2017-18 State of U.S. Ladies Skating | Page 112 | Golden Skate

2017-18 State of U.S. Ladies Skating

frida80

Record Breaker
Who is she? Quick research shows 11th in Novice ladies in KC. That gets you in International Selection Pool? I must be missing something.

No that doesn’t get you into the international selection pool. There are multiple periods where you can actually join the ISP. The first is at nationals. The next is during the summer during the monitor competitions. Then there’s US Junior novice challenger series where qualify juniors and novices compete against each other. The highest placement there get placed on the ISP. Last year Starr Andrews got placed on the ISP after she won that competition.

Now the question is is Lily going to be given a fall assignment?

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I'm sooo glad Karen has moved on from Carmen. When I heard she was skating to that at the beginning of the season I predicted she'd skate in a red flounced dress with a flower in her hair and dark red lipstick. Check! :agree: Hackneyed, overdone, lazy on the part of the coach and choreographer. Do something different. Make it interesting. Match the music to the skater instead of saddling her with something that's been done to death! Karen has a wonderful talent but has usually been held down by ridiculous music choices - remember when she skated to The Godfather when she was only 13 or 14? I thought it was totally inappropriate for a young sprite of a girl to skate to music that heavy and dark. Tammy Gambrill (spelling?) takes the easy way out - Vincent skating to Casablanca in a Kurt Browning look alike costume. How about a little originality.

It's Tammy Gambill and she doesn't take the easy way out. :rolleye:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I'm sooo glad Karen has moved on from Carmen. When I heard she was skating to that at the beginning of the season I predicted she'd skate in a red flounced dress with a flower in her hair and dark red lipstick. Check! :agree: ...

Huh?
Karen skated to Carmen in a black dress (with red accents).
No flower in her hair (unless my eyes deceive me).

You have said many times in the past that you dislike Carmen in general.
And if you didn't like Karen's program in particular, you of course are entitled to your opinion.

But I don't understand falsely associating Karen with those costuming details. [ETA: Meaning the costuming details that noskates predicted, but that did not come true.]

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
According to wiki, Karen's Carmen was not choreographed by herself, but Mark Pillay. Anyone know who he is? But the new LP, Slow Dance in Big City will be choreographed by herself.

macy

Record Breaker
Huh?

And if you didn't like Karen's program in particular, you of course are entitled to your opinion.

But I don't understand falsely associating Karen with those costuming details.

no skates was saying they predicted Karen would wear a costume like that, not that she actually did.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
no skates was saying they predicted Karen would wear a costume like that, not that she actually did.

Except that noskates also said, "Check! :agree:" -- which comes across (in my strong opinion) as claiming "confirmation" that her prediction came true.
(Although in fact it did not come true.)

According to wiki, Karen's Carmen was not choreographed by herself, but Mark Pillay. Anyone know who he is? ...

Mark Pillay is a well-established choreographer.
Based in British Columbia. Has created programs for skaters from a number of different countries (as well as Canada).
Among those who have had successful choreo from Pillay are Richard Dornbush and Brendan Kerry (who happen to be Gambill skaters as well).

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
Interesting that when people blamed the bad music choice and choreography of Karen's Carmen, most assumed she created the program. Guess Karen can do a better job herself.

Except that noskates said, "Check! :agree:" -- which comes across (in my strong opinion) as claiming "confirmation" that her prediction came true.
(Although in fact it did not come true.)

Mark Pillay is a well-established choreographer.
Based in British Columbia. Has created programs for skaters from a number of different countries (as well as Canada).
Among those who have had successful choreo from Pillay are Richard Dornbush and Brendan Kerry (who happen to be Gambill skaters as well).

SkaterX

On the Ice
Mirai's skate today was such an emotional roller coaster! That 3A was awesome even thought it was called <. I hope she rallies in the FS tomorrow.

Seren

Wakabond Forever
Record Breaker
It's Tammy Gambill and she doesn't take the easy way out. :rolleye:

Seconded. She did a seminar for my skating club back in June and as the co-chair I picked her up from the airport and drove her to the rink in the mornings. She is very nice and very dedicated to her skaters. There is a reason she just won a major PSA award.

MarinHondas

Final Flight
Mirai's skate today was such an emotional roller coaster! That 3A was awesome even thought it was called <. I hope she rallies in the FS tomorrow.

it was a disaster:sad4: The really sad thing is all practice reports have been saying she hasn't been underrotating practically AT ALL and landed the 3a and 3-3 clean in her run-through. I was expecting a spectacular skate from her. I hope she will fight back in the long, and skate like we know she can. Mariah bell skated all right.... landed the 3-3 but it was very messy and 3t was under. I am not looking forward to her long, although still wish her the best, but man I hate that lp. Our girls were completely buried here. 7th and 9th heading in to the free....both in first group.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Things are really looking dismal for the US Ladies as the season begins. Mirai has been the strongest Lady up to now and if she and Mariah finish out of top 5 in Russia, that leaves a lot of eggs in Karen's basket. I'm hoping that Angela Wang or Courtney Hicks can deliver under pressure and keep us in contention. Still hoping Ashley is ready and prepared for her first GP event.

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
Mariah just doesn’t seem at all comfortable with the triple-triple. RAF just seems annoyed with her. 😕
Of course, we can’t count her out yet. We don’t know how the other US ladies will do this season.

Tulipstar

Medalist
Yes, I went from clapping to putting my hands on my eyes.

I hope she can skate cleanly tomorrow and remain in the conversation.

puremagic

-
Record Breaker
Was he in Russia? That's Frank Carroll isn't it? Who is he coaching?

Well, I guess... It can't be his clone! And that's not necessary he is coaching someone, maybe he just came to see the show, first GP stage in this season. :)

noskates

Record Breaker
Huh?

But I don't understand falsely associating Karen with those costuming details.

Why is this a big deal to you? And yes I'm entitled to my opinion without getting called on the carpet for it. I don't know why you would even care to make a point of it as it's such a small thing. The rest of my post also had the opinion that they always stick her with heavy and/or dramatic music and I - again my opinion - think she would be better off with something lighter. I don't feel these opinions are any different than those expressed by many about Polina's Gone With The Wind or her green velvet curtains dress last year. It's what we do here - talk about costumes and music and choreography.

IIRC - Mark Pillay is Canadian? and I think he did some choreography for Emanual Sandhu. Not sure why that sticks in my memory. Don't know who else he's worked for.