2016 Skate America Ladies FS | Page 47 | Golden Skate

2016 Skate America Ladies FS

mary01

Final Flight
Maria Polonius was just sharing their mom's "casual fan" impressions. I think that's why the :confused: emoji appeared next to mom's opinion of Mao. It's funny because it's surprising I think. Maybe I'm reading it wrong.

It's not surprising, because well you can't always please everyone, beside there will always be people who prefer the stone that founds everywhere over the diamond, that's precious and rare!

Last edited:

cleo2070

Final Flight
Could someone please post the protocols for the fs again, i have been looking for it

It's actually not difficult to find: go to our mods' brilliantly comprehensive first post in the thread :bow: and click the Official Results and protocol Page link - that's where you always find the official info (starting order, time schedule, judges' scores...). And there you have it! :)

ks777

Record Breaker
I Just wish Mao would retire already. She is no longer competitive technically and it's hard to watch. I bet you she won't even make the Olympic team in 2018. I am afraid she will be the next Fumie Suguri...., who couldn't even make the Japanese Nationals at the end of her skating career. Mao used to be so beautiful to watch but now I find her skating really boring and not excitingh anymore. I was a big fan of her around 2006-2009 but she hasn't improved since and instead she regressed presentation wise.

Barb

Record Breaker
I Just wish Mao would retire already. She is no longer competitive technically and it's hard to watch. I bet you she won't even make the Olympic team in 2018. I am afraid she will be the next Fumie Suguri...., who couldn't even make the Japanese Nationals at the end of her skating career. Mao used to be so beautiful to watch but now I find her skating really boring and not excitingh anymore. I was a big fan of her around 2006-2009 but she hasn't improved since and instead she regressed presentation wise.

This is said by a Michelle Kwan fan :eek:hwell: . In fact it would be great if she could get a bye like Michelle did for 2006. No, maybe Mao doesnt get a spot for olympics but nobody will be giving her anything, that is for sure.

Last edited:

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Thanks for the heads up Sam Skwantch. I didn't see that Maria Polonius wasn't the poster so I changed my comment a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam-Skwantch View Post
Maria Polonius was just sharing their mom's "casual fan" impressions. I think that's why the emoji appeared next to mom's opinion of Mao. It's funny because it's surprising I think. Maybe I'm reading it wrong.

I think it would be funny to put me down and make me watch a basketball game which of course I couldn't really care less about and ask me about the players! ;)

rosy14

Final Flight
Its like she just wants it all over and doesn't care anymore, she just looks resigned with no spirit or life in her. She REALLY needs to "find her love for skating" again or the rest of her career will be a nightmare
She need a "sabbatical". Let go the GPs, train and train, some minor competitions and then the Nationals. Otherwise another failure would seriously risk her career for ever. Either or change trainer.

mary01

Final Flight

Oh please give me a break, so a skater who had an offday because of an injury should just retire, if every skater did that everytime there as an injury we wouldn't have any skaters left. No-one forces you to watch don't like it don't watch. as for your claim that she hasn't improved since 2009, no she just revamped her whole jumps and relearned it with a new technique, is no longer getting the edge on the 3lz brought back the 2a-3t etc. won two other World titles a World bronze, a GPF title and a 4CC title a dosin GP titles etc. In the timeperiod you think she didn't improve she achieved more then 99 % of skaters get to achieve in their lifetime!

Last edited:

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Quote Originally Posted by Sam-Skwantch View Post
Maria Polonius was just sharing their mom's "casual fan" impressions. I think that's why the emoji appeared next to mom's opinion of Mao. It's funny because it's surprising I think. Maybe I'm reading it wrong.

I think it would be funny to put me down and make me watch a basketball game which of course I couldn't really care less about and ask me about the players! ;)

Question #1) Why are their feet so squeaky?

Question #2) Why don't they call it Squeak Ball 🏀 ?

Question #3) Where is the remote?

mary01

Final Flight
This is said by a Michelle Kwan fan :eek:hwell: . In fact it would be great if she could get a bye like Michelle did for 2006. No, maybe Mao doesnt get a spot for olympics but nobody will be giving her anything, that is for sure.

LOl Mao Asada doesn't need anything, She won every title there is to win multiple times, set a dosin records, made history and is today the richest female skater, a millionaire. Kudos for her for even still wanting to continue despite injury, this just shows her commitment and love for the sport!

Last edited:

miki88

Medalist

Really? I have to disagree. Her Nocturne 2.0 was one of her best. I really liked her long program this year. The consistency isn't there but she definitely improved her artistic presentation since 2009.

I do have to say I find all this talk of certain skaters should take a break or retire unpleasant. And it's not only when it's a skater I like. Not a fan of Gracie but the endless questioning on her fitness or motivation to continue skating is a bit much. It's her career and she can do whatever she wants. Same with Mao. If this annoys some people, then the simple solution is to not watch their performances.

Last edited:

Alex D

Record Breaker
I enjoyed Mao, especially in the SP, my respect for Angelina has grown even more - considering the circumstances she had to skate in and Gracie I hope can just get a break from all the Drama surrounding her. With all due respect, I think it´s not fair to assume or judge her "problems", if nobody is even close to her.

Yes, her skating was not going too well, but this is no reason to talk her down like that or open a medical case for her.

Mariah was wonderful, great outfits and gorgeous smile at the last spins in her Free and Ashley has proven what a strong will and dedication can do with a skater who might not be as perfect or blessed like others.

TBC...

Amei

Record Breaker
She need a "sabbatical". Let go the GPs, train and train, some minor competitions and then the Nationals. Otherwise another failure would seriously risk her career for ever. Either or change trainer.

Didn't she take a couple months off of figure skating this summer???

ks777

Record Breaker

I am more of a Shizuka, Yuka, Michelle fan. I used to be Fumie and Mao fan too.

sk8hrd

Rinkside
I have been busy with a project this weekend so I haven't been able to keep up, so sorry if this has already been asked.
Can a skater do 2 3Lz+3T s in a FS? If so why haven't we seen more people attempting this?

yuki

Final Flight
I have been busy with a project this weekend so I haven't been able to keep up, so sorry if this has already been asked.
Can a skater do 2 3Lz+3T s in a FS?
Yes, there is no rule against repeating a combo.

If so why haven't we seen more people attempting this?
a. Not everyone has the ability to do two 3-3 in the same program
b. Some skaters would rather repeat a harder triple than the 3T, for higher BV.

ks777

Record Breaker
Can a skater do 2 3Lz+3T s in a FS? If so why haven't we seen more people attempting this?
yes, you can. The reason why you don't see that often is because you can only do 3 combo jumps in LP. If you do 2 3lutz/3toes, you can only do one more combo. Let's say skater A did a 2 3lutz/3toe and a 3 flip/2toe. now skater A can only do one 2A instead of a 2A and 2A/combo.

artsciboy

On the Ice
yes, you can. The reason why you don't see that often is because you can only do 3 combo jumps in LP. If you do 2 3lutz/3toes, you can only do one more combo. Let's say skater A did a 2 3lutz/3toe and a 3 flip/2toe. now skater A can only do one 2A instead of a 2A and 2A/combo.

Also, Mai Mihara was likely not planning on doing 2x 3z-3t in the FS. Based on her performance at Nebelhorn Trophy, she was aiming for 3z-3t and then 2a-3t. Once she popped the 2a combination, she decided to improve and tack the 3t onto her 2nd 3z. Probably thinking too much about it, which is why it got a <<.

jenm

The Last One Degree
Medalist

I totally disagree. I was really happy when Mao decided to come back. I love watching her skate. Her skating is beautiful and certainly a gem in this current field of rushed skating to cram all the elements for points. I mean have you seen her footwork in this year's LP? She's one of the most graceful skaters right now (and ever IMO). Sure she has off days but that's understandable given her break and current physical condition. I mean there's more to skating than medals.

I just think it's over-the-top to tell a skater to retire just because you don't appreciate her work anymore. She will come through. She's Mao frickin Asada. She writes history.

chairmanmao

Final Flight

The faux concern is not needed nor required.