2018 Russian Junior Nationals - Pairs | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2018 Russian Junior Nationals - Pairs

puremagic

-
Record Breaker
Well, this season might end curse of Russian pairs since 2010 year, especially if Katia and Harley will skate at the Olympics and Senior Worlds, juniors are not their level.
Moreover, if all pairs will be clean, they should take all first three places at JW. Interesting. [emoji848]

starla16

Medalist
I dont want them to win gold anyways, aren't the russian gold medalists pairs cursed from the early 2000s
only the silver medalists Stolbova / KLimov and Tarasova / Morozov have been successful to seniors

hanca

Record Breaker
I dont want them to win gold anyways, aren't the russian gold medalists pairs cursed from the early 2000s
only the silver medalists Stolbova / KLimov and Tarasova / Morozov have been successful to seniors

There is plenty of silver medallists who disappeared too. Iliuschetchkina/Maisuradze, Martiusheva/Rogonov, Takahashi/Tran, Mishina/Mirzoev... and bronze medallists too - Borisova/Sopot, Fedorova/Miroshkin, Vygalova/Zakroev, Davankova/Deputat... I think it is fair to say that most of junior worlds medallists don’t last that long or if they last, they may not be able to be as succesful in seniors (although there is several exceptions, but the majority don’t ). So it is not gold places that are cursed.

starla16

Medalist
There is plenty of silver medallists who disappeared too. Iliuschetchkina/Maisuradze, Martiusheva/Rogonov, Takahashi/Tran, Mishina/Mirzoev... and bronze medallists too - Borisova/Sopot, Fedorova/Miroshkin, Vygalova/Zakroev, Davankova/Deputat... I think it is fair to say that most of junior worlds medallists don’t last that long (although there is several exceptions, but the majority doesn’t). So it is not gold places that are cursed.

I notice only mature looking skaters and non pre pubescent girls will have a better longevity like Stolbova and Tarasova
Im putting on Mishina / Galliamov they have 3-3s and she is post pubescent

hanca

Record Breaker
I notice only mature looking skaters and non pre pubescent girls will have a better longevity like Stolbova and Tarasova
I wouldn’t say that the mature pairs will last, but I would say that they are closer to seniors than others. Not necessarily by age but by skills and by physical development. Boikova/Kozlovski, Mishina/Galliamov, Poluyanova/Sopot, Pavliuschenko/Khodykin and Kvartalova/Sviatchenko should have easier transfer to seniors than some of the other pairs, because the chances are that the girls are probably very close to their ‘adult’ size. Obviously anything can happen, we saw how Davankova gradually outgrew Deputat, but they seem to be coping well with puberty and not losing jumps, and the boys are tall enough to cope with their size. With pairs like Akhanteva/Kolesov and Kostiukovich/Yalin, we have to enjoy them while we can because I feel there is a lot of uncertainty about their growing (could they outgrow their partner?) and about puberty (will they start struggling with jumps?). That’s not to say that they will not last, but the probability is 50:50, whereas the five pairs I named above, I would say their chances are more towards 80-90%.

hanca

Record Breaker
Don't even know. As you said, almost every pair has the same BV. Every pair has fair GOE as well. Akhanteva/Kolesov' throw was awesome, so I agree with +2. And what we have at the end - the PCS difference, but there are also all quite correct. Let's wait a free program, there we'll see a full picture. As for Akhanteva/Kolesov, we need to judge at least by two starts. Yeah, they failed their first JGP, but it's hard to say comparing only one international event with many local competitions.

I checked one more time their Riga's scores. They lost about ~2.5 points in PCS to Panfilova. And I guess it's because of the spoiled SP. If they were clean - it could be almost the same PCS with 0.5 or 1 +/- difference.

That’s the thing. I don’t believe the PCS and GOE are always fair. For example, I think Mishina/Galliamov we’re slightly overscored, and Kvartalova/Sviatchenko slightly underscored. Kvartalova/Sviatchenko have many elements that are of a very high quality and yet the GOE were very modest. Mishina/Galliamov were having good elements, but they skate as if skating was a very hard job. It can be fixed within a year, for example Boikova/Kozlovski made huge improvement in their skating skills in comparison with the last season.

hanca

Record Breaker
Don't even know. As you said, almost every pair has the same BV. Every pair has fair GOE as well. Akhanteva/Kolesov' throw was awesome, so I agree with +2. And what we have at the end - the PCS difference, but there are also all quite correct. Let's wait a free program, there we'll see a full picture. As for Akhanteva/Kolesov, we need to judge at least by two starts. Yeah, they failed their first JGP, but it's hard to say comparing only one international event with many local competitions.

I checked one more time their Riga's scores. They lost about ~2.5 points in PCS to Panfilova. And I guess it's because of the spoiled SP. If they were clean - it could be almost the same PCS with 0.5 or 1 +/- difference.

I would put
1. Pavliuschenko/Khodykin
2. Kostiukovich/Yalin - they really delivered this time
3. Kvartalova/Sviatchenko - I think they paid for their inconsistent skating throughout the season
4. Mishina/Galliamov - they are good, but do they really deserve some of the GOE and PCS?
5. Boikova/Kozlovski - I love them this season, but the FS was a mess! It felt like the judges were careful not to bury them too deep.

vesperalvioletta

Medalist
Country
United-States
Is there video of Kostiukovich / Ialin anywhere? I slept in this morning and missed the pairs FS. I’m dying to see their clean free!

starla16

Medalist
I would put
3. Kvartalova/Sviatchenko - I think they paid for their inconsistent skating throughout the season
4. Mishina/Galliamov - they are good, but do they really deserve some of the GOE and PCS?
5. Boikova/Kozlovski - I love them this season, but the FS was a mess! It felt like the judges were careful not to bury them too deep.

Mishina / Galliamov deserve to go, they are senior eligible next season

puremagic

-
Record Breaker
I would put

Agree, although in the free skate both Kvartalova and Mishina gave me the same feeling, that something is missing in these pairs. In SP Kvartalova was better, as I said I'd put them into the first place, but in the free skate both pairs looked weak. I guess judges gave them such high PCS because at other junior pairs' background they looked more mature.

Boikova/Kozlovski - really well-deserved the highest PCS, but Sasha needs to do something with her consistency, this is not the first time when she spoils program, in previous season they were not so good as a pair, but were consistent, this season on the contrary. Don't know what's her problem.

Also I'd like to see Kudryavtseva/Spiridonov, sad they weren't there. They have really good short program! I wonder who is Pavlova's choreographer? [emoji848] That's always joy to watch their programs, always something interesting and cool. I know they were competing as seniors, but still Mishina somehow made it, to be at both competitions.

Is there video of Kostiukovich / Ialin anywhere? I slept in this morning and missed the pairs FS. I’m dying to see their clean free!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kagxp963K9I

hanca

Record Breaker

The fact that they are senior eligible next season has nothing to do with how they skated today and whether they deserve to go. The best should be sent, not the ones who ‘deserve’ to go because they will become senior eligible.

hanca

Record Breaker
Agree, although in the free skate both Kvartalova and Mishina gave me the same feeling, that something is missing in these pairs. In SP Kvartalova was better, as I said I'd put them into the first place, but in the free skate both pairs looked weak. I guess judges gave them such high PCS because at other junior pairs' background they looked more mature.

Boikova/Kozlovski - really well-deserved the highest PCS, but Sasha needs to do something with her consistency, this is not the first time when she spoils program, in previous season they were not so good as a pair, but were consistent, this season on the contrary. Don't know what's her problem.

Also I'd like to see Kudryavtseva/Spiridonov, sad they weren't there. They have really good short program! I wonder who is Pavlova's choreographer? [emoji848] That's always joy to watch their programs, always something interesting and cool. I know they were competing as seniors, but still Mishina somehow made it, to be at both competitions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kagxp963K9I

Kudryavtseva/Spiridonov couldn’t be here because they attended only one Russian cup. Apparently she was injured at the beginning of the season. They had promising score at the Russian cup, so they are probably very comparable to those competing here and would probably be somewhere in the middle of the pack or higher (definitely not the bottom third). The chances are we will see them next season at the JGP events. We still may see them at the nationals of elder age and at Russian cup final.

I agree with you about Boikova/Kozlovski. They already skate as seniors, nice and easy gliding on the ice. If they land the jumps, then will get even internationally pretty good scores. But if they don’t land jumps, they will be pushed down much worse than it happened here. I think the judges here were quite generous towards them in the FS. Although I was surprised that they placed fourth - I thought the federation would want them at the junior worlds and that’s why they will get some completely ridiculous PCS like Konstantinova did.

I disagree that Kvartalova/Sviatchenko looked weak in the FS. They did make a mistake, but the rest of the elements were strong, and they don’t skate heavy and laboured. There was a good energy level. All they missed were some two points which is very easily made on PCS and GOE.

atsumiri

Record Breaker
i like Mishina / Galliamov today. Shame about mistake on combo but otherwise it was clean. :thumbsup:
Pavliuschenko/Khodykin is my fovorite :love::love: junior pair
Kvartalova/Sviatchenko they have two amazing programs. :love: But too many mistakes in this FS.
Kostiukovich/Yalin my guilty pleasure! :eek:: their SP..... :sad21: they are very unstable.... Lots of mistakes during this season but technically.. they're a very strong pair.
She is almost 15 y.o! her Birthday is 07 March 2003! AND SHE IS REALLY SMALL! 140 cm.
https://pp.userapi.com/c840136/v840136196/6c857/X5ybD57G-DU.jpg
https://pp.userapi.com/c841229/v841229867/60b1b/gXQ_QpARTbY.jpg

Fair scores for pair event.

hanca

Record Breaker

I enjoy watching pair skaters no matter whether they are pre or post puberty. It is not important to me. But I am aware that there is still a big questionmark about how the pre puberty pair girls turn out. They may grow so tall that they will be completely unsuitable for pairs, or they may struggle with jumps until their partner lose patience, dump them and then they won’t find another partner... But it still doesn’t prevent me to feel a huge respect for the skills they have now and enjoy watching them perform those skills.

hanca

Record Breaker

Just checked the dates of birth. Many pairs are senior eligible next season. If you mean they will age out of juniors, they won’t. They have two more full seasons in juniors.

3T3T

Final Flight
Country
Ireland
That was two days of very good skating, plenty of creative and entertaining programmes. There is great depth in Russian junior skating at the moment but it will be interesting to see how many progress to the senior ranks.

P/K were good value for their win, their short is one of my favourites this season. Im not so sure of the free, to many music cuts and I feel she is a bit young for Chicago. Still they have good content and land all the hard stuff. I’ve been very impressed with M/G this season, they have gelled very well for anew team. They look well equipped to move into the senior ranks. I would definitely have them on the podium, hopefully do the same at junior worlds.

K/Y had an an outstanding skate. When they are on they are great but they are a bit inconsistent. Their programmes are not my cup of tea, at least the ending pose in the free has changed. I’m a big fan of B/K but they had a rough outing and I think were marked generously for what they delivered. K/S had the best the skate of their season but the judges could have gone with them a bit more, they have some really innovative and creative elements. Disappointed for P/R, they had a great season but the sbs hurts them, I’m not convinced of their long term future.

Hard to believe that Maksim Bobrov is still in juniors. His new partner looks very young, maybe a max of 14? The routine seeemed somewhat inappropriate for a junior couple. Did Z/B not qualify? I liked them but but their last outing in Zagreb, was not very good. Also FSuniverse had a report the U/V have split and he has a tryout with Atakhanova.

hanca

Record Breaker
Maksim Bobrov will age out after this season, but she won’t be senior eligible yet.

Zhuk/Britkov usually do both juniors and seniors russian cup events, but this seaon they did only one junior and no senior events. Probably injured?

Country
Russia
The best in Junior Pairs - a lot of pairs with triples.
In past were many pairs who had serious problems of triple jumps. Fedorova, Vygalova and others because of this had no chance in Seniors. Bazarova did not have highest results because it.

So jumping pairs - it is very good.