2018 Autumn Classic Intl Ladies Free Skate | Page 22 | Golden Skate

2018 Autumn Classic Intl Ladies Free Skate

Lissy

Medalist
This has got to be a great confidence boost for Bradie and Mae! I'm so happy for them! Definitely not concerned for Evgenia. This has been a crazy summer for her and I am sure she is just starting to really get settled into her new training environment plus coming off of an injury.

I love the first year after the Olympics. It's always so exciting!

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
For non-jump elements (spins, step sequence, choreo sequence), Bradie's total points were 23.19 to Evgenia's 18.72.
Bradie needs to clean up her URs and Evgenia needs to fix her 2A.
Bradie lost 1.5 points on URs and Evgenia lost 1.3 points on her 2A.

I am sure Evgenia is not in the least worried about losing this competition to Bradie. She is just getting used to her new environment and she knows what she has to work on.

Remember, the only time Evgenia faced Bradie before in competition was at the Olympics, which was Bradie's first major senior competition. Bradie was understandably nervous and not her usual composed and confident self. Evgenia was no doubt surprised and maybe just a little shocked to see this determined, aggressive Bradie. IMO, it will only stir Evgenia's own competitive spirit.

frida80

Record Breaker
All and all this was great competition! Thanks to Ted, I couldn’t help watching the entire thing. He really does make the competition so much better with his endless positivity. I cannot say enough about how much I love him. ISU should really thank him for all that he’s done to help promote the sport. God knows these country restrictions and bad streams haven’t been too enthralling for non-Olympic US fans.... :dumb:

There were so many endearing moments. I loved that good luck hand gesture between the ladies from Mexico. Both were so pleasing to watch. Some good fight from Eunsoo after yesterday’s trying day. Alicia nailing it for the home crowd. Yura’s comeback. Sometimes you forget there’s so many stories going on throughout the day. And Ted always puts it all in perspective. It leaves you with a smile after every skater. :biggrin:

I think I’ll review the top 8, because I loved both Alexia and Starr so much.

Alexia started off with another pop, but didn’t let it stop her. Clearly the experience at the Olympics, Europeans, and Worlds have helped a lot. She showed so much personality and spirit. I’ve heard that music a thousand times, but imbued it with her own personal charm. If she can just get the jumps, I see some good scores in her future.

Congrats to Starr for a improved Lutz. I didn’t think she was going to get this season, so it was a pleasant surprise. It was still called !, but that’s progress. Her program has improved since Asian Open. Her costume is so much better. Bold and colorful, it matches the music. She’s also selling the dancing more. It’s a shame about those underotations on her 3T. It seemed like she ran out of steam at the end. I hope after more run throughs using this layout, she can deliver it with the performance it deserves.

Alicia! From 9th to 6th! Her jumps were light and airy. It’s a shame about her fall, but she showed such strength tonight. She was really selling it at the end with the vocals. It’s never easy skating in front of a home crowd, but I think she did a great job representing Canada tonight. I can’t wait to see her again.

Wakaba... :cry: This was a tough day. When you train for a spot for your Olympic team, you put a huge amount of energy, blood, sweat and tears. Often times the next year is so hard because it’s hard muster up more energy after you’ve gave more than you ever had just a few months prior. Today wasn’t easy. Hand down, turnout, fall, no triple triple. But it’s the first competition, and I know she’s determined to go the Olympics. I think Four Seasons is fine. Not as good as last years, but that one is hard to top. However, I believe Wakaba will find that fire and fight back.

Kailini! Wasn’t she wonderful? Such a charismatic performer! Her jumps were great, the spins were good, and she was performing the whole time. It’s sad we won’t see her at the GP. Maybe she’ll get a sub spot.

Mae! :yahoo: She’s come such a long way! This was wonderful tonight. She was so focus and her jumps looked so good! It’s incredible that she managed to do that while skating last! I’ve been seeing pics of her with Vanessa and Morgan in Florida, wondering if some of that same Zimmerman magic could rub off on her. And it did! I’m so proud! A well deserving bronze.

Evgenia.... Work in Progress. When a skater changes a coach, it’s a process that takes a long time. Brian is going to rework her technique. That means few transitions until she’s mastered it. She’s not only tackling new technique but a new style as well. However, I know that Evgenia is one of the most determined people in the world. If she was committed enough to leave her country to train with someone entirely new, I know she’s committed to seeing this process through. I’m seeing a new skater emerge already. But I always remember an old saying in moments like this. “Failure is the mother of success.” She’s going to fire herself up and show the world exactly how committed she is.

Bradie! :cheer: Fantastic start to the season! She really revamped her programs to maximize her points! Even with 3 underrotations, she still scored a nice 137 for the win. I think her choreography is much improved. There were a few awkward spots that can be adjusted between now and Skate America. But I have a strong feeling with Bradie’s excellent consistency and new programs, we should be looking at the start of a good season for her.

And now I have to console myself because I have to miss the men’s final, since I will be at a wedding instead. :sad4:

LisaS

On the Ice
Don't know if anyone mentioned yet but Satoko was in the aidence watching. She was in my row a few seats over. I thought was her and kept looking at her
The ladies behind me confirmed it when she got up to leave

frida80

Record Breaker
Don't know if anyone mentioned yet but Satoko was in the aidence watching. She was in my row a few seats over. I thought was her and kept looking at her

Awww! I knew Mie was there, because she said Hi to Ted. But it seems like Satoko decided to stay in North America for another week and watch Autumn Classic. I’m glad she got a small break and hope she enjoyed Canada!

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think Satoko wanted to see how Bradie looked---after all Bradie is probably her main competition at Skate America.

frida80

Record Breaker
I think Satoko wanted to see how Bradie looked---after all Bradie is probably her main competition at Skate America.

Huh... I liked my vacation version better. It sounds much nicer.

Satoko has a fight on her hand. At Skate America, they probably won’t call Satoko’s jumps. However, they probably won’t call Bradie’s either. Bradie has a larger base value, and her PCS score has grown. Then there’s the home crowd, which always give the US ladies a boost. But, Satoko’s real focus should be medalling at the GP final. She should focus on rotations.

mau

3Lz3Lo3Lo3Lo3Lo
On the Ice
I'm not a fan of Bradie's program but I'm happy she's showing herself a strong contender for this season.

About Zhenya... I think Libertango is a dull choice for her.

Yay for Mae on the podium!

CellarDweller

Ice Time
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Just watched the videos, interesting night of skating!

Personal opinion, I would've given the bronze to Kailini over Mae Berenice. I thought that Mae wasn't skating fast enough for her music, she seemed too.....sedate for that program.

Very surprised to see Bradie over Evgenia, but it's only September. Evgenia will work out whatever kinks she needs to as the season goes on.

Wakaba's performance surprised me, but if she had leg cramps, it's understandable. I would imagine skating in pain is a difficult thing to do.

Completely in love with Starr's jumpsuit and program. It was so original, and I had no idea she had added the triple axle to her line-up. I'm hoping that by the time Nationals come along, she's got that landing down pat and really puts on a show.

Metis

Shepherdess of the Teal Deer
Record Breaker
I thought Bradie showed more improvement than, frankly, I considered her capable of in the short, but her free is a combination of terrible (and confusing) music cuts and what can politely be called “yoga choreo” — if I’m calling your moves by their names as yoga positions, we’ve got a problem. (And that was the extent of the choreo.) There was absolutely nothing about that performance that suggested Juliet — any facet of Juliet — and, again, the music cuts are a serious problem. One step forward and two crossovers back, I guess. Bad StSq, too.

Medvedeva is also a 404: Choreo Not Found with regard to the tango, Mae was fierce but that was not a flamenco, and Wakababy. :( Artistically, this was a competition for the least worst among the top three.

TripleAxelQueens3

sasha trusova is superior
Final Flight
This was suppose to happen at the 2018 OG and previously at Worlds 2017 and didn't. For the record, who ever said that Kaetlyn or Gabby were done. Let's just say we are drinking very different cool-aid these days, as I believe the field for 2022 between Russia, Canada, USA, Japan and Korea, is wide open at the moment.

What Canadian junior could be a threat to the likes of Trusova, Shcherbakova, Kostornaia, Kihira, Valieva, Liu etc? I remember vaguely a promisingly junior called Reese Rose or something...

rikaquegira

On the Ice
This new GOE scale makes the “odd ducks” stand out even more! So strange when an element most judges thought was a +4/5 quality gets a 1 or 2. [emoji23]

Anyway, I thought Bradie looked solid!
Yes, her URs are a problem... I’m glad they called them because it was so obvious! But she still went ahead of Medvedeva! Can’t say I was shocked. I watched Evgenia’s FS first and then watched Bradie’s. Bradie just looked more confident and sharp. Her program is kind of “meh”. It’s not terrible, probably because I was not expecting much anyway. [emoji23] One thing I was really impressed by was her 2A! I don’t know if it was the angle but I thought she had some of the best 2A in ladies! And she was throwing them sort of out of the blue, really good jumping pass for her! I couldn’t say if it matched the music or not because I’m still under the impression that the music is off sync in the livestream, but if it matched the music I’d easily give it a +4/5!
Medvedeva looked beautiful, performance wise it was better than her SP but this program still feels like a work in progress. Nonetheless for me it is an improvement. I was never into her skating, it just wasn’t my style(most of what she did). Now I’m more interested in her programs. I think she misses a bit of sophistication and detail, more sureness and attitude in the free skate. But I feel like we can’t really criticise anything she’s doing now because she’s in this process of becoming a almost whole new skater and it will take a while... We have to be patient and supportive.
Her 2A, when she lands it, definitely looks better so that’s something I thought she improved really fast! Who knew all she needed was a couple of months with Brian Orser? I know a few ladies who could use whatever magic Brian is working. [emoji23]
Just joking! Her 2A still needs consistency so the “magic” hasn’t worked yet. [emoji28] And god knows how long it will take!

Wakaba, as I expected, was kind of a mess. All I want is for her to be 100% healthy next time. [emoji120]

Congrats to Mae! I’m not into her skating but she was great here and I think it was well deserved!

Overall this is was a super interesting event!!! This season is already so exciting!

And shoutout to Ted Barton! He made everything better! [emoji122]

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
Congrats to Bradie!
A reminder to everyone that reworking your basics and jumps take time. (shocker, I know...)
I don't love the lp yet but I think it has potential.

She does not need to rework her basics. She scored 240 with her Eteri technique. What she needs is not to regress. And she needs it desperately before GP starts

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker

I don't think I could have stopped myself. I would have gawked at her and been a little star struck. Satoko is my favourite among the women.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
I really liked Wakaba's Four Seasons. Yes still a bit empty at places, but I was totally into it. Too bad she couldn't medal here though. I hope she can get into the GPF.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Congratulations to Bradie for all her improvements and victory.
Congratulations ti the judging because Medvedeva was scored almost fairly.
Congratulations to Maé for that well deserved medal!!!!