2017 Europeans Ladies FS | Page 52 | Golden Skate

2017 Europeans Ladies FS

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
Prior to Vancouver, her layout included 7 triples, repeating the flip and toeloop, and two 2A, her combos including 3F-3T, 2A-3T.
Since 2011 she did watered down her content (I remember a season when her most difficult jump was 3Loop). However, by Sochi, she had the lutz and the flip back in her programs, but she never went back to a full 7 triples and two 2A if I recall correctly

Yes but she has never skated clean that program, always some mistakes here and there and often even disastrous performances.

Libingbignasca

Spectator
I much more prefer to watch Carolina Kostner's FP than Medvedeva's. it is beautiful. She is art on ice. Her PC should be higher than Medvedeva.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
While watching Kostner´s freeskate I suddenly realized how much I have missed her skating, her glide and interpretation, WOW!!! Congratulations for the bronze medal!!!

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Love the girl but seriously... the score is soo :laugh2: Really, are the gap between them all that big? Does poor or no interpretation actually matter to the PCS overall? Can judges actually 'judge' the difference? The PCS are 10-15 points too high compare to the past. Quality is more than just consistent mediocrity but are they acknowledged correctly?

Artificial or natural or fake, make your own judgement. The sport is getting too ridiculous to be competitive. They are marked according to nationality privilege status rather than what is delivered. People blame Nathen and Boyang Jin's pantomine like young interpretation and think they should receive lower PCS overall, but not for the ladies. Go figure!! Double standard as usual.

Last edited:

jersey1302

On the Ice
Country
Canada
I much more prefer to watch Carolina Kostner's FP than Medvedeva's. it is beautiful. She is art on ice. Her PC should be higher than Medvedeva.

I normally let people have their own opinion on things like this.. but W H A T?!?!.. Sorry I completely dis agree with you. Is Kostner a great skater.. yes.. does she have nice jumps? yes.. is she at Medvedeva's level? NO. I find Kostner much more simple and slower than the top few ladies in Europe. I think she was over scored in this event. I feel the judges gave her a welcome back gift in her marks. Kostner used to be my favourite skater but I find her lacking against some of the top women right now. I think she's going to be in tough at worlds to medal unless she can figure out how to push some scored. I dont think the judges will be as nice.

Meoima

Match Penalty
I normally let people have their own opinion on things like this.. but W H A T?!?!.. Sorry I completely dis agree with you. Is Kostner a great skater.. yes.. does she have nice jumps? yes.. is she at Medvedeva's level? NO. I find Kostner much more simple and slower than the top few ladies in Europe. I think she was over scored in this event. I feel the judges gave her a welcome back gift in her marks. Kostner used to be my favourite skater but I find her lacking against some of the top women right now. I think she's going to be in tough at worlds to medal unless she can figure out how to push some scored. I dont think the judges will be as nice.
Carolina was scored generously at European but so did the Russian girls. If you ask me, yes she was scored too much but she deserves the bronze at European. There is no doubt about it, especially when she stayed on her feet while Sotskova fell 2 times.

curious

Final Flight

You got that right Medvedeva is a far superior skater to Carolina and the rest of the skaters out there. The girl skates at a completely different level,and no amount of jealousy from anyone here can change that. Carolina is the champion of the past,and like you said,the judges were very kind with her here but worlds will be a different kind of reality check story for her.

curious

Final Flight
I forgot to talk about anna pogo and her beautiful progams this season. The best among the ladies,especially her gorgeous short program. The judges almost equating her very difficult free program to Carolina's simple free skate was a travesty.

Last edited:

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
I forgot to talk about anna pogo and her beautiful progams this season. The best among the ladies,especially her gorgeous short program. The judges almost equating her very difficult free program to Carolina's simple free skate was a travesty.

I would agree with this one. Relative scores (may be absolute are too high) of Zhenya (+19 to Caro) and Caro (+18 to Sotskova) seem OK but Anna was lowballed. She should be right in between Caro and Zhenya for the effort they all made. At least she got silver - if she was placed below Caro for the reason of welcome back present it would be a true scandal as Caro already had a farewell present at the expense of Anna.

It's interesting how it will develop. Mao got no leeway on anything once she returned. Looks like Carolina may have more luck.

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
You got that right Medvedeva is a far superior skater to Carolina and the rest of the skaters out there. The girl skates at a completely different level,and no amount of jealousy from anyone here can change that. Carolina is the champion of the past,and like you said,the judges were very kind with her here but worlds will be a different kind of reality check story for her.
Hmm, who's jealous? I thought that the top ladies at Europeans all dealt with the result very gracefully. And what do you mean with "champion of the past"? This is her comeback season, this was her third competition and she did skate very well considering the circumstances. I don't think that Carolina is expecting to medal at Worlds, I don't think she expected to medal here. Sotskova just made too many errors. Or would you have Sotskova in 3rd? :sarcasm:

Everyone in this forum is well aware of the fact that Anna is my favourite Russian skater. But this was not her best competition and she was elated after she knew that she won silver because she knew that Carolina skated very well.
A little reality check for you: if a skater is behind the music for 50% of the program I think that it's natural that the PCS isn't as high as it could be. Or do you think that PCS should be valuated based on the potential a program has and not on the actual performance?

FSGMT

Record Breaker
Wow, I just came back to this thread and I find so much negativity towards Caro... I will not try to discuss her technical content or transitions etc (this has already been done very well), I just want to encourage those who dislike her to appreciate one tiny thing that might make all the difference: look at how subtle and sophisticated and thought-out her programs are. They have no "wow-factor", but I can see that there is an idea behind them, that she's perfectly aware of what she's skating to, of what she's trying to express, and as a consequence all the movements are so secure and controlled and natural at the same time, there is nothing out of place. She is just a skater who loves skating doing what she likes most, and I have enjoyed it with her: I wish you'll do the same, too ;)

Skater Boy

Record Breaker

Give Carolina some time. But her skating skills have not fully come back yet nor her jumps - they aren't as difficult or as big at least yet. I like that she skates like a woman but I do think Med has very good skating skills ; I might not love her programs but then whose program is really all that with the jumps and tech taking so much from them

jersey1302

On the Ice
Country
Canada

Carolina was scored generously at European but so did the Russian girls. If you ask me, yes she was scored too much but she deserves the bronze at European. There is no doubt about it, especially when she stayed on her feet while Sotskova fell 2 times.
Oh no doubt bronze was a good finish for her but I don't agree with the score. After 3rd place the skating wasn't the best. P.s. Anna P's got some serious talent .

Meoima

Match Penalty
Oh no doubt bronze was a good finish for her but I don't agree with the score. After 3rd place the skating wasn't the best. P.s. Anna P's got some serious talent .
As if the scores for other Zhenia were not generous :rolleye:

jersey1302

On the Ice
Country
Canada
oh haha. Well I mean generous or not.. she's pretty perfect.. I'm not even sure you can under score her.. she seems to be more perfect than the last time she skated. You cant even criticize that. She literally didn't put a foot wrong. She's literally the only skater who can portray and entire story in the program and have the audience actually understand it with out even knowing what the program is about prior to that.

Leonardo

Final Flight
She's literally the only skater who can portray and entire story in the program and have the audience actually understand it with out even knowing what the program is about prior to that.

lol, understand it? I watched that program 1000 times, but I can't (I'm sure I'm not the only one) :laugh2: