2017 Worlds Men's FS | Page 87 | Golden Skate

2017 Worlds Men's FS

cleo2070

Final Flight
For the LP? Isn't that the exact podium that won? Strange...

I believe it's in the rules?

In accordance with Rule 134, paragraph 3 f), a small ISU gold medal will be awarded to the winner of each
event (Short Program and Free Skating for Ladies, Men and Pairs and Short Dance and Free Dance for Ice
Dance) and small silver and bronze medals to the second and third in each category, but no anthem will be
played or flags raised. The distribution will be made according to Rule 134, paragraph 3f).
- from the Announcement for Worlds on the ISU website, p. 18

cleo2070

Final Flight
^
But really, until this morning when I was checking the page ISU website, I hadn't known about it :)))

Rissa

Record Breaker
Jin fine technically and cute but really those PCSs are way too high. People talk about Nathan's inflated component scores but really is Jin THAT good???

I guess they had to score him like that after Nathan. Lots of guys get overscored on PCS and lots of guys got underscored in earlier flights.

But live Jin's program was really engaging, audience , loved it and gave him standing o, so it might have influenced the judges.

TMC

Record Breaker
I guess they had to score him like that after Nathan. Lots of guys get overscored on PCS and lots of guys got underscored in earlier flights.

But live Jin's program was really engaging, audience , loved it and gave him standing o, so it might have influenced the judges.

Having seen both in person, I don't think Jin was that much overscored. If anything there should have been a bigger gap; I'd have given Chen 79-80 and Jin 84-85.

Jin's SS are really surprisingly good, and he really did 'radiate energy resulting in an invisible connection with the audience'. The crowd stood up as one at the end.

Eclair

Medalist

yes, I thought so too. I think the judges went a little overboard with Nathan PCS in the long and had to score Boyang above that :) But either way, it wouldn't have changed the final result, therefore no great harm was done :) Happy for Boyang! :luv17:

Sabrina

Record Breaker
I don't think Boyanng PCS are too high. On the contrary, at least at this Worlds, his program was outstanding. His PCS should be at least the same as Nathan, if not higher. Unfortunately Nathan couldn't reproduce his outstanding program from the Nationals. When the jumps don't work, the music becomes overpowering. This happened at this worlds. It was so unfortunate...I picked Nathan as the winner:(

da96103

Record Breaker
The following is the report of the Men's Competition by MOHIR

MOHIR'S REPORT: I love those quad meals but my favorite is Yuzuru's big bowl of gravy

I arrived at Helsinki after taking Ice Rink Monsters' Airline. I found a nice spot under the ice for my meals.

Nathan Chen: I didn't think Nathan would be giving me any meals. The kid must have been nervous. Poor lad having to carry the weight of the hopes and dreams of US. Nathan was the first to give me a delicious triple andouillette from the La Corsaire plate. Two days later, Prince Igor gave me a Polovtsian plate of quadruple langoustine and a quadruple soufflé with lots of wobbling gravy from quadruple truffles and triple langoustine.

Patrick Chen: Patrick did not give me anything from his Beatles plate. However, disaster struck his Radford plate, producing overflowing gravy from the triple andouillette and quadruple truffle.

Javier Fernandez: Javier's Malaguena plate was clean as whistle. But the Elvis plate was the full to the brim with quadruple soufflé and gravy from soufflé, foie gras and lollipop.

Boyang Jin: Boyang Jin is the stingiest of all the skaters. Two clean plates from Spiderman and La Strada. There was nothing to eat at all from this kid.

Shoma Uno: Shoma's Ladies in Lavender plate was clean. He could have won the competition if he had given me a clean plate from Piazolla. Alas there were two small gravy stains from quadruple truffle and triple langoustine.

Yuzuru Hanyu: Yuzuru gave me a big bowl of quadruple soufflé gravy which is my favorite from his Prince plate. But Hope and Glory plate was so clean that I could see my own reflection.

I had a lot of meals and gravy from other skaters as well. This was a good competition for good food. I wish all the best to GRIM for Olympics 2018.

spaceloverobots

Spectator
I like Shoma too, but Yuzu has the X Factor: that rare, indefinable performance quality that elevates his skating to a sublime level. You can't take your eyes off him when he skates. Fills the arena with his presence. Mesmerizing.
See, that's how I feel about Shoma! I love his expressiveness. He seems so shy off the ice but when he's skating he really takes on the persona of the routine. Yuzu did brilliant too, but for some reason Shoma always catches my eye most.

Lambari

Final Flight
Both Yuzuru and Shoma have eye-catching presence but for different reasons and styles.

Both have people that can see that X-Factor in them, whatever it is. It just depends on what you favour.

Some just gush about how Shoma is an absolute artist and has the most intense presentation and deserves all the PCS, and others how Yuzuru's poweress and musicality combined with his unique delicacy seems out of this galaxy. I don't think that in this case it's about one being absolutely "better" in presentation than the other.

For me I just can't be a Shoma fan maybe because his torso feels tense and his face is intense/concentrated regardless of the theme, it's part of his aesthetics. Although for some it can be a positive in his presentation, it's not my preference. It's more fitting for his FS theme I hate tangos though, and the music is a no but I feel it's usually out of place in his SPs, Ladies in Lavender is a bit too soft for his style in my opinion. but I love his blue costume to bits. However, his arms are pleasing and his performances overall feel very polished so this doesn't stop me from seeing what qualities he has that can attract other people. It's evident how he's proficient in his presentation, even if it has no effect emotionally on me.

Nika09

On the Ice
After rewatching G4 LP session:
-Patricks LP and the music is so beautiful, so touching! What a pity he couldn't do his best here. But his costumes...I mean he has some style I get it but it's getting harder to distinguish them from practice outfits.
-Also like Javis LP. More than Malagueña. Glad even with so many mistakes, he was able to deliver it to audience. It fits him and was so catchy and entertaining.
-Boyang...well he looks happy to me. He was happy skating LP, he was happy in "winners" room and he certainly looks happy with his bronze. And I feel happy watching him. He's almost my role model, just keep calm and be happy! And that 4Lz!! But someone for the Spidermans sake do something with his transitions and spins :palmf:
-I really don't know what to say about Nathans program...Well his just 17 y/o, sure there will be better ones in future. But please no more quads!
-Shoma's LP is my fav this season, but I think he performed best version of it in Marseille. Particularly "spread eagle-3A" moment right into music beat was awesome there at GPF.
-I like clean version of Yuzurus LP. He worked so hard for and result worth it. Just love 3A-2T (even if I'm little allergic to tanos these days :laugh:) and 3A-Lo-3S moments, so easy, mesmerizing! It was Hope all season now it's Legasy.
Seimei I like more though. But not sure want to see either of them at Olymics. He got WR with both and I think that's enough and should go on. I prefer to see Prince SP (to watch perfect version of it) again, with the changes (including different costume) like they've done with Chopin SP (the one that I fall in love with, Masterpiece) but not sure they're gonna keep it.

Anyway it was mind blowing Men's battle for Worlds title! Good Luck to all boys in new Olympic Season, be healthy and show amazing performances!

Last edited:

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
I don't think Boyanng PCS are too high. On the contrary, at least at this Worlds, his program was outstanding.

DISAGREE heavily with this. Technically it was the best he has ever skated, but the second half of his program is total garbage (skates through the music, choreography is nothing but shallow pantomime, no transitions to speak of) and overall the performance really lacks extension and cohesion, with noticeably shallower skating skills being displayed than in the Short Program. He certainly deserved his medal for the technical display, but PCS should have been in the 6's or low 7's at most for transitions/choreography/interpretation, about 7.5 for skating skills, and then an 8 at most for performance, just for the relatively good amount of energy and overall cleanliness. So overall a max of about 74 for total PCS (he got an 86).

Blades of Passion

Record Breaker
Country
France
Also, with regards to the individual judges, the Spanish judge was the only one to properly hammer Boyang on a couple of the components (they went very low on Transitions and Interpretation). Maybe it can be said they did this to protect Javier's podium chance, but ultimately it ended up being the best judging from anyone.

^ If you say so. Still, Jin's is the program that I will watch over and over just for the fun of it.

As for Nathan, I can understand twhy people might say, "See, without hitting on all of his quads, his program isn't much." To me, this is not a criticism of the program. It just means, hit those quads. :yes:

icybear

Medalist
DISAGREE heavily with this. Technically it was the best he has ever skated, but the second half of his program is total garbage (skates through the music, choreography is nothing but shallow pantomime, no transitions to speak of) and overall the performance really lacks extension and cohesion, with noticeably shallower skating skills being displayed than in the Short Program. He certainly deserved his medal for the technical display, but PCS should have been in the 6's or low 7's at most for transitions/choreography/interpretation, about 7.5 for skating skills, and then an 8 at most for performance, just for the relatively good amount of energy and overall cleanliness. So overall a max of about 74 for total PCS (he got an 86).

I think it is uncalled for to diss his program as total garbage. Have some respect.

Blades of Passion

Record Breaker
Country
France
Still, Jin's is the program that I will watch over and over just for the fun of it.

But why, when Daisuke Takahashi skated to this same music SO much better in 2010?

I mean, Boyang's Quad Lutz is the best jump ever and makes for such a magnificent opening, but after that he generally skated like a gawky freshman at his first high school musical in comparison to Takahashi. :confused2:

I think it is uncalled for to diss his program as total garbage. Have some respect.

I do have respect - for actual choreography and artistry and good skating, of which the second half of his program was barren of.

Last edited:

itiahs

Rinkside
For me I just can't be a Shoma fan maybe because his torso feels tense and his face is intense/concentrated regardless of the theme, it's part of his aesthetics. Although for some it can be a positive in his presentation, it's not my preference. It's more fitting for his FS theme I hate tangos though, and the music is a no but I feel it's usually out of place in his SPs, Ladies in Lavender is a bit too soft for his style in my opinion. but I love his blue costume to bits. However, his arms are pleasing and his performances overall feel very polished so this doesn't stop me from seeing what qualities he has that can attract other people. It's evident how he's proficient in his presentation, even if it has no effect emotionally on me.

100% agree with this. Another negative for me this time was that in the arena his screechy violin music SP & FS physically hurt my ears, ugh.

xibsuarz

Record Breaker
So in these 4 years, the skater leading after the SP never won the title. Talk about it not being over until it's over. :)
The last group as incredible, even with a some mistakes from half of them, they were all still good performances (when scoring 190+ leaves you off the podium :reye: )
There is nothing that I can say about Yuzuru's fantastic FS that hasn't been said yet. All I can say is that I'm so glad he finally got out a performance he could be satisfied with this season, and that it happened at Worlds :yes:
Shoma was amazing! For a second I thought he had it there, but a silver medal on his second senior season is nothing to scoff at. Specially after how sad he was last year with this FS.
I want to apologize for not believing in Boyang and placing him off the podium in my predictions. I should have never doubted him :biggrin:
A sad outcome for Javier and Patrick, their performances weren't even bad, but the medalists threw it out the window and a "good" program wasn't going to cut it. Now Patrick was expressed his desire to upgrade his tech content next season, I wonder if Javier is at least considering it. Or if he still wants to rely on trying to go clean, since technically, the score he got for his last truly clean FS would have been enough to win even if he lost the FS.
Nathan, well for one, it sucks that he got boot problems out of all thing right before the most important event of the season. It's only his first senior Worlds and he had so much pressure on him (perhaps more so than any other in this discipline), this will be a good learning experience for him.

And well, outside of that group, Jason's FS was beautiful :yes: too bad about that loop and the quad, but I just love this FS so much I can ignore those mistakes and enjoy his performance with a smile.

And my predictions went down the drain but who cares, anyway. It's not like we ever expect a predictable result in the men's event :biggrin:

Lambari

Final Flight
100% agree with this. Another negative for me this time was that in the arena his screechy violin music SP & FS physically hurt my ears, ugh.

Terrible. Did it happen with other skaters too? Probably the arena acoustics didn't help, or maybe you sat close to the speakers (?). Commenting on the music is very subjective so I try not to use it to evaluate if I like a skater or not, even if it's a hard task. I like Han Yan, even though his R&J remix makes no sense, hate La Strada and his choreo, and Bublé versions but I'm fond of Boyangman. Hate Elvis, but somehow unapologetically loved Nic Nadeau's cheese of a program. I like Ladies in Lavender though, Mao's version remains one of my favourite programs.

With Shoma at the beginning, I swear I really couldn't finish his FS because of the music. I think it was at the GPF where I finally watched it whole. It took me the whole season to bear with it, but now even though the program won't be my favourite, I find it amusing in a latin american soap opera kind of way. k (I don't mean in a derogatory way)

Some moments that I like in Shoma's FS are: this , the timing of the 3A of course, this section, starting with the spread eagle from outside to inside, until 4:18 but then she starts to scream. :laugh:
There's several people who absolutely love Shoma's FS also, just like i'm a sucker for Yuzuru's H&L.

But why, when Daisuke Takahashi skated to this same music SO much better in 2010?

I mean, Boyang's Quad Lutz is the best jump ever and makes for such a magnificent opening, but after that he generally skated like a gawky freshman at his first high school musical...

That must be it! Boyang takes me back to when I was a gawky freshman. (Now I am a nerdy senior. :) )