2016 JGP Ljubljana Cup Mens FS | Page 6 | Golden Skate

2016 JGP Ljubljana Cup Mens FS

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
None I know, Aliev has always been inconsistent.. Rucavicin's !!! :palmf: :gaah:

Though most of his pupils have excellent SS and presentation skills to get good PCS such as Makarova, Leonova, Aliev, Fedichkina.

tsuyoboogie

"Dedicate your heart" & Slay like an Ackerman
Record Breaker
So proud of Kazuki's determination to rotate and land all of his jumps standing. Happy to see him medal but super sad for Dmitri. I noticed a lot of the guys seemed to tire quickly in the FS. Not a fan of Alexei's skating but he fought hard for his placement, so props to him.

Congratulations to the medalists!

Last edited:

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
the TES was low but they could have pumped up his PCS if they wanted to
his PCS was even 4 points lower than Ilia Skirda

Well, I don't think they should be doing that for anyone when they don't skate like they deserve it. Even when it's a skater I like very much.

Ilia skated as well as he possibly could and sold the performance start to finish...nothing wrong with his PCS being much higher today.

Last edited:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Ljubljana is in a mountainous area, with an elevation above sea level of nearly 1000 feet.

Skaters who live and practice at sea level might have been affected slightly by the altitude, particularly towards the end of their long programs.

sneakers

Match Penalty
Well, I don't think they should be doing that for anyone when they don't skate like they deserve it. Even when it's a skater I like very much.

Ilia skated as well as he possibly could and sold the performance start to finish...nothing wrong with his PCS being much higher today.

of course it shouldnt but we know that doesn't always happen. we've had skaters getting PCS boost just to medal, at the end of the day it depends on the judges and how they score them in PCS.

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
Has Aliev ever bombed like this before? He was way off from the beginging today.

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
Junior Worlds was pretty dismal since he was first after the SP and went off the podium with a 7th place FS (Just like he did here, incidentally): http://www.isuresults.com/results/season1516/wjc2016/CAT001RS.HTM

I saw the JW and was really disappointed as he was a heavy favorite to win the title after Nathan and Sota were out of the competition due to injuires. However I didn't feel that that FS outing was as this much debacle at this event. :slink:

gmyers

Record Breaker
Aliev didn't bomb so badly when he won his first jrgp event sp and event. the pressure was on to make the jrgp and it maybe that was the problem. He needs major psychological help. Or maybe it's to early to start sending him to the sports psychologists. Could be physical.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
He bombed at JW 2016. He was in first place after the SP, then was 7th in the FS. He wound up 6th.

His Worlds FS: 2t, 3a, 3z, 3f, 2a, 3z+3t, 2a+1lo<+2s, 3lo

Here are his FSs from each of his events last year:

JGP LAT: 4t+2t, 3a+1lo+3s, 3a, 3z+3t, 3f, 3z, 3lo↓, 2a he won FS+event
JGP AUT: 4t+2t, 3a+1lo+3s, 3a, 3z+3t, 3f, 2z, 3lo, 2a he won FS+event

JGPF: 4t-so, 4t+2t, 3a+1lo+2s, 3f, 1a, 3z+3t, 1lo, 1a he was 2nd to Nathan Chen

He didn't have much competition in his two 2015 JGP wins.
In Latvia, he had a rough SP with a fall on the 3a and no combo. But he beat his nearest competitor Deniss Vasijevs by 14 points to win the FS and the competition. BTW, Alex Krasnozhon was 3rd at that comp, but he was nothing like the skater he is today---his jumps were wild and uncontrolled, with bad landings.

In Austria, his toughest competitors were Ivan Pavlov and Vincent Zhou (who had just returned from injury and didn't have a 3A yet). He easily won the SP, FS and event.

But in the JGPF and again at Worlds, he was facing much tougher competition and the pressure got to him. If he had a major mistake early in the FS, he lost focus and the rest of the program unraveled. That's what happened today.

This year, he skated great at the event in the Czech republic, where he was challenged by both Krasnozhon and Roman Savosin, who'd won his first event. He'd beaten Krasnozhon easily last year, but the 2016 Alex was a tough competitor who didn't make many mistakes. Dmitri had to skate his best to win, and he did. But then in Slovenia, here was Alex yet again, Dmitri had to skate right before him in the FS, and a ticket to the JGPF was at stake. His first jump went south, and so did the rest of the program.

Last edited:

gmyers

Record Breaker
Then I think it's clear its time for sports psychologist. If you can't handle jrgpf stress after failing Jr. Worlds you need help because senior gp events nationals euros worlds Olympics are not any easier.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I still can't believe what happened. Like I remember when they announced Alexei won, I started freaking out and my hands were slightly shaking!.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Alexei's reaction after the final placement is priceless. :laugh:

Congratulations to the first gold medal in the JGP series.

I agree and I'm glad he has a video to remember his reaction as he gets older. Should he win the JGPF, his career will change very quickly. I remember watching Ricki win the JGPF with his "Inspector Gadget" LP. He then went on to win silver at Nationals and skated very well at Worlds. All in the same year, 2011.