2016 Skate Detroit | Page 14 | Golden Skate

2016 Skate Detroit

skatemouse

On the Ice
I am so glad to see Denney and Frazier back with a great skate and a really enjoyable program. Those lifts!

Great program. Did not like the center cut of music so slow and boring, she was really really stiff on her knee it is very concerning and seems they are back too soon. I hope she takes it easy but if she has no bend on that knee that is not good one wrong landing.
Also 120 for axel axel and step out of a sal? that is crazy and I understanding being supportive but to over reach is not fair to others there.
Everything else looks pretty good but she is way stiff on landing and even the choreography like falling leaf her leg is almost straight and he looks very broken he needs to stretch more. I thought he was working on that during the break?
I am just worried they are coming BACK WAY too soon.
Not worth it they are very young talented and have plenty of time so take it come back in another year and when she can bend well and is very very healed. I hope someone is telling them that as they would be amazing after 2018 and healthy. They are a huge hope for later and several more years on that knee starting this soon is crazy.

bramweld

Record Breaker
Ooooh that was really lovely! After such a serious injury as she had it's just really cool to see Haven and Brandon skate like this :love:

Missed it will just have to wait on video :sad4:

On another note why don't people understand that only FEW mortals can play the role of Carmen? Just sad to waste your time on a program that will never amount to anything much.

Last edited:

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Last edited:

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
Keegan Messing had a great compettion. I wonder if he will be able to keep his good disposition in Autumn & Winter.

Keegan's score was HUGE and is up there with top tier skaters. I realize it is perhaps not fair comparing competitions but nice to see him getting closer to top skaters. To put it in perspective, the same score would have placed him 7th place at Worlds 2015 and 11th (bumping Denis Ten) in Boston 2016. Great skates Keegan!

I :love: Nick's Elvis program and with time, this should be a real crowd pleaser!

Last edited:

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
As sunnystars suggests on page 17, it is possible to "rewind" the YouTube stream to watch an earlier performance. There is a link in sunnystar's post.

:thank: for this post. I was looking at the (at the time) last page of the thread last night, and because of your post I was able to watch a couple of the men's FS and several of the pairs, which I enjoyed very much.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Ooooh that was really lovely! After such a serious injury as she had it's just really cool to see Haven and Brandon skate like this :love:

I totally agree. I'm even a little biased against their music, but in this program I was completely on board :love: and experienced the music in a new way.

One thing I noticed is that I think they've been watching Papadakis / Cizeron. There's something about the way Haven and Brandon are completing their movements when touching each other's arms, almost like a lingering caress, that I think is new. And it reminds me of P/C.

I could be totally off base here, but hey, it's my opinion and I noticed it right away. In addition, I think their artistic interpretation has really improved:cheer:, since they completely held my attention through one piece of music that I don't especially like.

jlmart

On the Ice
Country
Canada
I see Stephen Gogolev in his first junior competition was second by 1.5 points despite 4 falls!!

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I see Stephen Gogolev in his first junior competition was second by 1.5 points despite 4 falls!!

When was the last time Canada, the USA, Japan, or Russia sent a guy to the Olympics that was under 18 (Minus Yagudin in 1998)? Cause if his body cooperates when he has his growth spurt and he continues to improve in skill, then I don't see why he wouldn't have a chance for the 2022 Olympics. He'll definitely be old enough by then.

LadyB

Record Breaker
Stephen is Team Orser's future, I hope he'll get through puberty alright. :party:

blue_ice

On the Ice
Stephen Gogolev LP wasn't very good, seems that he was skating better last year, I don't see progress, seem that he is stuck. Also I noticed Zackary Dalman regressing rapidly from last year. Sadovsky - what a pity. I liked Conraz Orzel skating and progress, he is good. Keegan improved, good job.
Kelsey Wong - nice LP skate, hope she'll get GP assignment. What a gem Emily Chan - for second I thought I saw Yuna Kim. All Dallas girls were pretty awesome. Future star - Ashley Kim and hanna Harrell (N 3rd).
Lutricia Bock - a lovely skater, what a joy I love her LP, so much fun to watch.
Novice ladies Pooja Kalyan - just wow, what a jumper anyone know who is coaching her? Lovely Angelina Huang - what a beauty, good jumps and programs.

Last edited:

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
Stephen Gogolev LP wasn't very good, seems that he was skating better last year, I don't see progress, seem that he is stuck. Also I noticed Zackary Dalman regressing rapidly from last year. Sadovsky - what a pity. I liked Conraz Orzel skating and progress, he is good. Keegan improved, good job.
Kelsey Wong - nice LP skate, hope she'll get GP assignment. What a gem Emily Chan - for second I thought I saw Yuna Kim. All Dallas girls were pretty awesome. Future star - Ashley Kim and hanna Harrell (N 3rd).
Lutricia Bock - a lovely skater, what a joy I love her LP, so much fun to watch.
Novice ladies Pooja Kalyan - just wow, what a jumper anyone know who is coaching her? Lovely Angelina Huang - what a beauty, good jumps and programs.

Considering Stephen is 11 years old, is skating new programs at the junior level for the first time, and is attempting to do a quad Salchow in his FS in addition to a triple Axel I'm going to ask that we reserve judgement until the season has progressed a bit further. There are few skaters his age out there doing the level of technical elements he is so maybe we can take a wait and see approach.