2016 Trophée de France Ladies FS | Page 54 | Golden Skate

2016 Trophée de France Ladies FS

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
Yeah, not sure why Buyanova is limiting Maria in this way. She should be packaged to win like Eteri's girls are, with more artistically interesting programs. Maria should be the obvious choice for Russia's #3 this year, but I think her snoozy programs mean that Elena Radionova has an edge over her, even if Maria's overall quality is better this season.

I don't know, maybe because that was her style when she competed 40 years ago.

It's interesting to see that she hasn't touched Maria's 2A technique yet, she was known for her huge 2a (Adelina has inherited it).

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
wow... this is getting mean here... no matter who it is, Leonova, Gracie or anyone, there's no need to make statements about falls... they hurt enough as it is... not only physically but emotionally. I had never seen Gabby so out of life right after the 3T fall... she nearly fell flat on her stomach. Yet she managed 2 lutzes a salchow and a loop after that.... she fought hard.

We all have failures in life.... all of us. We all make mistakes...but most of us have the privilege of dealing with our mistakes in the privacy of our own life.... but when skaters fall, they do it in front of thousands of people at the rink and millions online. Let's be more supportive.

Last edited:

sunnystars

#teamotherskaters
Record Breaker
I think Mao should've used the Yuna-way this season. Focus on healing and battle whatever injuries and go all out on the necessary competitions.

If only she just flipped the bird to JSF before and make them all scramble for the domestics scheduling so she could rest.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Skating While French? But it doesn't matter because she took herself out of contention with her falls. I really don't care about score inflation if the skater (like Gracie) is in 8th place.

Inflation should matter regardless of the skater or nationality. Because the next competition can be affected by previous results.

andromache

Record Breaker
Inflation should matter regardless of the skater or nationality. Because the next competition can be affected by previous results.

I actually thought seeing a (non-Russian) Euro girl (not named Carolina Kostner) get the benefit of inflation for once was extremely refreshing. :agree:

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
wow... this is getting mean here... no matter who it is, Leonova, Gracie or anyone, there's no need to make statements about falls... they hurt enough as it is... not only physically but emotionally. I had never seen Gabby so out of life right after the 3T fall... she nearly fell flat on her stomach. Yet she managed 2 lutzes a salchow and a loop after that.... she fought hard.

We all have failures in life.... all of us. We all make mistakes...but most of us have the privilege of dealing with our mistakes in the privacy of our own life.... but when skaters fall, they do it in front of thousands of people at the rink and millions online. Let's be more supportive.

Absolutely, that was the point: let's be supportive with all the skaters, not just the one you are rooting for.

SXTN

Final Flight
Will the Japanese girl who did the 3A in the past continue skating after that double jump festival? Does anyone have informaton about that?

enotic

Spectator
The ugly comments about that teenage girl are out of line & totally disgusting...you never such comments about "overrated" male skaters on here. Or any non-Russian girl.

BUT non-russian girls, if (BIG IF) given the inflation, don't get as much inflation as Russian girls do, like Medvedeva. I don't hate her or hold any hard feelings against her, but her scores are "consistently" "ridiculously" high.

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
I actually thought seeing a (non-Russian) Euro girl (not named Carolina Kostner) get the benefit of inflation for once was extremely refreshing. :agree:

As someone who has been following Laurine closely for a few years now, she had a fantastic outing here... better than anything I've ever seen from her before (particularly in the SP). She definitely deserves the increase in PCS!

ice coverage

Record Breaker
There's 90-minutes of NBCSN coverage tomorrow from 4:30 - 6:00 PM EST.

FWIW: My listings describe it as "Pairs, dance and men's free programs from Paris." Could be a mistake?

FWIW, the press release (from Thursday) for Sunday's NBCSN broadcast bills it as coverage of the men's and ladies free skates.

Just my two cents:
I could see a certain amount of NBCSN de-emphasis on ladies -- b/c media darling Gracie unfortunately was well off the podium. But I don't think NBCSN would ignore ladies entirely???
Adam vs. Nathan vs. the international men is a great opportunity for storytelling.
And it would be a good time for NBCSN to show more dance than usual -- P/C and H/D.​

Last edited:

whatif

Medalist
As expected, Daleman self-distracted. Except for Medvedeva and Sotskova, what an awful day of skating indeed.

So it looks like Osmond has a very good chance of qualifying as I don't see Radio making podium at COC.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
I'm just going to say that despite the mistakes for Gracie, this was the best she has performed a program all year. There's still time to pull herself together for the second half of the season.

Everything else here bored me. Sad for Mao's physical condition that has sapped her energy. Wishing a miracle for her at Japanese Nationals.

kiara_bleu

On the Ice
I'm just going to say that despite the mistakes for Gracie, this was the best she has performed a program all year. There's still time to pull herself together for the second half of the season.

Everything else here bored me. Sad for Mao's physical condition that has sapped her energy. Wishing a miracle for her at Japanese Nationals.

Agree with you, Gracie actually looked freer out there and with more energy despite the falls and mistakes. Was glad that one of the British Euro commenters observed the same thing. Had a thought though that maybe it's because she knows there's no way she's going to GPF and she not only has a good break from competition but also from the public scrutiny. Having to face the media knowing they are going to ask some variation of "what's wrong with you?" must be pretty excruciating.

magicalwords

On the Ice
I agree! I've always loved her skating. She is so expressive and musical, and the judges don't give her any credit for it.
I do think she just needs a little bit more EnErGy for her LP but yes, she seems very musical and it was evident in her SP yesterday. Hope her good showing helps her get the PCS she deserves... I just go :scratch2: at the CH scores haha.

Ooh you should watch her ex Byakuyakou tmr then! It's lovely, and the more soft lyrical type :)
Awesome :) Her muscular build, speed, and good jumps make her programs super satisfying to watch, I have high hopes for her and wish her the best.

Edit: Okay, just watched her EX on youtube, I can't believe she's 15 :jaw:

Last edited:

TwinnerA

Final Flight
Country
United-States
From Ice Network:

"Gracie Gold had another rough outing and never put herself in medal contention. The talented yet struggling American opened her free program to Ravel's Daphnis et Chloé with an exquisite choreographic sequence that only the best skaters can perform, and landed her double axel with speed and ease.

Gold was just as determined when she went into her triple lutz-triple toe combo, but she fell after the lutz. She landed her loop and double axel-triple toe but lost her energy and missed her remaining jumps. Her three spins and step sequence were rated Level 4.

"I definitely felt better today," a relieved Gold said. "You know, I had a really slow start of the season, which started August 1 instead of May 15. There is nothing wrong with this program, and I am progressing. I have to speed up my timeframe and now have to get ready rapidly."

At least we know that Gracie isn't devastated over her result but rather relieved that it is over and sounds positive going forward!

jkun

Final Flight
How did Evgenia score 140+ with a fall.. That's quite amazing. Only Anna or Ashley might be able to outscore her, even if she falls, if they skate PERFECT.