2017-18 State of U.S. Ladies Skating | Page 199 | Golden Skate

2017-18 State of U.S. Ladies Skating

princessalica

Final Flight
So looking at who is competing at golden spin, I just watched Hannah millers Long program. I really enjoyed it, course I’m a hunger games fan. Could she sneak on to the team or 4 continents? I know last year was rough, but she’d been rising in the ranks. I think what 7th at nationals in 16 and did fairly well on the jpg circuit. Course I imagine that’s why she got golden spin just on the outside chance she rises up. After all many of our ladies are not skating to fill potential st the moment

frida80

Record Breaker
I was so surprised to find out Bradie is 5'6", same height as Polina, since she appeared much shorter than that. Bradie must be supper skinny in real life, and it does not look like she starved herself or anything, which helps a lot with the survival of jumps.
Polina is 5’8’ now.

temadd

Final Flight
Could Ashley's news have something to do with Stars On Ice?
https://twitter.com/LCArena_Detroit/status/937725285105061893

ETA: Ashley, Karen, Nathan, Jason, the Shibs, and Davis/White have signed with SOI.

Official news release.
http://www.starsonice.com/news.html?n_id=506

She has been dong Stars on Ice for seveal years. She said "big changes" so it doesn't seem likely.

But, wow, I just looked at the SOI schedule and they are doing more than 20 cities (only 6 the past few years). Maybe because of the Olympic year?

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
But, wow, I just looked at the SOI schedule and they are doing more than 20 cities (only 6 the past few years). Maybe because of the Olympic year?

I'm more surprised that they have committed to including Ashley and Karen, given that neither is a sure bet for the Olympic squad.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
From all what has been demonstrated this season, I just don't feel Ashley wants to go the Olympics anymore. Instead of the previous seasons' fighter mode, she seems to be in a maintenance mode; but in the current field, if you just want to stay where you are, you go backward. Another reason might be she sensed that her chances to be on the podium again at Worlds would be slim, and she has acheived that. Her plan used to be retirement after the last Olympics, but she stayed in the filed as long as she can.

mrrice

Record Breaker
From all what has been demonstrated this season, I just don't feel Ashley wants to go the Olympics anymore. Instead of the previous seasons' fighter mode, she seems to be in a maintenance mode; but in the current field, if you just want to stay where you are, you go backward. Another reason might be she sensed that her chances to be on the podium again at Worlds would be slim, and she has acheived that. Her plan used to be retirement after the last Olympics, but she stayed in the filed as long as she can.

I don't feel like any of the ladies are a lock. Seriously, I guess Bradie has looked good but, I think she looks that way because everyone has had such a rough season. I still have no idea what's going to happen at Nationals and that's kind of sad. There is not a skater who's earned the right be "Held Up" like Ashley was for Sochi. Since none of the US ladies made the GPF, I'd say whoever brings it on the night should go, period!

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I don't feel like any of the ladies are a lock. Seriously, I guess Bradie has looked good but, I think she looks that was because everyone has had such a rough season. I still have no idea what going to happen at Nationals and that's kind of sad. There is not a skater who earned the right be "Held Up" like Ashley was for Sochi. Whoever brings it on the night should go, period!

Yes, I agree. It's a sad state of affairs.

Mrs P, who backs up her opinions with data, pointed out that while Bradie was a revelation at Skate America, and by far is the best scoring American lady this season, she is still only 12th on the season's best list. Think about it - as good as it was by American standards, it was still only good enough for bronze at a GP event.

I still say that it's entirely possible, maybe statistically likely, that no American woman will even make the final group of the Olympic FS.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Yes, I agree. It's a sad state of affairs.

Mrs P, who backs up her opinions with data, pointed out that while Bradie was a revelation at Skate America, and by far is the best scoring American lady this season, she is still only 12th on the season's best list. Think about it - as good as it was by American standards, it was still only good enough for bronze at a GP event.

I still say that it's entirely possible, maybe statistically likely, that no American woman will even make the final group of the Olympic FS.

I think that's a given based on the GPF alone. The US ladies aren't even on the alternate list for the GPF and they should thrilled to finish in the top 10 in Korea. Think about it, Med isn't going to the GPF and we still didn't have a skater make it. That means our top lady is ranked outside to top 7 and that's a generous ranking.

MarinHondas

Final Flight
Just throwing it out there that Mirai is currently ranked 6th in ISU world standings and she is the highest ranked US lady. ( She was 10th before this season started).

MarinHondas

Final Flight
I think that's a given based on the GPF alone. The US ladies aren't even on the alternate list for the GPF and they should thrilled to finish in the top 10 in Korea. Think about it, Med isn't going to the GPF and we still didn't have a skater make it. That means our top lady is ranked outside to top 7 and that's a generous ranking.

I agree but I also remember before worlds last year that people were saying Karen would be lucky to get top 10. Look what happened, she got fourth! I am not saying your wrong, it is a serious possibility that no lady will rank higher than 8th, 9th or 10th but you never know also.

Seren

Wakabond Forever
Record Breaker
I will say this about Mirai, she wants it and she works hard. You can really tell she wants it.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
A really unfortunate fact: This is arguably the worst U.S. Ladies placement in the Grand Prix series since the Champion Series (now GPF) Final was established in 1996.

This is the first season ever that no U.S. lady was neither among the finalists nor alternates. Yikes.

Last edited:

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
A really unfortunate fact: This is arguably the worst U.S. Ladies placement in the Grand Prix series since the Champion Series (now GPF) Final was established in 1996.

This is the first season ever that no U.S. lady was neither among the finalists nor alternates. Yikes.

The bar was high this year. You needed over 200 to medal at every event except Canada (where Ashley medaled). The one woman who scored over 200 did medal at Skate America, but that score would not have medaled at any GP event outside North America. To put that all in perspective, Karen score 199.29 to finish 4th at Worlds. The women from Russia and Japan came ready to compete for Olympic spots this GP season, and the Americans did not.

mrrice

Record Breaker
The bar was high this year. You needed over 200 to medal at every event except Canada (where Ashley medaled). The one woman who scored over 200 did medal at Skate America, but that score would not have medaled at any GP event outside North America. To put that all in perspective, Karen score 199.29 to finish 4th at Worlds. The women from Russia and Japan came ready to compete for Olympic spots this GP season, and the Americans did not.

I think the US Ladies are/were planning to peak for Nationals and with exception of Bradie, didn't have a lot of fire during competition this fall. I do expect big improvements at Nationals and I hope the ladies who make the team skate their hearts out. Any Lady with less than 6 clean triples, should stay home as they will have no chance in Korea. Bradie's delightful 7 triple performance at Skate America only garnered her a Bronze and that was arguably the best FP by any US lady this season.

andromache

Record Breaker
I think the US Ladies are/were planning to peak for Nationals and with exception of Bradie, didn't have a lot of fire during competition this fall. I do expect big improvements at Nationals and I hope the ladies who make the team skate their hearts out. Any Lady with less than 6 clean triples, should stay home as they will have no chance in Korea. Bradie's delightful 7 triple performance at Skate America only got garnered her a Bronze and that was arguably the best FP by any US lady this season.

Bradie might the only US lady who is capable of this.

Thanks largely to Karen Chen pulling out two decent performances at Worlds last year, the US has three spots that, for better or worse, could probably instead belong to stronger skaters from other countries. But the rules are what they are, and our spots were undeniably earned.

And we kind of just have to resign ourselves to the fact that we will be sending women who are not up to the competitive standard the US ladies have set in the past. Meanwhile, USFS has to figure out how to make sure that this doesn't happen again.

princessalica

Final Flight
It’s a weird time for us ladies. Gracie has the skills but lost herself after worlds in 2016, and without her closest competitor, and with other factors, ashley lost her fire, I can’t say for sure that it was linked to the breakdown of gracie, but it’s also easy to make a link. Karen can skate beautifully, but she’s so inconsistent. Mariah is good, but hasn’t found great. Polina could shock everyone at nationals, but that’s just a dream. Mirai is also good but her programs have a tendency to lack performance and are plagued with ur. Then there is Bradie who is making a name for herself, but she’s not been tested enough to know how she will do under the pressure of the olympics. And Courtney And then there are the ones that could spoil for placement - Caroline, Angela,

And then there are the up and comers who don’t seem ready yet- STARR, Amber, Tessa, Emmy

And even younger that can’t factor into seniors yet - Hanna, alysa, kaitlyn.