2018 JGP Kaunas Ladies Free Skate | Page 19 | Golden Skate

2018 JGP Kaunas Ladies Free Skate

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Wait, you haven't watched Eunsoo this season??? Her SP is the best SP so far! Just absolutely stunning!!! :love: She skated in the Asian Open.

I have! It was awesome :) But still, there are skaters who skate in Challengers and then choose JGP. I'm glad it's not the case with Eunsoo. She's a senior level skater, and this way the youngsters have a chance to compete in JGP :hap10:

ETA: Just saw that Sophia Schaller, who competed here, is on the entries list to Finlandia Trophy. That's just an example of doing Challengers and JGP.

Alegria

On the Ice
Country
Ukraine
And no, she is pretty much done for the season internationally unless they trust her with Armenia. At junior nationals, she faces Trusova, Shcherbakova, Kostornaya, Kanysheva, Tarusina, Tarakanova, Kostyuk, Vasilieva, and probably Gubanova, plus the 2006 girls, Valieva, Usacheva, Kromykh, and Shabotova and more of Panova's students, like Frolova, Tsibinova, and Starodubtseva. That's a tough field for anyone, let alone one that the Fed has decided can't be trusted, and you can bet that that's what they've decided watching her skate.
So what? I mean, that everyone have their own difficulties. I don't know, why it should be even discussed when we talk about places

Skating skills is Balance, flow, cleanness and sureness of deep edges, speed, multi-directional skating, and mastery of one foot skating.

I think where Yelim excelled was the flow and balance. Between all of her elements it was just effortless. No hesitation going into any of them.

She didn’t have tons of transitions, but she did have plenty, IMO. Three turns and a bracket into her 3Lz+3T. Inu Bauer into her 3F. Difficult entries into her 2A and 3Lo. You don’t have to have Yuzuru level of transitions before every jump, IMO.
Yes. It's figure skating. I don't like programes of Eteri girls, because they are not a programes, but millions of transitions in one second. It's not like the more the better. Amount of transitions should be enough to feet the program. Maybe Yelim will be better with some more intersting transitions, but it's not like she was skating without them at all.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Nah, he doesn’t like Sasha not doing transitions into her Quads. We see this in men’s as well. I think it’s unfair in Sasha’s case, since she just learned them a year ago and she’s the only lady in the world competing with them. The rest of her jumps have great transitions. It’s like she’s being punished for doing something insanely hard and actually accomplishing it.

Not even just Sasha though....he had unusually low marks for most everyone’s transitions . It is odd that some of the skaters who finished the segment higher than 20th had almost the same scores ~5.5 as Sasha Trusova who I think has some of the most well executed transitions of any skater. I understand judges May have different scales but no other judge displayed the same level of inconsistency at this event and every other single judge scored her 7.0 or above.

My concern was with such wild inconsistency with that specific component being applied across the board to the entire field. Very strange IMO and I wonder if they might better reflect his views on skating rather than the on ice performances of the atgletes. Two very different things.

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yes. It's figure skating. I don't like programes of Eteri girls, because they are not a programes, but millions of transitions in one second. It's not like the more the better. Amount of transitions should be enough to feet the program. .

I don’t disagree but you really seem to be indicating less is better. Volume of transitions shouldn’t matter when judging the scores. Either way. More or less is as irrelevant as personal taste in programs. Poise, delivery, strength, purpose, etc. I think a lot of people can appreciate both Yelim and Sasha and score them relatively equal on components even if for entirely unrelated reasons.

I think your criticism of Eteri programs is an unfair characterization and I think her skaters and coaches take pride in what they do just as much as someone like Yelim and her team does. They are programs constructed with purpose and dignity and I think their efforts deserve more respect than you give them. The poise and deltail required of each step shows me how much they put into achieving a stylistic perfection. It may not be everyone’s cup of tea but scoring and analysis should remain free of such bias IMO.

Alegria

On the Ice
Country
Ukraine
I don’t disagree but you really seem to be indicating less is better. Volume of transitions shouldn’t matter when judging the scores. Either way. More or less is as irrelevant as personal taste in programs. Poise, delivery, strength, purpose, etc. I think a lot of people can appreciate both Yelim and Sasha and score them relatively equal on components even if for entirely unrelated reasons.

I think your criticism of Eteri programs is an unfair characterization and I think her skaters and coaches take pride in what they do just as much as someone like Yelim and her team does. They are programs constructed with purpose and dignity and I think their efforts deserve more respect than you give them. The poise and deltail required of each step shows me how much they put into achieving a stylistic perfection. It may not be everyone’s cup of tea but scoring and analysis should remain free of such bias IMO.
I don't like Eteri strategy simply because she is trying everyone to believe, that if you can't do million of transitions in your program it means, that this program is not difficult. And it's not true. And the most sad in this, that her girls hadn't enough time and space to show that difficult transitions. Will it harm someone if girl show it for few more seconds? So in general, I can see that this program made to be simply difficult, but not to express some idea.

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I don't like Eteri strategy simply because she is trying everyone to believe, that if you can't do million of transitions in your program it means, that this program is not difficult. And it's not true. And the most sad in this, that her girls hadn't enough time and space to show that difficult transitions. Will it harm someone if girl show it for few more seconds? So in general, I can see that this program made to be simply difficult, but not to express some idea.

Actually I’ve never heard Eteri’s team say anything of the sort. Her detractors have gone on for years about it though trying to preach a conformity to one particular style. If you read my post again you’ll notice I specifically stated that both approaches need to be respected and can score similarly for completely unrelated reasoning.

Alegria

On the Ice
Country
Ukraine
Actually I’ve never heard Eteri’s team say anything of the sort. Her detractors have gone on for years about it though trying to preach a conformity to one particular style. If you read my post again you’ll notice I specifically stated that both approaches need to be respected and can score similarly for completely unrelated reasoning.

I don't think it should be scored similarly. Transitions should be part of the program, but not just random difficult move. Transitions are like dresses, so can't feet any program. cantilever is a difficult transition and I'm sure, if all Eteri girls can do it, she will put it in every program. Just because it's difficult and wow. I remember Eteri programs since Shelepen. And since then I can recognize Eteri girl immediately. Just because she will do million of unnecessary transitions and I prefer to see skating

katymay

Medalist
Sometimes I feel, that Trusova is not interested in anything except jumps.

If you watch her in warm up, she never warms up anything except jumps. Even warming up on the floor, jumps. She loves to jump jump jump. And it makes me laugh. Like a little kid really.

katymay

Medalist
So, here are some things regarding Sasha's programs I really like

1.Quads(Yeah, quads are cool:love:)
2. 3Lz-3Lo. This combo is now very impressive.
3. Cantielever enter into layback spin. Just cool.
4. 2A looking as a transition out from the quad(or quad combo, how it happened today)
5. That miming performance in front of judges:agree:

I would add that she has an amazing butterfly, and her triple flip is a blur!

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
If you watch her in warm up, she never warms up anything except jumps. Even warming up on the floor, jumps. She loves to jump jump jump. And it makes me laugh. Like a little kid really.

That’s kind of the way I see it. Sasha is fun to to support because she has a very sweet personality with incredible drive. I’ve been watching JGP for a while now and think it’s just really fun. That’s the reason I tune in. The chance to see a rare skater like Sasha is just a bonus that I don’t take for granted :dance3:

3T3T

Final Flight
Country
Ireland
Quite an enjoyable competition. A clear and deserved win for Trusova. Her TES is off the scale, she bounced back from her nasty fall as if nothing happened. However her PCS is generous, I didn’t think there was a lot going on in the programme, it was basically going from jump to jump. On the whole I’m a bit disappointed in the free programmes from all of Team Eteri this season, maybe it’s a question of more mileage in them but I have preferred the programmes of the 2nd Russian skater in each JGP so far.

I was very impressed with the skate of Kim. Lovely high jumps with elegant skating. I also liked Sinitsina, I probably would have her second overall, I think she was undermarked in both skates here on PCS. Other skates I liked were Arkhipova, Ryabova and Soupian.

One of the most enjoyable skates was that of Ramanauskaite. It wasnt the most technically difficult programme but she skated her very best, it was brilliant. Her delight afterwards and the applause of a surprisingly large and supportive crowd was great to see.