2018 Olympics live reports | Page 7 | Golden Skate

2018 Olympics live reports

OniBan

Final Flight
I totally understand why people, including the coaches,wanted Evgenia to win.....
It's in our nature to be sympathetic especially when we see such dignity and wisedom in a person of only 18 years old. Although Alina is my sentimental favorite, I felt heartbroken for Evgenia for not winning this, especially after reading her thoughts. But this is life and sport.
And the coaches I think and hope they'll be professional and ensure equal treatment to both of them and to the others in the group.

I was at the ladies practice session earlier in the week- and had you seen how Eteri deals with both Alina and Evgenia you will NOT have any doubt that she treated them both fairly and equally in terms of attention and advice :)

Based on what I observed she gave them as much attention as she could the other and there were no favouritism nor lopsided treatment. After consulting Zhenya, (who then went to the ice) she will call over Alina and they will have a small talk by the rink, and then Alina goes off to the ice and so forth in succession and throughout the practice. I was never under the impression that one was treated better than the other.

madison

Record Breaker
I was at the ladies practice session earlier in the week- and had you seen how Eteri deals with both Alina and Evgenia you will NOT have any doubt that she treated them both fairly and equally in terms of attention and advice :)

Based on what I observed she gave them as much attention as she could the other and there were no favouritism nor lopsided treatment. After consulting Zhenya, (who then went to the ice) she will call over Alina and they will have a small talk by the rink, and then Alina goes off to the ice and so forth in succession and throughout the practice. I was never under the impression that one was treated better than the other.

Good to know... although in the K&C she always seems very disappointed when Evgenia loses to Alina.

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
We went to gala on our last Olympic day. Somehow seeing the best skaters in the world did not move me emotionally like, for example, a year ago at Russian nationals in Chelyabinsk. Even at the Europeans it was more fun. May be I am too tired already, may be I saw most of the programs more than once by now.

Some highlights.

Yuzuru was unbelievable today. What a performance. And coming out of nowhere 3A. It was gorgeous.

Javier was a pure joy. Although the theme of aerobics is not new, I guess, he made changes. Anyway it was fun.

V/M were perfect as well. B/S skated like they had a big party the night before. S/S were a good contrast skating after them same as P/C. C/L were enjoyable - I prefer their gala routines vs. their competitive ones by far and large. But V/M were still on a different level.

It was a weird Korean pair with very basic skills. Among pairs M/H were the highlight same as at the Europeans. Although Andrej did not risk this time to show his biceps and abs. S/H showed a very emotional "Run" program. T/M were quite basic although the throw was good - the way it had to be during the free program.

As for the ladies, there was another strange performance of 2 Korean juniors. My wife had a theory that they did that to save the time. Satoko was lovely as usual but I would expect her to do something different from her usual routines. Kaetlyn had issues with jumping 2As and did not bother much overall. Evgenya showed another time how fast she can be skating like they did it before - with few transitions. She had an unsuccessful 3F attempt - looked like she was to near to the boards. But then she did a clean beautiful rippon triple in the middle of the rink. Alina's tiger program was fun to watch for the first time. But I saw it live for the third time. It's not DQ with the infinite replay value. Still she showed she is the boss doing 3Lz-3T and 2 more triples in the gala.

OK, we are at the airport. It was an outstanding experience for us - we are very happy to be here in Korea for these 2 unforgettable weeks!

What's next? Milano could be an idea but the tickets are no longer offered. May be something interesting is in the classifieds.

rollerblade

Record Breaker
What's next? Milano could be an idea but the tickets are no longer offered. May be something interesting is in the classifieds.

I'm envious of your figure skating budget! :biggrin:

Thanks for the live reports. They are enjoyable reads and eye-opening for someone who has never seen any skating in person.

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
We went to gala on our last Olympic day. Somehow seeing the best skaters in the world did not move me emotionally like, for example, a year ago at Russian nationals in Chelyabinsk. Even at the Europeans it was more fun. May be I am too tired already, may be I saw most of the programs more than once by now.

Some highlights.

Yuzuru was unbelievable today. What a performance. And coming out of nowhere 3A. It was gorgeous.

Javier was a pure joy. Although the theme of aerobics is not new, I guess, he made changes. Anyway it was fun.

V/M were perfect as well. B/S skated like they had a big party the night before. S/S were a good contrast skating after them same as P/C. C/L were enjoyable - I prefer their gala routines vs. their competitive ones by far and large. But V/M were still on a different level.

It was a weird Korean pair with very basic skills. Among pairs M/H were the highlight same as at the Europeans. Although Andrej did not risk this time to show his biceps and abs. S/H showed a very emotional "Run" program. T/M were quite basic although the throw was good - the way it had to be during the free program.

As for the ladies, there was another strange performance of 2 Korean juniors. My wife had a theory that they did that to save the time. Satoko was lovely as usual but I would expect her to do something different from her usual routines. Kaetlyn had issues with jumping 2As and did not bother much overall. Evgenya showed another time how fast she can be skating like they did it before - with few transitions. She had an unsuccessful 3F attempt - looked like she was to near to the boards. But then she did a clean beautiful rippon triple in the middle of the rink. Alina's tiger program was fun to watch for the first time. But I saw it live for the third time. It's not DQ with the infinite replay value. Still she showed she is the boss doing 3Lz-3T and 2 more triples in the gala.

OK, we are at the airport. It was an outstanding experience for us - we are very happy to be here in Korea for these 2 unforgettable weeks!

they saved the best for last!! does delayed 1A look as gorgeous as it is on TV?? and that 3A entry is my favourite and for me definiton of integrating jump into the program :love:
glad you and your wife had great time and thanks for the reports!!

anyanka

Record Breaker
Anyone know why Yuna Kim wasn't invited to the gala? I thought they would give her a number for sure, even if she didn't skate, given how she's such a major star in South Korea.

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
Anyone know why Yuna Kim wasn't invited to the gala? I thought they would give her a number for sure, even if she didn't skate, given how she's such a major star in South Korea.

I think that was her own decision. She was surely expected: the venue was full and there were mostly Koreans. In fact, gala tickets were not sold at all in Russia. I had to buy from New Horizons.

bewitched

On the Ice
Hi everyone! I want to congratulate you all who managed to be part of the Olympic experience - I am sure it was unforgettable and I wish I could feel the Olympic atmosphere one day. But for now, I am going to my first World Championships in Milan and I have never been to such an event with so many world-class skaters before (only to three Junior Worlds which took part in my country a few years ago but I didn't have any observations on the junior skaters back then).
I really want to meet some of the skaters in Milan and maybe ask for an autograph or a photo (both would be perfect...). So, since you already have this experience, I want to ask you if it is possible and when is the best time to give it a try. I assume before the competition it's a bad idea because even if I meet somebody, they will be super focused and I don't want to be irritating. But during practice sessions or after the competition, is it possible to get to somebody? I will attend only the Free Programs for the Ladies, Men and Ice Dance and maybe the morning practice on Saturday.
I don't have a ticket for the Exhibition but I am still wondering if it is worth taking a later flight on Sunday just in order to go to the Stadium after the Gala and to try getting autographs from the skaters (I think they are more relaxed during the Gala in comparison to the competition days).
I hope that some of you will give me an advice, it would be really helpful!

anyanka

Record Breaker
A big thank you to everyone who attended and posted updates here! It's not the same as being there, but am very happy to hear that so many had such a wonderful time. :)

OniBan

Final Flight
Hi everyone! I want to congratulate you all who managed to be part of the Olympic experience - I am sure it was unforgettable and I wish I could feel the Olympic atmosphere one day. But for now, I am going to my first World Championships in Milan and I have never been to such an event with so many world-class skaters before (only to three Junior Worlds which took part in my country a few years ago but I didn't have any observations on the junior skaters back then).
I really want to meet some of the skaters in Milan and maybe ask for an autograph or a photo (both would be perfect...). So, since you already have this experience, I want to ask you if it is possible and when is the best time to give it a try. I assume before the competition it's a bad idea because even if I meet somebody, they will be super focused and I don't want to be irritating. But during practice sessions or after the competition, is it possible to get to somebody? I will attend only the Free Programs for the Ladies, Men and Ice Dance and maybe the morning practice on Saturday.
I don't have a ticket for the Exhibition but I am still wondering if it is worth taking a later flight on Sunday just in order to go to the Stadium after the Gala and to try getting autographs from the skaters (I think they are more relaxed during the Gala in comparison to the competition days).
I hope that some of you will give me an advice, it would be really helpful!

Ok I didn't have much luck in hunting down skaters for pictures etc at the Olympics tbh XD The only skater (currently competing that is) I managed to get a photo with is Malaysian skater Julian Yee - and that's because he happened to be on the same flight I was on back home. So I literally met him at the airport!

But I think the closest one was able to get to them was after the practice session and possibly in between while they are waiting for their turn on the ice. Of course you'll have to be considerate and not disturb them if they are 'in the zone' but sometimes if they seem to be not too busy then maybe you can approach them. For example SamL was able to get a photo with Ivette Toth during practice as she was jogging around the spectators arena while waiting for her time on ice.

Best time might beafter the practice session itself once they are done, or just before the victory ceremony after the competition is done. In case of the former, sometimes if you are lucky skaters from the earlier sessions might still be hanging around. Like at the Olympics practice session, Gabby Daleman was practically lounging around with her coaches during the last group ladies practice session and were so close to the spectators seats.