2017 U.S. Nationals Championship Ladies FS | Page 69 | Golden Skate

2017 U.S. Nationals Championship Ladies FS

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Oh wow - now we're saying Gracie is clinically depressed? I'm quite sure that her father, being a physician, would be more informed about that than any poster on this board. As for my Tootsie reference, people are teeing off on her as if its their job - which doesn't make it right anymore than criticizing Johnny. We're all guilty of assuming what's wrong with her and what she needs to do about it. We're all being "bad babies!" I'm being hypocritical by even staying in this thread. Adios.
P.S. Her mom is an ER nurse. Bet she's seen truly depressed people. Just saying.

Gracie's dad is a DENTIST, so no, I don't think he is necessarily an expert on clinical depression. And seeing other depressed people in an ER setting doesn't mean her mother can recognize the signs in her own daughter.

Gracie is at an age when the first signs of clinical depression often appear. According to some studies, as many as 25% of college students suffer from depression. Postponing and skipping training and no longer seeming to enjoy skating are signs she is depressed, and the end result is poor performance. Then she blames herself for skating poorly and becomes even more depressed.

Gracie does read these boards, and I am appalled that she reads all the mean things that are said about her.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Wow! NBC just reported that Frank fired Gracie this morning! Guess he wanted to beat her to the punch. 😯

skatelikewind1966

On the Ice
Gracie's dad is a DENTIST, so no, I don't think he is necessarily an expert on clinical depression. And seeing other depressed people in an ER setting doesn't mean her mother can recognize the signs in her own daughter.

Gracie is at an age when the first signs of clinical depression often appear. According to some studies, as many as 25% of college students suffer from depression. Postponing and skipping training and no longer seeming to enjoy skating are signs she is depressed, and the end result is poor performance. Then she blames herself for skating poorly and becomes even more depressed.

Gracie does read these boards, and I am appalled that she reads all the mean things that are said about her.

a dentist, not even a doctor....lol. And if she reads these boards then shame on her! She needs to know that no one here knows anything about figure skating (though they seem like they might at times) which is why we are all posting here rather than skating in KC! Gracie, I hope that you STOP reading anything associated with figure skating and focus only on the Bible for you are a special, talented young lady!

Last edited:

princessalica

Final Flight
The Shibs' dad was an anesthesiologist. (I'm literally bringing nothing to the conversation here).

I just checked wikipedia. He's an anesthesiologist, not a dentist. He's actually the director of anesthesiology at Passavant Hospital in Jacksonville, Illinois.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
She should finish below Caroline Zhang with that skate.

I'm predicting a coaching change on the very near horizon.

Wow, you're two for two on calling it! And "very near" = less than 24 hours!

zschultz1986

Final Flight
I have never been so disappointed by a figure skating competition.

In what way was it disappointing? Ashley skated okay. Karen skated great. Caroline Zhang had a great skate. Mariah held it together. Gracie has been skating like that all year (hope you get that happiness back!) The only one who I felt any disappointment from was Mirai, and that's because I wanted it so bad for her.

You obviously never saw the 2006 Women's (outside of Kimmie) and Men's Worlds (outside of Lambiel, but all the men skated rough.) or 2008 Men's Worlds (outside of Buttle) or 2009 Men's Worlds (Evan Lysacek's worlds win was a combination of him skating clean and having a rather weak field. No Takahashi, No Buttle, No Lambiel.) 2012 Women's Worlds. 2012 Women's Worlds in particular. Any Worlds where Alena Leonova is your silver medalist, and there's no Yuna or Mao, you know the field was thin, or there was a splatfest. All of these were rather disappointing competitions. However, I could probably pick out one (or two) stand out performances from them. Not every competition is going to be like the 2010 Olympics, where the entire last flight of women skated lights out. In fact, I think out of the last two flights of women, there was only one or two bad performances, which was amazing.

Off-Topic: Evan Lysacek really lucked out. The better version of him (Buttle) retired after winning 2008 Worlds, Lambiel was on the decline and then retired briefly before coming back for Vancouver, and there was no Plushenko to deal with until Vancouver. 2006-2010 was really a down Quadrennium for the men.

Last edited:

kalee

On the Ice
I was freaking out last night over this as I realized she won't even get an automatic bye to Nationals next year. Will she even get a Grand Prix assignment?
Not to fear... :console: Gracie will remain in the top 24 world standings, and so be guaranteed at least 1 GP next season according to ISU rules. So she still will have the door open to compete internationally and get her bye to nationals next year. This season has been a total disaster for her so far, so having that security makes it all the more a better time for her to sit out, reflect and regroup this spring & summer.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
He fired her, the Frank Carroll way. All very civilized and correct, saying "I hope it will end graciously, because we both deserve that."

http://www.icenetwork.com/news/2017/01/22/214115550/carroll-says-he-will-no-longer-be-golds-coach
I am not so sure Mr. Carroll was all that civil. There are two sides to every story; I thought Gracie was very gracious and professional. But you don't talk about things before they are done , and if true, without talking to the pupil first.

I think Frank is a very good coach but for specific personalities. WE never really got the dirt on Michelle's split with him. And it is very apparent he is a very strong willed, opinionated coach. Watch him with past skaters including Bowman - he let out comments to the public that should not have been made but he is Frank.

The season is "over"basically for GRacie and now the healing will hopefully come.