2017-18 State of U.S. Men's Figure Skating | Page 111 | Golden Skate

2017-18 State of U.S. Men's Figure Skating

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Just put the Worlds scores in the spreadsheet. And I'll give the analysis later, but honestly if I was Jason Brown, I wouldn't give up yet (not that he is, but speaking figuratively of course) -- despite his struggles this season -- his scores still hold up really well in relation to the other men.

Max Aaron's scores also were pretty solid. Nathan's was astronomical (and Nathan -- just by a hair -- has the highest PCS of the U.S. men (91.84 vs. 91.80)-- though Jason still has the highest average by a few points)

I will say what I said in the free skate thread -- what save us was the depth men. It speaks volumes that the third alternate, 9th place finisher at Nationals contributed to three spots. And Vincent also finished top 6 at the Olympics. And Jason got a 4CC medal. I'd say overall it was pretty good season for the U.S. men.

Last edited:

yyyskate

Record Breaker
So happy for Nathan!! <3 . And also respect to Max Aaron for skating well and keeping 3 spots for US men!!

I was worried for the 3 points, when Vincent faltered. but Thanks to Max for helping to keep 3 spots for US men!!! Regardless what Max chose to do, he will always be a insanely charming and handsome man.

mrrice

Record Breaker
I was worried for the 3 points, when Vincent faltered. but Thanks to Max for helping to keep 3 spots for US men!!! Regardless what Max chose to do, he will always be a insanely charming and handsome man.

Completely true. I have always said that Max's performance at Nationals was a fluke. He's been one of our most reliable skaters since 2013. Much respect for him.

Erin9

On the Ice
Nathan said that he’s learned from the Olympics. That seems very evident today. Maybe he can pass that knowledge around....

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
So looking at who kept/gained three 3 spots in the last several years:

2014: Jeremy + Max
2015: Jason + Adam
2017: Nathan + Jason
2018: Nathan + Max

That five different US men. Again depth, matters. And so does breadth, since Nathan needed a top 2 placement this year.

Also we've managed to have a U.S. man (4 different ones - Jeremy -5th, Jason 4th, Adam, 6th, Nathan 6th in '17 and 1st this year) ) in the top six five years in a row. Not bad. :)

Last edited:

mrrice

Record Breaker
Nathan and Max showed their true character today <3.

I just watched Nathan's Free Program and I loved it. I also loved seeing Raf so happy. With Ashley and Adam skipping worlds and Mariah not skating very well, all of his eggs were in Nathan's basket. Congratulations Nathan. 9 years since Evans win and this was huge for the US Men.

Erin9

On the Ice
I just watched Nathan's Free Program and I loved it. I also loved seeing Raf so happy. With Ashley and Adam skipping worlds and Mariah not skating very well, all of his eggs were in Nathan's basket. Congratulations Nathan. 9 years since Evans win and this was huge for the US Men.

He really did a great job. I just watched it too.

It was a huge win. I’d forgotten that it had been since 2009 since a US man had won gold at World’s. It had been since 2013 since the US had won a World gold in skating period- our worst drought ever. Glad that’s over.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Let's face it Nathan saved the US men's 3rd spot today. The fact no other US men's skater made the top 10 meant he had to not only get on the podium but win at least Silver.

oatmella

&#38472;&#24013;
Record Breaker
I wouldn't say that and I'm an admitted Nathan superfan. Of course Nathan did the heavy lifting, but Max held on and did his part as well.

lurkz2

On the Ice

Maybe all of his American eggs, but Raf was pretty busy today. Aside from Nathan, both Ponsart and Brezina delivered at Worlds.

QuadSal

On the Ice
Congratulations to all the US men at this event!

Nathan: What a free Skate from him! I hope he does more interesting transitions and choreography in his next year programs so he can make his programs more interesting.

Max: A nice Free Program from him too and it's nice that he manged to get 10th place to keep the US 3 spots too! I hope he continues to skate competitively or not.

Vincent: I feel sorry for him after the free skate as it all went down hill for him. I hope he can take this to improve his spins, skating skills and jumps over the summer and be strong for the next season

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Let's face it Nathan saved the US men's 3rd spot today. The fact no other US men's skater made the top 10 meant he had to not only get on the podium but win at least Silver.

No. Nathan couldn't do it alone. If Max hadn't skated as well as he did then the US would have been sunk no matter what Nathan did.

I am 100% here for this. I never expected to see a USFS-backed entity reporting on how underappreciated Max is. But it's still nice to see. :yes:

#1Kerryfan

Final Flight
I love the Max underappreciation tweet :)

Anyone have a video of the medal ceremony? It'll be great to hear the US anthem again :)

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
A bit of a interesting piece of interesting information, RE: Andrew Torgashev from a Colorado Springs NPR affiliate reporter:

https://twitter.com/jacobbrownell/status/977615374911864833

Andrew Torgashev says he just moved to cos from Coral Springs, FL. Was near MSD when parkland shooting happened... “the kids that started the Never Again movement are here to make a difference.” @KRCC #MarchForOurLives #ColoradoSprings

That's cool that Andrew participated in the March for Our Lives event there! I remember hearing that he didn't live too far from the school where the shooting happened.

But also interested that Andrew has appeared to have moved to Colorado! He had started working with Christy Krall at the end of this season -- so is he going with her full-time? This is good news considering his jump struggles.

Last edited:

yelyoh

Medalist
Country
United-States
Supposedly Max said something like he was there to support the young guys and then he does that by rescuing three spots. You never know..... And if he continues skating would someone please pass on the suggestion that he do Pal Joey for his LP. He would be great, dancey yes but more athletic than balletic. Gene Kelly did it on B'way before he went to Hollywood and became a star. It would be less DRAMATIC than Lion King or POTO. The character is a sexy but lovable (at first) cad.