2018 Olympic Figure Skating Team Event Day 1 | Page 112 | Golden Skate

2018 Olympic Figure Skating Team Event Day 1

readernick

Medalist
Mathman - really? Do the Math. Canada has a lead over Russia and that is not taking into consideration the great ole US of A of 4 points. If Kolyada wins the freeskate and Chan is fifth there goes that lead. If Evgenia or Alina beat the Canadian girls by four spots there goes the lead in either the short or long. I agree Virtue and Moir will be B/S in both long and short and could earn a 6 point lead for Canada but again between Pairs, Men's and women a total of 10 pts can be made up by Russia.

Possible, yes! It is possible, of course, because the single events are difficult to predict.
However, crunching the numbers tells us that Canada is in a good position for gold because:

17+10+(7/8/9)= 34/35//36

13+(7/8)+10= 30,31

Canada is likely to go into the free in a strong position. It is difficult to make up a lot of points in the free. Could Russia still win, sure! But, Canada has room for a few small errors

Cindy1983

Rinkside
My Thoughts

I thought the Team Competition was interesting last night. After one night of competition in the books, I have some thoughts.

I think Nathan Chen will recover. Anyone can have a bad night.

Knerium and Knerium KILLED IT last night. They have nothing to lose and will continue to make the most of this shot. I expect good things.

How about Israel, they unexpectedly KILLED IT.

The dance will be a good competition. Looking forward to it.

I won't comment on the men just yet, but I think it's good NC isn't doing the full team competition because I think that's a tall order. Look what happened to Yulia L in Sochi. She was the talk of the Team Comp only to flame out in the individual.

Now for the ladies. Marai Nagasu will make the most of this shot after all she put into getting here. I expect good things. Yes Russia has a legit shot for at least 2 medals, but I don't write off the American ladies so quickly. On any given night any one of them could be a spoiler. It all depends who can skate like they have nothing to lose and 'leave it all on the ice'. The battle for bronze in the singles will be interesting. It's pretty much a 5 way race between Russia, Canada, Japan, Italy and the US. It will come down to who skates like they have nothing to lose and 'leaves it all on the ice'.

A Note on Bradie Tennell: I do think she can be a spoiler even though she's inexperienced. The one thing I want to see is if she can handle her sudden success. One issue with the US ladies is that once they achieve some measure of success, they freeze up. It's almost like they're afraid of their own success. They don't build on it they shy away from it in fact. It's like they don't feel worthy of it in ssome ways. (For all her bombast, I believe Ashley was all or mostly talk.) They don't have the swagger of those that are top in the sport. That's what I appreciated about Starr Andrews. She believes she can SKATE with the best, CHALLENGE the best, BEAT the best and BE the best. She's a little fire cracker. If she keeps that swag and lays down the technical goods (especially if she can do it consistently), you're looking at your Olympic Gold Medalist in 2022. Ok, Back to Bradie. If she can embrace and build on her success, she'll be a formidable force in the individual event in addition to the team one.

May the best man win.

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
The whole idea of team event is frankly stupid. Like, is it normal when a skater completely failed his skate(Kolyada) but will most likely end up with an olympic medal through the merits of others? Or other skaters who aren't able to win gold(or medal) in their disciplines (Kolyada just being the best example after his fail).
I consider team event a meaningless medals giveaway for top federations. What's the point of holding a competition between 4 countries, with 3 medals available?

Gosh russianfan, you've had a year since joining this Forum to call it stupid and didn't. Seems like the only time it became an issue for you was after the results from last night. Was it stupid when you watched Yulia in 2014 win her one and only OGM, ...I wonder. As it's been a year on this Forum, I don't recall you ever bemoaning her medal or that of Plushy and others. Were these as well tainted or somehow unearned...

Here's the thing russianfan, try calling Team events 'stupid' to legends like Mark Spitz, Mary Lou Retton, Usain Bolt, or Michael Phelps, and see how they react to your dismissal of their Olympic medals and moments. But hey, if it helps your narrative in the next few days, ...'stupid' it is! :rolleye:

Seruleane

Final Flight
Two quick points:

1) I agree with those who have speculated that the early competition hour seems to have an ill effect om the Men. (And why are they scheduled at that hour? I assume the fees paid the IOC from NBC so that the competition will air in prime-time in the US has an impact?)

2) Yes, Nathan tanked. I'm not sure how the event was aired around the world, but in the US, television cameras followed him mercilessly after he arrived at the arena... they hounded him... to the point of following him entering the rest room (in fact he first almost went into the ladies by accident... completely captured by the cameras). Then NBC interviewed him (before and after SP)... and almost always a camera as he stretched, warmed up, drank water. True, most elite skaters are filmed backstage, but the level to witch Nathan was scrutinized was almost abusive. I can see how this could easily have affected his focus and concentration.

Totally agree. When they kept hyping Nathan up, I just knew something bad was going to happen. I mean, sure he is an amazing talent and one of the favorites this year, but they were acting like he was reigning World Champ or the male version of Evgenia or something. Much like Gracie Gold, I feel like the US media is just so desperate to pin their Olympic dreams on the new up and coming American youngster, it can be so distracting and end up having a negative impact for the athlete. I felt so bad when they basically cornered Nathan to interview him after his disastrous short. I know being in the Mix interview zone or whatever it is called is required but still. I heard Kolyada stormed past the reporters to avoid questioning, and I would've done something similar in the interest of self-preservation/not bawling on international TV. Kudos to Nathan for keeping it together and giving pretty honest, reasonable answers. Hope he redeems himself on the individual competitions.

fenway3

On the Ice
2) Yes, Nathan tanked.

In a sporting context, doesn't "tank" usually imply giving up or not trying? For instance, a tennis player could be accused of tanking a set. It doesn't sound like Chen just gave up or made no effort.

Baron Vladimir

Record Breaker
2) Yes, Nathan tanked. I'm not sure how the event was aired around the world, but in the US, television cameras followed him mercilessly after he arrived at the arena... they hounded him... to the point of following him entering the rest room (in fact he first almost went into the ladies by accident... completely captured by the cameras). Then NBC interviewed him (before and after SP)... and almost always a camera as he stretched, warmed up, drank water. True, most elite skaters are filmed backstage, but the level to witch Nathan was scrutinized was almost abusive. I can see how this could easily have affected his focus and concentration.

Which make me very sad to be frank. But thats the reality, 'corporations' carrying only about the gold and the stories, not for the people themselves...

Sabrina

Record Breaker
I hope videos from day 2 will be available as I can't watch them live. The men were so bad with a couple of exceptions, that I have no desire to review the splat fest, which I had the "pleasure" to watch live on my big TV, with no adds except for the Zamboni time. Thank you, CBC for showing all the skaters without commercials! Unfortunately, tomorrow I have tickets to concert. I would't have bought the tickets if I knew it's a day with FS in prime time.

jersey1302

On the Ice
Country
Canada
Well I don’t need to comment about the men because y’all did it lol. I will comment on that ridiculous blue strap across Morgan’s chest. Am I the only one who wants to snap it back sonit sling shots back at him before I cut it off and throw it in a river? Geeze lol.

rollerblade

Record Breaker
I'm not so sure. If past history is any guide, casual viewers might love his performance and wonder why he didn't place higher. He was certainly my favorite of the night.

Unless they decide to hit up NBC stream online, casual viewers in the US did not get to see Bychenko skate, because NBC decide to air a lame story segment on Nathan during Bychenko's program.

NAOTMAA

Medalist
In a sporting context, doesn't "tank" usually imply giving up or not trying? For instance, a tennis player could be accused of tanking a set. It doesn't sound like Chen just gave up or made no effort.

yes in sports "tanking" means to deliberately lose or purposely fail to finish which of course doesn't describe Nathan at all. I'm sure waxel didn't mean it that way and simply meant Nathan bombed/flopped ;)

ramurphy2005

Unabashed Mainer
On the Ice
Country
United-States
Unless they decide to hit up NBC stream online, casual viewers in the US did not get to see Bychenko skate, because NBC decide to air a lame story segment on Nathan during Bychenko's program.

With Spectrum in Maine (in my part of the state), CBC is part of my cable package, so I switched over to CBC for Bychenko. I switched back to NBC for the rest because NBC was in HD, but CBC was not HD.

NAOTMAA

Medalist
It unfortunately comes with the territory. Some skaters manage to rise above it, others fall victim to it. :noshake: At least they're not following him into the changing room like they do with Hanyu. Yet.

Times sure have changed. I don't think Michelle was followed around by cameras in Nagano right after Tara took the lead. Yeah we saw her walking down the halls wiping away tears :( but she was pretty much left alone. And of course in SLC they let her go behind the closed doors to be by herself without a moment of nastiness. Such things would never happen today. The media have long crossed the line, its unfortunate :disagree:

bixby

Final Flight
Times sure have changed. I don't think Michelle was followed around by cameras in Nagano right after Tara took the lead. Yeah we saw her walking down the halls wiping away tears :( but she was pretty much left alone. And of course in SLC they let her go behind the closed doors to be by herself without a moment of nastiness. Such things would never happen today. The media have long crossed the line, its unfortunate :disagree:

They're shameless to be honest! NASTY and DESPERATE to generate "clicks". :disagree:

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker

I would only add that they could have done the Nathan story at the start of the night when they instead did IIRC some meaning less political drivel. But it was oh so wrong to chock Bychenko in any case.

amateur

Final Flight
Gosh russianfan, you've had a year since joining this Forum to call it stupid and didn't. Seems like the only time it became an issue for you was after the results from last night. Was it stupid when you watched Yulia in 2014 win her one and only OGM, ...I wonder. As it's been a year on this Forum, I don't recall you ever bemoaning her medal or that of Plushy and others. Were these as well tainted or somehow unearned...

Here's the thing russianfan, try calling Team events 'stupid' to legends like Mark Spitz, Mary Lou Retton, Usain Bolt, or Michael Phelps, and see how they react to your dismissal of their Olympic medals and moments. But hey, if it helps your narrative in the next few days, ...'stupid' it is! :rolleye:

I for one totally agree with russianfan's opinion about the team event, and you will not be able to accuse me of a similar fan-based agenda or whatever.
(...and btw not that it should mean anything, but in case it does mean anything to you, I'm Canadian and pretty much all of the top Canadian skaters happen to be among my big favourites in the sport right now, who I love seeing succeed; I have no agenda to de-value the seemingly likely result of this competition). Now, good for all of the skaters for going out and achieving whatever they achieve with their skates in whatever competitive context is laid out for them -- they are certainly doing more than I am doing, and I absolutely give them a huge congratulations for anything at all that they go out and do on Olympic ice under any circumstance -- that does not mean the event is compelling at all, though, and it doesn't take away from the skaters' competitive achievements to state this opinion about the event.

And I don't read that the poster is calling all team events (in other sports as you name) "stupid", just this particular one in this particular sport, as evidenced by the rest of the post with its specificity to this event, and especially the comments about this amounting to a competition of 3 medals for the 4 top skating federations. Unless you are reading too much into the ommision of the word "the" (they clearly meant: "the whole idea of the (/ this) team event" instead of "the whole idea of team event(s)" in general; nowhere does the rest of the post suggest that the poster is even talking about team events in any other instance than this one). As an aside, I don't know if the poster is a Russian speaker (with excellent totally natural English fwiw), but it is very common for Russian speakers to accidentally omit the word "the" in English, because they don't use it much (or even at all?) in Russian. But maybe I'm the one making too many presumptions at this point (I'm an ESL teacher though, so this kind of thing jumps out at me - sorry if being too pedantic at this point, or if I'm even off the mark as I'm aware I may well be.)

And I agree: I find the event somewhat "stupid" (or at least "silly"). To go off onto my own tangent: The difference in most other individual sports that have these occasional team events, particularly "relay-type" ones in which any of the stars you mentioned were involved in, is that in most of those the team members unite and participate together in one common/shared performance (such as in a relay race) as a team against the rival teams. "Team" has more of a proper meaning there. Something like gymnastics, granted, is not really about this, and so it's much more similar to this skating thing, but even there what you have is multiple athletes from the team all going together through the same rounds, all being judged the same way against the same group all along the line, so it's showing off depth and consistency of the team in a more meaningful way than what this skating competition allows for with its convoluted way of picking and choosing who is to perform and be included (and excluded). This "team" skating competition is missing many of the key fundamentals displayed in these other types of team events -- I'd have to write a very long post if I was going to list all the problems I have with it, but this post is long enough already and many of the problems are already noted in bits and pieces by others elsewhere.

Another thing: I'm surely many people -- and especially those who really don't care for it -- barely even think about this once-every-four-years team event much at all, until it is upon us (sure they might be aware of it, inevitably as a fan of the sport, but do not necessarily invest much energy speculating over it), so I'm not sure how choosing not to bother to comment about it over the past year demonstrates anything? I certainly haven't felt the need to do so during the last year, even though I knew it was coming and despite my decidedly strongly negative opinion, because I simply prefer not to spend time thinking about it (much less writing about it as I'm taking the time to do now), and rather prefer discussing things I enjoy investing thought in. It's just now when the event is here and thrust into the spotlight for these few days, while we eagerly wait for the rest of the competition, that it becomes a more prominent discussion topic and a current bit of news to give opinions on. I will most gladly forget about it again soon enough, and go back to considering it not important enough of a thing to really mention, in my enjoyment of figure skating. I can only presume I'm not alone in this.

Your post comes off as way over-defensive. Sorry I felt compelled to jump in, and sorry if I am being too presumptious anywhere.

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Two quick points:

1) I agree with those who have speculated that the early competition hour seems to have an ill effect om the Men. (And why are they scheduled at that hour? I assume the fees paid the IOC from NBC so that the competition will air in prime-time in the US has an impact?)

It would seem so! Because I'm pretty sure at Sochi and other Winter Games they put the skating on in the evening, which makes sense because it's held indoors so it's not like it needs good sunlight or whatever.

Shakes fist at NBC, this is why we can't have nice things!

Ugh, that's awful! And I thought Aussie TV was bad with hyping up its athletes, it's proven to be quite unfortunate the last few Olympics as heavy favourites have faltered leaving the average viewer to wonder what the fuss is about. I can see them wanting to give Nathan a bit of attention, but the guy should be able to go to the bathroom in peace! I hope he'll do much better in the individual event (or will he be skating the FP for the Team event too?)

It gives me a feeling of anxiety.... i don't wanna think to the athletes how they should feel with all that purple...

Australia's female entry Kailani Craine is really happy about the purple, it's her favourite colour! :biggrin: Hopefully it'll give her good luck!