2017-18 CAN National team | Golden Skate

2017-18 CAN National team

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
OTTAWA, ON: Skate Canada is pleased to announce the 2017-2018 National Team. The team is comprised of 32 senior members, which includes five men, five women, five ice dance teams and six pair teams.

To be named to the National Team a skater must finish in the top five in senior singles, pair and ice dance disciplines at the Canadian Tire National Skating Championships, or be added at the discretion of Skate Canada. These skaters may be considered to represent Canada at international competitions. Their appointment to the national team is effective from June 1, 2017 through to April 30, 2018.

Skate Canada also announced the three teams that will make up the Skate Canada Synchronized Skating National Team.

MEN
Patrick Chan, 26, Toronto, Ont.
Kevin Reynolds, 26, Coquitlam, B.C.
Nam Nguyen, 19, Toronto, Ont.
Nicolas Nadeau, 19, Boisbriand, Que.
Keegan Messing, 25, Girdwood, Alaska, USA

WOMEN
Kaetlyn Osmond, 21, Marystown, Nfld. & Sherwood Park, Alta.
Gabrielle Daleman, 19, Newmarket, Ont.
Alaine Chartrand, 21, Prescott, Ont.
Larkyn Austman, 19, Coquitlam, B.C.
Sarah Tamura, 16, Burnaby, B.C.

PAIR
Meagan Duhamel, 31, Lively, Ont. & Eric Radford, 32, Balmertown, Ont.
Lubov Ilyushechkina, 25, Toronto, Ont. & Dylan Moscovitch, 32, Toronto, Ont.
Kirsten Moore-Towers, 24, St. Catharines, Ont. & Michael Marinaro, 25, Sarnia, Ont.
Brittany Jones, 21, Toronto, Ont., & Joshua Reagan, 27, Toronto, Ont.
Camille Ruest, 23, Rimouski, Que., & Andrew Wolfe, 22, Calgary, Alta.
Julianne Séguin, 20, Longueuil, Que. & Charlie Bilodeau, 23, Trois-Pistoles, Que.

ICE DANCE
Tessa Virtue, 28, London, Ont. & Scott Moir, 29, Ilderton, Ont.
Kaitlyn Weaver, 28, Waterloo, Ont. & Andrew Poje, 30, Waterloo, Ont.
Piper Gilles, 25, Toronto, Ont. & Paul Poirier, 25, Unionville, Ont.
Carolane Soucisse, 22, Châteauguay, Que., & Shane Firus, 23, North Vancouver, B.C.
Haley Sales, 20, Burnaby, B.C., and Nikolas Wamsteeker, 20, Langley, B.C.

SYNCHRONIZED SKATING
NEXXICE, of the Burlington Skating Centre
Les Suprêmes, of CPA Saint-Léonard
Nova, of CPA Brossard & CPA St-Hubert

Last edited:

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I can't believe there are five errors on Nadeau's bio page. :disapp:

"He picked up his first senior international medal in 2016 at the Bavarian Open." Um, no he had competed as a junior at the 2017 Bavarian Open.

Under Skating Career, 2016 Bavarian Open – 1 should be 2017 Bavarian Open – 1, and 2015 ISU World Junior Figure Skating Championships – 24 should be 2015 ISU World Junior Figure Skating Championships – 25

For Personal Details, he's now 6'1" instead of 5'11" (he's listed as 185 cm on his Patinage Quebec bio http://www.patinage.qc.ca/UploadsNe...17/2016-2017_NadeauN_SeniorMess-CANADIENS.pdf ).

bigfan

Spectator
Because he was 7th at last year's nationals. I believe the team consists of the top 5 from the previous year's nationals.

That's a shame. One bad competition after he was so selfless the previous year giving up his worlds spot to Nam who fell flat on his face

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
That's a shame. One bad competition after he was so selfless the previous year giving up his worlds spot to Nam who fell flat on his face

I don't think it was really just one bad competition. In the past, the Canadian judges have appreciated Liam a lot more than the international judges have. This year's result/marks was much more in line with his international results/marks.

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I can't believe there are five errors on Nadeau's bio page. :disapp:

I had e-mailed Skate Canada's media department about these mistakes, and someone named Emma has confirmed that they have been corrected, so it's all good now. :)

Because he was 7th at last year's nationals. I believe the team consists of the top 5 from the previous year's nationals.

Yes, it's usually the Top 5 from the preceding Nationals, although an exception has been made in Pairs this season with Séguin & Bilodeau, who are included as the 6th team.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique

Liam was selfless but in reality, he had one good outing in the last couple years, at Nationals in 2016. His international results, and he was assigned to several events, have been poor so there was no possible way, with a 7th place, that Skate Canada could justify putting him on the team. All the guys in the top five have landed quads and triple axels when it counted, something Liam still cannot do. The real sadness for me is for Elladj who had had a great SP but collapsed in the LP.

Re the pairs, I think it's a great idea to give 6 teams funding/spots. Seguin Bilodeau were not at Nationals but have proven their value many times, and the team(R/W) that would have been bumped in this case is extremely promising and fought hard with J/R for that last spot. I think Skate Canada really made a good decision keeping six teams in the National team, especially since for sure, one team is retiring.

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I don't think it was really just one bad competition. In the past, the Canadian judges have appreciated Liam a lot more than the international judges have. This year's result/marks was much more in line with his international results/marks.

Plus didn't Liam have a "wardrobe malfunction" at nationals 2017? I'm drawing a blank on what happened, or if that even happened in the first place, off to YouTube I go...

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Ah yes, of course! :laugh2: But to be fair, I thought the particular suspenders we were talking about belonged to Chiddy.

TGee

Record Breaker
Re the pairs, I think it's a great idea to give 6 teams funding/spots. Seguin Bilodeau were not at Nationals but have proven their value many times, and the team(R/W) that would have been bumped in this case is extremely promising and fought hard with J/R for that last spot. I think Skate Canada really made a good decision keeping six teams in the National team, especially since for sure, one team is retiring.

Totally agree. Pairs depth is an issue....lots of berths at Nationals for both Juniors and Seniors went empty.....

So, it's great to see Skate Canada keeping both Jones/Reagan and Ruest/Wolfe getting the funding and other supports that come with national team status. Especially as both teams showed well at an out-of-Canada Grand Prix event last season.

Now if only I could be more sanguine about the depth of field in Dance....

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Totally agree. Pairs depth is an issue....lots of berths at Nationals for both Juniors and Seniors went empty.....

So, it's great to see Skate Canada keeping both Jones/Reagan and Ruest/Wolfe getting the funding and other supports that come with national team status. Especially as both teams showed well at an out-of-Canada Grand Prix event last season.

lajoie lagha... + piper and paul continuing.

+++ hopes for W/P to go one or two more seasons (worlds in canada in 2020)

lyndichee

Medalist
lajoie lagha... + piper and paul continuing.

+++ hopes for W/P to go one or two more seasons (worlds in canada in 2020)

Someone at my work who is close to a lot of coaches and skaters says that G/P plan to go to 2022 Olympics.

I always thought it was a real shame that they missed out on 2014.

sarama

Medalist

I so agree with you.. I still don't get why Orford/Hill didn't continue for a little longer. Next season they would have had so many opportunities: I would immagine Skate Canada, definitely 4CC and likely Worlds (I just can't see both V/M and WeaPo going). They were so good after only a few months:drama:
I understand a lot more Paul/Islam and Paradis/Ouellette who had probably maxed out what they could get out of this sport

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Someone at my work who is close to a lot of coaches and skaters says that G/P plan to go to 2022 Olympics.

Yessssss. They are a bit younger than W/P and V/M, not that age matters in the scheme of things, but I do hope G/P carry on until 2022. I've been saying this for a few years now

And oh, maybe win home-country worlds in 2020? ;) I can definitely see a world medal in their future.

xox

On the Ice

he was skating on a severly sprained ankle. Was carried off the ice ten days before nationals. gutsy dude

sammyott

Rinkside

An inside source tells me that they're still really on the fence about it. They will both be 30 if they continue to the next Olympics and they aren't making any decisions right now.