2016 Finlandia Trophy Mens FS | Page 17 | Golden Skate

2016 Finlandia Trophy Mens FS

Meoima

Match Penalty
After this competition, I feel like last season I did not appreciate Boyang enough. :roll9: Ok at least his jumps when he landed them well have ok quality.

Last edited:

Biellmann

Match Penalty
After this competition, I feel like last season I did not appreciate Boyang enough. :roll9: Ok at least his jumps when he land them have good quality.

Well, they were shaky most of the time :laugh:
But he didn't care, he just did it no matter what, that was the best part :coffee:

da96103

Record Breaker
15 Nathan CHEN (USA)

Music: Polovtsian Dances (from "Prince Igor") by Alexander Borodin

Black outfit

4Lz+3T - turn inbetween
4F - turnout
3A - hand/foot down
4T - fall, maybe <
CCoSp
4T+2T+2Lo
4S - fall
3F+3T
3Lz
CCSp
StSq
FCCoSp

5 quad attempts, but only 1 succesful. Very ambitious, but maybe too much for him?

FS: 96.08+74.86-2.00 = 168.94 (PB), 256.44 (PB), 1/15

What was the element that should not have been jumped? Is it the 4S-fall in the middle of the programme?

da96103

Record Breaker
After this competition, I feel like last season I did not appreciate Boyang enough. :roll9: Ok at least his jumps when he landed them well have ok quality.

Too late Meioma. Boyang will never forgive you.

da96103

Record Breaker
Yes, what's done is done. I am looking forward to see Marina help him balance out the lp just like the sp.

I think Marina wants to return the hot jumping fava bean back to Rafa.

Last edited:

Dots

Final Flight
LOL Did I just read Nathan attempted a 5 quad program? :eeking: that kid is insane !!!

Ps:

Oh please, Chen is far better than Boyang at this time last year. Wait and see kids. Nathan has a lot of potential to be world and Olympic medalist.

da96103

Record Breaker
I was right! He rotated every single jump. That is pretty incredible, because most people would underrotate when they fall.

Well, good work, Nathan! You've successfully made it into the big leagues, which means now you will be the center of controversy and debates! Enjoy the ride.

Will be? What do you mean will be? He is already in the centre of controversy and debates and the first GP event has not even started. Oh boy. This is gonna be a long long season. :shocked:

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
And when was that, when Evan Lysacek won his OGM with absolutely 0 risk?

(Although maybe it's a useless example, because he didn't really have quality either...)

My perception is that it's been happening all along, most especially since Patrick Chan reinvented men's figure skating 2011-12. Not that I'm criticizing Patrick, he did it beautifully in my opinion, and if he hadn't done it beautifully someone else may have done it not so beautifully. But it established the movement. My post was in reaction to someone who seemed to say this is something new. The scoring system encourages it.

Last edited:

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
LOL Did I just read Nathan attempted a 5 quad program? :eeking: that kid is insane !!!

Ps:

Oh please, Chen is far better than Boyang at this time last year. Wait and see kids. Nathan has a lot of potential to be world and Olympic medalist.

Based on what? i like his SP as much as i liked Jin's tango, but Jin has better jumps and better spins, both lacks on the artistry (but again, we haven't see Jin yet this season, maybe he has improved)

Last edited:

Biellmann

Match Penalty

Ps:

How someone is compared to "At this time last season" is irrelevant. It means nothing and it doesn't give you the guarantee for a good/bad season.

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker
Surely I'm not expecting Nathan to pull of a perfect 5 quads FS at 17 years old and at the very first attempt, but I think Yuzu and Boyang are watching carefully and taking notes...

Taking notes at what exactly? That's an honest question. What is it that Yuzuru Hanyu could possibly take away from this? This is a man who now has a four quads program plus everything else in it. If anything I'd say it is Nathan who should have taken notes from Yuzuru Hanyu and how his programs progressed because Hanyu added quads slowly while he improved on everything else. Nathan would be far better served with a three clean quads and better overall program than this. His choice of course but at the same time, I am definitely not going to call this historic or anything particularly amazing. I'll go as far to call it dumb because Patrick almost beat his amazing five quad program, and probably should have anyway.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
Altogether, Team Russia is starting the season on a promising note, especially with Sergei winning Nepela, which will give him the boost he needs to show that he is not only still in the squad, but definitely a contender for the Olympic team. :hap10:

As i wrote in the State of the russian men's skating, none of these skaters has the potential to beat the big names (except maybe Kovtun, on paper), honestly i had higher expectations on Petrov but from what i've seen this is still not enough, Voronov is coming back yes but those programs needs more contents.

Also the assignments made by the federation were wrong imo: Voronov or Kovtun should go to the Rostelecom Cup instead of competing one against the other at Skate America.

Last edited:

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
An American judge giving Nathan 8.25 for Transitions shouldn't be allowed to judge.... :disapp:

That same judge gave Maxim a 7 and Mika a 6.75. Neither have a huge amount of transitions, but compared to Nathan here... :slink:

Remember Austrialian judge who gave hanyu 7.75 in SS and another Australian judge who gave Mao 6s ...... those people should not be allowed to judge.

Good grief, the ISU really needs to set up their own AA branch. This judges-drinking-on-the-job trend has got to stop.:palmf:

Dots

Final Flight
Based on what? i like his SP as much as i liked Jin's tango, but Jin has better jumps and better spins, both lacks on the artistry (but again, we haven't see Jin yet this season, maybe he has improved)

In what universe does Jin have better spins than Nathan? Nathan has better quality of edge too. This is the first time someone has said Nathan is not artistic.

Dots

Final Flight
How someone is compared to "At this time last season" is irrelevant. It means nothing and it doesn't give you the guarantee for a good/bad season.

Did you not read this thread? People are comparing him to Jin left and right.

Rissa

Record Breaker
Biggest surprise: Kovtun. I like his FS, he should stick to rock music. It suits him and his interpretational style/skill. With this sort of slow music the program seems less empty.

Biggest disappointment: Nathan Chen. What's up with the lack of costume? Both of his programs begged for a costume. In the FS the music completely overwhelmed him. One needs heck of power and engagement and, well, content, in order to pull of a cut as big as his and he completely fell short.

Meh: Patrick and Kolyada. In case of Kolyada I hope he will be able to interpret it better as the season progresses, but today I didn't feel engaged at all. Patrick, to me, was even worse. The music was OK if nothing spectacular, but I felt like he didn't interpret it at all. Maybe if he actually had a costume different from last year's Chopin I would feel he was making an effort, but today was a miss for me.

Does anyone know what's up with Daniel Samohin? Injury?

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
This is the first time someone has said Nathan is not artistic.

Did you actually watch Nathan skate today? People are not pulling these comments out their behinds.

Rissa

Record Breaker
Please Finlandia crowd, stop clapping when it's quiet music, that's unnecessary and disturbing

Yeah, that's bizarre.

Is it a custom in Finland to have those noise-making thingies? I remember sitting next to ... eh, Swedish? Finnish? fans during the synchro competition and they used those during the performance and I just wanted to punch them in the face because it completely ruined he mood. And Worlds as World's in Finland this year and I'm gonna be there, I'm getting scared already.

giulia95

Medalist
Taking notes at what exactly? That's an honest question. What is it that Yuzuru Hanyu could possibly take away from this? This is a man who now has a four quads program plus everything else in it. If anything I'd say it is Nathan who should have taken notes from Yuzuru Hanyu and how his programs progressed because Hanyu added quads slowly while he improved on everything else. Nathan would be far better served with a three clean quads and better overall program than this. His choice of course but at the same time, I am definitely not going to call this historic or anything particularly amazing. I'll go as far to call it dumb because Patrick almost beat his amazing five quad program, and probably should have anyway.

This is a deja-vu situation, tons of people complained at Jin's 4 quads FS in 2015 GPF then Jin medaled at Worlds.
But actually Yuzu has a 4 quads FS ,it's his choice, his canadian coach told the press he disagrees with Yuzu (as usual) .....