2016 Skate America Ladies SP | Page 57 | Golden Skate

2016 Skate America Ladies SP

andromache

Record Breaker
I really don't think Ashley is being singled out as much as you seem to think. There are quite a few ladies more who get scrutinized and called overscored.

And again, that over-generalization... no. I was one of the audience members. I saw Ashley twice, from really good and pretty bad seats. She didn't reach me either time. Not at all.

:confused2: It's a subjective sport, and based on audience and judge responses, her performances obviously reach the majority of them. If it didn't reach you, that's fine, but it doesn't mean she is objectively bad or that she is receiving a PCS benefit that other skaters are not receiving.

Ashley is receiving the most negativity in this thread so that's why I'm addressing it. Evgenia will probably be in the same situation next week and I'll do the same thing - though Evgenia seems to have more fans on this site, so someone else might do it.

Anyway.....

Sima looked gorgeous last night and I'm glad she held onto her jumps because I was super worried about her. I'm not a fan of the miming at the start of the program, but otherwise it's a very well-done, understated program. There's a light, lyrical quality to her skating, and I hope she gets the jumps together as her career progresses, because I think she has a lot to offer the sport. She's very elegant.

topaz emerald

Match Penalty
Ashley reminds me of what William Wyler said about Humphrey Bogart: "As an actor he obviously had limitations -- his range was not that great, but within his range he was the best around".
Subtlety is not her thing, but she capitalizes on her strengths AND she has come a long way in working on her technical shortcomings (two-footings for example). I admire her a lot.

Great comment, I agree about Ashley. She could have easily disappeared off the skating world of competition, but she's weathered it through to get to where she is now and has earned all her success.

mcq

Record Breaker
The one who give me the biggest impression is actually Gabby daleman. She is fiery, fast, strong, has huge jumps and I like her style. Not a fan of her air position since I think it is a bit messy, but she has time to fix that and is in good hands. Has she always been this fast? I vaguely remembered her from since Sochi but she didn't really make much impression to me or strike me as super fast skater before. Is she actually fast in person/live or was it the camera giving me the impression?

topaz emerald

Match Penalty
:laugh:
The problem is, Äshley is not a world-class skater. She is just some overrated middle-class athlet who is hyped, because Murrica has no other who can take challange with Russia, Korea or Japan.

Now you are sounding very anti-american. You do know that Gracie could have beaten the mediocre skater that is evegenia Medvedeva at worlds, right? With her poor transitions, slow skating, weak SS, uncalled flutz, and labored jumps, right? Stay bitter, lmao.

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker
Welp, sorry I probably misunderstand. Your few earlier posts give the impression that you are not very fond of skaters with sub-par skills to be included in some competitions. Actually, rather than federation, it is better to send skaters to top coaches. Not sure if it has anything to do with the Kazakhstan Fed but D10 goes to Frank and Elizabet goes to Orser, I think that will help more. Most skaters are self-funded anyway, thus the limited number of talents.

It did? Eek, not my intention. I posted this:

The ISU would be doing everyone a far bigger favor if they established a sponsorship program of some kind where kids like this, and from other developing countries, got a deal to have a say, 3 to 5-year stay at one of the bigger federations, expenses shared by the ISU and the host, because yadda yadda yadda, it's easy to explain in PR speak, and then post those three years he'll pass those demands with flying colors (I don't think they need to be high at all, just enough to have at least a low level SP and yet it's a goal to strive for). That's the true way of helping skating spread and helping these countries that don't have any kind of program. This on the other hand is just tokenism. No disrespect meant towards this boy, yes, he's courageous but he needs more help than applause.

I spoke of the 'demands' or whatever, let's say level, that's better, post those 3 to 5 years because not only is it a goal for the kids to strive for but to be perfectly blunt, it's easier to sell to sponsors in this case. If the expenses are to be shared between the ISU and the host federation, then there has to be a goal post of that kind. Of course, the ISU can and should fudge and make sure that's a low level one and very easily passable. The PR side is very easy otherwise, helping skating, poorer countries, etc etc etc. It is also why I said federations (and not directly coaches), because of the shared funding and then the federation can direct to a coach. I am not talking a huge amount of people because that's not doable but surely all federations together and the ISU can handle 5 kids annually? (lets start small). Financially long term this opens up new markets too so it's investing for future profits.

Most skaters are self-funded indeed but that's the curse. It's going to be very difficult and slow to kick-start the sport due to that in the poorer places. So what better way to do it, than accelerate the progress for example in this way? And if by doing this you get competitive kids (not even for the top spots) then you can sell this idea back in their own country of origin far more easily to start securing that funding from their side because nothing generates interest as much as success. This same sort of scheme could be done by financing during that say first 5 year period of the first child, a scholarship/internship for a sports coach of someone from the same country so that once the kid rotates back there's someone waiting. But that's far cheaper and more doable anyway.

Of course it's all dreams. Anyway, I definitely don't see anything wrong with giving them a chance to participate as things stand now. I was talking hypothetically about the above.

I think it's that old injury for D10. Considering this is the second one he withdrew from I am afraid it probably isn't some small thing.

Last edited:

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
:confused2: It's a subjective sport, and based on audience and judge responses, her performances obviously reach the majority of them. If it didn't reach you, that's fine, but it doesn't mean she is objectively bad or that she is receiving a PCS benefit that other skaters are not receiving.

The only thing I was trying to get across is that IMO you can not interpret as much into the audience reaction as far as you see it on TV as you did. Just because people gave Ashley a SO doesn't mean they loved her as much as you seemed to make it out to be. They could simply want to show their respect for a skater going clean, without thinking she was an oh so amazing performer. I don't believe audiences are generally as lazy to get up on their feet as you seem to (at least from what I understood from your posts).

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
As a Canadian, that's how I feel about "Inflate Canada". Osmond, in particular, has received some inflated PCS scores.

Umm, ...I am not sure if you do any research at all before posting, artsciboy? If you had, then you would know that over the past 3 years, Kaetlyn's best placement at SC international is 11th (2015). In 2013, she withdraw after completing just the short program due to injury, and in 2014 after breaking her leg that Sept., she did not compete.

Sure...loads of inflation there, artsciboy. :rolleye:

Last edited:

mrrice

Record Breaker
I would say you dodged a bullet with that one, Mr. Rice!

You're so right. I remember when the movie finally came out and it bombed. This was near the end of my "On Camera" career which ended when I didn't the job in Sister Act 2. That's when my agent said "I think you're getting too old to dance on screen" I cried.......... Fortunately, he told me that Coca Cola was launching a tour World Wide tour and they were looking for Multilingual vocalists. That was the beginning of a very happy and financially beneficial time in my life. Culminating with me meeting........http://iv1.lisimg.com/image/5905372/516full-maria-butyrskaya.jpg

I can't believe that was almost 20 years ago. Time really does fly.

Last edited:

Skatingcat

Final Flight
The more I watch Mao, the more impressed I am. Rewatching her SP, I feel like the floats over the ice, and she's fearless when she jumps. I hope she builds on her technical aspects, but this is indeed my favorite program this season. I hope she medals here.

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The one who give me the biggest impression is actually Gabby daleman. She is fiery, fast, strong, has huge jumps and I like her style. Not a fan of her air position since I think it is a bit messy, but she has time to fix that and is in good hands. Has she always been this fast? I vaguely remembered her from since Sochi but she didn't really make much impression to me or strike me as super fast skater before. Is she actually fast in person/live or was it the camera giving me the impression?

No, she really does skate that fast. She's easily one of the fastest skater here across all disiplines.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Umm, ...I am not sure if you do any research at all before posting, artsciboy? If you had, then you would know that over the past 3 years, Kaetlyn's best placement at SC international is 11th (2015). In 2013, she withdraw after completing just the short program due to injury, and in 2014 after breaking her leg that Sept., she did not compete.

Sure...loads of inflation there, artsciboy. :rolleye:

Thank you for saving me the time it would have taken to defend Kaetlyn and Patrick "inflation" Chan. There are some skaters that you have to see in person to really appreciate. Seriously, Patrick would jump and you could literally hear the entire crowd gasp. I loved it!! It's the same way Max Arron. You can't believe how fast he is until you see him in person. Plus he's.....:yes: to look at....

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Can you explain why to an Italian fan not at all "in" with the American skating world ? Thank you

I cannot say that I am "in" with the skating world or with certainty why Seren said this.

However, I can say that based on quotes in his interviews, I believe that Rafael has "disrespected" Rohene. When Rohene won choreographer of the year award in 2014, Rafael was quoted as not understanding why "That choreographer for Jason Brown" (Couldn't even remember his name?:confused:) won. I think, maybe, based on other quotes I have read, that Rafael thinks it is his duty as a coach to throw shade on others. Don't understand the posturing and braggadocio myself, but hey, different strokes....

Now, he could have been misquoted, he could have been posturing, who knows? But when I heard Mariah was leaving Kori, I thought to myself Rohene's programs are a *big* part of her charm this year, and she would be ill advised to ditch them.

Glad to see she hasn't and glad to see all is :ghug:

Last edited:

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
The thing with Gabby is that she is still sooo young (18 at the moment). I have said this before, that given her power and her fitness level (a "Machine" like Meagan), I would not be surprised to see her be the first Canadian woman, to do 3A in competition.

Having Brian Orser in her camp, who owned the axel in his day, will help.

Last edited:

mary01

Final Flight
The more I watch Mao, the more impressed I am. Rewatching her SP, I feel like the floats over the ice, and she's fearless when she jumps. I hope she builds on her technical aspects, but this is indeed my favorite program this season. I hope she medals here.

I feel totally the same, I can't wait to see her free tonight, her programs look like masterpieces you could watch again and again, I also love the way she moves around skating backward, forward, and making turns when she goes from one element to another, making everything look soo well connected. I hope she an amazing skate and wins, after the freeskate!

jenm

The Last One Degree
Medalist
:popcorn:

Disrespectful comments and judging issues aside, this has been a good event in my opinion.
Not at all a splat fest. They all skated well and Gracie only fell once and did a magnificent 3Lz+3T. Seriously, how great was that? :)

Mao was so fierce and lovely and just overall an amazing skater and I agree that she should have gotten more PCS than Ashley and Ashley should have gotten a bit less.
But, for me, the event was overall enjoyable. That guy who shouted at the beginning of So Youn's program was golden. :laugh:

Ashley's performance was on point. She just brings the stadium to life. Although I agree it was more dancing than skating in the beginning. But she won rightfully and I enjoyed her performance.

I have to say their costumes are all beautiful. Strappy dress makes Gracie look sexy. The beading on Ashley's dress is just beautiful.
Mao looks fierce and elegant in her makeup and costume. I especially like Soyoun's black dress with the gold sequins. They all look fantastic. :love:

Wishing them all the best especially Mao on the LP! :hap10:

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
I for one enjoy Ashley and think she deserves her lead. At worlds I would have rather seen Anna for silver but I could live with Ashley's silver too. What I really like about Ashley is that she's definitely not boring. No offense meant, but she always entertains. Mai Mihara was kind of clean but I felt nothing watching her skate. It's the great thing about such a competition. You get different nationalities and different performances. I like the international comps much more than nationals.

mirai4life

1Lo <
Record Breaker
The thing with Gabby is that she is still sooo young (18 at the moment). I have said this before, that given her power and her fitness level (a "Machine" like Meagan), I would not be surprised to see her be the first Canadian woman, to do 3A in competition.

not even surprised if she can be 4T 4F 4Lz and all that

#makeItHappen