate cleanly is like asking Mrrice to divorce Maria B lol, it ain't happening or is very hard to come by. It was underwhelming but so has been all the challenger events and Japan Open save perhaps Satoko even then her jumps are still smallish. Some years it is the best of the good or mediocre and it is still very early in the season.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Mao was only behind overall by 1.11 points. Had she just added a 2T or 2Lo to her last jump, she would have won (and still with only 4 triples). The second 3F in her program, which she doubled, was intended to be part of a 3 jump combo, 3F+2Lo+2Lo (worth 9.79 points in the second half). She left a lot of points on the table there.

Only, but, if, it never happened. Mao is still a threat because she is an icon/legend and has great skating skills. However, if she doesn't start laying some good, fully rotated programs out there I am not sure how long the judges will hold her up or give her the generous marks. I love her dresses. Just remember Kaetlyn had all sorts of trouble too so she has room to gain points and to those who think Kaetlyn can't compete with Chartrand or DAleman it is apparent she is working on the 3F 3T and we know she had been working on it in the past and she can do a 3T 3T the key is her pcs especially performance or star power is better than those two. She isn't ready really to challenge Medveda, Wagner, Gold, Radinova, on a good day yet until she gets the 3 3 and a bit more recognition for her strong programs and skating skills.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
:rofl: :rofl::rofl:

I don't know what prisons you've frequented lately, but I didn't realize they had tailors for the jumpsuits. :laugh:

Oh come on now, I've never been to Alberta, and I never went to Quebec in the period of my life when knowing the legal drinking age was a necessity. Sue me. :p :p

There is a seen on youtube of Erica Kane from one of the soaps sewing up a little designer jumpsuit in jail. Besides you might start a trend - a trend that many competitive skaters might follow if they get arrested for their skating fashion crimes.lol

mary01

Final Flight
Only, but, if, it never happened. Mao is still a threat because she is an icon/legend and has great skating skills. However, if she doesn't start laying some good, fully rotated programs out there I am not sure how long the judges will hold her up or give her the generous marks. I love her dresses. Just remember Kaetlyn had all sorts of trouble too so she has room to gain points and to those who think Kaetlyn can't compete with Chartrand or DAleman it is apparent she is working on the 3F 3T and we know she had been working on it in the past and she can do a 3T 3T the key is her pcs especially performance or star power is better than those two. She isn't ready really to challenge Medveda, Wagner, Gold, Radinova, on a good day yet until she gets the 3 3 and a bit more recognition for her strong programs and skating skills.

Mao is a thread because she has it all, you just never know when she will go full power like she did at the olympics fs, and she usually does it when people least expect her too. Besides this was a fully rotated program, she may not have brought the big tricks in the game yet, but that seems like an intentional choice, since there was no reports of her even practicing the 3A or 3-3 in the warmup. she left some points here and there, but who cares it's the first competition of the season and an insignificant competition for her.

richster106

Spectator
She practiced the 3-3, doing okay with a 2 ft landing on the loop. SHE ALSO successfully landed a 2 axel-3 toe in practice, as well. I think she was conservative in this 1st comp to get the feel of the competitive ice for Skate America. I don't think she wants to peak too early this season, like last year at JO

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
And was interesting that top five girls wore black in SP, and all three on the podium wore red this time.

Hmmm...don't know what you were watching, but Kaetlyn wore blue in the sp, as in the French flag...

Last edited:

Sweet Dream

Final Flight
Give some love to Anna "dark eyes" Tsareva
https://www.instagram.com/p/BEHH3gmjCGG/?taken-by=annapogorilaya

sometimes she cracks a smile, when it matters
http://youtvsport.com/media/photo_20141102121128_800.jpg

What I really meant here is that psychologically Anna's coach seems to be from a different world. You know, Anna is only 18 years old, but she has always been so so hard on herself in competitions. Technique is very important at the icerink, but any decent use of wisdom also plays a key role in your final results. To win the competitions or make the national team pushing yourself too hard can only be counter-productive most of the time, and besides, a sad and discontented look always on the face of a teenage girl in the K & C area just bores me to death! :laugh:

MIM

Medalist
I cannot get bored with watching Mao's performance here. Simply exquisite!