2018 Olympic Figure Skating Team Event Day 3 | Page 106 | Golden Skate

2018 Olympic Figure Skating Team Event Day 3

Eclair

Medalist
I'm sad that Rizzo never had a chance to score decently even if he totally out skates himself (which he did). Why continue at all then?

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Satoko was sooooo low-balled on PCS!!!

What would you have scored her marks? Here are mine but I’m forced to go by memory from Last night’s performance so it isn’t really all that reliable but I did it without looking at what the judges scored her for what that is worth :)

Skating Skills: 8.25
Transitions: 8.75
Performance: 8.75
Composition: 9.0
Interpretation of the Music: 9.5

Now I’m going to go see how I compared to the judges and see if I’d be reprimanded :laugh:

ETA: I don’t think I’d be reprimanded but I think the German Judge (Elke TREITZ) and I could get along quite well:)

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I'm sad that Rizzo never had a chance to score decently even if he totally out skates himself (which he did). Why continue at all then?

Short term: because Italy still had a chance at a medal, if the women and dance went differently

Long term: Because he's only 19 years old, and can still add more difficult content in future years.

skatesofgold

On the Ice
Country
United-States
How am I putting down skaters by remarking something that is true? Although I totally agree with the bold part, why is Alina being marked like she is beyond perfect? 75 PCS for a junior program/interpretation. When the flaws and deficiencies are in plain sight.

I have remarked Alina is an amazingly talented girl at her debut (could be more talented than Evegenia) with enormous potentials, just like Evegenia when she first debut, but the scoring are quite another, it is not only hurting the sport but also hurt them as a figure skater. It is a vicious circle, they have potentials, but judges are marking them like some bitcoins... betting on their future, which actually removes any motivation to improve. As of today, Evegenia's PCS should be well above Alina's but what happened? Russia new number 1 name tag reigns its ugly head again in the PCS department, everything BS I hate about PCS fake judging. Politics, federation judging, inflation to the scale we have never seen before.... worse than Sochi I'd say.

I was irked that you make it sound like backloading and tanos are a crime. I'm actually impressed by both Alina's and Mirai's technical achievements. Alina backloads and does a triple lutz triple loop, which you don't even often see from men. On the other hand, Mirai did an 8 triple long program. I think both of them are so impressive.

Bcash

Final Flight
No. They got the same levels as V/M and B/S today. They actually beat B/S on +GOE. 112 with this panel is solid. Not to mention that on several elements they earned the highest.

And for everyone's bellyaching about them using Coldplay, if you look on Twitter people are EXCITED that they are doing Coldplay. The Shibs' premonition that casual fans/the masses would appreciate the selection turned out to be on-point. Not to mention the audience was ON BOARD. You think they were at Skate America, not the freaking Olympics in South Korea.

Are casual viewers giving out scores? Do their opinions matter even a tiny bit?

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
Why are Chan and Rippon both doing two double axels?

Chan doubled his planned 3As, though he did rotate the last one which he fell on. Rippon planned two 2As because he wanted a clean skate and didn't want to attempt the 4Lz, though in hindsight I would have had him do the jump. Even if he got a < on it, it would be worth more than a perfect 2A.

bixby

Final Flight
I don’t know how many million times I’ve tried to hit the refresh button yesterday just to put my thoughts after Mirai DELIVERED what many has been waiting for years...

So glad we’re BACK!

By far Mirai Nagusu emerged THE BIGGEST STORY after this team event… Regardless of what happens in the individual competition, she did herself solid already with that historic, remarkable, unforgettable, once in a lifetime performance. SO PROUD!

I thought she was so nervous at the very start that she was gonna trip when she was skating along the board while setting up for that HUGE TRIPLE AXEL… She set herself up very well for coming ladies' event. The anticipation is through the roof now! If she skates like that in the long and had a decent short, she will be in the podium. Her marks will follow her performance. The pressure to hit that jump has been lifted. Now, she has the confidence and more freedom to skate and deliver a good one like practice.

Million views everywhere! Her star is brighter than anyone right now. She's the talk of the town...

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Are casual viewers giving out scores? Do their opinions matter even a tiny bit?

If you want the sport to continue to draw an audience, why yes, yes they do matter. More than a tiny bit.

The loss of that "casual" audience is what is responsible for the decline in the sport's popularity from its glory days two decades ago.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
If you want the sport to continue to draw an audience, why yes, yes they do matter. More than a tiny bit.

The loss of that "casual" audience is what is responsible for the decline in the sport's popularity from its glory days two decades ago.

And, besides, we all started out as casual fans once upon a time.

Anyasnake

Record Breaker
Social media is going crazy about figure skating. Wait until the pairs start and then... the men. Yuzuru is going to crash twitter just by stepping on the ice. :scard7:

Eclair

Medalist
Short term: because Italy still had a chance at a medal, if the women and dance went differently

Long term: Because he's only 19 years old, and can still add more difficult content in future years.

He's 19 and doesn't have a quad, doesn't even jump all his triples clean regularly. If he had stable triples it would be a different story, but like this he won't get 2 stable quads ever. And without them, judges will continue to underscore him even if he outskates himself again.

tjb

Match Penalty

if you want the sport to draw an audience you just need american skaters to win. the loss of the "casual" audience is only happening in the US. in japan popularity of the sport is bigger than ever

Artistry

On the Ice
Nobody is going to find American skaters on obscure streams. If you want the sport to be more popular, run figure skating on a main network on weekends, like ABC did for decades. That way people see it, get interested, little kids want to learn, etc.

GGFan

Record Breaker
Social media is going crazy about figure skating. Wait until the pairs start and then... the men. Yuzuru is going to crash twitter just by stepping on the ice. :scard7:

I'm so happy to hear this. Any excitement for figure skating sounds wonderful :hap57:

largeman

choice beef
Medalist
As it is, either Evegenia or Alina could fall twice and probably still beat everyone else! At least that's the way it seems to me.

It's true. And they could fall and not get a -3 GOE like others would because, well, tanos

Anyasnake

Record Breaker
I'm so happy to hear this. Any excitement for figure skating sounds wonderful :hap57:

Ice Dance is the "surprise" this year for the casual fan, people are loving it, #Shibsibs, Moulin Rouge, Coldplay were all trending on twitter after the final of Team event. I've seen comment on how people would like "other disciplines to have a theme" after the Latin SD (which people are loving because some skaters went bold with music despite the critics on the forums !).
Mirai Nagasu and Adam Rippon were trending for quite some time with over 70K each. The individual events are going to be insane if that is any indication.

GGFan

Record Breaker
Ice Dance is the "surprise" this year for the casual fan, people are loving it, #Shibsibs, Moulin Rouge, Coldplay were all trending on twitter after the final of Team event. I've seen comment on how people would like "other disciplines to have a theme" after the Latin SD (which people are loving because some skaters went bold with music despite the critics on the forums !).
Mirai Nagasu and Adam Rippon were trending for quite some time with over 70K each. The individual events are going to be insane if that is any indication.

I see more Despacito-like programs in our future :sad4::devil::dance3:

lavender

Record Breaker

I agree and there's a lost of actual figure skating fans too....at least in my world. My mom was a fan for I don't know how long...now all there is is tennis. After 2010 I think that was it for her. My mom knew almost who all the skaters were up to that point. She did tune in to watched Yu na lose...she wasn't happy about that. Now I have to remind her who Jason Brown is... My mom has turned into the every 4 year casual viewer.

chloepoco

Medalist
What would you have scored her marks? Here are mine but I’m forced to go by memory from Last night’s performance so it isn’t really all that reliable but I did it without looking at what the judges scored her for what that is worth :)

Skating Skills: 8.25
Transitions: 8.75
Performance: 8.75
Composition: 9.0
Interpretation of the Music: 9.5

Now I’m going to go see how I compared to the judges and see if I’d be reprimanded :laugh:

ETA: I don’t think I’d be reprimanded but I think the German Judge (Elke TREITZ) and I could get along quite well:)

I know this should be in Day 2, but anyway...

It’s not so much the actual numbers, as everything is relative to what others score. I definitely think, in that SP event, Satoko should be just behind Carolina, and then, most definitely ahead of the rest of the ladies.