2017 GP NHK Pairs FS | Page 26 | Golden Skate

2017 GP NHK Pairs FS

Ender

Match Penalty
I am rooting for S/H to win Olympic but I am afraid they might have peaked too early. However maybe they will be like V/T during 2014 Olympic season.

rain

Record Breaker
Caught the Olympic channel video of Sequin and Bilodeau's free skate — they really need to do better research for their broadcasters. The commentator stated that S/B are still searching for their first GP medal, when in fact they won gold at Skate America in 2016 and went to the GPF.

Kind of a big miss...

gold12345

Medalist
No matter how great S/H are, I would still prefer a different FS for them. I can only imagine how they could create something magic and special with a different music. Turnadot, despite her poised expression, does not feel magic. It is a very very good program, but not magic to me (at least not yet?). The overused music does not help.
They definitely deserve a better vehicle.

Alexa is a fantastic pair skater. Quality of her skating is top notch. Her partner is holding her down , but I guess I can only dream on about pairing her with someone else ;).

I agree somewhat about Turandot. Sui/Han seem like the type who could skate to anything, so a very warhorsey choice could be seen as a bit of a letdown. It's hard to make a program a "signature program" when it was a signature program of your coach, as well as many others. But I don't think they are aiming to make a signature program as much as they are trying to win the Olympics. They are a special team, and if they skate Turandot well on the biggest of stages, it's going to be a special moment regardless.

I agree that Alexa is fantastic, but I'll go easy on Chris because they did quietly mention that his health had been an issue leading up to this. He seemed to just be trying to stay on his feet here, and at least he did that. I expect him to jump better later in the season. I think he has improved in other areas, and his genuine connection with Alexa on the ice has grown. They look good together, their lines match, and he's very strong at pair elements, so in many ways he allows Alexa to shine. Your twist and throws are only as good as the guy throwing them. He also keeps her very safe on the ice, which is important for a girl who has said she is a little bit afraid of certain elements (which might stem from the fact that her first partner was weak at some of the pair elements). There aren't many flawless pair skaters out there.

gold12345

Medalist
I am rooting for S/H to win Olympic but I am afraid they might have peaked too early. However maybe they will be like V/T during 2014 Olympic season.

Considering they won Worlds with a fall, they might not even have to be as good as they were at NHK to win the Olympics. It's definitely difficult to duplicate perfect skates though, as Hanyu and others have shown us in the past. A mistake or two for S/H at GPF probably wouldn't be a bad thing. The 3S has never been really reliable, and they might still be able to win everything anyway.

cptnhastings

On the Ice
I love S/H so much. If Savchenko can't win the gold, I'll be very happy to see them as the winners. My favorite Chinese pairs team ever. (Sorry S/Z but it's very true for me.)

I really hope Ziegler/Kiefer stick around another 4 years. I really like them. Though that 3Tw is never getting better. There's other things to pay more attention to.

rain

Record Breaker
It is so funny reading this thread and the dance thread simultaneously. Over here people are worried Sui/Han have peaked too early with a perfect, or near perfect skate, while over there people are chewing their fingernails over Virtue/Moir not skating their FD perfectly (getting all level 4s) yet.

So which one is it? (That's rhetorical)

The Olympics approaching is making sending the overanalysis into overdrive.

rollerblade

Record Breaker
Why? I genuinely find this statement totally baffling. And come on, Sui/Han are hardly newbies.

Why is it baffling though? Michelle was hardly a newbie when she went to her 1st Olympics. Shouldn't she know not to peak too early with a perfect, or near perfect skate, at Nationals? Or know she should have skated to win vs skated not-to-lose?

Both teams are going into this as favorites or co-favorites, and as reigning world champs. You don't think having prior Olympics pressure handling experiences (especially having won the Olympic gold) makes a difference?

loop9497

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Amazing skate by S/H! Stolbova/Klimov are my favorites from the previous Olympics that are still competing, but I truly have enjoyed S/H these last two years so much that I would love for them to win the gold. Wenjing Sui in particular is so fabulous - I love her haircut and her sass/spunkiness (in addition to her and Cong Han's skating). I love their costumes as well. Very well put together team. S/H, S/K, and J/C make me more excited to watch pairs. I've been up and down with D/R but wish them well this season, too.

lucyagogo

On the Ice
That was a wonderful event! Sui/Han are indeed deserved winners. But coming second after them says a lot for Ksenia & Fedor's comeback efforts. They looked gorgeous, they skated gorgeous, I'm totally over the moon! I haven't felt so happy after skating in a long time :laugh:
Congrats to A/R as well, who are improving at every competition. At this rate, I think they should be the third Russian team at Olys.

Completely agree! It was a very good competition and I cannot wait to watch the final.
I also believe A/R deserve to be on the Russian Olys team, not that I dislike Z/E but A/R have been constantly on the top russian pairs with very innovative programs and solid technique.

Heleng

Medalist
Country
United-States
Bravo Sui and Han! :clap::love: While last season's Bridge Over Troubled Waters was a wonderful comeback and touched the hearts of many, including me, in expressing what they had to endure, I think this year's long has more dramatic complexity and is a much more challenging program for them to perform artistically. I could see improvements in their performance even from last week at CoC. I also greatly enjoyed, as always, the excitement and drama of Ksenia and Fedor, who I think skated beautifully in their comeback.

ETA: I forgot to mention Julianne and Charlie! I love these two, great to see them back this season and starting to get back to form.

Over the years I have just lurked, seeing in time that several great thoughts and analyses
are eventually expressed. After watching closely all the Grand Prix events so far, I'm more amazed than ever by all the pairs.
I prefer to enjoy every performance and respect their efforts. Seeing as it is Olympic year I thought I should study more seriously about how to define all their achievements, regardless of detailed rules. I feel honored to watch so many unique partnerships. Seriously how do they do all that stuff? all in timing with one another, true danger a split second away. I bow down to all the pair skaters, and their parents😂.
While lost happily in all the OMG moments I realized it's all spectacular but what is the difference, how can anyone choose between them? Then I watched Sui Han and it felt so obvious, their unison, their togetherness goes far beyond a partnership. I felt that way after COC and couldn't explain it, but this time I was even more amazed. I think I saw some thinking going on by Cong Han, but even then there was a silent communication between them.
My best wishes to the health and safety of all the pair skaters. What a sport!

JustMe

On the Ice
As another uber Sui & Han fan that isn't a fan of the Turandot music choice, I have to admit, when they skate almost perfect like this, who cares about the music! They are are an exiting pair to watch, and as a fan, watching my favorites go clean is electrifying!
Stolbova & Klimov, wow! I know Carmen is overused (as is Turandot), but I think I enjoyed this program better (or maybe I was just excited for them that they finally skated well), lol.
You know, I just really like it when skaters skate their best and we don't have to sit through a splatfest! :p

3T3T

Final Flight
Country
Ireland
I’m probably a bit to late to this thread but would like to say how much I enjoyed this competition. S/H are definitely on great form but I’m still not convinced this free and Turandot is the best vehicle for them. They really have transformed from their junior days, especially her, she is one fierce diva now.

Delighted to see S/K returning to form. I was not to impressed when I heard they were skating to Carmen but they do it really well and it feels fresh and modern. The role definitely suits her and she seems to be enjoying it. They are improving week by week, the twist still needs work but they will get there. If they can nail the 3-3-2 nailed that will only help boost their scores. Looking forward to them in the GPF.

A/R have really stepped up this season and I feel are now genuine contenders for the Russian Olympic team (if Russia is allowed enter😱) I like LaLa Land for them, it has a really light and breezy feel and it suits them. Z/E should be worried at this stage, they are not skating as well as last year.

It was nice to see S/B back competing well. They have a change in style this year. I found the free a bit lovey dovey and not really them, it kinda felt like a Montreal programme and lo and behold Patrice Lauzon is in the K&C. I am not a bit worried for I/M and their chances of making the Canadian team, they haven’t looked in good form so and MT/M2 have improved this year, even though I would have them a distant 4th in Canada.