2016 World Championships Ladies SP | Page 116 | Golden Skate

2016 World Championships Ladies SP

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
I'm wondering how the US managed to pull off all this alleged "corruption" and favoritism, as there was no American on the tech panel and no American on the judges panel. I think the tech referee was American, but if I understand correctly, the referee doesn't make the tech calls, the rest of the tech panel does. The data operator was American, but I'm pretty sure if anyone was messing with the data input, that would be discovered very quickly.

Here's a refresher on the panels in case anyone is interested.

Ladies Tech Panel

Ref - Tanger - USA
TC - Barbacci Levy - SWI
TS - Uimonen - FIN
ATS - Martynov - UKR

Ladies SP Judging Panel
1. Prokop - SVK
2. Na Young Ahn - KOR
3. Szilagyi - HUN
4. Baudysova -CZE
5. Van Gerwen-Maas - NED
6. Senft - CAN
7. Binz-oser - SWI
8. Pizzocari - ITA
9. Kurri - FIN

Well maybe you don't know how corruption works, but it doesn't require necessarily an American judge since everyone is corruptible.

ssffww

On the Ice
So now not a pro Russian technical panel (for first time in how long?) and you're already whining.

RABID

Final Flight
I must be a minority, but I agree with the top 6 placements :laugh2:
You can argue scoring but this is hardly a scandal like what Sochi was. I don't think Gracie is the class of the field but she did do her job when so often she couldn't and she is considered a top tier skater so it wasn't like when Sot came from behind the pack and beat a clean Yuna. Anyway if Gracie or Ashley does win this competition I will be the first to salute them and say well done and I didn't think you had it in you...... IF. However my real beef is with the scoring of the ladies in the earlier groups and especially Mae Berenice Meite not making the cut. Sometimes the judging there just seems so arbitrary and these ladies deserve better treatment.

narcissa

Record Breaker
I'm not at all surprised at Gracie being first. She skated clean at TEB and scored 73.32. Judges have been 'inflating' Gracie's PCS even before this event and for mistake-ridden programs, and the extra points are due to this being a bigger stage, Boston, and her second time skating clean. This happens to like, everyone.

A successful Gracie is very marketable for the sport, much moreso than any of the young Russians. The ISU has been dying to reward Gracie for years, they just haven't had the chance to since she's never been clean.

Is that fair? No. But it's not a conspiracy, no.

narcissa

Record Breaker
You can argue scoring but this is hardly a scandal like what Sochi was. I don't think Gracie is the class of the field but she did do her job when so often she couldn't and she is considered a top tier skater so it wasn't like when Sot came from behind the pack and beat a clean Yuna. Anyway if Gracie or Ashley does win this competition I will be the first to salute them and say well done and I didn't think you had it in you...... IF. However my real beef is with the scoring of the ladies in the earlier groups and especially Mae Berenice Meite not making the cut. Sometimes the judging there just seems so arbitrary and these ladies deserve better treatment.

Yeah, scoring for earlier groups does seem arbitrary. It really sucks. Also, judges have never been kind to black skaters in the history of this sport :hopelessness:

mirai4life

1Lo <
Record Breaker
Am i the only one who thinks that Zijun Li' TES is inflated? The second 3T looks under to me, and even 3F and 2A landings aren't that clean.

I would give to her 63-65 anyway because she deserved 5-6 points more on the components.

yes, i was surprised,

yyyskate

Record Breaker
^^Gosh, Zijun's coach is clapping loudly for her EVERY tech elements! especially that opening -3T. and there are more than one eye-witness who sit where exactly she jumped her combo and kept a very close eye to her landings in the rink to confirm that her -3T is absolutely clean.

Last edited:

humbaba

Final Flight
Well maybe you don't know how corruption works, but it doesn't require necessarily an American judge since everyone is corruptible.

Well, according to Tat all it takes is a bottle of wine. If I were a judge, I'd hold out for a bottle of wine, a nice dinner, and a coupon for "the works" at a ritzy Day Spa. :p

Personally, I am suspicious of the Swiss judge. I have my eye on the Hungarian, too. :yes:

emzdeluxe

On the Ice
How I wish there's a rule in figure skating in which a skater is allowed to pass a petition to the judges to challenge her TES if she's not satisfied with her scores..just like in gymnastics if a gymnast thinks that her score is low she's allowed to pass a petition to the judges challenging her difficulty score..a gymnast can only challenge the difficulty score though not the execution score..It should be like this in figure skating, a skater should be allowed to challenge her TES but not the PCS..In this way people would less likely complain about scores..

Caustica

Final Flight
Hey, does anyone have a link to the press conference of the Ladies SP? I can't find it on IceNetwork or anywhere else :(

rollerblade

Record Breaker
How I wish there's a rule in figure skating in which a skater is allowed to pass a petition to the judges to challenge her TES if she's not satisfied with her scores..just like in gymnastics if a gymnast thinks that her score is low she's allowed to pass a petition to the judges challenging her difficulty score..a gymnast can only challenge the difficulty score though not the execution score..It should be like this in figure skating, a skater should be allowed to challenge her TES but not the PCS..In this way people would less likely complain about scores..

Imagine the delays if everyone petitioned....

DexterK

On the Ice
If Mao were to skate clean, no under rotations or edge calls, could she medal? I know other skaters' performances greatly factor into this scenario, but if she skates lights out? Was she buried deeper in Sochi after the SP?

ramurphy2005

Unabashed Mainer
On the Ice
Country
United-States
If Mao were to skate clean, no under rotations or edge calls, could she medal? I know other skaters' performances greatly factor into this scenario, but if she skates lights out? Was she buried deeper in Sochi after the SP?

She was in 16th after the SP in Sochi.

Alchamei

Record Breaker
I'm disgusted with people. Gracie's SP on Youtube has only 109 likes and 129 dislikes. And according to the comments, we have another Sochi skandal! Her coach bribed the judges! She sucks, the rest is much better!

I really used to dislike Gracie, but I got really excited after her SP. Almost no one else caused this level of excitement. Nobody expected her to go clean. She fought. The landing of the Lutz wasn't perfect but she added the combo. And did you see her smile after that? She tends to be robotic but not in this particular perfomance.

Some people are screaming she shouldn't have led. I highly disagree, she has great SS (despite bad posture at times), TR were intricate, CH was difficult and she loves this program. She performed and even though she didn't emote for the whole skate, she emoted much better than I have ever seen. I would have given her a little bit lower PCS, but not by much.

Actually, I had her at 74,5-75 points so I think she was overscored a bit but I think she fully deserved the score. I actually want ber to win this. I can't believe I'm saying it, but she won my heart. And mainly, the competition is not even finished so even if someone would have her lower, can people freaking wait before starting to make threads to Gracie and make notes about Sochi skandal?

emzdeluxe

On the Ice
Imagine the delays if everyone petitioned....

Of course you cannot allow every skater to petition those who skates clean only with their program and who thinks they were robbed of a good score should be given the chance to petition..just like in gymnastics a gymnast cannot challenge their difficulty score if they have a fall in a certain apparatus..

I think that coaches and national federations can protest what they perceive as unfair judging, can't they? At the 2002 Olympics Irina Slutskaya's camp petitioned the ISU and the IOC over Irina's loss to Sarah Hughes, alleging biased judges. They demanded a second gold metal, like they did in pairs, threatening briefly to pull the entire Russian team out of the Olympics in protest.