2017 Worlds Men's SP | Page 99 | Golden Skate

2017 Worlds Men's SP

Anyasnake

Record Breaker
We're in Europe, and Javier will skate last. No matter what shoma does in the free, the judges will put Fernandez ahead knowing what it takes. That's my opinion

Hanyu had a 12-point lead last year. Anything can happen.
BUT if Javier is clean (and I don't mean squicky clean just what's ecessary) then, YES, it's in the bag.

TerpsichoreFS

Marin Honda's skating skills
Final Flight
I wish these allegedly biased European judges would be a lot nicer to Deniss, Moris, Alexei, Michal, etc. and less generous with the US men.

You're right, there does seem to be a divide between the judges and eastern Europe. Also Alexei Bychenko? Not really Europe.

- - - Updated - - -

Hanyu had a 12-point lead last year. Anything can happen.
BUT if Javier is clean (and I don't mean squicky clean just what's ecessary) then, YES, it's in the bag.

Hanyu was made to skate second. Javier won't have that problem

xeyra

Constant state
Record Breaker
If everyone skates cleanly in the LP the medals will probably end up as:

Gold- Fernandez
Silver- Hanyu (he would pass Uno and Chan at his current deficit skating cleanly IMO, even if they also do, and he would likely win the LP over Fernandez too but never make up the current deficit)
Bronze- Uno
4th- Chan
5th- Chen (he might beat Uno and Chan in the LP but never by enough)

If Nathan lands all his 6-quads, he might out BV quite a lot of people's advantages, regardless of PCS. But if Javi goes even relatively clean, he's got this in the bag. Unless he does another European. But even then....

Sabrina

Record Breaker
Wow, what a gorgeous SP! So many perfect programs...I would give more GOE and PCS to Boyang. He had the best presentation among the big guys! His steps and spins have improved so much. Still being 4th is great in this crazy competition. I'll only put Boyang very close (less than 1 point) to Chan. Boyang should have been scored close to 101-102 pts. His 4Lz3T was insane, and he didn't put a foot wrong.

Anyasnake

Record Breaker
You're right, there does seem to be a divide between the judges and eastern Europe. Also Alexei Bychenko? Not really Europe.

- - - Updated - - -

Hanyu was made to skate second. Javier won't have that problem

But even Javier skated before Yuzuru, withe the same LPs, this wouldn't have changed. The difference was enormous. I'm just saying ice is slippery and I almost took Yuzuru's SP for granted last year so I'm afraid to make the same mistake :rolleye:

Spot

On the Ice
So, back from my very first live skating event and it was amazing! I really enjoyed so many programs, it would take too long to list them...but interestingly - to me anyway - it was Jason Brown I enjoyed the most!
Thanks to everyone who was there and helped make this such a fun atmosphere...much better than any other sporting event I have attended:).

Seren

Wakabond Forever
Record Breaker
After this SP it's hard to make any sort of prediction. 10 points is nothing. When you look at the massive scores some of these quads can earn (or lose), anything can happen. I wouldn't be surprised to see a win from any of the top 6 (minus maybe Jin, I think that would surprise me). The free is going to be epic.

And Jason played it smart. His SP landed him with a good score and in the top 10 where he needs to be. I think he'll go for the quad in the long but it wasn't worth the risk in the short.

Last edited:

da96103

Record Breaker
So, back from my very first live skating event and it was amazing! I really enjoyed so many programs, it would take too long to list them...but interestingly - to me anyway - it was Jason Brown I enjoyed the most!
Thanks to everyone who was there and helped make this such a fun atmosphere...much better than any other sporting event I have attended:).

You are so lucky. Your first is also one of the very best.

bobbob

Medalist
Everything is so close...even though I'm not a huge fan of Javier's skating and think he is more show than skating, he did have a wonderful performance today and deserved to be in first. Shoma, Patrick, and Boyang were also excellent, Patrick probably should have the highest PCS of the night--simply stunning. Too bad for Yuzuru and Nathan, though they are in striking distance. Jason got the highest score EVER for a program without a quad, not sure what to make of that...he definitely benefited from skating later.

Spot

On the Ice
Everything is so close...even though I'm not a huge fan of Javier's skating and think he is more show than skating, he did have a wonderful performance today and deserved to be in first. Shoma, Patrick, and Boyang were also excellent, Patrick probably should have the highest PCS of the night--simply stunning. Too bad for Yuzuru and Nathan, though they are in striking distance. Jason got the highest score EVER for a program without a quad, not sure what to make of that...he definitely benefited from skating later.

Speaking only about Jason...he was incredible to me live...for me definitely worthy of his score just based on overall impression, without going into any details :).

andromache

Record Breaker

Small federations are always at a disadvantage, unfortunately. Javi has gotten where he is partially through sheer talent/ability/improvement, having Morozov and then Orser for coaches (well-known coaches can help overcome being from a small fed) and years and years and years of disappointing results that he improved on year after year after year. Small fed skaters need to work harder and improve more in order to be given recognition by the judges.

And since North America and Asia have become so dominant in men's skating, Javi has become the clear #1 European men for years now. Having less internal competition makes it easier to win those prestigious European titles, and that matters.

At the top echelon of skaters at Worlds, I wouldn't be surprised to see some minor European bias. Inconsequential skating countries need to stick together. It'll be interesting to see how pairs shakes out.

Deniss and Moris (and Daniel Samohin, who isn't here) could all be the next Javier regarding his trajectory. Michal and Alexei are both a little too old at this point and just haven't improved from year to year like Javi has. But the young men from small feds all have to put in the years that Javi has in order to get the recognition they deserve, unfortunately.

TerpsichoreFS

Marin Honda's skating skills
Final Flight
Small federations are always at a disadvantage, unfortunately. Javi has gotten where he is partially through sheer talent/ability/improvement, having Morozov and then Orser for coaches (well-known coaches can help overcome being from a small fed) and years and years and years of disappointing results that he improved on year after year after year. Small fed skaters need to work harder and improve more in order to be given recognition by the judges.

And since North America and Asia have become so dominant in men's skating, Javi has become the clear #1 European men for years now. Having less internal competition makes it easier to win those prestigious European titles, and that matters.

At the top echelon of skaters at Worlds, I wouldn't be surprised to see some minor European bias. Inconsequential skating countries need to stick together. It'll be interesting to see how pairs shakes out.

Deniss and Moris (and Daniel Samohin, who isn't here) could all be the next Javier regarding his trajectory. Michal and Alexei are both a little too old at this point and just haven't improved from year to year like Javi has. But the young men from small feds all have to put in the years that Javi has in order to get the recognition they deserve, unfortunately.

Small feds sticking together sounds about right. I wonder what would happen one day if we had judges from NK, SK and Philippines + Japan. Also I wonder where that leaves Russia but they probably don't need anyone lol

Bcash

Final Flight
Goddess me :shocked: Shoma got 2.29 for his 3A while Fernandez 3.00 ?? How is that possible? Kiddos was just robbed

Shoma had a late check and hence a bit of a swing on his landing (kinda habit from him). But I think Hanyu's 3A definitely should've been +3 across the board. Javi's 3A landing was not as perfect as Hanyu's tbh.

Bcash

Final Flight
I actually like, no just love Hanyu's Prince program and wanna them to little change and keep it for another season (don't kill me :slink:) just to watch totally clean version of it.

And love Shoma's FS, so please skate it clean , you can do it!!

I think it's a great program and could be kept for him to skate to its full potential, but it's a bit too similar in tone and mood to his 2014 Olympic SP.

Bcash

Final Flight
I'm watching ES recap of Men event. It's amazing. Mika and Boyang were spectacular. Boyang 4Lz3T is gonna be legendary, really.

Yet only +1 for GOE compared to Nathan's +2s and 3s. I thought Boyang Jin's was smoother today.

andromache

Record Breaker
Small feds sticking together sounds about right. I wonder what would happen one day if we had judges from NK, SK and Philippines + Japan. Also I wonder where that leaves Russia but they probably don't need anyone lol

Russia/Canada/Japan/US are all the "big feds" that don't need anyone.

I do think Javi is advantaged by not having a Russian powerhouse man to compete against him in Europe though. It would be harder for him to dominate Europe if Russian men's skating wasn't in a weaker era. (I won't be surprised if he is retired before the current Russian juniors start dominating). Javier is probably the successor to Stephane Lambiel (small European fed), and one of the reasons Javier has been more successful than Stephane is that Stephane had to deal with Plushenko dominating Europe.

treeloving

Medalist
Seeing the skating order in fs, my last hope of Yuzu comeback win is down to less than 5%. I still hope he will release his Asura though.

Sabrina

Record Breaker
I could not agree more to the fact that small federation have a big negative influence in scores (GOE and PCS). I'll give some examples, Misha Ge (Uzbekistan), Denis 10 (he, like Javi, had to climb a lot...). Gorgeus skaters from Latvia, Philippines, Malaysia...some struggle to qualify to LP, and not because they have a bad skate.
I love Jason Brown, but had he represented Byrbistan (I don't want to pick up a real country) he wouldn't score so high...