2016 Rio: Rhythmic Gymnastics | Page 15 | Golden Skate

2016 Rio: Rhythmic Gymnastics

hugo

On the Ice
wow ! it was marvelous competition.
I was very anxious yesterday for Yana and Rita. But today they accomplished their task. And this is not so important who of them won. They secured each other from the mistakes.
What is important: today (I hope) won't be doubts who is the best: Russian girls or Rizatdinova (as yesterday, many claimed Rizatdinova should be first...)

Meoima

Match Penalty
Yana and Rita have highest difficulty when they're clean. And Rita is the WR holder. So it has always been their race from the beginning. The other girls with lesser difficulties have no chances.

ILoveFigures

On the Ice
The Russians have higher difficulty (higher BV). For example Mamun and Yana often have around 9.5 to 9.7 difficulty score. The other girls' difficulties are around 8.7 to 9.2 at max
Mamun wins! Yay!!

That is not exactly how it works. I'll try to explain.

The execution mark starts at 10 and is all about deductions, where the judges look for technical faults and artistic faults. There are small deductions at 0,10 which for the untrained eye may be hard to notice. Those are errors like grabbing the ball, ribbon end involuntarily on the floor, incomplete rolls of the apparatus, body shapes not fixed, etc. Then there are deductions at 0,30 like loss of the apparatus without moving, lack of balance between left/right handwork, etc. Then there are deductions at 0,50 like loss of apparatus with 1-2 steps for retrieval, and the biggest deduction at 0,7 for falls, loss of apparatus outside the floor area, etc. All deductions are then added together and withdrawn from 10.

The difficulty mark starts at 0 and depends on the sheets the gymnast has declared for each apparatus. In the sheet they write down everything they are supposed to do, including leaps, balances, pivots, risks, masteries and apparatus handling. Then the judges add together the valid difficulties performed on the sheet. Basically this means that if a gymnast only does 2 rotations in attitude pivot, and she has written 3, she will only be credited for 2. However if she does 4 rotations, and has only asked for the value of 3, she will only get credit for the first 3 rotations.

The fun thing about each gymnast in this final is that they all ask for 10 in difficulty. However, if for example during a risk, the gymnast does not catch the apparatus, the entire risk will get 0 points. What makes Margarita and Yana so much better than the other gymnasts is that they perform with little execution errors and also gets credited with the difficulty they ask for because they perform them correctly. For example in clubs I noticed that Ganna skipped one of her masteries (a value of 0,3 if done correctly), which is basically giving 0,3 away right there.

I hope this explained it a bit. Just ask if you have any more questions. :)

gmyers

Record Breaker
That is not exactly how it works. I'll try to explain.

The execution mark starts at 10 and is all about deductions, where the judges look for technical faults and artistic faults. There are small deductions at 0,10 which for the untrained eye may be hard to notice. Those are errors like grabbing the ball, ribbon end involuntarily on the floor, incomplete rolls of the apparatus, body shapes not fixed, etc. Then there are deductions at 0,30 like loss of the apparatus without moving, lack of balance between left/right handwork, etc. Then there are deductions at 0,50 like loss of apparatus with 1-2 steps for retrieval, and the biggest deduction at 0,7 for falls, loss of apparatus outside the floor area, etc. All deductions are then added together and withdrawn from 10.

The difficulty mark starts at 0 and depends on the sheets the gymnast has declared for each apparatus. In the sheet they write down everything they are supposed to do, including leaps, balances, pivots, risks, masteries and apparatus handling. Then the judges add together the valid difficulties performed on the sheet. Basically this means that if a gymnast only does 2 rotations in attitude pivot, and she has written 3, she will only be credited for 2. However if she does 4 rotations, and has only asked for the value of 3, she will only get credit for the first 3 rotations.

The fun thing about each gymnast in this final is that they all ask for 10 in difficulty. However, if for example during a risk, the gymnast does not catch the apparatus, the entire risk will get 0 points. What makes Margarita and Yana so much better than the other gymnasts is that they perform with little execution errors and also gets credited with the difficulty they ask for because they perform them correctly. For example in clubs I noticed that Ganna skipped one of her masteries (a value of 0,3 if done correctly), which is basically giving 0,3 away right there.

I hope this explained it a bit. Just ask if you have any more questions. :)

Excellent post! Very informative.

One thing about the commentary in the US by Nastia Liukin was about how the Russians don't have time gaps between all the elements they do.

ILoveFigures

On the Ice

They are being hugged by Son Yeon Jae, who trains with them on a daily basis. :)

Excellent post! Very informative.

One thing about the commentary in the US by Nastia Liukin was about how the Russians don't have time gaps between all the elements they do.

That is a very good comment from Nastia, and it is also very true. You can see that the routines of Mamun and Kudryavsteva have very good flow from one element to the next. If there is a break in harmony between music and movement there is a 0,10 deduction in execution for each occurrence, which these two Russians more or less never have. :)

thoakun

Final Flight
Disaster for the sweetheart Melitina :cry:.

Ganna is the Stolbova of RG but sometimes I don't get what her choreography has anything to do with her music. I'm on team Ganna :love: but her dresses are :biggrin: I admit her competitive spirit but after Ganna' s retirement, RG in Ukraine may become non-existent.

Son is Satoko of RG. I'm indifferent to her gymnastics but it sucks to have huge media an sponsorship hype on your shoulders when you aren't' even a shoo in for bronze.

Rodriguez is a great dance but no difficulty, although I love it.

Mamun sealed her victory with a glorious Black Swan, just like Barsukova rising against all odds with her masterpiece The Swan ball.

Vladinova' s handling is great and I love the intricacy and explosive movement.

Last edited:

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
Margarita Mamun!! That ribbon performance was one for the ages.

I don't follow rhythmic gymnastics - did not even know until recently it was called rhythmic. I think the Russian names make more sense: artistic gymnastics is called sport gymnastics and rhythmic gymnastics is called artistic gymnastics. I was also aware of the conspiracies that the sport is rigged so that no matter how the Russians perform they always win.

But now, first of all I was deeply impressed by Margarita's performance. Who can openly say now that it was not deserved and someone else from another country was better? Second, I watched a short pre-Olympic movie on her (in Russian). Not only she and her mother are lovely people. It is also clear what a sweat factory this sport is with cut-throat internal competition, 8 hour trainings every day. Her mother gave up her life just to help Rita. My biggest respect and admiration to Margarita Mamun!

http://news.sportbox.ru/olympics/pg/spbvideo_NI655944_Mama_v_igre_Margarita_Mamun

puremagic

-
Record Breaker
Son is Satoko of RG. I'm indifferent to her gymnastics but it sucks to have huge media an sponsorship hype on your shoulders when you aren't' even a shoo in for bronze.
No! Absolutely not! Son is much Better! Son has a beautiful face, grace, softness and understanding programs! (like Yana) Satoko is not even close to Son. I was so disappointed when Anna Rizatdinova with her low difficulty routine took a third place :( Son deserved bronze medal, especially after 5th place at 2012 Olympics.

Yana, Son, Melitina and Salome - what a tragedy was at Olympics :cry: :cry: :cry:

Meoima

Match Penalty
I don't follow rhythmic gymnastics - did not even know until recently it was called rhythmic. I think the Russian names make more sense: artistic gymnastics is called sport gymnastics and rhythmic gymnastics is called artistic gymnastics. I was also aware of the conspiracies that the sport is rigged so that no matter how the Russians perform they always win.

But now, first of all I was deeply impressed by Margarita's performance. Who can openly say now that it was not deserved and someone else from another country was better? Second, I watched a short pre-Olympic movie on her (in Russian). Not only she and her mother are lovely people. It is also clear what a sweat factory this sport is with cut-throat internal competition, 8 hour trainings every day. Her mother gave up her life just to help Rita. My biggest respect and admiration to Margarita Mamun!

http://news.sportbox.ru/olympics/pg/spbvideo_NI655944_Mama_v_igre_Margarita_Mamun

Rita is the current WR, she might be inconsistent (once she dropped her clubs 5 times in a competition) but her quality is no doubt. I like Yana as well, her skills are just out of this world, but sometimes I feel Rita does better and is the more expressive one.

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
I don't follow rhythmic gymnastics - did not even know until recently it was called rhythmic. I think the Russian names make more sense: artistic gymnastics is called sport gymnastics and rhythmic gymnastics is called artistic gymnastics.

In Polish it's the same. I have written it already in different thread. I was confused by English terminology a lot. I mean where's artristy in Vault or Rings? It's pure sports values, no artistic values at all. Even Floor is funny, because nearly no one moves to the music. Most routines could've used totally different music and the efect would be the same. That's why Simone Biles is so good at it. If she was measured by Artistic values she woul've never win so much, but by Sport vaules she's amazing. It's obvious which Gymnastics is artistic in my opinion and it's not the one English speaking countries named...

Last edited:

thoakun

Final Flight
No! Absolutely not! Son is much Better! Son has a beautiful face, grace, softness and understanding programs! (like Yana) Satoko is not even close to Son. I was so disappointed when Anna Rizatdinova with her low difficulty routine took a third place :( Son deserved bronze medal, especially after 5th place at 2012 Olympics.

Yana, Son, Melitina and Salome - what a tragedy was at Olympics :cry: :cry: :cry:

By referring Son to Satoko, I meant they both have a rather long shot at making the podium. It has nothing to do with beauty face. They 're realistic top 5, but they can won't get the bronze if others hit. Son has never beat Ganna in all around in any events except for placing higher than Ganna in London 4 years ago IIRC.

Last edited:

thoakun

Final Flight
In Polish it's the same. I have written it somewhere already even. I was confused by English terminology a lot. I mean where's artristy in Vault or Rings? I's obvious which Gymnstics is artistic in my opinion and it's not the one English speaking countries named...

In Vietnamese, it's apparatus gymnastics for AG and artistic gymnastics for RG. I thin a lot of confusion and outcry about the lack of artistry in AG can be cleared if its name is changed. The point of the so-called AG has never to promote artistry. It originated from the ancient Greeks to support military training. It was resurrected in what is now Germany at the beginning of the 19th century by Frederich Jahn, an educator and nationalist to develop the physical and mental powers of young Germans through the practice of gymnastics.

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
In Vietnamese, it's apparatus gymnastics for AG and artistic gymnastics for RG. I thin a lot of confusion and outcry about the lack of artistry in AG can be cleared if its name is changed. The point of the so-called AG has never to promote artistry. It originated from the ancient Greeks to support military training. It was resurrected in what is now Germany at the beginning of the 19th century by Frederich Jahn, an educator and nationalist to develop the physical and mental powers of young Germans through the practice of gymnastics.

I agree 100% with you! :2thumbs:

sunnystars

#teamotherskaters
Record Breaker
Congrats to all medalist! Yes to Rita for finally winning :yahoo: I've been casually watching RG since the past few years and I've always felt bad for Rita being second. I've always preferred her more due to her expressivity. Now she has finally won!!!

Can't help feel bad for Son though. SK media has put such a burden on her since then to be heralded as a medal contender.