2018 GP Helsinki Men's Free Skate | Page 31 | Golden Skate

2018 GP Helsinki Men's Free Skate

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Seconded, I love his lines. I'm not that optimistic on Dmitri not popping though, but then it's the men, who knows. And I am way, waaaaaay to focused on one particular case happening to be able to look at things with insight.

He also needs to not forget to pack his triple axel for the free skate. ;)

I look forward to Dmitri!

Yuzuruu

the silent assassin
Medalist
Yuzuru was magnificent even with the mistakes he made. He was so incredibly strong to hold on to those botched landings! And Brezina and Jun were stunning! Brezina literally lit up the arena! I am so Happy I could witness it all live!

Of course my poor heart aches for Boyang and Misha both of whom had very tough days :(

TarAncalime

On the Ice
The HIGHLIGHT of this GP so far is Brezina whipping out his cell to take a podium selfie :rofl:

Absolutely! I would do the same being in that position. And his first coach beside him to share the moment. That is also why he did it!

Ichatdelune

Long live the Queen and her successors
Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
He also needs to not forget to pack his triple axel for the free skate. ;)

I look forward to Dmitri!

I still can't believe that actually happened, what were they thinking?? :noshake: My memory is very fuzzy right now (thanks, TTC lads) but he did pack a 3A and a 3A+2T (I think, somebody correct me if I'm off) for his free. Can't say he did those as planned unfortunately... I think he doubled his 3A and stepped out from the toe on the combo, he popped almost every jump at that comp (can't even remember which one :hslap:)

Ichatdelune

Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
Yuzuru was magnificent even with the mistakes he made. He was so incredibly strong to hold on to those botched landings! And Brezina and Jun were stunning! Brezina literally lit up the arena! I am so Happy I could witness it all live!

Of course my poor heart aches for Boyang and Misha both of whom had very tough days :(

DId Junhwan get a proper-sized flag???

Sorry, I'm still not over SC's medal ceremony. I'm so envious right now, to see that live must have been electrifying.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
Mikhail and Boyang broke my heart. This is not a competition to remember. Good on Brezina and Yuzuru though, congrats. Junhwan - not my cup of tea - he is, but a great GP debut nonetheless.

Danny T

Medalist
Host: "We'll get back to Winnie the Pooh later"

NOOO, stop it with the Pooh already :dev2:

Kings

Rinkside
I would love a feed that is just Brian Orser watching his skaters compete. His reactions are so adorable!

Also, knowing that Yuzuru was likely to make the podium, somebody should have taken the time to iron the Japanese flag before the medal ceremony. So wrinkly! :scratch2:

Danny T

Medalist
I love the contrast between high-pitched, long-pause English and deep Japanese with the speed of a thousand bullets :laugh:

ETA: Yuzu's English gets a hundred times better when he talks about skating tech stuff, that's so cute :luv17:

century2009

On the Ice
GPF Placement Standings

Qualified
26* - Michal Brezina (Secured spot)

Best Shot At Qualifying
22 - Junhwan Cha
15 - Yuzuru Hanyu (Has RUS left)
15 - Nathan Chen (Has FRA left)
15 - Shoma Uno (Has JPN left)
13 - Keegan Messing (Has RUS left)
11 - Sergei Voronov (Has JPN left) [Thanks, Colonel Green for catching that!]
9 - Matteo Rizzo (Has JPN left)
9 - Alexander Samarin (Has FRA left)
9 - Mikhail Kolyada (has RUS left)
7 - Vincent Zhou (Has JPN left)
7 - Boyang Jin (Has FRA left)

Wildcards - Still Has 2 GP Assignments Left
Deniss Vasiljevs
Dmitri Aliev

Shoma, Nathan, and Yuzuru are most certain. Even if they get Silver, they will make the Final.

And will be an exciting GPF one with these 3 meeting for the 1st time to compete.

All of them are pretty equal now, other than Nathan pulling 6 quads in a program again.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
The ISU Instagram posted a Story of Brian reminiscing about being in the rink for 1983, which he incorrectly stated was 25 years ago, as opposed to 35 years ago.

LOL, Brian's not ready to age further,.

Yeah I saw the IG story, that's what made me post his FS here. :) Glad Brian has more good memories of Helsinki!

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
Jackie Wong just stated that there is a complicated math where Brezina might not make the final. Apparently if Voronov wins it changes the numbers a lot. Now I'm annoyed. I always root for Sergei but I want Michal in the finals.

What is a fan of the old people of skating club supposed to do????

TarAncalime

On the Ice
Hasn't he been working with Raf? I thought he had gone completely to Raf but I guess not?

He is. Raf was with him @ SA, his old coach back in Czech republic was beside him @ Helsinki. Soo cool! The first coaches of skaters get overlooked so often because everybody looks at the star coaches only...:-(

Ichatdelune

Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
Jackie Wong just stated that there is a complicated math where Brezina might not make the final. Apparently if Voronov wins it changes the numbers a lot. Now I'm annoyed. I always root for Sergei but I want Michal in the finals.

What is a fan of the old people of skating club supposed to do????

... Huh????? How in the world does those numbers work out????