2016 Rio: USA Women's Gymnastics Team Qual | Page 9 | Golden Skate

2016 Rio: USA Women's Gymnastics Team Qual

invisiblespiral

Record Breaker
Hold on, weird note.

Douglas and Raisman are tied. If someone American scores over them, who gets 2-per-countried out of the final?

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
So we got in Team USA (with one rotation left):

* Simone and Aly in the AA
* Simone in Vault, Beam, Floor
* Aly in Floor
* Gabby in UB
* Madison in UB
* Laurie in Beam

Is there a reason nobody else from the U.S. opted to do two vaults and get in the event final?

ramurphy2005

Unabashed Mainer
On the Ice
Country
United-States
Is there a reason nobody else from the U.S. opted to do two vaults and get in the event final?

I'm guessing that none of them have a second consistent high scoring vault.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Wow. That was crazy dominance. I loved watching that on the feed. It was a little all over the place, but I eventually got to see most of the best routines.

I'm sure that in NBC Primetime, we'll hear more about the two-person-max rule, since Gabby is out of AA after qualifying third. Laurie is also out of floor after qualifying 4th. Gabby and Ali were both top 8 in balance beam, but they're out.

They made quite the to-do about that in London when Jordan Weiber qualified 4th for AA, but was only the third American.

I'm a little torn on the whole thing, to be honest. Of course, I want to see the best athletes go head-to-head, but I can also imagine how important it is for emerging nations to have an opportunity to earn a medal... or even to make the final.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

* Simone and Aly in the AA
* Simone in Vault, Beam, Floor
* Aly in Floor
* Gabby in UB
* Madison in UB
* Laurie in Beam

My understanding is that Marta does not consider that second vault as being that important, unless the vaulter is of gob-smacking superior skill, certain to win an event medal, like Simone or the girl from London.

The second vault does not contribute to the team event, and that is the Holy Grail for Marta.

gmyers

Record Breaker
There need to be many reforms to gymnastics and one of the things has be abolishing the top 2 rule and allowing everyone to see the best compete against each other not pretending there's equal quality in the world.