2017-18 State of U.S. Men's Figure Skating | Page 109 | Golden Skate

2017-18 State of U.S. Men's Figure Skating

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Time to bump this baby up!

Adam Rippon will be on Ellen tomorrow and may end up on DWTS
Jason Brown is going to Worlds in place of Adam. There's rumor of a coaching change (previously noted on this thread).
Nathan Chen and Vincent Zhou are still slated for Worlds.
Next week is junior worlds. Alexei Krasnozhon, Camden Pulkinen and Tomoki Hiwatashi will be competing

Any other updates on other U.S. men?

Last edited:

mintx

On the Ice
I'm not surprised to see Adam on Ellen at all. I bet he gets DWTS too.

Do you think Adam will do The GP series next season?

Does Adam choreograph programs too?

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm not surprised to see Adam on Ellen at all. I bet he gets DWTS too.

Do you think Adam will do The GP series next season?

Does Adam choreograph programs too?

If Adam was smart he'd call it a day. He got lots of press at the Olympics and really he's not going to be a contender moving forward and making the US World team will just keep getting harder and harder at his age.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... Any other updates on other U.S. men?

Some bits:

-- Vincent's ISU bio now lists Drew Meekins as "Former Coach."

Not sure what to make of this change, because I believe that of Vincent's multiple coaches, Drew was the one most focused on components.
Back when VZ announced that he had added Christy Krall to his team, Drew originally remained on the list of VZ's coaches.

But now Vincent's ISU bio and IN bio both have been changed to say,
"Coach: Tammy Gambill, Tom Zakrajsek, Christine Krall."​
I can understand that four full-fledged coaches would have been a crowd, but I hope components will be getting their share of Vincent's attention.​

-- Emmanuel Savary said via Instagram story that he is moving. But he did not say where. (Moving, not retiring.)

-- On a different note:
Hugs to Torgashev, for whom the Florida school shootings hit close to home. He lives across the street from the school. (Does not attend the school.)
The day after the tragedy, he wrote a touching Instagram post about his community that is grieving and on edge.
I had to remind myself of Torgashev's exact age. He is only sixteen years old. No one should have to experience this terrible sense of loss. But especially not someone so young. :sad4:​

... Next week is junior worlds. Alexei Krasnozhon, Camden Pulkinen and Tomoki Hiwatashi will be competing ...

Good luck to Camden, Tomoki, Alex at Junior Worlds. :yay:

MarinHondas

Final Flight
WOOOHOOO Nathan is in first place after the #WorldFigure short program! That is some sweet "redemchen" after the Olympics.
Vincent Zhou is in third.
Max Aaron qualified for the free skate and sits in fifteenth, close to both fourteenth and thirteenth.

Erin9

On the Ice
WOOOHOOO Nathan is in first place after the #WorldFigure short program! That is some sweet "redemchen" after the Olympics.
Vincent Zhou is in third.
Max Aaron qualified for the free skate and sits in fifteenth, close to both fourteenth and thirteenth.

Good for him! I’m so happy for him. And, Vincent, as well! Well done.

I can’t remember which big names aren’t here due to injury or retirement beyond Hanyu and Javier.....

Erin9

On the Ice
Hanyu Javier and Patrick are missing.

Thanks. So considering who will likely still be skating next season, I think only Hanyu is missing. Just trying to get an idea of what next season is likely to look like- unless there is a male Alina out there. Lol

MarinHondas

Final Flight
Thanks. So considering who will likely still be skating next season, I think only Hanyu is missing. Just trying to get an idea of what next season is likely to look like- unless there is a male Alina out there. Lol

Hahaha I don't think so. Yes, Hanyu will be the only one back next season that isn't here. Seriously looking at juniors, I don't see anyone that could challenge right away if they moved up.

tosca

On the Ice
Honestly so happy for Nathan and Vincent. Nathan was still not at his best but made a strong case for himself.

I think for me Vincent is generally very underrated. He is so young and timing was not on his side like it was for Nathan. He had to pull it all together in his first season as a senior and put more focus on the tech (like Nathan did his first season). He has a lot of GREAT qualities and I know with time it will shine through his programs and I am SO happy that he put out a clean skate! Highest tech of the night!

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Don't read Max's quick quotes unless you want a gut-punch so hard it will bruise your feelings.

Just be smiling after the FS, Max. Just be smiling.

tosca

On the Ice
Don't read Max's quick quotes unless you want a gut-punch so hard it will bruise your feelings.

Just be smiling after the FS, Max. Just be smiling.

Could you link? Max Aaron also is one of my sentimental favs... makes me so sad.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Could you link? Max Aaron also is one of my sentimental favs... makes me so sad.

On my phone so can't link...go to ISU site, click on the Worlds event page, and under the "for media" section there's a folder called "Facts,,Figures and Quick Quotes". Max is in "QQ Men SP3".

brightphoton

Medalist
I gotchu

http://cloud.isu.org/index.php/s/EWtBSOR6CIRUDya

Max Aaron:

It was a tough program but for the time that I had training I did the best that I can and I have no regrets. I’m somewhat proud of what I did but I’m really just here to support the boys Nate [Nathan Chen] and Vincent [Zhou] in case anything goes wrong and I can sneak in there and help them secure two spots. But I’m really confident that those boys are going to lay it down and, hopefully, bring home two World medals. So I’m just here for support and to help them out as much as I can. I actually wasn’t training. I took time off, I was an alternate and I didn’t think it would ever happen so I had 3 or 4 weeks off, shame on me, then I got the call and came back and threw myself into it. I am happy that I qualified for the free but I’m really just here to support our two men.

tosca

On the Ice
On my phone so can't link...go to ISU site, click on the Worlds event page, and under the "for media" section there's a folder called "Facts,,Figures and Quick Quotes". Max is in "QQ Men SP3".

Thanks Karne! Honestly, Max is such a stand up guy. Here is the quote:

"It was a tough program but for the time that I had training I did the best that I can and I have no regrets. I’m somewhat proud of what I did but I’m really just here to support the boys Nate [Nathan Chen] and Vincent [Zhou] in case anything goes wrong and I can sneak in there and help them secure two spots. But I’m really confident that those boys are going to lay it down and, hopefully, bring home two World medals. So I’m just here for support and to help them out as much as I can. I actually wasn’t training. I took time off, I was an alternate and I didn’t think it would ever happen so I had 3 or 4 weeks off, shame on me, then I got the call and came back and threw myself into it. I am happy that I qualified for the free but I’m really just here to support our two men."

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

"It was a tough program but for the time that I had training I did the best that I can and I have no regrets. I’m somewhat proud of what I did but I’m really just here to support the boys Nate [Nathan Chen] and Vincent [Zhou] in case anything goes wrong and I can sneak in there and help them secure two spots. But I’m really confident that those boys are going to lay it down and, hopefully, bring home two World medals. So I’m just here for support and to help them out as much as I can. I actually wasn’t training. I took time off, I was an alternate and I didn’t think it would ever happen so I had 3 or 4 weeks off, shame on me, then I got the call and came back and threw myself into it. I am happy that I qualified for the free but I’m really just here to support our two men."

So Max wasn't training all that time since he was low on the alternate list. I just watched his program and he fought through well. Good for him and he's there to support Nathan and Vincent.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands

Good for Max!