2017 Worlds Pairs pre-event thread | Golden Skate

2017 Worlds Pairs pre-event thread

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Worlds will be a battle royale for our pairs! Who will come up on top?

Nathan13

Medalist
This is THE EVENT of the Year!!!! I'm so excited for this--Savchenko and Massot, Tarasova and Morozov, Duhamel and Radford, Stolbova and Klimov, James and Cipres, Sui and Han, Yu and Zhang, Iliushechkina and Moscovitch, Scimeca and Knierim, Zabiiako and Enbert, Denney and Frazier, Duskova and Bidar--this is better than I can remember in recent years. It's also exciting because we can't say "if X goes clean, then it's their's to lose," because the talent is spread in this field. Personally, I am pulling for Aliona and Bruno, because both of their programs are masterpieces, the free especially. But who knows what the status of her ankle is. My dream podium is: 1) Savchenko/Massot, 2) Sui/Han, 3) Tarasova/Morozov.

Ziotic

Medalist
Maybe this is a silly question or I just missed it somewhere else, but have the pairs for China been officially selected?

bobbob

Medalist
Maybe this is a silly question or I just missed it somewhere else, but have the pairs for China been officially selected?

Sui/Han and Yu/Jin, but I'm not sure if it has been officially announced anywhere.

QuadThrow

Medalist
Oh! Pairs is going to be so exiting! I think four pairs have the chance of Gold: S/M, D/R, S/H and T/M. The chances for D/R are really low. Their components have been quite weak and the 3Lz have been inconsistent. S/M have the best programs and Aljona will definitly go for the 3ATh (and her 10th medal)! I hope that they ditchs the 4STh and worked on the 4Tw. But we never know. S/H have the best chances for Gold. She only has to land the 3S. T/M are very consistent but their FP is so :palmf:. I hope they will not win with this program.

There are still 5 pairs who have the chance for a medal: S/K, J/C, Y/Z, Sc/Kn, I/M. What a competition this is turning out to be.

IMO not sending Yu/Zhang would be mistake made by the Chinese Federation. Yu/Zhang´s potential for PoengChang is much bigger than Peng/Jin´s. They have already tried the 4Tw and they need this championships to present themselves.

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
This is THE EVENT of the Year!!!! I'm so excited for this--Savchenko and Massot, Tarasova and Morozov, Duhamel and Radford, Stolbova and Klimov, James and Cipres, Sui and Han, Yu and Zhang, Iliushechkina and Moscovitch, Scimeca and Knierim, Zabiiako and Enbert, Denney and Frazier, Duskova and Bidar--this is better than I can remember in recent years. It's also exciting because we can't say "if X goes clean, then it's their's to lose," because the talent is spread in this field. Personally, I am pulling for Aliona and Bruno, because both of their programs are masterpieces, the free especially. But who knows what the status of her ankle is. My dream podium is: 1) Savchenko/Massot, 2) Sui/Han, 3) Tarasova/Morozov.

Agree 200% ! :2thumbs: I'm super excited for this! The level should mind blowing! :cheer: Though my dream podium would be a little different ;)

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Agree 200% ! :2thumbs: I'm super excited for this! The level should mind blowing! :cheer: Though my dream podium would be a little different ;)

my dream podium is very different ;)

what about last year??? we had a great roster last year!!!

I think people forget one very important thing about pairs... unlike men or ladies and dance, there are maybe 8-10 great teams... so all year, with GPs and Euros's and 4cc, pairs are always evenly divided... so worlds is the only time where all competitors are there.... even GPF doesn't mean as much since the draw can be "interesting" with seeded people not competing or what not...

So yeah... finally, at worlds, we get a full line-up of incredible teams.

D/R have been working really hard... and on details... they just posted a flawless 3z-2t combo and a new death spiral entrance. i think everyone is working hard.. it will be very exciting....

i am thinking the podium will have sui-han, D/R and S/M... that's actually a good podium for me... a dream podium would have 2 canadian teams on it ;) muahaha :)

bobbob

Medalist
My predictions
1. Sui/Han
2. Savchenko/Massot
3. Tarasova/Morosov
4. Stolbova/Klimov
5. Yu/Zhang
6. Duhamel/Radford
7. James/Cipres
8. Ilyushechkina/Moscovitch
9. Seguin/Bilodeau
10. Scimeca/Kniriem
Probably switch 3 and 4 for dream podium...

Sui and Han only have one showing this year but they seem so consistent...if she lands her 3S SBS in the free, I could see them running away with this, maybe even scoring in the 235-240 range. Savchenko and Massot can compare if clean (they have the best choreographed programs, too), but to go clean they have high risk elements for them and it just doesn't seem as likely. Tarasova and Morosov seem unflappable for their short program, and their program at Euros showed that their free skate, when done well, can score extremely well too, even though it's not a great program--it's unlikely they don't podium.

Interesting how Stolbova and Klimov have not been mentioned much..their outings at Nats and Euros weren't great by any stretch, but they weren't bad either, and they do have the most experience and (arguably) best skating skills of the bunch--all depends on where they are at with their injuries, and they should be back to their peak by next season in any case (wow things will be even more interesting!). I would definitely put them in the same category as S/H, S/M, T/M.

Yu/Zhang had an excellent skate at AWG, and their skating style is quite similar to T/M's--great short program, big, fantastic elements, good speed and great skating skills though perhaps programs could be more intricate--I expect them to do very well as well, and to contend for the podium (their mistakes at 4CC were an anomaly).

Duhamel/Radford have been very inconsistent this season and their programs, particularly free, seem to magnify some of their weaknesses. Although my placement prediction my seem low, the reality is there are so many good teams skating at their best right now and their inconsistencies coupled with lacking skating may not give them a podium place. That being said, I did see meagan and eric working hard on their elements so maybe they will peak--I just can't predict them any higher based what I've seen this season.

James/Cipres skated have great potential though I will have to see if they are consistent--I hope they prove me wrong and place higher than I predict. I/M are stunning and I LOVE their skating, but they are too prone to making mistakes on their elements. S/B and S/K I'm not too sure about, but will round out the top 10.

Last edited:

GF2445

Record Breaker
29 Pairs entered at a Worlds- that is unprecedented!!

What is also unprecedented? Needing a solid mid-60 point SP just to make the top 16- if everyone skates their best, this might be the case.

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
my dream podium is very different ;)

what about last year??? we had a great roster last year!!!

Last year Tarasova/Morozov weren't as competetive as this year. Plus other than Sui/Han Chinese Pairs have dissapointed. I'm expecting more from Yu/Zhang than what Peng/Zhang had shown last year at Worlds. Plus Lubov and Dylan are getting better and better for me :luv17: And Savchenko/Massot have much better programs for me this year and they might try Th3A, so I'm more excited to see them skate this year:) So I think this seaosn Worlds general level will be higher, especially Free Programs since after SP so many teams will drop out.

PS I hope Seguin/Bilodeau will show up, I'm curious in what shape they are.

GF2445

Record Breaker
Whatever happened to the Israeli pair. I thought they met the requirements for Worlds??

LadyB

Record Breaker
One part of me is as excited as a kid before Christmas :gclap:, the other one is simply scared :scard8:and I'm glad pairs is the first comp to be decided.
It will be an absolute feast, something that will be re-watched over and over. The field is classier than last year and the audience will certainly be in for a treat.
S/H, S/M and T/M are leading the challenge imo, but D/R at their best (and they are pro enough to work on what it takes and deliver it) are a medal contender at the very least. Of course I wish with all my heart that S/K get onto the podium, I would be so very, very happy beyond belief. They need that confidence boost after battling with injuries on and off for such a long time. Even a close 4th gives them everything to play for next season, when it really counts.
Not sure whether J/C have the stamina to pull it off again, but judges have been treating them quite favourably throughout the season. I wish the Knierims the best of luck and the best placement possible in the top 10.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Last year Tarasova/Morozov weren't as competetive as this year. Plus other than Sui/Han Chinese Pairs have dissapointed. I'm expecting more from Yu/Zhang than what Peng/Zhang had shown last year at Worlds. Plus Lubov and Dylan are getting better and better for me :luv17: And Savchenko/Massot have much better programs for me this year and they might try Th3A, so I'm more excited to see them skate this year:) So I think this seaosn Worlds general level will be higher, especially Free Programs since after SP so many teams will drop out.

PS I hope Seguin/Bilodeau will show up, I'm curious in what shape they are.

i m just remembering the fans putting D/R off the podium just like every year... so last year, people were saying V/T S/K (even though both teams were coming back from injury) S/H and S/M all in front of D/R. Now this year, people are doing the same ;) but teams are not clear cut for me... T/M : i don't like their LP. S/M : I haven't jumped on that bandwagon because his skating left a lot to be desired... especially in the SP, he is so awkward> S/H I am to say they seem to have regained not only their health but also their hard trick. Y/Z are exciting... their LP is really well built. Lubov and Dylan, to me they remain Canada's 3rd pair and I have a heard time believing the SBS will be there... but I agree... this is the team this year that has the best programs and that says a lot because they have atrocious music... LOL>.. but the programs are exquisite to watch... I like the French as well. They are crazy exciting. As for Julianne and Charlie : i just hope they are healthy and happy.

rosacotton

Final Flight
Surprisingly, this is the competition I'm most excited to see! The pairs field is deep, and this year IMO there is no clear-cut favorite to win the title. Those throws and jumps are scary at times though, so I may watch with one eye open. :hopelessness:

Good luck to everyone!

lingnanf

Spectator
First time writing post here. For my most focus discipline.
Based on the performance through out the season, I just post a my expectation here. I think there are two groups
Fight for title (I think need to be most focused watching): S/H, S/K (RUS), T/M (RUS), D/R, S/M
I think these five team can be in any order, any of these team could be the winner.
Fight for spot: Y/Z, J/C, I/M, S/K (US), D/F(US)
Not sure for other TEAMS.
The places for these teams are important that could affect the spot for next season.
If the teams in the first group make any mistake, their placed can be higher than expected.

Just my personal expectation.

LadyB

Record Breaker
First time writing post here.

Hi lingnanf,
welcome to the party. It's a great bunch of people around and you'll have endless fun.
I agree with your assessment and the closer the date, the more nervous I get. I feel like in real limbo, can't wait for the event to start, can't wait for it to be over. :gaah: I was nervous before Europeans, but this was nothing compared to now.