2018 Aerial Challenge | Golden Skate

2018 Aerial Challenge

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
So I saw that icecoverage posted the entries but I thought this could be the spot to discuss it, the participants, results, whatever... and any possible youtube links :biggrin:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Thx for starting a thread. :thank:

Copying my old post over here from the U.S. Men thread:

Entries for 2018 Aerial Figure Skating Challenge in alphabetical order:

Men:
Tomoki Hiwatashi
Ben Jalovick
Max Lake
Jimmy Ma
Jordan Moeller
Camden Pulkinen
Patrick Rupp
Emmanuel Savary
Dinh Tran
Andrew Torgashev​

Ladies:
Maxine Marie Bautista
Ting Cui
Hannah Harrell
Angelina Huang
Courtney Hicks
Pooja Kalyan
Ashley Lin
Alysa Liu
Audrey Shin
Emilea Zingas​

"Livestreaming of the Aerial Challenge will begin at 12:15pm MDT on Saturday, 6/23. The Aerial Challenge is being livestreamed for free courtesy of the Broadmoor Figure Skating Club and ProEventPhoto."

To be clear: streaming only of Aerial Challenge is "for free."
Streaming of Broadmoor Open requires purchasing a pass.

Aerial Challenge is scheduled for 12:15 to 1:45 pm local time, per http://broadmoorskatingclub.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/Saturday-1.pdf

New branding this year: "EDEA from Skates U.S. Aerial Figure Skating Challenge"

ETA (on Jun 10):

Per today's press release, Todd Eldredge will be back on the judging panel for a third year.
https://www.facebook.com/AerialFigureSkatingChallenge/posts/921204228082010 (Jun 10)​

ETA (on Jun 15):

Belatedly occurs to me that I should have mentioned (although the FB post did not): Winners of the Broadmoor Open jump events (junior and senior levels) also qualify for Aerial Challenge.​

Haleth

On the Ice
Has anyone seen an entry list for the PF Trophy? Rather frustrating that the list of entries is out for the Aerial Challenge yet nada for the artistic event. Makes me wonder if there's a problem or it's a sign of priorities...

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Has anyone seen an entry list for the PF Trophy? Rather frustrating that the list of entries is out for the Aerial Challenge yet nada for the artistic event. Makes me wonder if there's a problem or it's a sign of priorities...

AFAIK:

Broadmoor Open itself never has published entry lists, I think?

Aerial Challenge -- spearheaded by Tom Z -- always has done its own thing in terms of promotion: e.g., publishing entry lists, arranging live-streaming for free, posting on its own social media accounts, etc. [ETA: Also finding commercial sponsors.]

I think that it would be up to the organizer(s) of Peggy Fleming Trophy (person analogous to Tom Z) to do the same type of promotion -- if the PFT organizer(s) wanted to.

ETA:

Just sayin' that I do not think it is a matter of Broadmoor Open giving different priorities to PFT vs. Aerial Challenge.

And I am hopeful that there is no "problem" regarding PFT. In fact, it seems that the entry quota was increased since the original announcement of PFT. (As mentioned in the PFT thread.)​

ETA:

USFS Instagram story/IGTV has a mini-video of a photo shoot with Peggy Fleming and the trophy. :cool:
So we can rest assured that USFS is embracing PFT.​

Spirals for Miles

Record Breaker
Can someone explain how exactly the challenge works? this will be my first year watching it

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
Can someone explain how exactly the challenge works? this will be my first year watching it

Probably not. I don't mean that to be unkind, but it is kinda a work in progress and seems to change each year. My guess is that it will not go the same as it has in the past.

In the past the over simplified answer is that skaters do jumps with some rules (i.e. a solo jump... a combo jump, etc) and are judges in someway... sometimes it is GOE sometimes it seems to be more of a scale of 1-10. But there is usually a series of rounds (last year they had teams for instance) and a final. Sometimes there are eliminations sometimes not. I saw it in person its first year and it has been very different in years since.

Again, it is an evolving experiment, just grab a drink and roll with it.

ice coverage

Record Breaker

If you want to read about this year's format:

(Warning: One of my pet peeves :devil: is that what is called the "Final Round" is not the last round. "Championship Round" is the last round.)

(And BTW: No team event this year. Just the individual ladies event and the individual men's event.)

… Again, it is an evolving experiment, just grab a drink and roll with it.

In any case, Stitch's advice is good. :agree:

Spirals for Miles

Record Breaker
So three rounds?
Interesting how there's no -3Lo combo at all, unless someone does something like 3Lz-3T-3Lo or 3T-3T-3Lo...
And in the championship round, for ladies, there's no combo at all?

cohen-esque

Final Flight
So three rounds?
Interesting how there's no -3Lo combo at all, unless someone does something like 3Lz-3T-3Lo or 3T-3T-3Lo...
And in the championship round, for ladies, there's no combo at all?

It is odd how for the women especially (a lesser extent for the men), the semifinal round is more difficult than the final round. (They could do, in the semifinal round, a 3S+3T+2T as the easiest possible combination allowed but in the final round just a 3T+3T.)

I like the Championship round formats... but the high mandatory difficulty of those really makes me question the women’s final round, again, because it’s so incongruent with the rest of the Challenge.

But surely for the women’s championship round, a required 3A or quad is a higher bar than a 3+3.

They jump up into the air, or they jump while they are in the air...? Sorry, it's just an odd name, and it reminds me of a circus.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
As Stitch said, the format changes constantly. Although the format could certainly change again this year, do *not* take this event too seriously, and no critique could actually harm it, as it historically is a less than serious event.

Last year, they had “guest judges”, some of the whom knew less about jumps than I do, and held up “10” cards for almost anything that was a skid-across-the-ice fall. Yes, they held up cards. :biggrin:

If I had been a serious jump fan, I would have been disappointed. Since I personally care very little about number of revolutions in the air, and took the contest in that spirit, I enjoyed it. But you couldn’t snark about it any more than the judges themselves, who either appeared snarky, lost or just having fun.:)

That said, this year it could be serious as a heart attack. Who knows:popcorn:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Last year, they had “guest judges”, some of the whom knew less about jumps than I do, and held up “10” cards for almost anything that was a skid-across-the-ice fall. Yes, they held up cards. :biggrin:

Well, the "guest judges" shouldn't disappoint you this year, el henry. Josh's jumps were so textbook perfect...

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well, the "guest judges" shouldn't disappoint you this year, el henry. Josh's jumps were so textbook perfect...

I saw that Josh was one of the judges:clap: maybe the “younger generation” guest judges will be a tad more serious; Christopher Dean judged last year, and he looked great, but he was influenced by the spirit of the event ;)

Sjs5572

Final Flight
for the ladies championship round, is Alysa Liu the only skater who has a reliable 3A/quad?