2017-2018 Canadian Road to the Olympics | Page 68 | Golden Skate

2017-2018 Canadian Road to the Olympics

mrrice

Record Breaker
Isn't Nam still fairly young? Is there a chance he'll still be skating in 2022 should he miss his chance to go this time. He'll certainly be younger than Patrick is now and if he can maintain his technique, he has many years of skating ahead of him, right?

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Isn't Nam still fairly young? Is there a chance he'll still be skating in 2022 should he miss his chance to go this time. He'll certainly be younger than Patrick is now and he can maintain is technique, he has many years of skating ahead of him, right?

he is 19!!! i think

disco_dannio

Rinkside
Liam usually brings it to nationals. 3x medallist. 2 bronze and a silver. Every year he is tossed aside by the forum and ends up in the podium ,,, except for last year with his head splat and concussion a week before nationals. Will be interesting. Also has the highest international pcs this year other than patrick....

True. However, whenever Liam has been favoured, it's because there really wasn't a great alternative. I mean, yes Reynolds could rotate, but he needed everything to be 100% to get beyond 150. And we're talking 3 quads, to 3Axels, a 4-3, 3-3 or 3-3-3... and ONLY then would he pull big scores. My thought is that Liam was always a shot in the dark. Skate Canada always hoped that he'd miraculously skate a clean program, hence his higher than normal scores at nationals.

This year... well, if Liam skates well, then give it to him. He's fantastic. But this year there are many more skaters with potential than in the past. Nic and Joseph and Keegan with 2+ quads. All three are miles ahead of Reynolds. Nam's toes are ridiculously pre-rotated, and his hunched entrances into 3axel, 4sal, flutz, etc. leave him a bit of work to do. He doesn't have a single textbook jump in terms of technique or impression, whereas (eg) Nic and Joseph can each hit jumps that equal the top in the world.

I had forgotten about Joseph. You're right, he's fantastic for his age. Methinks if Nic can get himself together, he and Joseph will be the future. I can see Joseph at World's next year for sure, and possibly Olympics too. I love that knee spin thing he does into his 3 lutz. Awesome.

Hmm... the reference to Joseph messed up my predictions... I think Nic's going to need to add his 4loop back in if he wants that 2nd spot.

DD
- by the way, I'm not exactly new - just haven't posted much since marriage and kids came along. I think I was a member before I was married, so that would be 13+ years ago! Haha...

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada

Sackie

Medalist
4everchan - love your comment above: 'Patrick needs to skate both the SP and LP in the team event for Canada to remain in the medal race.' Not sure if our top skaters in each discipline don't need to skate both in order to stay in the medals. Even our top skaters have not been performing as they should this GP season but even worse is our 2nd and 3rd ranked skaters or teams. I was really hoping that W/P would come on strong this season and make the GP final. And G/P have dropped in the rankings like crazy. Even if they stay in after this season I think they might still be struggling to stay in the top 10. I really think it was not making the GPF last year that caused them to miss the world podium and making it moved H/D to the forefront. Also our 2nd tier pairs and men have come up way short this season. I am hopeful that Gabby comes back strong as the year goes along but I think she may have hurt her chances by letting the judges down in her skates so far. Coming in 1st in her first GP short of the season showed they were willing to still have faith in her - but now she has faltered badly in both her free skates and they did not seem as willing to give her the benefit of the doubt at SA.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
4everchan - love your comment above: 'Patrick needs to skate both the SP and LP in the team event for Canada to remain in the medal race.' Not sure if our top skaters in each discipline don't need to skate both in order to stay in the medals. Even our top skaters have not been performing as they should this GP season but even worse is our 2nd and 3rd ranked skaters or teams. I was really hoping that W/P would come on strong this season and make the GP final. And G/P have dropped in the rankings like crazy. Even if they stay in after this season I think they might still be struggling to stay in the top 10. I really think it was not making the GPF last year that caused them to miss the world podium and making it moved H/D to the forefront. Also our 2nd tier pairs and men have come up way short this season. I am hopeful that Gabby comes back strong as the year goes along but I think she may have hurt her chances by letting the judges down in her skates so far. Coming in 1st in her first GP short of the season showed they were willing to still have faith in her - but now she has faltered badly in both her free skates and they did not seem as willing to give her the benefit of the doubt at SA.

well i mentioned it on some other post...

Canada could just be ruthless and not send any subs... so Patrick, D/R, V/M and Kaetlyn could skate the entire team event.

I'd only be disappointed for Weapo and Gabby in this scenario.

Dylan and Kisten got their medal already..... S/B can get theirs in 2022..

I am not thinking it would be too mcuh on Kaetlyn as there is enough time...V/M are ready as well. Patrick will do what he's told to do (okay.. i am being sarcastic) and the only issue remains D/R... would they be willing to do so much skating in such a short period of time? I think so... it's only one more program from 2014.

If Skate Canada is very smart about the team event, they will consider not subbing... however, let's see how Gabby heals and how Weapo refine their FD.

blackey

On the Ice
I can’t believe there are still this many people talking about their “disappointment” on certain skater not skating in team event. Like team event is some comfort candy everyone has zero chance of medalling in individual should get a piece? Canada does not have that much advantage of winning gold anymore. I’d say in current situation Russia has the better edge. If they actually gonna fight for the gold they have to have the best team.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I can’t believe there are still this many people talking about their “disappointment” on certain skater not skating in team event. Like team event is some comfort candy everyone has zero chance of medalling in individual should get a piece? Canada does not have that much advantage of winning gold anymore. I’d say in current situation Russia has the better edge. If they actually gonna fight for the gold they have to have the best team.

must be a canadian thing ;) we want everyone to get their piece of the cake ;)

however, i do believe that the situation here is very different from 2014. Pairs were pretty much even in 2014. And Kevin was competitive. THose are the two disciplines where a sub can be useful to provide rest to skaters. For 2018 : I don't really see the advantage of subbing.

What could be done though : is to name Gabby and Weapo on the team but not use them if Canada absolutely needs VM an KO to skate the free programs. We would know by then what is mathematically possible and how everyone feels.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
For those interested, ic3Rabbit just let me know about this...

SOI is finally coming to montreal... and chiddy on it...

http://www.starsonice.ca/welcome.html

not sure I will go since i just bought SCI and that's a lot of money back to back for skating but ... i am tempted ;) I just don't want to buy it, and then suddenly, chiddy skips... he's been doing that a lot lately... mi no trusti di chiddi

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
For those interested, ic3Rabbit just let me know about this...

SOI is finally coming to montreal... and chiddy on it...

http://www.starsonice.ca/welcome.html

not sure I will go since i just bought SCI and that's a lot of money back to back for skating but ... i am tempted ;) I just don't want to buy it, and then suddenly, chiddy skips... he's been doing that a lot lately... mi no trusti di chiddi

Here's the list of dates: http://www.starsonice.ca/get-tickets.html

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
(i think I should put into perspective that I have seen everyone else more often than Patrick because of ACI... he and Gabby have been shortchanged but for instance I have already seen VOIR 3 times.. i feel fortunate and privileged but when one is a crazy patty fan and patrick doesn't do ACI or will for sure retire... he does become the number one attraction for me...) :slink:

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
(i think I should put into perspective that I have seen everyone else more often than Patrick because of ACI... he and Gabby have been shortchanged but for instance I have already seen VOIR 3 times.. i feel fortunate and privileged but when one is a crazy patty fan and patrick doesn't do ACI or will for sure retire... he does become the number one attraction for me...) :slink:

We'll gladly take Voir on the US tour this year. ;)

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Roman now has a YouTube channel called Romsky! :yay: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWZJ3gGYI_Qd36YeM_sKbZQ

This is his hilarious introduction to the YT channel on Instagram :rofl2: : https://www.instagram.com/p/BcEjol8HW3e/

alex + adam... nothing less..

Adam is 1/4 Canadian because his grandmother is from Toronto (he reveals this fact in this short interview http://iamtorontonian.com/i-feel-torontos-my-second-home/), so we at least get partial dibs on him. ;) :biggrin: