2016 Skate Canada Ladies SP | Page 43 | Golden Skate

2016 Skate Canada Ladies SP

Skinny80

Match Penalty
I edited my post before ;)I meant that person who wons Worlds and beats WR SHOULD HAVE clean jumps. And should be able to do lutz. Clean lutz.Sorry.For me thats obvious.And her combos are not spectacular. Lets be honest. You see great SS, transistions etc. I see poor ice coverage, combos when her head is on her kness between jumps, irritating standin' in front of the judges and do pantomime .And her faces... Is that the interpretation? Choreo is still the same as the last year.Where do you see any diffence? Step seqences are on junior level. Dis she make any progress since that? I mentioned movements ,you started talk abotu spins- I didnt actually mean that. If her programs were BALANCED, it would be better. Now I have an impression that her programs are all the same. First spin,that slow,repeated STSQ ,spin and jumps,jumps,jumps,jumps,jumps..spin in the end .For you it means that her programs are extremely diffcult,I find it boring, As I said she got high scores because of that. The same is with D/R . They got such scores for interpretation and choreo cause of lutzes,quads. They dont deserve them.They have none. Programs are The same year after year. The same with Medviedeva
Not to mention her new LP, do you see any connection to the "music"? ;)

Last edited:

TheGrandSophy

Record Breaker
[Snip] Satoko - uh, I blame it on the dress... just when I thought that finally this season she is impeccably dressed, she's gotten back to her 'bathing suits for babies' :palmf: Please, Satoko, if you want to be taken as a serious contender by judges (and you don't have big jumps or politicking behind you) you need to look the part!
[snip]

Hamaguri in the Satoko thread posted:

http://www.nikkansports.com/sports/n...kkansports_ogp

According the article, the reason of her change of costume is she was pointed out that her original costume was childish by a judge after US classic.

So the poor girl can't win, tbh.

Sweet Dream

Final Flight
Other nations need to medal sometimes too, otherwise it's not fun. It might be bad for competitiveness, but good form sport overall, so it's good for everyone who is in the sport. :) This is how j prefer to think when I feel some points are a bit rigged. Deep breath helps too. ;)

I think a sport can only get popular with the audience through intense competitions among the athletes from different countries. I am fine with the placements & scores of the Ladies SP, and I do have nothing to complain about the judging here. I just feel that some posters here are too harsh on Evgenia's skating. No matter whether you like it or not, she is a great skater & competitor who deserves our deep respect instead of overreacted attacks.

xabia

On the Ice
Posted by Itoja: Liza - another one here - Mozart&Tango how can this be treated seriously?! Why they don't trust her? She is perfectly capable to handle Mozart, in her own quirky way of course, sure they could find some Mozart music for steps???

Carolina Kostner managed to incorporate steps in the same Mozart piano concerto (Worlds 2012) without having to adulterate it with tango.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjBtanpTYTY

qwerty

On the Ice
Re: Tuktamysheva's low-ish GOE on her triple lutz: perhaps the judges thought the steps preceding this jump were too few.

liv

Record Breaker
It was great for me to watch these ladies live as I haven't been to a competition for a long time. Just a few notes:

1. Medvedeva. I was actually a little underwhelmed by her, and I wanted to love her. With those great marks from last year, I was expecting much more. She does clean elements and has a lovely personality, but I was surprised to be a bit disappointed. Her jumps are well done, but certainly not powerful or with lots of flow coming out. It was glaringly obvious how much she does right in front of the judges or just slightly further out. Yes, everyone plays to the judges so that is to be expected, but I found it more obvious than with other skaters. I am not saying she should not be in first, just that she didn't live up to my expectations which were probably too high because of those high marks from last year. That being said, she delivered when it counted, she was charming on the ice and off, and I still like her. Part of me wonders if she got such high marks this time because they had given so much to Kaetlyn already...

2. Osmond- Kaetlyn on the other hand was quite fast and her jumps are great to look at with lots of height and flow coming out. Good ice coverage and lots of audience interaction. I actually enjoyed her far more than I wanted to because I've never been a huge fan. She actually won me over with this program so that surprised me too.

3. Rika- It is too bad she skated first, even though she pretty much brought the house down with her clean sp to start off the competition. I think she would've gotten higher marks if she had. She was gloriously raw in her movements, it's like she's galloping her way through the program. I loved it, lol!!

4. Nagai- Sad for her. She came to warm up/stretch in the stands, actually right behind/beside me, and I gave her a little thumbs up, good luck and smile and she bobbed her head in thanks... so I was sad when she had such a poor performance. I hope she can bounce back in the long.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
WR scores in a subjective sport that changes rules every quad, reweights the value of elements, factors personal preferences, has performance scores open to interpretation, etc makes me lol everytime. No idea why anyone takes it seriously :laugh:

I was one of the first to criticize Zhenya's silly jump rope program and I'm going to put it on my ignore list as much as possible this year but I may have to reconsider if it's going to make people loose their marbles on this board every time Her scores come up. Any skater is welcome to try the same layout if they are interested in beating her. Whether or not they're capable...well that is another thing.

Last edited:

Zhenya is DIVINE

On the Ice
Country
Russia
Zhenya's short this season is STELLAR! It is my favorite short she's done! Very nice to see her rewarded with a PB here.

I really hope Mirai isn't injured because these mistakes were really out of character for her. Shocking, really. I am really worried because I thought she was going to slay this season.

Liza looked quite happy and satisfied with her performance. But I really miss her signature mumu. This costume looked as though she was going to be working the streets following her program. :slink:

Ever since Worlds last season, the judges have been cracking down on Satoko with < galore. Very troublesome as her jumps don't appear any different than they did when they were receiving full credit. I wonder if she's being dropped.

Last edited:

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Ever since Worlds last season, the judges have been cracking down on Satoko with < galore. Very troublesome as her jumps don't appear any different than they did when they were receiving full credit. I wonder if she's being dropped.
They've been harsh on everyone all season already including the Challanger Series events and other Senior B's and on the JGP. I was on record months ago saying that if the judges are going to be this harsh on everyone Satoko was in real danger. I bet she gets dinged hard too in the FS and to think.....I put her as my gold medalist in the prediction game with Mirai in third :curse:

Not sure what you mean by "being dropped" but everyone is facing the same scrutiny from what I've seen.

Last edited: