2018-19 South Korean figure skating | Page 14 | Golden Skate

2018-19 South Korean figure skating

rikaquegira

On the Ice
If Yelim has the highest ranking points after nationals maybe fed can give her the worlds spot, since she's eligible for senior competitions anyway.

Honestly, I’d rather have Eunsoo at WC. I think both of them have a long way to go, artistically speaking, but Eunsoo is more well-rounded as of now and she is really such a charismatic skater, everyone loves her! Star power in itself!
I mentioned this when it happened, but a while ago ISU posted on Instagram asking “who do you want to see in the GP this season”(something like that) and 99% of the comments were “Eunsoo Lim!!!” ❤️
So, I say give the people what they want! [emoji23]

leoleo

Medalist
Honestly, I’d rather have Eunsoo at WC. I think both of them have a long way to go, artistically speaking, but Eunsoo is more well-rounded as of now and she is really such a charismatic skater, everyone loves her! Star power in itself!
I mentioned this when it happened, but a while ago ISU posted on Instagram asking “who do you want to see in the GP this season”(something like that) and 99% of the comments were “Eunsoo Lim!!!” ❤️
So, I say give the people what they want! [emoji23]

Eunsoo needs to work on he consistency tho! yelim so far has been more consistent than her!

i'm happy to discover Wi Seoyeong, she is a lovely skater! hopefully Yelim can skate clean tomorrow and snatch that silver medal even though i know a few people who would die if that happened :laugh2:

sunnystars

#teamotherskaters
Record Breaker
Eunsoo needs to work on he consistency tho! yelim so far has been more consistent than her!

i'm happy to discover Wi Seoyeong, she is a lovely skater! hopefully Yelim can skate clean tomorrow and snatch that silver medal even though i know a few people who would die if that happened :laugh2:

That's why I can't wait for tomorrow. :devil::biggrin:
But on a serious note, Good luck to Yelim!

sunnystars

#teamotherskaters
Record Breaker
I need someone to give us a peek of Dabin's condition and training at this time. She only has to deal with Eunsoo's scoring in the GP but Nationals and 4CC will be another question because Yelim will be there.

I'm also wondering if the Skate Korea competition will be held early this year or be back to its December scheduling....

chz

On the Ice

Anyone knows where can i find Wi Seoyeong video?

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
Among the trio, Young You has the best artistry, because she skated to quite different styles in the past two years, and she typically does not let her performance go when she falls. But she has yet to skate clean at international competitions.

I liked Eunsoo better two years ago, but after two seasons, I think her strength is limited to the sassy/flirty type of music. She has the same kind of flirty movements across different programs, though she does them well.

Yelim has the best potential, because she is more consistent, and her performance has improved so much this season.

rikaquegira

On the Ice
Among the trio, Young You has the best artistry, because she skated to quite different styles in the past two years, and she typically does not let her performance go when she falls. But she has yet to skate clean at international competitions.

I liked Eunsoo better two years ago, but after two seasons, I think her strength is limited to the sassy/flirty type of music. She has the same kind of flirty movements across different programs, though she does them well.

Yelim has the best potential, because she is more consistent, and her performance has improved so much this season.

While I agree Eunsoo style has always been kind of the same(she reminded me of Ashley Wagner a lot) this season she is doing something new with her SP and she does it so well! It’s a lyrical, romantic, almost ethereal composition and she owns it. There is nothing flirty about it, her movements are light, elegant and emotional. So it’s not like she can only do “sassy”, I think she could be a very versatile skater if she’s given the chance. I was actually disappointed by her FS this season because it’s definitely more of the same, not only for her style but the music choice, the choreo, there is not much originality to it.
I hope next season she has a different style too. If she wants to stay in her comfort zone she could do a “sassy” SP and do a completely different Free. One thing I have to say is that I love some contrast! I like that her SP is all lovely and then her Free is Chicago. I hope she keeps this trend.

I agree Yelim is looking very promising. But I don’t want to jinx it! [emoji23]
She seems to be very consistent and she is slowly but surely getting better at presentation and emoting. She improved a lot from last season. She could use some SS training, she still looks a bit stiff. But I guess she’s gotten much taller so she probably doesn’t know how to use her long arms and legs yet. She’s very young so there’s time for learning and improving everything.

Young You needs to get it together! She is such a great performer! Her FS was a miss imo, but her SP is very good! I love how she does different “thankings” to the crowd according to the program! [emoji23] Thats genius! And it is so her! I love her personality so much! ❤️

All in all, I think Eunsoo, Yelim and Young can all have a bright future. Each have its own path of improvement to go through. Since Eunsoo is older and she’s a Senior now I think she is definitely the more developed one.

leoleo

Medalist
You Young does deliver performance wise but god she needs to work on her jumps and her two foot skating. Her knees are also very awkward idk how to explain it. Eunsoo's sp in my opinion shows that she can do different kinds of programs; it's beautiful and she performs it to perfection but her fs is just so disappointing. I don't think it shows any improvement which in my opinion is a fail for her senior debut. Yelim has really impressed me this season, strong jumps, beautiful arm movements; i wish she'd show more emotions tho. I know skating isn't acting but i can't stand it when skaters look like they're somewhere else when they're skating :noshake: i'm probably nitpicking because judges seem to like it anyway :laugh:

rikaquegira

On the Ice
You Young does deliver performance wise but god she needs to work on her jumps and her two foot skating. Her knees are also very awkward idk how to explain it. Eunsoo's sp in my opinion shows that she can do different kinds of programs; it's beautiful and she performs it to perfection but her fs is just so disappointing. I don't think it shows any improvement which in my opinion is a fail for her senior debut. Yelim has really impressed me this season, strong jumps, beautiful arm movements; i wish she'd show more emotions tho. I know skating isn't acting but i can't stand it when skaters look like they're somewhere else when they're skating :noshake: i'm probably nitpicking because judges seem to like it anyway :laugh:

Well, Yelim’s team did her well choosing music that does not require too much expression from her. I talked about this before somewhere in this forum...
Her FS for instance, she gives some shy smiles and some calm expression and that’s it, that’s enough for her program at this moment in her career. Of course as she progresses she’ll need to get out of her comfort zone and she will need much better performance ability than what she has now. But technically she is very good, just needs to be careful with URs and I think her flip is her worst jump.

Btw, is it just me or Korean Ladies seem to have such a focus on having a good Lutz(probably because Yuna is known for whats probably the best lutz in history, LOL) and then their flip is a bit iffy?? [emoji23] I’d need some statistics to confirm this theory but I’m almost certain that almost no Korean lady(junior and senior) has a flutz, for instance.

Ichatdelune

Long live the Queen and her successors
Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
I'm terribly biased here, but my opinions:

@rikaquegira, I don't have statistical evidence either, but I've yet to see a Korean lady being called on a flutz, I've seen a lot of !s on flips though. I call it the 'pioneer syndrome', since our Queen basically introduced the country to figure skating skaters after her tend to take on her traits. Like, in rhythmic gymnastics, current gymnasts show a lot of similarities in style with Son Yeonjae, the first rhythmic gymnast to break out into the international scene. Just my theory though.

I love darling squirtle to no end so I may not have the most objective eyes, but you just have to look at her SP to know that Eunsoo's style isn't just limited to 'sassy' or 'flirty'. She does have the ability to project and express diverse characters, it's just that from what I've observed, she's yet to have thought to spare when she's concentrating on jumps. And she has drastically improved from last season, her spins, body movements, expressions, the list goes on. Give her time (and a program that is not choreographed by Suzuki Akiko...), she'll bring out her full potential. Also, I wouldn't call her inconsistent, she's yet to clean on her FS, I know, but she was very much consistent as a junior, which she has just come up from this season. I say it's most likely nerves, she's not one with nerves of steel.

Yelim also has been consistent from what I've seen of her, and she has kept on improving on everything. Her SS need to get better and her spins could use some work, but I disagree with the statement that she lacks emotion. Her style is light, airy, and delicate, her eyes are where her emotions show. And although I'd like to see more sides of her (and she does need to develop them to become a mature skater), her thin frame and quiet composure is best suited to that style. I personally prefer her with programs that suit her than new, different programs that don't, so I'm not rushing her into suddenly developing a new persona. She'll do as she does, facial expressions and all.

Young is the most performer-like of the trio, I have zero worries about her lacking performance-wise. Just look at her FS, while I don't think her personality fits Eliza, she was always charming and devoted even when she fell (and broke my heart...). Her consistency is what worries me, she's been plagued with underrotations and misses on her jumps, and she's the one who's training 3As. But she is the youngest of the trio (Yelim is a month older than Eunsoo btw, order goes Yelim '03 January>Eunsoo '03 February>Young '04 May), and she's been suffering the media hailing her as the next Queen. That is no burden a 14-year-old should bear. I'm being patient on her, she's one determined lass.

Overall, I'm sure that all three of them have bright futures ahead of them. They'll improve on their own paces, and I'm frankly thankful that they actually exist in this country with nothing but a terrible fed and mediocre infrastructure. (Slightly off-topic, but I hate how too many people here dismiss the girls' achievements just because the Queen used to win everything. Yuna was a literal once-in-a-century miracle, you can't expect everyone to be like her, goddamnit.)

lavoix

Match Penalty
Yelim was bloody amazing in Ostrava. I think her SP would have suited Evgenia much better than the weird SP Wilson gave her.

randomfan

Record Breaker
Yay for Yelim! Two silvers should very likely be enough for the JGPF, but we’ll need to watch the remaining two events closely. Anyways congrats on another great skate! :cheer:

Ichatdelune

Long live the Queen and her successors
Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
It seems that Yelim not going to JGPF is highly unlikely, so I'm going to celebrate, don't you stop me :hap10: Congratulations to a very well-deserved silver and a ticket to Vancouver, you rock my girl :luv17:

yyyskate

Record Breaker
some feedback from Chinese figures skating fans for this Korean fanfest. Eunsoo's SP is the absolutely top 5 most fav SP among all ladies in this season if not top1. Also is one of the most retweeted SP on Chinese social media. Also they love her SP fairy like dress as well. Eunsoo's free is the relatively lesser one. That's the feedback from Chinese figure skating fans. Some Chinese fans even could like to compare Eunsoo's SP to Yuna's early lyrical programs (e.g. only hope).

When appreciate Eunsoo's SP, however to me, Eunsoo's SP somehow wanted me to compare to Yuna's SITC, I can see many choreographic intention/concept and interpretation philosophy, that is truly an inheritance from Yuna, but the difference and distance is also obvious there.
as for Yelim and Young You, I mostly agree with @rikaquegira's assessment.
as for flip, people usually forget Yuna's flying textbook flip (comparing to her iconic lutz), and I yet to find a Korean skater who has a flip as smooth as Yuna's, but Eunsoo's flip is getting better. Her repetitive mistake on flip mostly is mental.

All very promising, all still have lots to improve and How exciting is that!
Wish all these hard working and promising Korean young skaters good luck.