2018 Russian Junior Nationals - Pairs | Page 4 | Golden Skate

2018 Russian Junior Nationals - Pairs

hanca

Record Breaker
Alex, do you know what they are doing with Panfilova to get her the triples? She is brilliant with all other elements and pretty consistent with getting the highest levels. Surely they won’t let a talent like this to waste? Anything they put in place? Like sending her for six months to Pluschenko or to Mishin?

Country
Russia
Alex, do you know what they are doing with Panfilova to get her the triples? She is brilliant with all other elements and pretty consistent with getting the highest levels. Surely they won’t let a talent like this to waste? Anything they put in place? Like sending her for six months to Pluschenko or to Mishin?
It is typical for pairs from Perm - very good all except girl's jumps.
And as a rule problem can not be solved - girls (not only from Perm, from Moscow too) for a months have practice at coaches whose single skaters-girls have the best jumps, with no effect.

hanca

Record Breaker
It is typical for pairs from Perm - very good all except girl's jumps.
And as a rule problem can not be solved - girls (not only from Perm, from Moscow too) for a months have practice at coaches whose single skaters-girls have the best jumps, with no effect.

They must be able to sort it out. If there can be 18 junior and 18 senior girls at the nationals who have the full set of triples and triple-triple combinations in their programs, surely the Russian coaches must have skills to teach a few pair girls TWO different triples. I mean, we are talking about only two triples, not the full set. Not triple-triple combinations. Just two different triples. That’s not that much to ask. I honest don’t believe someone like Mishin or Pluschenko would not manage that. (I am naming Pluschenko because even though he hasn’t proved himself as a coach yet, he went through Mishin’s school, so he must know how he was taught).

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
I think it's partly mentality. To do well in singles, you MUST have triple-triples if you're a Russian lady. That's not necessarily the case in junior pairs, although it is in seniors, so there might be less of a "I must be able to do __ in order to succeed" and thus less triples.

hanca

Record Breaker
Panfilova/Rylov were very lucky this year. It is possible to place well at junior level internationally even without triples, but to be able to do so their federation would have to send them. And while they were sent to JGP this year because other teams were not ready, the marking of internal competitions shows that the federation is clearly favouring pairs who do have triples. While internationally they could make up for the lacking jumps with hig level of all other elements, at home the judges seem to make sure they can’t make up for the jumps. So I am worried that they won’t be sent to JGP next season, even though if they were sent, they would do well. The fact that they placed as the highest Russian junior pair at JGPF will not mean anything if they are not sent to the JGP.

Spirals for Miles

Record Breaker
well the only reason that P/K weren't second was because of P's freak fall in the short...

hanca

Record Breaker
well the only reason that P/K weren't second was because of P's freak fall in the short...

Hmmm, I have to say that it is not a very persuasive argument. You could say the same about any top skaters that they could win if they didn’t fall. The bottom line is that they DID fall. At competitions it is not ‘the best’ skater/pair/dance couple that wins; it is the won that manage to deliver on that particular event when it counts. That includes being able to handle the competition pressure. If P/K were as great as you are making them, they wouldn’t have the fall.

Spirals for Miles

Record Breaker
Hmmm, I have to say that it is not a very persuasive argument. You could say the same about any top skaters that they could win if they didn’t fall. The bottom line is that they DID fall. At competitions it is not ‘the best’ skater/pair/dance couple that wins; it is the won that manage to deliver on that particular event when it counts. That includes being able to handle the competition pressure. If P/K were as great as you are making them, they wouldn’t have the fall.

well yes, they lost because they fell
but clearly, over the course of the season, they've been better
they were the top qualifiers to JGPF and beat P/R by 16 points in Belarus, where they both medaled
they won junior nationals by a huge margin. P/R were what? 7th?

hanca

Record Breaker
well yes, they lost because they fell
but clearly, over the course of the season, they've been better
they were the top qualifiers to JGPF and beat P/R by 16 points in Belarus, where they both medaled
they won junior nationals by a huge margin. P/R were what? 7th?

I am not arguing that on an average day P/R are better than P/K. What I am saying is that there is several pairs (including P/R) that are pretty close to each other, and in any international competition any of them can come on top. (At home competition the judges would influence the results a bit to help some of those pairs if need be).