2017-18 State of U.S. Ladies Skating | Page 211 | Golden Skate

2017-18 State of U.S. Ladies Skating

Moxiejan

Medalist
Country
United-States
I don't disagree with the Olympic team selection in 2014, but Mirai had a bronze from the 2013 Rostelecom Cup, so I don't think you can say that she did poorly at both grand prix events that season. Not a high score, but scores weren't as inflated back then either. I agree that Polina making the junior grand prix final probably counted a lot towards her rep.

In 2013, a skater could do 3 GPs. In Mirai's other two eventa, she placed 8th & 10th. Yes, I should have said "two of three" instead of "both."

andromache

Record Breaker
I don't know if Edmunds got sponsorship for Sochi. I suspect, since major sponsorships were announced in the fall of 2013 and Edmunds was a surprise addition to the team, that available money had already been committed to Wagner and Gold by the time of Nationals. I doubt there are age restrictions on sponsorships, other than the requirement that parents sign contracts.

I've already posted a link to this, but here it is again:

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/...ules-Govern-Business-With-Young-Athletes.aspx

There are legal complications that can arise from signing minors. On top of that, USFS might have their own restrictions and processes, and companies might not think it's worth the hassle for someone who isn't going to be winning a medal. I also think it's just plain tricky using an underage teenage athlete in marketing campaigns. The only teen girls selling stuff are pop star or child actresses. Adult women can be glamorous and sexy. Do I want a teenager marketing makeup to me? Not really. Of course, they can be used in ads for pretty universal products, like Pepsi, but you're not getting those types of endorsements unless you are a real medal hope.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... Re: endorsements - did Polina get endorsements after she made the team in 2014? (I genuinely don't know - a cursory google search tells me nothing.) ...

ETA: (If Polina did receive any major deals, I would expect that they were shared with Ashley and Gracie - more of a "here's our 3 Olympic ladies!" thing than an individual Polina thing. ...

Before Sochi, Polina Edmunds was sponsored by Intel.

An individual Polina thing, AFAIK.
(Perhaps[??] advantageous to Polina to have northern California in common with Intel.)

... Let's not forget that in 2010 ... Mirai had not individually accomplished anything on her own just yet. ..

Winning the 2008 senior U.S. title does not count as an individual accomplishment???

Yikes :dev2:. Disagree.

I don't disagree with the Olympic team selection in 2014, but Mirai had a bronze from the 2013 Rostelecom Cup, so I don't think you can say that she did poorly at both grand prix events that season. ....

In 2013, a skater could do 3 GPs. In Mirai's other two eventa, she placed 8th & 10th. Yes, I should have said "two of three" instead of "both."

Mirai had two GPs in 2013.
She placed 8th at NHK, then 3rd at Rostelecom.

And before the GPs, 4th at Finlandia .

andromache

Record Breaker
Winning the 2008 senior U.S. title does not count as an individual accomplishment???

The year after which she came in 5th at Nationals, had a lackluster GP season, and was by no means a lock for a two-person Olympic team in 2010. Mirai in 2010 and Ashley/Gracie in 2014 were at totally different points in their career, and it's unfair to say that Ashley/Gracie somehow received special treatment over Mirai re: sponsorships. The two situations aren't really comparable.

Rachael Flatt, like Mirai, had all of one sponsor, AT&T. And that was after multiple national silvers, winning Nationals in 2010, and placing top 5 at the previous Worlds. US ladies skating was in what could be described as obvious decline in comparison to 2006, and general audiences/sponsors had little interest in US ladies who weren't in the gold medal conversation.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
The year after which she came in 5th at Nationals, had a lackluster GP season, and was by no means a lock for a two-person Olympic team in 2010. Mirai in 2010 and Ashley/Gracie in 2014 were at totally different points in their career, and it's unfair to say that Ashley/Gracie somehow received special treatment over Mirai re: sponsorships. The two situations aren't really comparable. ...

I stand by my complaint re your dismissiveness of Mirai's national title as not an individual accomplishment.

My complaint was nothing more and nothing less.

I was not comparing any sponsorship situations.

Sasha'sSpins

Medalist
Country
United-States
I thought I was the only one who would have sent Mirai instead of Polina. I still think Ashley earned it in 2014 fair and square.

I still would have sent Mirai over Polina, who never once had to face the top Senior ladies prior to the Games. Juniors is a whole other animal imo, just not the same pressure and not sure but isn't there a time limit for junior programs? Apart from the 3A in the SP I think they are allowed the same jumps as Seniors. In any event, Edmunds was way overmarked in PCS and I believe the team was already predetermined. Mirai never stood a chance. But the past is gone and I hope that now Mirai WILL get the spot she was denied in 2014.

andromache

Record Breaker
I still would have sent Mirai over Polina, who never once had to face the top Senior ladies prior to the Games. Juniors is a whole other animal imo, just not the same pressure and not sure but isn't there a time limit for junior programs? Apart from the 3A in the SP I think they are allowed the same jumps as Seniors. In any event, Edmunds was way overmarked in PCS and I believe the team was already predetermined. Mirai never stood a chance. But the past is gone and I hope that now Mirai WILL get the spot she was denied in 2014.

With rounding...

Mirai's NHK SP (one fall) PCS: 27
Mirai's Nationals SP (clean) PCS: 28
No real inflation - difference in PCS easily attributed to quality of performance.

Ashley's GPF SP (clean) PCS: 32
Ashley's Nationals SP (doubled -3T) PCS: 32
No real inflation, but no PCS penalty for mistake.

Polina's JGPF SP (with 2 falls) PCS: 24
Polina's Nationals SP (skated perfectly) PCS: 29
Nationals inflation of 5 points. OR she received more PCS for skating as a senior lady (juniors' scores are obviously held down until they skate as seniors + the obvious difference in quality due to skating without mistakes.

Polina was potentially overscored, slightly, depending on how you look at it. I'm inclined not to believe conspiracy theories. Mirai, and just about every other skater, controls her own destiny.

I stand by my complaint re your dismissiveness of Mirai's national title as not an individual accomplishment.

My complaint was nothing more and nothing less.

I was not comparing any sponsorship situations.

Honestly, I think faster than I type sometimes and my wording is not as precise as it should be. Might have meant to type "internationally" instead. :confused2:

macy

Record Breaker
I remember 2010 nationals when Mirai made the team. She got no cover girl endorsements, no Hilton endorsements, initially she got nothing. It was announced in pre Olympic coverage that her parents couldn't go to Vancouver, too expensive, when a Japanese company at the last minute contributed enough so her parents could attend. She got none of the lucrative endorsements that Gold and Wagner got at Sochi and after.

wow, I had no idea. that really is very sad! did rachael flatt get any big endorsements since she was the other lady in 2010?

andromache

Record Breaker
wow, I had no idea. that really is very sad! did rachael flatt get any big endorsements since she was the other lady in 2010?

AT&T. That was the only endorsement - pretty comparable to Mirai's Panasonic deal, I would assume. Mirai had some youtube ads, and Rachael got some mentions on AT&T's Team USA promotional material and she plugs them in a few places. Neither seems especially lucrative (i.e., not finding any print or tv ads). But I'm just googling all this stuff and am probably missing something. Ashley and Gracie were evidently very lucky in comparison. (Per this link AT&T also sponsored Evan, Caroline Zhang, and Michelle Kwan.)

lappo

Final Flight
Before Sochi, Polina Edmunds was sponsored by Intel.

An individual Polina thing, AFAIK.
(Perhaps[??] advantageous to Polina to have northern California in common with Intel.)

Mirai had two GPs in 2013.
She placed 8th at NHK, then 3rd at Rostelecom.

And before the GPs, 4th at Finlandia .

Don't know if this also helped Polina get the endorsement, but her father has an high profile job in this business: https://www.inphi.com/media-center/...ives-intelr-validation-for-its-ddr3-register/

schizoanalyst

Medalist
Are there protocols anywhere? Can't find them on the event page....

http://sharp-jackson-2e11d8.bitballoon.com/

The page has not been entirely updated yet. The PDF for the women's LP is not yet available but is for the SP. I'm unclear why the ISU doesn't give Zagreb whatever tech they use to put up protocols almost instantly or why it's being hosted on something called bitballoon.com rather than ISU's site.

Edit: If you don't want to click the weird link above out of virus fears or whatever go here:

http://www.isu.org/events/eventdetail/11466/-/golden-spin-of-zagreb?templateParam=11

and then scroll down near the bottom to "Results Link" and it'll take you to the weird sharp-jackson website above.

andromache

Record Breaker
I haven't watched her in awhile, so someone tell me, is it just me or are all of Hannah Miller's jumps under-rotated?

If those jumps are what have gotten her to Nationals, something tells me she's getting some decent-sized gifts from the tech panels at Sectionals etc.

i couldn't go on. I got on the Golden spin zagreb site itself and the ladies/mens short programs came up as well as protocols. it came up under www.croskate.hr

fyi i did go through ISU forum site for the week to pull up the Golden spin site itself.--sorry.

Alifyre

On the Ice
I really like Emmy!! I remember watching her on the JGP and being very impressed by her performance. Does she have a shot at a podium at junior nats?

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I really like Emmy!! I remember watching her on the JGP and being very impressed by her performance. Does she have a shot at a podium at junior nats?

She actually is competing as a senior at Nationals. She won Eastern Sectionals to qualify. In fact with her placement, she won the battle of sectional champs!