2017 Canadian Nats Senior Mens FS | Page 11 | Golden Skate

2017 Canadian Nats Senior Mens FS

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
He was propably looking for 3A3T but landing was not perfect so he turned that to 3 jump combo

No, it's because he downgraded his 4T into a 3T so he had to avoid Zayaking. At this he event he did 3A2T2Lo and later a 3Lz2T whereas before he did 3A3T and 3Lz2T2Lo. He could have just done 3A2T without altering the 3Lz combo and that would have been simpler.

But it goes to show he had the presence of mind to avoid Zayaking even as he seemed to be in the zone.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Liam

hard fall on the quad... then nearly take down the camera guy... he does have speed and ice coverage... but dude, that could severely hurt you ... please stay away from the boards... we saw already comments about guys hitting the boards and picking up each other early this week... so if the others, including Patrick adapted, he should have by now as well... I believe that Liam is in an unclear path in his mind...like he is not thinking properly... he is not all there... he could be indeed going through a rough rough time and not have his ideas all clear.... in previous years, I admired the quality of his skating and would be okay with the scores... but after seeing the 3 first groups of men, Liam is not unique.... and many guys have better jumps... so i hope he doesn't get held up...

the score comes up... we are surprised of how high it is... ladies beside me "damn... where did they find that much to give him... "

Nic shows up... Elvis is clearly in the house... OMG... this guy is NUTS... LOVING him... gorgeous triple axel... and then... BANG... quad loop WTH???? i turn to my neighbour who is a coach and i was like... "quad loop????? what???" she nods and says "quad loop!!! WHAT!!!!??!!!" too bad he then tripled what I think was going to be a quad toe... he unfortunately left too many points with not going for all his jumps... and i start thinking about his SP which also had 3A, 4T and some sort of popped loop combo.. OMG... is he doing the 4Loop in the SP too??? I am shocked as I saw a video of him doing the 4Lutz... but yeah... well... Elvis is not only still alive but he does 4Loops. I want his score to be big.. but i know it will be a it lower than we would like it to be because of some of the double jumps he did.... nice to see he was rewarded in PCS... the standing ovation here is bigger than keegan's... huge huge huge fun... everyone is having a blast.... and i am at peace with men now... already two great skates went down and I saw another quad loop ;)

Nam shows up... skates through his program... only mishap on the second quad salchow... huge improvement... he is elated... gives a huge hug to his new coach... however, his SP was much faster in both the skating and the spins.... there is not much of a program also... skates to one end jump... skates to the other end.. jumps... etc

everyone in the house is a bit disappointed that he is overall above Nic but you know... Nic was injured earlier and that probably has had a factor in the jumps he opened up instead of going for... thus losing by a small margin a place on the podium... Do we feel Nic is better than Nam.. YES... but the scores were fair in my opinion. Nam has had his struggles and he shouldn't be penalized and held down for other skaters to get on the podium, if those skaters didn't offer more content.... I think this will be a huge learning experience not only for Nicolas but for Nam himself as well... I think everyone will look at Nic and think... OMG... this is what musical interpretation can be??? WOW!!!... yeah... that is it guys... however, I have to be honest... is Nic too wild??? is he able to keep his focus when going crazy like that??? can he nail all the content and go crazy??? if yes, then we have someone here in Canada who can be a world superstar...

Sorry I was talking about Nam... but really... who would blame me for going back to Nic???? BTW I saw him when I left the building... super tall boy!!!! i don't know what his ISU bio says but he looked a couple inches taller than me so about 6'1 or 6'2.

Elladj... great start with 3a-3t... then what I call a HOW??? WOW!!!! no idea how he managed to land his 1/2 loop combo...
Unfortunately... he didn't repeat his performance from last night... missing even some easier jumps... people want to stand up... they slowly do but it's not really a global feeling.. i think we are just sad... we know he won't be on the podium, not even the national team... sigh... i hope he does get GP assignments next year but we will see... he is such a nice guy and a great performer but not tonight...

Kevin shows up... ladies say.. he should have some quads... i answer... 4 planned... everyone fastens their seat belts... we hope for a great skate... one quad looks UR (the 4S...) and then... 2a... he is a bit slower than yesterday as well... less ice coverage... the quads are impressive but he seems a bit tired too... i think the 3F-2L is a planned 3F-3L as he has done that before but I don't really think it makes a difference really... this is the kind of skating that was great for kevin before his injury... top 5 in the world value... but with so many guys now going for more than 2 quads, even Patrick with 3... it's hard to imagine that he will be able to reach the podium... I was thinking he could before his injury... and he was close one year....but now, all i hope is that he and Patrick go to worlds and do well enough for a 3rd guy to go to the olympics... i think that next year, Nic and Nam will be even better and now that Keegan is on the National team, perhaps that will be a boost for him.. he is another exciting skater for Canada...

Ok ... breather...

Patrick...

I write in my booklet, GO PATRICK.... I show it to the ladies to show them that I believe in Patrick... and also, he tends to do very well when a quadster skates right before him and has a good performance... I'd like Patrick to skate after Kevin or Boyang all the time ;)

music starts... OMG.... seeing the journey live is amazing... I wish i had seen the chopin or elegy live ... and yes, i have seen blackbird live but in this kind of music, Patrick shines even more... just a few movements in and I feel it... Patrick, despite looking nervous, will reach his inner powers... he is in there....

4t-3t.. WOW... 3A ... WOW.... 4S OMG!!! he did it!!!!! i saw it!!!! OMG.... tonight, i got to see 3 specimens of quad... :) yay!!!! sequence is in and i am hoping he doesn't lose focus like at gpf after the 4salchow..... I don't know why he tripled the quad toe... he was perfectly fine in the air but Patrick knows what he can do and yes, he lost about 6-7 points there... but i couldn't care less... this is going to be a 2 quad 2 3A beautiful program... at least that's what I think...

then the 3A comes in...oh... this is interesting... 3A-2t-2l... never seen patrick do this combo before... he usually tags those jumps after the lutz... actually, it's quite a nice jumping pass so i hope he keeps it like this... it allows for some room later... i will discuss that...

patrick's skating is so amazing... everything is flowing, integrated... there are no signs of restraint.. just a pure marriage of movement, emotion and music... the journey is so special seen live... and i was already a fan of it, from seeing it on tv... 3loop.... 3lz-2t.... 3f... all the jumps are down... step sequence:love:

final spin is coming... the crowd is up already... it is the performance of Canadian Nationals... it's over 200... without his 3rd quad... his PCS are well deserved and if you don't think so... fine.. take off a mark or two... still over 200... the reality is that if he skates like this, anywhere in the world, he will get those marks... it was patrick chan at his best, sort of like he was at 4CC last year.

a few thoughts : I saw Patrick do different combos in the warm up... i think that he is getting more open to remain competitive here... as there are more risks than before in his programs, i think he is indeed going to play with the combos.. if he cannot tag the 3t after the 4t, he has done it after the 3A... he does it after the 3Lz as well.. so he is keeping his options open...

i also think that removing the 3 jump combo from the very end of the program is a great idea... the end is much nicer with less jumps as he focuses on the music, choreography, steps and spins... we don't need a 3 jump combo there... and with the lutz being sometimes iffy, sometimes the 2loop at the end was a bit tilted... i prefer it the way he did it tonight...

i think Patrick has fixed many things since GPF... he constantly tries to better himself and to improve his marks. that's the sign of a true champion.. just like D/R keep doing as well.

I am impressed with how quickly he included the 4S into his programs and landed 2 in a row ... wow...

As I said, it was a special moment for me. I wanted to see Patrick compete once in my life... and if my life may be ongoing for a little or long while, Patrick's competitive career will mostly end after PC.. whether or not he wins... if he skates like tonight, I will be satisfied. I feel inspired and motivated like I haven't been to accomplish myself further. He is a true inspiration... Ladies next to me jumped just as high as I did when he finished... there was so much love for Patrick in that arena ... so much that it would wash down anything negative said about him/ his skating... a true model.. a true hero.

Ladies tell stories about when their kids were at Granite club and Patrick would skate with Mr. Colson... how Patrick was mesmerized by him and in awe with his teaching... and how he would better himself everyday..... and i hope that Patrick will do just the same, mesmerize a generation of talent, when he is done what he needs to do with his own skating career....

At the end of the night I think to myself as the medal ceremonies go on... WOW... look at the Canadian national team... this is probably the strongest team we will send at worlds in a very long time... may it generate 3 spots in every discipline for the Olympics.. .may it keep healthy and performing well... may it keep strong and united in the team event ;)

I hope you do not mind the Canadian enthusiasm here... it was our Nationals after all...

ETA : i thought nic tripled a 4t in the far corner... it was just a big triple flip... sorry :)

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
both of you guy are not perfectly correct... see my post...

patrick never does the 3a-3t... because he does the 4t-3t.. like he did tonight... downgrading the 4t into a 3t just means that his repeated jumps are 3t and 3a instead of 4t and 3a...

as i said, i think he is keeping his options open.. because of GPF where twice he fell on the second 4t or 3a and got a huge deduction for REP and no combos... so... as i saw in the warm up... if the 4t is landed in the first pass, whatever jump he can tag will be it... in the warm up... 2t.... in the SP nothing... in the LP 3t... s so in the SP : he put the 3t after the lutz which I like ;) as he gets .43 bonus LOL...

in the LP.. 4t-3t landed... if he had not downgraded the 4t into a 3t... the 3a would still have had 2t-2l ;)

the only way the 3a-3t will show up is if Patrick doesn't do a 3t after either one of his opening quads.

No, it's because he downgraded his 4T into a 3T so he had to avoid Zayaking. At this he event he did 3A2T2Lo and later a 3Lz2T whereas before he did 3A3T and 3Lz2T2Lo. He could have just done 3A2T without altering the 3Lz combo and that would have been simpler.

But it goes to show he had the presence of mind to avoid Zayaking even as he seemed to be in the zone.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Thank you 4everchan for the report that has kept us both up. I forgive you as I go to bed now. Good night all.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
sorry for the delay... i really fell asleep while writing the pairs.... woke up with eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee everywhere lol
Thank you 4everchan for the report that has kept us both up. I forgive you as I go to bed now. Good night all.

noidont

Final Flight
I'm in love with Patrick's LP...With this program I finally forgive him of taking Takahashi's gold.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
so ... i just watched the ctv on youtube...

now i can finally say : you always need to watch a skater in person... but for Patrick.. OMG there is a world of difference...patrick's skating is 1000000 times better in person... and that's not true for everyone... it's a question of camera angle... and speed i think.

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
so ... i just watched the ctv on youtube...

now i can finally say : you always need to watch a skater in person... but for Patrick.. OMG there is a world of difference...patrick's skating is 1000000 times better in person... and that's not true for everyone... it's a question of camera angle... and speed i think.
I would say he looks mighty fine on video as well. Haven't had the chance to watch him live, so I'm a bit jealous naturally. ;) Anyway, very good skate, men's is so very exciting nowadays!

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
I think I need to watch my man Nic right now! :hap85:

EDIT: I've watched. Good SS + beauty 3A = my true Candian love :love:

Last edited:

sunnystars

#teamotherskaters
Record Breaker
currently slayed by Patrick after that LP :love::love::drama::drama::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

Omg his 3A is so far one of his most consistent jump element this season.

LadyB

Record Breaker
Congrats the Patrick, a true Canadian champ! :cool2:
On the one hand I'm sad that Elladj didn't make the podium, but I must admit, I'm totally over the moon that Nam did. Hopefully, it will all fall into place for him after all. Hot & spicy, my son! :hap36:

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
well, well...

I feel like two performances really stood out and would stand out outside of Nationals too.

Nic Nadeau - this is only a preview, a start of something big, excited and successful. No doubt about his talent, about his constantly developing technique, skating skills, but to combine this on a full speed with such mature entertainer value - it's rare and exceptional at age of 19. The whole program concept, the balanced choreography highlighting his showman's flair, his wonderful interaction with audience, both energetic and lyrical qualities of his skating were even more elevated by poised, exuberant skating. His 3A and 4Lo - so much excitement, so much promise, looking overall at his content; I feel that with the right, constant work he's going some reat places sooner than later. As for expression - there is already a star quality and I feel that this is a skater who wins so many hearts with just these performance abilities he has, not mentioning a full package he's developing. It was sassy, full of joy, energetic, so much in character, lyrical and soft in all proper places, yest strong and prominent as he's quite a memorable type of skater I'd say - presence is big, impact of his skating is big, quality is already there. personally, he's a revelation for me in many ways - maturity, control over performance, technical push, vivid expression, musicality, showman flair and a sense of versatility in his skating. He's already very refined skater and performer which is very impressive. Looking at him, he reminds me a mix somewhere between Brian Joubert, Javier Fernandez and Jeffrey Buttle. And - never, even thought I'd say something like that - Javier's Elvis FS should take some extensive notes from Nic's Elvis FS, generic and a bit one-note empty feel of Javier's FS (even with his excellent entertainer's value) is really glaring, comparing it to Nic's performance. Chapeaux bas!

Patrick Chan - as a person who really went a long road to appreciate Patrick's skating, after watching his FS on one single breath, I can say that I'll miss this kind of performances once he'll retire, because now there is no one who can skate/perform the way he does. In times where there is so much hype and agitation over pushing quad game, so much anticipation and pressure put on men to get there quickly, here we have Patrick who does it in his own tempo I feel, skating which may not firing us with quads and maxed technical difficulty, but disarming using his skating as a whole vehicle. Looking at Patrick, I see no separation between his movement, music and performance - there is this sudbued, understated and quite value of his presentation, expression which is not favored by all, but for me it is his signature and I'll remember forever him as a lyrical, skillful master of classial stuff, sad stuff, nostalgic stuff (Elegie, Chopin). There is that flow, airy quality of music transferred into performance, a moment passing too quickly. A sense of over-the-charts sophistication, elegance and maturity in his stance, way he moves, highlighted by Eric's beautiful and captivating music. For me, it's real deal to capture that classical music sense of perfection, timing, multi-dimentional picture created and put in on ice by movement. I really, really hope we'll see his performances like this many times.

TGee

Record Breaker
they found ways to do so... but still not enough to keep him on the national team.. which is a relief... i am not a hater at all... i actually enjoy his skating but Liam needs to go back to the drawing board if he wants to keep skating at a high level... and while he does, that, he shouldn't be going out and competing internationally.

I feel Liam was propped up on the SP....

And feel the same as you and have been since 2014... Was totally impressed by his performance quality in person at nationals that year. (His ex that year was lovely with no jumps at all to speak of.) But questioned their putting him up over Elladj in the FS and giving him the Olympic spot in a nail-biting decision that really crushed Elladj, who actually was landing a quad at that point.

Sending Liam to Sochi was just defendable because he'd relocated and was starting to make progress on his jumps. And SC was trying to send the message to all Canadian men that high quality SS are not optional. But Liam's progress on jumps in the past 3 seasons has been minimal while at the same time, as Patrick has accepted, the tech standard has sharply risen. He's a beautiful skater, but so is Elladj now. And my heart is heavy for the psychological impact of that 2014 decision on Elladj....

Last edited:

ChiquitaBanana

Rinkside
Patrick had a very good program, but I prefer Nicolas, Kevin and Nam (in this order:scratch2:)
Congratulation Patrick!

Kevin was painfull to watch...even with the excellent content he had. The music does not wok for him, he skates blandly. It was a long long program. The dude is good, but that program : NOT. And I was seeing him live.

And Nic... Nic, what a show you put on!

TGee

Record Breaker
Kevin was painfull to watch...even with the excellent content he had. The music does not wok for him, he skates blandly. It was a long long program. The dude is good, but that program : NOT. And I was seeing him live.

And Nic... Nic, what a show you put on!

I'm a real Kevin fan. I find how he can put out quads with virtually no momentum astonishing in its own right.

But I so very much wish he could just train with the ice dancers for a while to learn to sit better on his blades and get speed and flow. He's come so far on SS since his surgery, but like Nam, he is outclassed on SS by just about all the senior men globally.

Joanne MacLeod and her FS team at Champs have to be answerable for this....We see the problem in all of her skaters except those that developed SS elsewhere and then came to them for jumps....And looking at Kevin and Nam, it just isn't something that can be addressed "later" in their development....if it were easy to catch up, they'd have done so by now....

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
both of you guy are not perfectly correct... see my post...

patrick never does the 3a-3t... because he does the 4t-3t.. like he did tonight... downgrading the 4t into a 3t just means that his repeated jumps are 3t and 3a instead of 4t and 3a...

as i said, i think he is keeping his options open.. because of GPF where twice he fell on the second 4t or 3a and got a huge deduction for REP and no combos... so... as i saw in the warm up... if the 4t is landed in the first pass, whatever jump he can tag will be it... in the warm up... 2t.... in the SP nothing... in the LP 3t... s so in the SP : he put the 3t after the lutz which I like ;) as he gets .43 bonus LOL...

in the LP.. 4t-3t landed... if he had not downgraded the 4t into a 3t... the 3a would still have had 2t-2l ;)

the only way the 3a-3t will show up is if Patrick doesn't do a 3t after either one of his opening quads.

Patrick practiced 3A3T during the warmup so I believe that was the intended combo in the program. However, when he downgraded his 4T into a 3T, 3T became one of his 2 repeated jumps so he could not do 3A3T if he was to avoid Zayaking, which he had the presence of mind to do. The second 3A would have been followed by a 2T instead. The interesting part is the placement of 2Lo which he switched from the 3F combo to the 3A combo. I can't say if that was the premeditated plan B but it jived with his tendency to do combo early rather than later, e.g. 4T3T in the SP unless the 4T is not stable, in which case, the late solo jump is turned into the required combo, with bonus for the 3T. :)

I agree with you that the 3A2T2Lo combo was a refreshing surprise as I'd not seen him do it before, or anyone else that I could recall. It was a beautiful part of a beautiful program.

Last edited: