2017 Autumn Classic Intl Ladies FS | Page 20 | Golden Skate

2017 Autumn Classic Intl Ladies FS

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
I wasn't talking about the silly ISU ranking system, rather actual points in competition (which was already said and you still ignore). Your level of stanning is such that it didn't even appear out of the ordinary for you to make a claim about a Canadian skater having 300 points more in compared competitions during a season.

Well we were, if only you had taken a moment to actually read the Thread, prior to posting a rebuttal.

kevinVchicago

Record Breaker
It's good to see this conclusion, because if the PCS are ever going to be scored accurately then this is the kind of assessment that needs to be made.

PCS scores make about as much sense to me as chemistry class, where I just pretended it wasn't happening, wrote poems and hoped nothing exploded. How can they even critique all of those aspects so quickly? When I look at that section of the protocols, I get a headache...

chloepoco

Medalist
I really enjoyed Mai's skate and want her on the National team... and thought her PCS could have been about 2 points higher, but the styling is just so juvenile. She has great edgework and solid (but not spectacular) elements, and I couldn't help but feel like I was watching a junior skater. I don't know if she wants to challenge for an Olympic medal but if she does she needs to at least convey maturity worthy of an Olympic medalist. Tying her (rather distracting) hair up, getting a less "pretty dress", this all helps. Of course, her skating needs more projection too for that kind of music but it's a solid vehicle for her.

You would think with all the criticism of Kaetlyn not looking the part, people would also bring up Mai's styling. I mean, they did all but give her pigtails and slap little bows on her dress.

I don't think she looks as juvenile as you make her out to be; I also don't think there's anything wrong with her styling--and I think her "pretty dress" is, very pretty.

I also don't think there's anything wrong with Kaetlyn's styling either. I thought they both looked nice. Not sure why you would question why Mai is not being criticized; it almost sounds like you want her to be criticized just because Kaetlyn is?

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I prefer to look at facts rather than rhetoric, chuckm.

The facts being, of the current ACI Threads , the Mens FS Thread has 22 pages, while the Womens Thread is current at 25 pages. When was the last time a Ladies Thread would surpass a 'LOVE IN' Mens Thread , particularly with 2 former World Champions competing in the mix?

Kaetlyn has 2 things which have contributed to "This" reaction; she is a Canadian first and foremost, as if we should be talking about a Canadian Woman in an Olympic conversation. :shocked: And secondly, as of last evening, and last season, a contender. Most of the Posts here, I would call, hate mail.

These are the reasons why the pitchforkers and their torch lighting friends need to unite. How dare Canadians even Dream that they should be in the conversation. Call all the villagers, as "Haters" don't do it alone. Misery does love company ;)

Kaetlyn is an Olympic contender. I think most posters DO realize that. I just don't buy the "hate" rhetoric. In effect, you're saying that anyone who offers an opinion about an Osmond performance that you consider disrespectful is therefore someone who "hates" her.

Figure skating fans like to discuss and comment on performances. Sometimes comments are raves, and sometimes they are critical in one aspect or another. The worst thing that can happen to a skater is that no one comments on him/her at all, because that is what happens when a skater is no longer seen as a legitimate contender.

This is an Olympic season, and there will be lots of posts about the contenders. Some will be favorable, and some not.

If indeed you do see most of the posts here as "Hate Mail" that is very sad for you. Perhaps it would be better for you to stay off the boards if the posts cause you that degree of stress.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
i tried to make this post earlier in the day.... but i have experienced some issues with both wifi and gs so let me try again...

I started thinking about Swan Lake....a while back, when Kaetlyn announced it was her LP choice... however, quickly, I noticed that right away she mentioned Black Swan (the movie)... and well.. this is one of the rare hollywood movies I watched as I thought YAY... a movie about fine arts..... let's go...

well the movie is very not much about ballet.. yes.. of course... it's the catalyst of the story and its setting... but the movie is about the struggles of a young woman, talented, with a ton of potential to achieve and fulfill herself in a highly competitive world....

i work in such a field and I received the movie as a slap in the face.... i have seen many colleagues go through hell in my field because of the pressure and expectations.... and personally, I have lived my share of struggles.... though... unlike many of my colleagues, I am still enjoying what I do.. after many years of ups and downs...

so when Kaetlyn announced her choice... after my initial ohhhh warhorse.... ohhhh tchaikowsky thoughts.... the movie's memory hit me....

and i thought... oh ... how fitting with everything she has gone through, when technically, at her "peak" in terms of age, Kaetlyn got a future threatening injury...

so i started thinking... if Kaetlyn is referencing the movie only, well it could be that this is what impacted on her... not the ballet... not the music... but the story of a young woman, with all her health issues related to her field, all her struggles.... and maybe this is where we need to go...

this is all hypothetical of course... but once one thinks about it this way, it opens a lot of doors for interpretation. Kaetlyn is much closer to the struggles lived by a young woman in a very competitive field than she is from a ballerina...some skaters, fond of ballet could see it otherwise ... but without knowing Kaetlyn's knowledge about this particular ballet, and hearing her talk about the program, to me it sounds like she is referencing the movie.

Her interpretation could be one that shows how she has gotten back after being hurt.... I have no idea what doctors told her but i have been through a fracture that prevented me to perform for a year.. and the doctors said : oh.. your arm will heal... and we will get it to be like the arm of a normal human being.. though... for the rest, to achieve specialized motions like you were in your art, we cannot tell how you will feel...

I learned everything from scratch again... Kaetlyn learned all her jumps from scratch again...

I don't want to continue the parallel with my own story as it's not interesting to any of you LOL and i don't know if really or not Kaetlyn thought about her own life when this LP was created on that soundtrack...

BUT : this is what we can all do... we call all open our minds and imagine for one second that this is not about Tchaikowsky and ballet... this is about the struggles of a young lady in a highly competitive field..... and her path to success.... Kaetlyn, as someone said, is sunshine on ice... and she takes us there... it's like we are already on the other side of darkness... she is aware of the struggles and achieving her dreams.... this is what can be received from her programme...

some of you will simply disagree and tell me I am silly (yes... i have read it already in this thread)... that's fine.. but you know... imagination is helpful... and in this case, it opened so many doors for possible interpretation and comprehension of this program... it's unfortunate that some of you just want to put it in one tiny little box barely big enough to fit a tutu...

there are way more interpretations to a story than the traditional/ classical one... and that's why art is fascinating.. and btw... choreographers of ballet go outside the box all the time, using music in different ways... it's not always balanchine or what not...

open the doors... they are not locked unless you lock them yourself

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
^^^^Yes yes yes....what he said. He totally "gets" it! :clap::agree:

tjb

Match Penalty
i tried to make this post earlier in the day.... but i have experienced some issues with both wifi and gs so let me try again...

I started thinking about Swan Lake....a while back, when Kaetlyn announced it was her LP choice... however, quickly, I noticed that right away she mentioned Black Swan (the movie)... and well.. this is one of the rare hollywood movies I watched as I thought YAY... a movie about fine arts..... let's go...

well the movie is very not much about ballet.. yes.. of course... it's the catalyst of the story and its setting... but the movie is about the struggles of a young woman, talented, with a ton of potential to achieve and fulfill herself in a highly competitive world....

i work in such a field and I received the movie as a slap in the face.... i have seen many colleagues go through hell in my field because of the pressure and expectations.... and personally, I have lived my share of struggles.... though... unlike many of my colleagues, I am still enjoying what I do.. after many years of ups and downs...

so when Kaetlyn announced her choice... after my initial ohhhh warhorse.... ohhhh tchaikowsky thoughts.... the movie's memory hit me....

and i thought... oh ... how fitting with everything she has gone through, when technically, at her "peak" in terms of age, Kaetlyn got a future threatening injury...

so i started thinking... if Kaetlyn is referencing the movie only, well it could be that this is what impacted on her... not the ballet... not the music... but the story of a young woman, with all her health issues related to her field, all her struggles.... and maybe this is where we need to go...

this is all hypothetical of course... but once one thinks about it this way, it opens a lot of doors for interpretation. Kaetlyn is much closer to the struggles lived by a young woman in a very competitive field than she is from a ballerina...some skaters, fond of ballet could see it otherwise ... but without knowing Kaetlyn's knowledge about this particular ballet, and hearing her talk about the program, to me it sounds like she is referencing the movie.

Her interpretation could be one that shows how she has gotten back after being hurt.... I have no idea what doctors told her but i have been through a fracture that prevented me to perform for a year.. and the doctors said : oh.. your arm will heal... and we will get it to be like the arm of a normal human being.. though... for the rest, to achieve specialized motions like you were in your art, we cannot tell how you will feel...

I learned everything from scratch again... Kaetlyn learned all her jumps from scratch again...

I don't want to continue the parallel with my own story as it's not interesting to any of you LOL and i don't know if really or not Kaetlyn thought about her own life when this LP was created on that soundtrack...

BUT : this is what we can all do... we call all open our minds and imagine for one second that this is not about Tchaikowsky and ballet... this is about the struggles of a young lady in a highly competitive field..... and her path to success.... Kaetlyn, as someone said, is sunshine on ice... and she takes us there... it's like we are already on the other side of darkness... she is aware of the struggles and achieving her dreams.... this is what can be received from her programme...

some of you will simply disagree and tell me I am silly (yes... i have read it already in this thread)... that's fine.. but you know... imagination is helpful... and in this case, it opened so many doors for possible interpretation and comprehension of this program... it's unfortunate that some of you just want to put it in one tiny little box barely big enough to fit a tutu...

there are way more interpretations to a story than the traditional/ classical one... and that's why art is fascinating.. and btw... choreographers of ballet go outside the box all the time, using music in different ways... it's not always balanchine or what not...

this libretto is averbukh's worthy:laugh:
they should add some voiceovers and pantomime into kaetlyn's program, so that everyone can understand how brilliant this is. otherwise it's beyond the imagination of simple peasants.

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
this libretto is averbukh's worthy:laugh:
they should add some voiceovers and pantomime into kaetlyn's program, so that everyone can understand how brilliant this is. otherwise it's beyond the imagination of simple peasants.

Like Evgenia's programs?

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Wagner had a great "Black Swan" program some years ago, which I liked very much. Does she look like a ballerina, very far from it... Neither does Osmond need to resemble a ballerina, she is interpreting that wonderful music! I really loved her performance, which of course was not perfect, yet. If it had been, there would be much to worry about peaking too early! Around GPF we can see a more perfect performance as she has gotten used to her new program.

kevinVchicago

Record Breaker

I'm feeling your vibe this morning.
:coffee:

PS
Hugo agrees with me about Kaetlyn's program, and he also said that nobody criticized Degas for not looking enough like a ballerina!

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker

:bow: Wow, I never thought about it that way, but it makes complete sense. Sometimes there's more than what meets the eye. Skaters obviously don't just choose music only because "this is the music I'm skating to this season" but because it's actually something personal to them and transcends how others see a piece at face value.

It's like Mirai choosing to skate to "Demons"... which seems unconventional but once you learn her personal story and career history, it actually is a brilliant and appropriate choice.

largeman

choice beef
Medalist
PS
Hugo agrees with me about Kaetlyn's program, and he also said that nobody criticized Degas for not looking enough like a ballerina!

:rofl2:
I usually appreciate Hugo's pearls of wisdom but this analogy doesn't quite work...

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
4everchan just expressed an interpretation I've always assumed. Since the movie, everybody skates to Black Swan instead of Swan Lake. I've always taken Black Swan to be a movie theme music and a Black Swan program about the movie story and the portrayal of the movie character. A ballerina skater would skate to Swan Lake and portray the White Swan as in the classic ballet. In either case, I believe the character, the swan or the ballerina, should be elegant and regal in carriage though the emotions to be expressed would be quite different for each.

eta. I didn't watch the movie though I know what it's about. It seems the story actually somewhat parallels that of Swan Lake, involving the struggle between good and evil. But it's refreshing to view it from the Black Swan's perspective. Maybe those who have watched the movie may enlighten me about my take.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

there are way more interpretations to a story than the traditional/ classical one... and that's why art is fascinating..

I completely agree. That's why art is art. Every person who watches a performance, reads literature, stands in front of a painting for more than 30 seconds, can respond from within herself/himself to find meanings.

It only requires being open and allowing the imagination to take hold, as opposed to fixating on the critical voice inside our own heads that tells us this, that, or the other is the only correct way.

I feel the same way about what seems to be a popular way of talking about Mai Mihara. To me, she's an enchanting skater with so much fire and joy. I've even seen where people call her joy "juniorish"! Gah. It's just another way of minimizing something subjective, while pretending to be objective. Personally, I didn't find her Cinderella program last year at all juniorish either; but then I saw the movie, and contrary to what people think, it's an adaptation from an adult perspective.

Personally, I was shocked by the gap between Osmond's and Mihara's scores. But that's another post.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I completely agree. That's why art is art. Every person who watches a performance, reads literature, stands in front of a painting for more than 30 seconds, can respond from within herself/himself to find meanings.

It only requires being open and allowing the imagination to take hold, as opposed to fixating on the critical voice inside our own heads that tells us this, that, or the other is the only correct way.

I feel the same way about what seems to be a popular way of talking about Mai Mihara. To me, she's an enchanting skater with so much fire and joy. I've even seen where people call her joy "juniorish"! Gah. It's just another way of minimizing something subjective, while pretending to be objective. Personally, I didn't find her Cinderella program last year at all juniorish either; but then I saw the movie, and contrary to what people think, it's an adaptation from an adult perspective.

Personally, I was shocked by the gap between Osmond's and Mihara's scores. But that's another post.

in the rink, it made a lot of sense about how both of them scored. as mentioned earlier in my ladies report, Mihara wasn't emoting the same way as we could see on tv for cinderella.... i didn't get any of that from the rink... what I got is a consistent good jumper with some smoothness in her skating that is quite beautiful to watch. Maybe this program has to evolve more for her but with Gabriel's oboe... I was expecting her to shine... it fell flat to me and of course, after 3 notes of black swan, Kaetlyn was already mesmerizing.... so I wasn't surprised at all with the gap in scoring... there is a huge one as well in actual performance qualities. no denial about Mai's wonderful qualities as a skater though but I can see why people call her skating and that of others a juniorish... simply because it doesn't reach to the stands..... though on tv... it probably looked much better.. (I will go back and check the youtube).

chloepoco

Medalist
in the rink, it made a lot of sense about how both of them scored. as mentioned earlier in my ladies report, Mihara wasn't emoting the same way as we could see on tv for cinderella.... i didn't get any of that from the rink... what I got is a consistent good jumper with some smoothness in her skating that is quite beautiful to watch. Maybe this program has to evolve more for her but with Gabriel's oboe... I was expecting her to shine... it fell flat to me and of course, after 3 notes of black swan, Kaetlyn was already mesmerizing.... so I wasn't surprised at all with the gap in scoring... there is a huge one as well in actual performance qualities. no denial about Mai's wonderful qualities as a skater though but I can see why people call her skating and that of others a juniorish... simply because it doesn't reach to the stands..... though on tv... it probably looked much better.. (I will go back and check the youtube).

Not sure about the live vs TV, but to me, Mai was emoting and I loved it! I didn't find Kaetlyn any more mesmerizing than Mai, in fact, as beautiful as Kaetlyn's skating was, I was more mesmerized by Mai's skating.

Barb

Record Breaker

It is the same interpretation that I have read other times about Ashley´s swan program. That movie is the perfect opportunity for all those skaters who are not balletic but who still want to skate with the music of Swan Lake. That said, compared with Alina´s Black Swan, Kaetlyn´s seems a masterpiece for me.

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
Really? In comparison to Kaetlyn's, Alina's is a masterpiece to me. To each their own, I guess.

Ender

Match Penalty
Mihara still looks junior-ish. There is some adorable and young-ish about her that makes people underestimate her.