2018 Finlandia Trophy Mens Short Program | Page 7 | Golden Skate

2018 Finlandia Trophy Mens Short Program

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
Lukas Britschgi (SUI)

Jason Brown music, who would've thunk?!

Okay 3A, bit of a unbalanced landing. 3-turn between 3Lz+3T, not sure how he got the 3T. Adequate series of spins to follow. Fine 3F with a good exit. Clean positions through the combo spin. He actually has decent edge control through the footwork, just not as much projection. He does have some good moments, especially with the sliding movements, but he could work on getting more core strength and working on emoting with his face to get the languidness of the music choice.

Score: 68.40

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Back-tracking to Alexander Johnson. I wonder if at Champs Camp the American skaters must have been taught to smile big and laugh at their poor scores after a screw-up. I've noticed a trend. Alexander, and earlier today Kayne/O'Shea really doing that. Also, Alexa Knierim did the same thing, big-time, at Nebelhorn FS. It was even more noticeable to me, because Alexa's face usually goes totally stormy when she's messed up. I mean, I'm always glad to see skaters not abandon the performance, and acknowledging applause and appreciate is great; it shows their appreciation for the audience. But still.

LadyB

Record Breaker
So far very pleased with the podium. I'm rooting for Alexey E now, but I'm really looking forward to Luc. I really loved both his Amodio-influenced programmes.

Heleng

Medalist
Country
United-States
Just joined, guess I missed all but last group, oh well. One of my favorite Muse songs playing in the background.

Ichatdelune

Long live the Queen and her successors
Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
I think I am right to say that so far, Junhwan is the only skater who didn't have a (visible, at least) problem with all his jumps! So proud of that darling, and to think he has more than two weeks to go until his 17th birthday :luv17:

Not really a fan of Alexander Majorov's program, but his skating skills are fine stuff.

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
Alexander Majorov (SWE)

Wild 3-turn, double-footed and scratchy landing on the 4T attempt, may be <. Strong 3A right into a decently fast camel spin. Weird 3F+1T (?) with a strange three-turn between. Not sure what the judges are going to do with that. I do like some of the shapes in the footwork sequence, but I can't say they are musical. Good speed and centering in the last spin.

Hmm, I'm just not a fan of the music choice. It's neither here nor there, so he could be skating to almost anything. He did perform better to this than he did at Nebelhorn though. I just don't think the music has enough there to be competitive.

Score: 73.41

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
Sondre Oddvoll Boe (NOR)

Fine 2A to start. Alright 3Lz+3T, a little bit wobbly on the 3T (looks <). Good sit spin positions. Step-out on the 3F. A little wobbly on the centering on the catchfoot camel spin. Footwork is fairly simple but decent flow. Alright final spin.

A fair performance from Boe today. A nice skate to nice music.

Score: 60.61

Ichatdelune

Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
It's not the day for Russian men, is it? But nice program, I enjoyed the step sequence. He could use a bit more expression though.

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
Alexey Erokhov

Hand-down on 4S attempt. Ouch, a popped 1A (invalid). Backward entrance into the combo spin, positions could be stronger. A fall on the 4T, a bit surprising given the landing. Good speed through the sit spin and a fine flying camel spin (last position might not have been held long enough). Edges are okay in the footwork.

This is very tough music to skate to. There's rarely an audible beat so you have to be extremely lyrical to hit the nuances of the piano. I don't fault that one woman in the audience for yawning.

Score: 62.16

Ichatdelune

Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
I have absolutely no complaints about the podium here.

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
Luc Economides (FRA)

Good 3F to open. Ouch, a popped 1A but a nice edge entry. Nice pop-over in the combo spin, good speed too. Low 3-turn on the 3Lz+3T combo with both hands down on the 3T. Interesting reverse spin. Lots of flailing in the circular step but it matches the music, good use of short edges.

Shame on that popped Axel. I think the choreography of the program is strong. I'm a sucker for Nina Simone and he performed with the music fairly well. Just a bit more speed across the ice would make his moves fuller.

Score: 59.57