2016 Rio: Track and Field | Page 11 | Golden Skate

2016 Rio: Track and Field

alebi

Medalist
We managed to medal in Men Hammer Throw after all. Who would've thought. And both our 400 relays manged to qualify for Final! Maybe we'll get a National Record or something :hap10: I'm happy for Stefanidi, tough the heights weren't impresive. But who cares :p Japan's Silver in realy was a beautiful thing!

the hammer medal was really unexpected! Well... of course I mean with Nowicki. I didn't follow so well that competition (because I had one streaming on general and one on pole vault and my PC couldn't stand another one :drama:) and I haven't understood what happened with Nowicki's throws. I read he had the first two fouls but then one was measured :confused:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
oh i love them too... i was a HUGE fan of Michael Smith back then... but oh my... talk about the Canadian curse.... :(

I am slapping myself for momentarily forgetting Brianne ... I think that I was too stressed about Warner's decathlon and yeah... i lost a few brain cells over track and field this week... I was extremely sad for Barber.... he deserved better.

and honestly, today was a bit crazy... the japanese guy bumped our guy in the 50K walk... and was DQed then, he was reinstated and our guy lost his medal... that's not cool... If USA gets resintated for the 4X100 (they have appealed) I will have a fit.
:)

combined events have a special place in my heart, I won't forgive you :laugh:

Last edited:

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
the hammer medal was really unexpected! Well... of course I mean with Nowicki. I didn't follow so well that competition (because I had one streaming on general and one on pole vault and my PC couldn't stand another one :drama:) and I haven't understood what happened with Nowicki's throws. I read he had the first two fouls but then one was measured :confused:

Well, from what I've seen it was an unfair call from judges. He didin't step out in a second throw. He protested and then they measuerd it, which guaranteed him top 8. In last throw he managed to jump on podium. He actually was short of 8 cm to silver medal. Because Hammer Throwers have it tough, since they can't compete in Diamond League, he said that if he hadn't medaled, he would've stopped competing at all, since he didn't have money for it. In Poland you get money for Olympic medals, so that would enable him to do trainings without worrying for supporting his family (he had a baby girl born recently). It's really, really tough for some athletes.

alebi

Medalist
Well, from what I've seen it was an unfair call from judges. He didin't step out in a second throw. He protested and then they measuerd it, which guaranteed him top 8. In last throw he managed to jump on podium. He actually was short of 8 cm to silver medal. Because Hammer Throwers have it tough, since they can't compete in Diamond League, he said that if he hadn't medaled, he would've stopped competing at all, since he didn't have money for it. In Poland you get money for Olympic medals, so that would enable him to do trainings without worrying for supporting his family (he had a baby girl born recently). It's really, really tough for some athletes.

Aaawww it's so nice to hear that this medal will REALLY helps his career! It's always sad when people give up because of no financial help... We're all cheering when they win but we don't care about all the unknown problems they have to face to get there. I'm even more happy for him now! :)

alebi

Medalist
oh i love them too... i was a HUGE fan of Michael Smith back then... but oh my... talk about the Canadian curse.... :(

I am slapping myself for momentarily forgetting Brianne ... I think that I was too stressed about Warner's decathlon and yeah... i lost a few brain cells over track and field this week... I was extremely sad for Barber.... he deserved better.

and honestly, today was a bit crazy... the japanese guy bumped our guy in the 50K walk... and was DQed then, he was reinstated and our guy lost his medal... that's not cool... If USA gets resintated for the 4X100 (they have appealed) I will have a fit.

The judges went completely mad during this OG... They didn't follow the same logic on every case. To me, the female USA relay and the Japanese walker cases are fair, but they disqualified Kemboi and the USA miler and that's more questionable because they had no real advantages. It's even more arguable if you think that they allowed the two 1500 girls to compete in the final only because of fair play... That was a beautiful gesture but has nothing to do with time results... So next time I run, I cause a fall, I help the one who fell with me, I come last but I have a place in the final anyway? :disapp:

alebi

Medalist
I can't believe this will be the series in high jump.... :disagree:
1.88-1.93-1.97-2.00-2.02

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
lol i was thinking about that too... let's arrange to push each other around and pick each other up ;)
The judges went completely mad during this OG... They didn't follow the same logic on every case. To me, the female USA relay and the Japanese walker cases are fair, but they disqualified Kemboi and the USA miler and that's more questionable because they had no real advantages. It's even more arguable if you think that they allowed the two 1500 girls to compete in the final only because of fair play... That was a beautiful gesture but has nothing to do with time results... So next time I run, I cause a fall, I help the one who fell with me, I come last but I have a place in the final anyway? :disapp:

yhmafan

Medalist
Japan won Silver in the 100x4 relay! I watched a documentary on the team last month. None of the guys were fast enough to qualify for finals in individual sprints, but together, their coach worked out the perfect 'baton pass' technique so that there would be minimal slowing time during the pass. Teamwork wins! And they looked so delighted. :biggrin:

HERE. Congratulations for new Asian record. Unbelievable Team Japan stand next to Jamaica!! :eekn: For me the most jaw-dropping moment so far at Rio :yes2:

I just found our anchor man Aska Cambridge is Jamaican/Japanese, and Not to mention Bolt's greatness. :cool:

TheGrandSophy

Record Breaker
Some of the decisions in this meet have been highly questionable. The DQ of the GB men in the 4x400m relay semi was another odd one. I don't understand why they don't put cameras right on each important line in the boxes to give irrefutable evidence.

Heleng

Medalist
Country
United-States
Matthew Centrowitz!:yahoo: It's a toss up as to which is better, watching him win or the shocked reactions of his dad and sister!

Last edited:

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Very excited for Matt Centrowitz, a MD local, for the 1500m final on Sat! And so cool to see his proud dad, Matt Sr., a very nice guy who my son often saw coaching at the American U track when his high school XC/track team trained there. Sad for Robby Andrews though.

Well, if you were proud of him when you wrote this post, you must be over the moon now!

Heleng

Medalist
Country
United-States
Well, if you were proud of him when you wrote this post, you must be over the moon now!

Yes!:laugh: Still can't believe it, thought he had a shot at a medal, but honestly never dreamed he would win!

padme21

On the Ice
Is it just me or has there been an unprecedented amount of disqualifications in track and field this Olympics. USA, GB, Trinidad and Tobago ect. Some were corrected example US women's 4 x 100 relay but others are still questionable like Great Britain. Also the men's boxing was just wow so corrupt I mean an undisclosed amount of judges and referees sent home sadly the results still stand.

alebi

Medalist
I can't believe this will be the series in high jump.... :disagree:
1.88-1.93-1.97-2.00-2.02

Sorry if I quote myself... but this progression AS EXPECTED killed the high jump competition :disapp:
You can't win an Olympic medal with only 3 jumps... And we have to go back to Moscow 1980 (36 years!!!! prehistoric times in materials and training methods, chapeau to Sara Simeoni) to have the same winning measure.... I'm disgusted by what TV requirements are doing to this discipline... Now, why not start at 1.97 directly, if you're in a hurry?

The podium is fair for sure, but the competition was awful (I can't even call it "competition"...)
And I'm so sorry for Beitia, who's been the most consistent in the last years so she's the proper winner, but this contest will be remembered for something else

Last edited:

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Sorry if I quote myself... but this progression AS EXPECTED killed the high jump competition :disapp:
You can't win an Olympic medal with only 3 jumps... And we have to go back to Moscow 1980 (36 years!!!! prehistoric times in materials and training methods, chapeau to Sara Simeoni) to have the same winning measure.... I'm disgusted by what TV requirements are doing to this discipline... Now, why not start at 1.97 directly, if you're in a hurry?

The podium is fair for sure, but the competition was awful (I can't even call it "competition"...)
And I'm so sorry for Beitia, who's been the most consistent in the last years so she's the proper winner, but this contest will be remembered for something else

Yeah, I was dissapointed how this competition went, too. And you were right, that probably no lady will jump 2.00 m after all...