2018 Russian FS Championship - Ice Dance SD | Page 6 | Golden Skate

2018 Russian FS Championship - Ice Dance SD

bramweld

Record Breaker
Where's my chocolate? I got depressed. I need chocolate. A whole lot of chocolate.

Why are you depressed? This has been a great SD competition. There is only three points between 3rd and 4th right? Tomorrow will be a nail biter. But if Nikita or Vicki go for too much they'll have a repeat of Minsk on their hands. Yeeesss!! Congrats to the top three.

LittleLotte29

Record Breaker
Why are you depressed? This has been a great SD competition. There is only three points between 3rd and 4th right? Tomorrow will be a nail biter. But if Nikita or Vicki go for too much they'll have a repeat of Minsk on their hands. Yeeesss!! Congrats to the top three.

I'm depressed because today none of my favourite skaters did their best, neither are Russian Nats, nor at Japanese Nats :(
What is even more depressing, these results are actually fair. :p so I don't have even the mere consolation of "this stupid politicking".

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
Stepanova/Bukin were on fire today, everything got quite in their way I feel:timing, elements, connection between them and with the audience... They exuded confidence and focus about their material and execution of it. Whatever to be said about her edges, their programs, music or cliche level of it-they are sticking to themselves, got material that feeds off their youthfulness and chemistry and they are hitting it with conviction.

On a side note, Svinin/Zhuk antics during their pupils Dance shown during replays made my day :), happy for all four of them, love Ivan's happiness about score

LadyB

Record Breaker
Even if I’m not mad about their SD, I love Dima & Katia. I had a great day (Sergei could be one notch up), but hey. Onwards and upwards!

Anyasnake

Record Breaker
I'm depressed because today none of my favourite skaters did their best, neither are Russian Nats, nor at Japanese Nats :(
What is even more depressing, these results are actually fair. :p so I don't have even the mere consolation of "this stupid politicking".

You're right though, there is a slight "inflation" on PCS but that's expected from nationals, but nothing crazy in ice dance. I expected B/S to be ahead on points, mistakes or not and looking at the point difference (the only thing that matters), I'm surprised that it's actually quite correct.

bramweld

Record Breaker

That's what I'm saying. But it's still pretty close. Tomorrow could be a better day for your faves. It would be rather shocking to not see S/K on the podium they have done well with the FD during the GP.

LittleLotte29

Record Breaker
You're right though, there is a slight "inflation" on PCS but that's expected from nationals, but nothing crazy in ice dance. I expected B/S to be ahead on points, mistakes or not and looking at the point difference (the only thing that matters), I'm surprised that it's actually quite correct.

Well... Yes, this is what I have written, isn't it? The results are fair, thus I have no consolation in the politicking thing. Because there was no politicking. Is it clear now?

Anyasnake

Record Breaker
They've got to give them decent feedback this year. The Olympics is less than 50 days away....

I agree. Euros are 4 weeks away, Olympics 50 days away. It's now or never for those levels, or it's a point less there, another one here, and boom, that's a lot to catch up in Ice Dance.

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
They've got to give them decent feedback this year. The Olympics is less than 50 days away....

Yup. But still, for the level of presentation S/B had, they are still tied with a quite messy B/S - who are lucky they are mature enough to deal with a bad SD. Three out of five elements were very wonky today.

Better now than later in the season, tho.

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
I agree. Euros are 4 weeks away, Olympics 50 days away. It's now or never for those levels, or it's a point less there, another one here, and boom, that's a lot to catch up in Ice Dance.

It was the problem B/S had to deal with at Worlds this year. The PSt put them out of contention because of a level.

lauravvv

Medalist
Country
Latvia
It's zamboni time, so let me digress with you. What are they doing with Morozov? He is just such a disorganized coach. Their SD I admired when they finally got it together but they go back to Je Suis Malade and he has only one (1) senior ice dance team. Years from now we're going to read an autobiography telling us that Morozov was literally paid to mess these guys up. I have never seen them having so many issues in one season, ribs, knees, programs, costumes. They should have run from him a LOOOONGGG time ago.
Even ice dancers can have injuries with any coach. But Poje hurt his knee (not seriously, though) when he fell in the warm-up at Trophee de France. That definitely can't be blamed on their coach. As for their programs, the SD is fine (as you yourself said), but their original 'Spartacus' FD was choreographed by Lori Nichol, not Morozov. The problem was that she is inexperienced in ice dance choreography, and the FD needed too many changes which they had no time for. They did not get a new FD (neither from Morozov, nor from anyone else), but returned to an old FD instead for the same reason for which they discarded the 'Spartacus' FD - they explained that they wanted to have a program that was practically ready at that point of the season, not one in early stages of development with a long way to go (not their exact words, but that was the gist). Morozov said in an interview a long time ago that he considers W/P's 'Je Suis Malade' the best program they've ever done (the same as many ice dance fans), so it's natural that he suggested a return to it. Finally, as for costumes, I personally really like Kaitlyn's SD dress and the flowers in her hair - it's unusual and different from what other female ice dancers are wearing for the SD. And I am not alone in liking that dress etc., so it's debatable whether it's as bad as you and some others think.

bramweld

Record Breaker
Even ice dancers can have injuries with any coach. But Poje hurt his knee (not seriously, though) when he fell in the warm-up at Trophee de France. That definitely can't be blamed on their coach. As for their programs, the SD is fine (as you yourself said), but their original 'Spartacus' FD was choreographed by Lori Nichol, not Morozov. The problem was that she is inexperienced in ice dance choreography, and the FD needed too many changes which they had no time for. They did not get a new FD (neither from Morozov, nor from anyone else), but returned to an old FD instead for the same reason for which they discarded the 'Spartacus' FD - they explained that they wanted to have a program that was practically ready at that point of the season, not one in early stages of development with a long way to go (not their exact words, but that was the gist). Morozov said in an interview a long time ago that he considers W/P's 'Je Suis Malade' the best program they've ever done (the same as many ice dance fans), so it's natural that he suggested a return to it. Finally, as for costumes, I personally really like Kaitlyn's SD dress and the flowers in her hair - it's unusual and different from what other female ice dancers are wearing for the SD. And I am not alone in liking that dress etc., so it's debatable whether it's as bad as you and some others think.

Actually I love everything about their new SD dress and all. My issue is primarily with the poor management of their Olympic season. IMHO, JSM, needs a bit of rawness for lack of a better word to have more impact. W/P needed a new FD that would show them off at their best and be even a bit of a surprise, JSM just comes off as old, been there done that, to me. But hey let's discuss this further at Canadian Nationals which isn't too far away. :)

A few thoughts from today after rewatching the SDs;

1. Annabel Morozov has lots of energy and spunk but her basic skating needs work. On the GP circuit that dance would not have
scored more than 50 points. Karpanossov looked in pain afterwards.

2. Zhulin and his team should have given B/S a decent SD long ago. That dance is embarrasssing and they perform it as if they
know this. It must be tiresome to skate such a program so many times in what is your last Olympic season.

3. Zhulin, can be so stubborn. For the entire season Victoria has been struggling to keep up with Nikita on those break neck
speed twizzles. It was highly likely that she would have an error on them as she almost did the same thing at SA. If they were
just a bit more cautious they would have easily been in third place.

4. Forgive me for saying this but please Pavel Drozd needs a new partner. Alla is not coping well. I don't care who it is as long
as they can create a better impression than these two do, it doesn't reflect well on Russian ice dance. I don't want to hurt her
feelings or their fans, so I'm also asking is she injured or ill? Because she just isn't keeping up with him. Is there a way for
him to slow down and skate at her level? Would the level drop significantly? Just my honest impressions.

5. Tomorrow, first place is up for grabs between S/B and B/S it should be thrilling.