2017 GP NHK Mens SP | Page 27 | Golden Skate

2017 GP NHK Mens SP

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Adam originally recorded a cover of Rihanna's "Diamonds." But it was nixed at Champs Camp, so the cover (and the SP) hasn't seen the light of day.

Wow.. lol. That would be quite something. It is putting your soul your art, not a bad thing. Eric Radford composes.

But uhmm yeah depends if Adam passed the singing test, otherwise it would have been a bit strange.

whatif

Medalist
The only intrigue here is that if Voronov somehow miraculously wins, he could make some strong case to make the Olympics team.

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
Adam originally recorded a cover of Rihanna's "Diamonds" for his SP, which was actually a competition version of an exhibition he did at Stars on Ice last year. But it was nixed at Champs Camp, so the cover (and the SP) hasn't seen the light of day.

Maybe there's a chance to see it if Adam is invited to the gala? I'm curiuos :party2:

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
Who would have thought that among the russians Dmitri was the worst this season? They are all doing great.

I think this is the best i've ever seen from Voronov: great quality on the jumps, a little more transitions than usual, and the program fits his style. It could have been a deserved PB, but he's there.

No quad lutz but he's still a way better pick than Samarin for the second spot imo.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
The only intrigue here is that if Voronov somehow miraculously wins, he could make some strong case to make the Olympics team.

I would be cool with a Sergei win. I want him on the Olympic team!

gravy

¿No ven quién soy yo?
Record Breaker
In hindsight, it's probably good that Hanyu pulled out of NHK and effectively the GPF. We've already seen his programs a zillion times and seeing them riddled with mistakes while injured wouldn't do him good. And wouldn't do me any good either having to see them more than necessary... :biggrin: Should feel fresher by the time Nationals and the Olympics arrive.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Might as well say it, this could have been such a walk in the park for Hanyu here, even with 3 falls.

Would love Sergei clinch it here. Take all the advantage he can get!
Good luck tomorrow Adam with your beautiful bird program.

Go get them Kazuki tomorrow, hope your PCS rise like the wind. If the Russia newbies ladies can, you can do it too!

bartlebooth

Record Breaker
If he can't even skate his programs clean, like he couldn't in Cup of China... I doubt it. Should be decided after Swedish Nationals in December. But perhaps the Swe oly committe let's him fight for a spot over Europeans.

Fingers crossed for him!

fredtx121

On the Ice
This was definitely a subpar event with no excitement. Just a preview of what will probably be a lackluster Grand Prix Finals and maybe World's if the top men decide not to compete after the Olympics. Please Shoma don't get injured at Skate America-- We need at least 1 top skater there!

QueenOfTheRoad

Final Flight
Country
Germany
Who would have thought that among the russians Dmitri was the worst this season? They are all doing great.

I think this is the best i've ever seen from Voronov: great quality on the jumps, a little more transitions than usual, and the program fits his style. It could have been a deserved PB, but he's there.

No quad lutz but he's still a way better pick than Samarin for the second spot imo.

Have we saw Kovtun this season yet? I think the Russian fed will choose for the second spot someone to help the team to medal. But what they will think is better? "Reliable but not a big potential for great scores" vs "not very reliable but when they hit they get big scores"? Aka Voronov vs Aliev and Kovtun. Samarin is still to new to decide in which category i can put him. I don't think they will use Kolyada for both SP and FS in team competition if the team competition is before the single one.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Could this have been a better event, sure. But to say it was completely bad would completely downplay the fact that Alexei and Sergei had wonderful performances, as did the Hiroki and Kazuko in the first group. Adam had a solid skate too with a bobble.

FS skate order is up and guess who is skating last. It's like tradition: http://www.isuresults.com/results/season1718/gpjpn2017/data0105.htm

Have we saw Kovtun this season yet? I think the Russian fed will choose for the second spot someone to help the team to medal. But what they will think is better? "Reliable but not a big potential for great scores" vs "not very reliable but when they hit they get big scores"? Aka Voronov vs Aliev and Kovtun. Samarin is still to new to decide in which category i can put him. I don't think they will use Kolyada for both SP and FS in team competition if the team competition is before the single one.

Kovtun's scheduled to be at Skate America -- he had to W/D from Skate Canada due to injury and I'm not sure what the status of that injury is at this point. I'm sure someone can brief us. :)

Last edited:

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
This was definitely a subpar event with no excitement. Just a preview of what will probably be a lackluster Grand Prix Finals and maybe World's if the top men decide not to compete after the Olympics. Please Shoma don't get injured at Skate America-- We need at least 1 top skater there!

Internationaux de France. :p

moriel

Record Breaker
Messing in second group? Nice =)

With all those WDs, this event is actually an open door for quite a few skaters.