2016 World Championships Ladies Free Skate | Page 139 | Golden Skate

2016 World Championships Ladies Free Skate

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
It was. Trust if it was the reverse and Ashley did that to Evgenia or Anna, Americans wouldn't hear the end of it. Pro Russian forum members on here already called the crowd "anti-Russian" tonight because they didn't stand up fast enough in their standing-o to Evgenia. :palmf:

I'm pretty sure that Anna was pissed off by the score, she thought she was better than Ashley... her reaction in the K&C says it all.

It doesn't change the fact that she was rude in the ceremony.

deneuved

On the Ice
Here's the thing about Satoko: she's possibly the most forgettable of the top ladies. Especially on Choreo. While she does display some fire in the SP, her FS is boring boring boring. I saw her program many times already, even live once, and still, if somebody asked me about it, I wouldn't be able to describe it because it's so cookie cutter. Pleasant, but that's about it, there's nothing that would stay in my head.

At least Gracie, who's the most unmusical of the girls and really emotionless in her skating at least has interesting choreo.

Exactly this. I am certainly no expert when it comes to technical details, but Satoko, Gracie (and Elena) leave me completely stone cold. They may have the jumps and the spins but they don't touch me at all. It's the exact opposite with Evgenia and especially Ashley - I mean, the latter doesn't have the technical abilities of the other top ladies but boy, can she perform!

MaxSwagg

Match Penalty
Gracie has absolutely no performance ability. She skates with the same look on her face program to program, throughout the programs. Her jumps are certainly nothing to rave about. They used to he bit not anymore. Her SP score was grossly overscored.

I see Medvedeva didn't even get an unclear edge warning on her Lutzes. One was directly inline with my line of vision and it was CLEARLY an e.

Rissa

Record Breaker
Completely agree his pep talk before that skate was not very inspiring and it made me nervous for Gracie. I'm not a coach, but I really think Gracie needs someone to tell her to kick some *** out there instead of to focus on every element which leads her to skate cautiously. :(

Hit her hard on the back, "don't you dare to f**** up" like Tsareva did with Pogo? :laugh:

Last edited:

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
For all of you who are interested, someone made heat maps of all the skaters tonight on his twitter! You can see them here

Gracie has got fantastic ice coverage compared to some of the other ladies

This is so interesting... it illustrate coverage and speed really well and shows how imbalanced and with little coverage behind Medvedev's program,with regards to elements and how much resting points in between. Where as Mao, Zijun, Grace, and even Anna has much bigger coverage, spacing out of the elements. Miyahara's choreography is fairly balanced, even if her coverage is small, but it is expected. Amy Lin looks surprisingly decent too despite really bad falls. I consider her senior debut season a success... if you want to fall, do it like Anna do, at least, you made an impression.

Actually I have just caught up with the ladies... I intially thought Zijun, Mirai did some mini disaster based on the score sheet but having looked through the performance thought they did great! Better than expected. Mirai seems to have been on the receiver end of some fairly strictlytech calls,all UR coming to light. Zijun did a season best for sure, even if her PCS is depressing. But not as much Soyoun, what the heck.. 48??!!!

I felt Mao was unfairly held down for Satoko, and maybe to the old standard of PCS records where Yuna and Carolina was still competing. Bear in mind the golden standard of PCS from Vancouver Yuna only received 71PCS+, where as today, Evgenia received 72.34 and Ashley 73.78.

Anna's PCS suffered having Evegenia blew the roof off with 150+, the judges mentally check to leave room for an American and possibly a Japanese as they fulfilled the quotas for Russian podium. Where as Evegenia's order the judges want to ensure at least 1 Russia is on the podium and to compensate from previous outing (when they try to do that, they always over do it, like at Sochi). If Anna had skated earlier than Evegenia, her PCS would have been higher, same applies for Elena. Ashley benefitted from the Gracie messing up and there should be an American on the podium. She deserve her placement, the score is understandable with how the judges marked the whole event, even she had 2 ur, and a !. They were much strict with the calls today than during the SP.

I am frustrated with Elena, she is hampered by poor packaging but that has nothing to do with her talent and ability. Switch their package around with Evegenia, Elena would have done much better. This is when you wonder if this is a sport or a pagent.

PCS for the final flight was as expected out of this world. I feel sorry for anyone skate before it. But hey... ISU has been trying to break the WR for a whole through padding and making all these tweaks on rule changes (easier to get higher GOEs, encourage higher GOEs and PCS, add tanos, add second halfs, increase the toe values overall particularly in the 2nd half.) It is bound to happen. This shows how important a Tech panel can influence the outcome as well. It will be interesting to see how the reshuffle next year among the Russian youngsters, and how easy and strict different tech judging are going to be like between different events around the world. They will also need to revise the tech rule or something for pre-rotation... it is getting to a point of silly. Other wise the next generation of skaters are focus on how to pre-rotate more than rotate.

If I was to be honest, nobody deserve 71+ tonight, except may be Mao and Ashley.

Last edited:

Art&Sport

Medalist
OMG that PCS oh my god I'm SO MAD right now why does a program with a fall and a pop beat...

Yeah, uh, why don't you ask the judges that same question about Hanyu, Chan, and Boyang's messy skates in the men's fp?

Meanwhile, I was watching the ladies press conference, and I wondered why Anna ran over to Ashley afterward and kept hugging up on Ashley. Then when I saw the ladies awards ceremony I realized why. Anna Pogo was trying to make up for over-celebrating with Evgenia and forgetting (intentionally?) to even acknowledge Ashley on the podium, much less shake her hand or give her hug. And little girl Evgenia showed her youth too raising her arms like she's Rocky or something stealing in to Ash's announcement as silver medalist.

The other funny thing was that when Anna finally made it to the press conference, the cameraman kept the camera glued on Anna in close-up for an inordinately long time, even when Evgenia was speaking. I guess cameraman couldn't get enough of Anna's pouty visage/ blond model looks?

slider11

Medalist
Dear Gracie. You have the goods;now you just need to learn to deliver. You did that at the US Nationals. Do your grieving and be done with it. Go sit on a beach and eat ice cream. Maybe Frank is the right coach for you;maybe you need someone more nurturing and more involved who will get to the root of this problem. Then get back to work and find programs that make you want to come to the rink every day. And work your tail off. You will on the top of the podium. I'd only be disappointed if you gave up.

miki88

Medalist
Compare the speed and ice coverage of these three skaters:

Mao Asada (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUigFS76uVc)
Ashley Wagner (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlu_6dxUr-I)
Evgenia Medvedeva FS (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKnJx7h7G4E)

Note Mao's far, far superior ice coverage which includes entry speed into jumps and her flowout out of jumps is superior.

Mao's not slow. She only looks slow because she moves so effortlessly across the ice. If you know anything about figure skating, you would be ashamed to say that Mao is slow, because that means you're ignorant about figure skating.

Thanks for posting these videos. I'm surprised by how less impressive Ashley's skate appears from this viewpoint. It also confirms what I've felt for a while, Evgenia's skating quality is not worse than Ashley's. Their ice coverage is just about comparable, both slow down at certain parts, and Ashley poses quite often in her program. Evgenia appears more graceful, spins are better, steps have more speed and coverage. I'm sure Ashley was far more expressive if one sits closer but from this view, I give the edge to Evgenia.

As for Mao, it wasn't her best and a little power was missing, but she covered a lot of ice and speed was okay, not drastically different from the other two. Her movements appeared very graceful and to the music.

Last edited:

gravy

¿No ven quién soy yo?
Record Breaker
Hit her hard on the back, "don't you dare to f**** up" like Tsareva did with Pogo? :laugh:

Tsareva is queen. She nor Pogo even smiled after her SP.

It's like they knew they would be sent off to the gulags if she had a wipeout again. :)

hurrah

Medalist
Really? Evgenia Medvedeva's ice coverage is, IMO, very bad and she has no speed whatsoever. She's one of those skaters who is not going to outwit puberty, skating as she does. A second Julia.

If you look at those videos and also look at the tracings that were put up, the only skater who had more ice coverage than Mao was Anna Pogo, amongst the top ladies. But then, with her, she needs alot of speed to do her jumps so it's no wonder.

Last edited:

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
To those who said Gracie should be mad at herself, I just saw this brief interview where she seems like she is just about done.

Even the reporter is like, "Damn gurrrll..."

good girl...she know she need to do. just do better next time. She didnt do that badly, others were just better on the day. no need to ber ashamed or embarrassed. just be stronger next time.

skaters has no control.. no control over judging.. surely it is the judges who should be embarassed with some of these marks?

Last edited:

whatif

Medalist
I think next season will be the moment of truth for Russian women and an opportunity to prove "the puberty police" on this board wrong. There is no an age eligible junior competitive enough to challenge the current crop, so the Russian Worlds team will most likely be three of the current crop of seniors. Let's see if they can dominate the same way next year and prove the naysayers wrong.

miki88

Medalist
Really? Evgenia Medvedeva's ice coverage is, IMO, very bad and she has no speed whatsoever. .

I was saying in comparison to Ashley. Well from those videos, their speed and ice coverage are comparable, neither is impressive.

hurrah

Medalist
I think next season will be the moment of truth for Russian women and an opportunity to prove "the puberty police" on this board wrong. There is no an age eligible junior competitive enough to challenge the current crop, so the Russian Worlds team will most likely be three of the current crop of seniors. Let's see if they can dominate the same way next year and prove the naysayers wrong.

Just looking at the ice coverage, you get a reliable sense of their speed, and it seems like the only one with the goods is Anna. Evgenia, especially, is jumping from a crawl and it's only due to her body shape that she can muscle through them so prettily. That kind of technique, we know, simply doesn't outwit puberty. We've seen it enough times.