2017-2018 Canadian Road to the Olympics | Page 70 | Golden Skate

2017-2018 Canadian Road to the Olympics

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
that's just ridiculous - he is already a beautiful skater and probably our 3rd best at this point after PC and Keegan ( based on recent performances by other " contenders " like Reynolds, and Firus , )after Can you also enlighten me as to why there don't appear to be any Canadian skaters in Golden Spin next week - it would have been better to send him there and skip the Challenge to get International exposure IMHO?

Also where was Conrad Orzel - wasn't at Challenge and isn't listed for Golden Spin - I hope he isn't injured because he too has a lot of potential .
Thanks for answering so promptly - I envy your fund of knowledge and inner connections !

He was at Challenge in Sr men

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
that's just ridiculous - he is already a beautiful skater and probably our 3rd best at this point after PC and Keegan ( based on recent performances by other " contenders " like Reynolds, and Firus , )after Can you also enlighten me as to why there don't appear to be any Canadian skaters in Golden Spin next week - it would have been better to send him there and skip the Challenge to get International exposure IMHO?

Also where was Conrad Orzel - wasn't at Challenge and isn't listed for Golden Spin - I hope he isn't injured because he too has a lot of potential .
Thanks for answering so promptly - I envy your fund of knowledge and inner connections !

i have no inner connections :) just passion for these kids... first, Conrad is indeed at Challenge... he placed 5th in the LP after a disastrous SP.

We agree here..we have been wondering why skate canada isn't sending jo and conrad to senior bs... i can see how one or even both of them could get into the top5 at nationals and with patrick and kevin retiring, liam and elladj as well, we need these boys to go to 4cc at least!

And if Conrad has been struggling as he is adding a lot more quads to his programs, Jo has had ONE bad LP all season... which kept him away from JGPF. (he is first substitute)

So if Skate Canada had smartened up they could have given Jo and Conrad an earlier Senior B, and a bye for sectionals... they could have still competed at challenge if necessary... or the opposite as you say (Golden Spin)...

But nope... It's very unfortunate and bad planning... Having sent the kids already and them coming back with TES MIN (hopefully) would have meant that if they rank very high at Canadians they could have gone directly to 4cc or even worlds.... Now, if one of them does really well at Nationals, Skate Canada may send them to the last chance senior Bs but then, there is the added pressure attached to it.. (you will go to 4cc (or worlds) if you get your minimums today!) That's a different mental game.

It seems to me that Skate Canada has decided to ignore the youth this year as many guys are retiring and those guys will get their last chance opportunities... Very bad planning as who will have to go next year and bring back spots???

Anyways... that's a huge mishap IMHO.

kresslia

Medalist
just watched Sr Men LP at Challenge - very impressed with J Phan - does he have minimum scores just in case he happens to be chosen for Canadian Olympic team ( admit its a long shot )
at this point i'm not so sure it's a long shot lol, i haven't paid much attention to him but from what i'm seeing at challenge he seems like he's in better shape than our other men in contention.

he needs to get those minimums. it's insane he hasn't yet.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
at this point i'm not so sure it's a long shot lol, i haven't paid much attention to him but from what i'm seeing at challenge he seems like he's in better shape than our other men in contention.

he needs to get those minimums. it's insane he hasn't yet.

he was never given the opportunity... that's what irks me...

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
Oops I forgot to do a medals count after SkAm.

Medals so far

9 gold, 4 silver, 11 bronze

24 total

I'm guessing now Liam is officially out of the Olympics race. Keegan, Nam, and Nicolas are still in. Maybe Kevin too. Roman is likely out. Joseph meets none of the other criteria for selection (like making JGPF once) so I don't even think he was ever on SC's radar. But it would have been good for him to experience 4CC.

Don't judge Stephen by one competition alone. He has a body of work and it's full of ups and some downs. He gets injured and sick and struggles like every skater. He did do a 4T at Challenge which is a victory in itself.

Kaitlyn Weaver is on the mend: https://www.instagram.com/p/BcN9bmEn2XO/
Tessa Virtue is a style icon: https://www.instagram.com/p/BcOBJOyFBMK/
Alaine's been training in Colorado: https://www.instagram.com/p/BcN3SMUBVjY/

GPF is in Japan so if you're watching live it'll be some early morning viewing but CBC has got you covered: http://www.cbc.ca/sports/olympics/winter/figureskating/broadcast

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
if we consider requirements from skate canada

only patrick and kevin check some of the boxes....perhaps nic silver at 2016 worlds also ticks in

nobody else has top 6 ayt 4cc or top 10 at worlds or gpf

so it begs the question: is there really a race?

xox

On the Ice
Oops I forgot to do a medals count after SkAm.

Medals so far

9 gold, 4 silver, 11 bronze

24 total

I'm guessing now Liam is officially out of the Olympics race. Keegan, Nam, and Nicolas are still in. Maybe Kevin too. Roman is likely out. Joseph meets none of the other criteria for selection (like making JGPF once) so I don't even think he was ever on SC's radar. But it would have been good for him to experience 4CC.

Don't judge Stephen by one competition alone. He has a body of work and it's full of ups and some downs. He gets injured and sick and struggles like every skater. He did do a 4T at Challenge which is a victory in itself.

Kaitlyn Weaver is on the mend: https://www.instagram.com/p/BcN9bmEn2XO/
Tessa Virtue is a style icon: https://www.instagram.com/p/BcOBJOyFBMK/
Alaine's been training in Colorado: https://www.instagram.com/p/BcN3SMUBVjY/

GPF is in Japan so if you're watching live it'll be some early morning viewing but CBC has got you covered: http://www.cbc.ca/sports/olympics/winter/figureskating/broadcast

Liam... he beat Kevin at skate america... Kevin has downgrade and pcs issues nic has not scored as high as Liam internationally this year and is behind him in world ranking..... Nam struggles with downgrades and pcs... take a look at his challenge pcs... Liam and Keegan have the highest season scores... let's see who show up at nationals Roman was beat by Liam at skate america and has not scored close to Liam this year and is behind Liam in world standings

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
How is Liam out... he beat Kevin at skate america... nic has not scored as high as Liam internationally..... have you looked at nams pcs and downgrades....

So about that

Nicolas scored 229.43 at Skate Canada vs. Liam's 210.83 at Skate America. Liam has a very nice, PB score from US International Classic (248.29) but then Liam scored less at Warsaw Cup in November (200.71) than Nicolas did at Nepela (205.97) back in September. We saw Nicolas score 231.43 this weekend at Challenge. Nicolas also has higher scores than Liam at Championnats québécois d'été.

This season Nam has scored 245.21 at ACI, 238.45 at Rostelecom Cup, 214.51 at NHK Trophy, and 223.47 at Challenge. I know Nam has major issues but his results have been comparable to Keegan Messing's - and Keegan is a real candidate now too.

Kevin's best result this season is from Cup of China with a 226.50. But what Kevin has going for him is history - an OSM from the team event, a 9th place at 2017 Worlds, a bronze from SCI16, etc. I know us fans may not care as much about these things but there is a selection criteria set out by the fed that values these things. If Kevin shows up at Nationals with decent performances I think there would be few qualms about selecting him. Keep in mind also the fed wanted to send Kevin to 2016 Worlds originally instead of Liam but had to settle for Nam.

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
xox you edited your post while I was replying to you so let me add on the extras you put in

I don't believe world standings matter much when you've got real scores to look at. But if you insist on looking at them then right now the order for Canadian men is

7 Patrick Chan
29 Kevin Reynolds
31 Nam Nguyen
46 Liam Firus
50 Nicolas Nadeau
58 Roman Sadovsky
66 Conrad Orzel
75 Joseph Phan
87 Elladj Baldé

Bennet and a few others are on here too. If they went off of this then last year's podium men are the top contenders for the Olympics. If we are looking at Seasons World Ranking 2017/18 then Keegan is ahead of Liam by one spot and is the top man. But then again, Liam is ahead of Yuzuru Hanyu so should we be making some decisions based on this?

Well Liam will have to show us that US Classic performance again because it hasn't happened so far but he's got another shot at Nationals.

You shouldn't compare Roman's world standing to Liam's because Roman has just turned senior whereas Liam has been a senior for a long time. We already know in Canada senior skaters get more opportunities to compete than juniors.

xox

On the Ice
World standings affect start orders. Summer comp are just that summer comps. running programs. Roman was mentioned as you stated he may be out of the running. I am not sure he was in the running. Roman has been competing nationally as a senior for a few years and has had a lot of opportunities to build his ranking with jr world scores, jgp and jgp final. Not sure how he and Nic did at junior worlds last year? For me the one to watch is Joseph Phan.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
World standings affect start orders. Summer comp are just that summer comps. running programs. Roman was mentioned as you stated he may be out of the running. I am not sure he was in the running. Roman has been competing nationally as a senior for a few years and has had a lot of opportunities to build his ranking with jr world scores, jgp and jgp final. Not sure how he and Nic did at junior worlds last year? For me the one to watch is Joseph Phan.

the issue with world rankings is that it very much depends on what skate canada has done with assignments :

Liam has had a few more seniors b than other skaters, and he did well on a couple of these to earn points... Joseph was never given anything so no points.... :(

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
These are the criteria listed by Skate Canada:

*Medalist at the 2016, and/or the 2017 ISU World Figure Skating Championships - D/R, V/M, Kaetlyn, Gabrielle
*Placement at the 2018 Canadian Tire National Figure Skating Championships - TBD
*Top 10 placement at the 2016 and/or 2017 ISU World Figure Skating Championships - W/P, G/P, I/M, MT/M, Patrick, Kevin
*Top 6 placement at the 2016 and/or 2017 ISU Four Continents Figure Skating Championships - V/M, W/P, G/P, D/R, I/M, Kaetlyn, Gabrielle, Patrick
*Qualifying for the 2015/2016, 2016/2017, and/or 2017/2018 ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating Final and/or the ISU Junior Grand Prix of Figure Skating Final - V/M, D/R, Kaetlyn, L/L, Patrick,
S/B, Roman?

*Other relevant criteria deemed appropriate for selection

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
These are the criteria listed by Skate Canada:

*Medalist at the 2016, and/or the 2017 ISU World Figure Skating Championships - D/R, V/M, Kaetlyn, Gabrielle
*Placement at the 2018 Canadian Tire National Figure Skating Championships - TBD
*Top 10 placement at the 2016 and/or 2017 ISU World Figure Skating Championships - W/P, G/P, I/M, MT/M, Patrick, Kevin
*Top 6 placement at the 2016 and/or 2017 ISU Four Continents Figure Skating Championships - V/M, W/P, G/P, D/R, I/M, Kaetlyn, Gabrielle, Patrick
*Qualifying for the 2015/2016, 2016/2017, and/or 2017/2018 ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating Final and/or the ISU Junior Grand Prix of Figure Skating Final - V/M, D/R, Kaetlyn, L/L, Patrick,
S/B, Roman?

*Other relevant criteria deemed appropriate for selection

and perhaps they would consider Nic's silver at worlds junior 2016 in here.

But as we mentioned, outside of Patrick, it gets tough for men to show success in the requirements categories.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
and perhaps they would consider Nic's silver at worlds junior 2016 in here.

But as we mentioned, outside of Patrick, it gets tough for men to show success in the requirements categories.

That's why I think they'll just look at Nationals in all likelihood.

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
fine never mind... i will keep patrick, scott and andrew... even eric :love:

I see someone has been skipping their cold shower and cage regime for the past week. I’m calling my people now to have you tossed into the Arctic Ocean via cannon to make up for it.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
That's why I think they'll just look at Nationals in all likelihood.

yup... but let's say Jo gets silver... and gogo bronze.... Messing gets 4th, Kevin 5th, and Nam 6th... Nicolas 7th, Liam 8th..

Just for fun... who do you send where :)

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I see someone has been skipping their cold shower and cage regime for the past week. I’m calling my people now to have you tossed into the Arctic Ocean via cannon to make up for it.

your people as your syncrho team? i have an antidote : i scream FALL... then they all look around and start yelling at each other to see who wrecked it... and that's all i need to escape ;)

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
yup... but let's say Jo gets silver... and gogo bronze.... Messing gets 4th, Kevin 5th, and Nam 6th... Nicolas 7th, Liam 8th..

Just for fun... who do you send where :)

Keegan, if they can't find a way to get Jo the minimums. They can't send Gogo to anything except advanced novice comps anyways, so then 4CC to Kevin, Nam and Nic.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Keegan, if they can't find a way to get Jo the minimums. They can't send Gogo to anything except advanced novice comps anyways, so then 4CC to Kevin, Nam and Nic.

Now reverse the order but keep the podium. I put jojo and gogo there to show the lack of vision from SC. Who goes where? This just shows the almost randomness of who will go to Olympics. Also, what if Kevin didnt make o games and just called it a career. Same with liam and elladj. They might not feel like going to 4cc or even worlds

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Now reverse the order but keep the podium. I put jojo and gogo there to show the lack of vision from SC. Who goes where? This just shows the almost randomness of who will go to Olympics. Also, what if Kevin didnt make o games and just called it a career. Same with liam and elladj. They might not feel like going to 4cc or even worlds

If Jo gets bronze behind Gogo, my preference would be to still try to get him the minimums and send him, and again Keegan if that's not possible. If the difference between 3rd and 4th is small, they might just go with Keegan because it's easier. And if the other guys don't want to, then I guess just send Nam, Nic and Roman to 4CC. It would be good experience for them.