2017-2018 Programs by Discipline | Page 85 | Golden Skate

2017-2018 Programs by Discipline

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
There's really no reason to still be looking forward. 7 or so have already been debuted. If you want help finding them, just let us know.

There can be 100 Lala land programs, but there's only a few I would bother to watch and Ashley is one of them.

She is one of the few I believe is capable to express the retrospective glow of the character/storyline and particularly expressing the main piano motif itself, sort of dichotomy of sweet sadness and longing yet hopeful all at the same time, that can gel with her life experience being a long march figure skater or all those who shares similar career path to her like her bestie Adam Rippon.

Having dealt with the romanticism with the sport but often reality bites; the struggles, the naked ambition, the desperate self-believe, lonely path and the sacrificing of chasing dreams despite mostly been bit of an underdog. There's only a handful of competitive skaters today have the wisdom, the style and the life experience suited to this material and she is one of them. That and she is one of the few can milk drama out of anything, can all make this a potential blockbuster.

In summation, it can be a glorious celebration and retrospective look back into her career, so why not?!

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
There can be 100 Lala land programs, but there's only a few I would bother to watch and Ashley is one of them.

She is one of the few I believe is capable to express the retrospective glow of the character/storyline and particularly expressing the main piano motif itself, sort of dichotomy of sweet sadness and longing yet hopeful all at the same time, that can gel with her life experience being a long march figure skater or all those who shares similar career path to her like her bestie Adam Rippon.

Having dealt with the romanticism with the sport but often reality bites; the struggle, the naked ambition, the desperate self believe, lonely path and the sacrificing of chasing dreams despite mostly been bit of an underdog. There's only a handful of competitive skaters today have the wisdom, the style and the life experience suited to this material and she is one of them. That and she is one of the few can milk drama out of anything, can all make this a potential blockbuster.

In summation, it can be a glorious celebration and retrospective look back into her career, so why not?!

Very beautifully stated. :points:

Ender

Match Penalty
There's really no reason to still be looking forward. 7 or so have already been debuted. If you want help finding them, just let us know.
La La La land soundtrack doesn't sound convincing and effective in ice rink. At least that's until now. I will wait to see others?

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Hey, I reserve the right to look forward to seeing them in competition (live is more exciting), in good quality videos, in close-up rather than long shots, with good sound quality....

For me it's not just about overview or how many jumps. It's the experience I get.

bevybean

On the Ice
We don't know if she's changed it. A switch from La La Land has NOT been confirmed. (only implied/suggested, by TSL tweet).

If you look at 11:51 on this feature, you'll see a lovely footwork section to her LLL. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9u5Q1Xok1y4
The 30 seconds just preceding has interesting comments from Shae-Lynne about Ashley's skating.

I'm proud to say I'm in the minority of GS fans, in that I'm REALLY looking forward to La La Land programs. I think it's going to be great. It'll provide some diversion from the warhorses. Can't wait to see Liam Firus' FS this week-end; I just have a feeling about it, like it's his turn to shine. I watched A/R's a couple of days ago; I feel it's not there yet, but I think they'll be able to develop and do a lot with it. Also, the video quality at this time is not the best, of course.

:eek:topic: What's up with the hip scarf she's wearing? I wouldn't think that would be conducive for skate practice as they can be restrictive to certain skating moves.

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
:eek:topic: What's up with the hip scarf she's wearing? I wouldn't think that would be conducive for skate practice as they can be restrictive to certain skating moves.

I have no idea. It seems to me the wrong kind of thing to practice in, but what do I know. Maybe it's sufficiently stretchy and adds warmth.

pearly

Record Breaker
I thought that perhaps skaters would wear something like that just to get a feel of what these movements that are being choreographed would feel like in a skirt/dress at competition.

I too was very much looking forward to Ashley's La La Land and hope we get to see it, at least in a show.

bevybean

On the Ice
I thought that perhaps skaters would wear something like that just to get a feel of what these movements that are being choreographed would feel like in a skirt/dress at competition.

I thought of that, buta hip scarf is nothing like the kind of skirt that would be worn for skating. So, that doesn't really make sense.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
Hey, I reserve the right to look forward to seeing them in competition (live is more exciting), in good quality videos, in close-up rather than long shots, with good sound quality....

For me it's not just about overview or how many jumps. It's the experience I get.

The JGP feed is good quality video, close up, and with good sound. We've seen at least 5 La La Lands there. The video from the Korean Test event was quite good as well.

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The JGP feed is good quality video, close up, and with good sound. We've seen at least 5 La La Lands there. The video from the Korean Test event was quite good as well.

I don't follow juniors, but I'll probably go back and check some of them out. :)

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Every SP Osmond has done this entire Olympic quad has been Edith Piaf themed.

That's honestly pathetic. The program is better than Summertime, but seriously, this trend of repeating in skating is way too stale and needs to be addressed somehow.

matcha

Medalist
Every SP Osmond has done this entire Olympic quad has been Edith Piaf themed.

That's honestly pathetic. The program is better than Summertime, but seriously, this trend of repeating in skating is way too stale and needs to be addressed somehow.

In all fairness, she repeated her programs in 15–16 because she was out the season before due to injury.

Aw, I was looking forward to seeing her Summertime develop through the season. It was seductive and jazzy, and she'd already created a strong character for it. Ah, well...

I wonder, is it something about the shortness of the pre-Olympic season -- needing to peak in February and all that -- that makes skaters fall back on previous programs?

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
La La La land soundtrack doesn't sound convincing and effective in ice rink. At least that's until now. I will wait to see others?

I have to disagree with this. I've seen a junior ice dance team perform to it very charmingly and it was quite effective for them. The audience loved it too. It all depends on the cuts and the character of the performance. I do believe though it's better suited for pairs and ice dance than single skaters because it seems suited to a duo rather than an individual.

On a different note, if Kaetlyn repeating Piaf-themed programs is pathetic then what does that make Yuzuru who is repeating his SP for a third time? Love both and I'm not judging either but looking at them through the same lens.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
At least Yuzu skated a different themed SP last season. But obviously I'm against someone repeating a program for 3 full seasons and his decision to do it is creating a massively negative example for the rest of the skating world.